There will almost certainly be a Final Fantasy 7 remake

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts

Head of Activision has stated that cost for games development will rise to the 60 million mark next gen.

With all the extra 3D animators and programmers needed, the costs are going to rise.

now not many companies can take a risk on a new IP, free radical and factor 5 are good examples, so many of the games you will see coming out now ( this year ) are just sequals, such as assassins creed 2, modern warfare 2, halo odst, which financially are safe bets for a return.

So next gen when costs are high and risks will be kept to a minimum, you will almost certainly see a remake of Final Fantasy 7, Square Enix know the fans want it, and know it would sell ridiculous amounts.

your thoughts

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
hell no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
hell nohy4k
Hell yes
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

it could happen but i dont think it will, not for another 5 years at least to be honest, they will wait till its like 15 years old before they remake it i think.But the strong sales of a re-release on the PS1 classic scheme may prompt them to reconsider it in a much closer time frame.As it shows theres still intrest in the title and could be a major "get money quick" scheme for piggybacking other developements in a sense.

mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 mand_450
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts

[QUOTE="hy4k"]hell noscottiescott238
Hell yes

Hell Maybe

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Head of Activision has stated that cost for games development will rise to the 60 million mark next gen.

With all the extra 3D animators and programmers needed, the costs are going to rise.

now not many companies can take a risk on a new IP, free radical and factor 5 are good examples, so many of the games you will see coming out now ( this year ) are just sequals, such as assassins creed 2, modern warfare 2, halo odst, which financially are safe bets for a return.

So next gen when costs are high and risks will be kept to a minimum, you will almost certainly see a remake of Final Fantasy 7, Square Enix know the fans want it, and know it would sell ridiculous amounts.

your thoughts

scottiescott238

anything is possible.... however its not a nice future if we can only expect sequels or remakes... am always more looking forward to new IP's...

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Malta_1980

[QUOTE="scottiescott238"][QUOTE="hy4k"]hell nomand_450

Hell yes

Hell Maybe

Hell maybe not

:)

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#8 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Next gen? :|

If FF7 isn't remade this gen, then it won't happen next gen.

I belive SE has done the research and decided a remake of FF7 wouldn't be worth the cost.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
if it happens it will be multiplat or PSP. if it happends it will be this gen 60 million dollar games take a lot resource. hell 20 million dollar games take a lot of resources. that's why there's barely any exclusives for HD systems
mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mand_450

[QUOTE="mand_450"]

[QUOTE="scottiescott238"] Hell yesMalta_1980

Hell Maybe

Hell maybe not

Hell Jackpot! You win! :lol:

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Malta_1980

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

[QUOTE="mand_450"]

Hell Maybe

mand_450

Hell maybe not

:) I won????great... i hope its the usualchocolate chip cookie :P

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I belive SE has done the research and decided a remake of FF7 wouldn't be worth the cost.

LosDaddie
Ya but there's a difference between remaking the game and re-releasing it to people who dont have it. I mean you have to take into account the people who bought it on PSN because they hadnt had the game And the people who already owned the game. I mena if you make a remake your gonna get both groups to go ballistic and buy it.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="scottiescott238"]

your thoughts

Good thing you said next gen. Because they've just released the original FFVII on the PSN store and didn't that sell really well? So it'll take a long time before SE will consider a remake..
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#14 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

It would make more sense to have a remake on PSP since that's what the prequel is on.

Anywhoo, FFVII is one of the few games I want remade becasue I feel that it was seriously held back by technology

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Animal-Mother

It would make more sense to have a remake on PSP since that's what the prequel is on.

Anywhoo, FFVII is one of the few games I want remade becasue I feel that it was seriously held back by technology

swazidoughman
Why a remake on PSP you know how much of a fanbase you would alienate. I mean I wouldnt buy it because I dont own a PSP
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
That actually makes some sense to me...i hope they do, iv been craving a good final fantasy for while now.
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts

i should think this will go to 360 also

-PuLse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -PuLse
Member since 2009 • 538 Posts

Square has like 10+ games in development right now. I don't think they are going to start a VII remake anytime soon. Maybe in 2015.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#19 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
We ALL know there is going to be a Final Fantasy VII remake eventually. The question is, "When?"
mand_450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mand_450

[QUOTE="mand_450"]

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

Hell maybe not

Malta_1980

:) I won????great... i hope its the usualchocolate chip cookie :P

Oh, then you are in for a disapointement. The prize is unfortunately 1000000$.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

What about on next generation handhelds? I mean, c'mon, if they remade Final Fantasy I-VI, like, five or six times each, then I don't see why they wouldn't make what is regarded as the best game in the franchise.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#22 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]

Animal-Mother

Why a remake on PSP you know how much of a fanbase you would alienate. I mean I wouldnt buy it because I dont own a PSP

It would be a great way to push PSP sales.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

Animal-Mother

Ya but there's a difference between remaking the game and re-releasing it to people who dont have it. I mean you have to take into account the people who bought it on PSN because they hadnt had the game And the people who already owned the game. I mena if you make a remake your gonna get both groups to go ballistic and buy it.

IMO, gamers on forums exaggerate the demand for a FF7 remake.

I'm sure a remake would sell a few million units, but that may not be enough. If anyting, SE waiting to see how well FF13 does before starting on a FF7 remake. A full blow remake would be very expensive to make.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

DeathScape666

What about on next generation handhelds? I mean, c'mon, if they remade Final Fantasy I-VI, like, five or six times each, then I don't see why they wouldn't make what is regarded as the best game in the franchise.

I'm sure Sony would love it for the PSP2. But SE probably wouldn't do it until the PSP2 has a good userbase.

jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts

LosDaddie
That made me laugh. You think they've decided that making brand new IPs that sell absolutely terrible is a better decision business wise, than remaking one of their best selling titles ever, that to this day, is absolutely adored by practically the whole of Japan? Honestly, how you came to that conclusion is beyond me.
double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
I want to see a full remake of FFVI, it would win hard. Oh and FFXV please, I prefer that over an FF7 remake :)
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

LosDaddie

I'm sure a remake would sell a few million units, but that may not be enough. If anyting, SE waiting to see how well FF13 does before starting on a FF7 remake. A full blow remake would be very expensive to make.

THis is true. But you have to say even the lesser liked games like 12 still sell a lot. I mean hasn't 12 sold5.1 million copies worldwide? And the game isn't even liked much. Final Fantasy VII has sold over 9.8 million copies worldwide as of December 2005,[57] making it the highest-selling Final Fantasy title.[58] I mean imagine a remake. I would go nuts the japanese would go nuts.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
I dont expect FFVII out this generation and I dont expect it out next generation either. It will not be released on a specific console and will most likely Multi-platform on 360/PC/PS3 if released this generation and if released next gen it will most likely be released upon the Wii HD if sales continue if its a specific console.
MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts
Why release it on PSN, then release a remake? Redundant, much?
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Animal-Mother
Why release it on PSN, then release a remake? Redundant, much?MortalDecay
Maybe this is a test bed to see how sales are goin?
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

It doesn't need to be remade. I'm replaying it right now and it is still just as good as ever. If you want to experience the game again then just replay it. It has held up well.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Why spend money remaking a game when SE can just port it? Like it just did?

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

jonnyt61

That made me laugh. You think they've decided that making brand new IPs that sell absolutely terrible is a better decision business wise, than remaking one of their best selling titles ever, that to this day, is absolutely adored by practically the whole of Japan? Honestly, how you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

What said anything about new IPs? :|

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
Anyone else think its funny that console games cost so much to make, but PC games that are just as good looking/better looking are so much cheaper?
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LosDaddie

[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] Ya but there's a difference between remaking the game and re-releasing it to people who dont have it. I mean you have to take into account the people who bought it on PSN because they hadnt had the game And the people who already owned the game. I mena if you make a remake your gonna get both groups to go ballistic and buy it.Animal-Mother

THis is true. But you have to say even the lesser liked games like 12 still sell a lot. I mean hasn't 12 sold5.1 million copies worldwide? And the game isn't even liked much. Final Fantasy VII has sold over 9.8 million copies worldwide as of December 2005,[57] making it the highest-selling Final Fantasy title.[58] I mean imagine a remake. I would go nuts the japanese would go nuts.

We shall see.

If SE is going to do a remake, then it's going to be announced after ff13 is out....maybe E3 2010

jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts

[QUOTE="jonnyt61"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

LosDaddie

What said anything about new IPs? :|

You said you thought they didn't think remaking FFVII would be worth the cost. Now, considering they've released new IPs this gen, they obviously thought those were worth the cost, else, they'd never have released them. If the reason for the remake not happening is because they don't see it being worth the cost, why on earth would they release brand new IPs? It's obvious that going with a game that's almost guaranteed to sell 1million copies, over one that has no actual fan base or previous foundation, is the better business decision, and would be much more worth the cost. I just can't see why'd you'd believe that it wouldn't be worth the cost, when they're willing to take essentially risks on new platforms and new IPs.
MortalDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MortalDecay
Member since 2005 • 4298 Posts
Anyone else think its funny that console games cost so much to make, but PC games that are just as good looking/better looking are so much cheaper?shadow_hosi
360 has roughly the same dev cost as the PC, seeing it has a lot in common with PCs. The dev costs for the PS3 are just insane.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Square has like 10+ games in development right now. I don't think they are going to start a VII remake anytime soon. Maybe in 2015.

-PuLse

Most of those games are being outsourced to other developer with project being overseen by a SE employee. I think only 4 or 5 games are being developed in-house which is Final Fantasy XIII, Versus, Agito, Final Fantasy XIV, Kingdom Hearts: Birth of Sleep, and The Crystal Bearers.

About the Final Fantasy VII remake; I think it'll be created but like everyone else has said, not anytime soon. Not to mention Nomura and other SE staff members are already planning the next story in the Compilation. That was said in March of this year:

As Blu-ray movie Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete readies for release, Square Enix's Tetsuya Nomura talks about the film and the franchise.

As has been previous announced, Square Enix has gone through and amped up Advent Children for this HD release.

Fan favorite FFVII has been revisited multiple times with the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII series, which encompasses games and movies like Advent Children. To date, there have been four Compilation of FFVII games and two films. The series is headed up by Nomura and fellow Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase.

When asked about the next entry in the series, Square Enix's Tetsuya Nomura replied, "We do have an idea for the next Compilation, and for the time being, that's all we can say. It won't start up anytime soon."

With Nomura busy with Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kitase producing Final Fantasy XIII and all hands on deck for both games, Nomura's probably right.

source

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts

your thoughts

scottiescott238

It sucks, this means the gaming industry would become a kind of second Hollywood where they would rather make crappy remakes of great foreign and old movies to milk the audiences instead of actually being creative.

First DLC and now this. The more I think of it the more I see that western influence is going to be the thing destroying gaming in the future. If all this happens.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
Every single FF up to VII has been re made or re-released. FFVII is no different. However the PSN version might count as the re-release
Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 is my all time favorite game. I don't think I would buy the remake. I would be to scared they screwed up my favorite game to much. I would rather them focus on new games, not remakes.

double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 double_heist

[QUOTE="-PuLse"]

NeoGen85

When asked about the next entry in the series, Square Enix's Tetsuya Nomura replied, "We do have an idea for the next Compilation, and for the time being, that's all we can say. It won't start up anytime soon."

I'm guessing it's the One Goal Spirit game as mentioned by Nomura during one of his interviews.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LosDaddie

I just can't see why'd you'd believe that it wouldn't be worth the cost, when they're willing to take essentially risks on new platforms and new IPs.jonnyt61

Because SE hasn't announceda FF7 remake yet. And that's without mentioning that there wasn't a FF7 remake last gen even though 4 new FF games were made.

Since you seem to believe a FF7 remake is a no-brainer and guaranteed cash cow; How about you explain why a FF7 remake hasn't been announced?

I look forward to your response. :)

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

So he guessed dev costs will go up to 70mill and you guessed on his guess that theres going to be a FF remake.

...Your sorta reaching a bit don't you think? Wishful thinking if anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

So he guessed dev costs will go up to 70mill and you guessed on his guess that theres going to be a FF remake.

CreepyBacon
Not at all, its putting things together not guessing. Even this gen you will be hard pressed to see a New Ip after the end of this year. After the huge sucess Final Fantasy 7 has had through the PS store, its all the more. Its a game they can release which they know they are going to make a good return on, they know people will buy it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

CreepyBacon
Its not wishful thinking, personally i dont want a FF7 remake
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#47 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

i'd have to strongly disagree.

new IP's are an essential part of the game industry. if you want proof look at other entertainment venues such as Movies, Graphic Novels, Cartoons, Anime's, and Novels.

sure a lot of them have similar themes, and Hollywood lately relies on making novels, graphic novels, and even past 80's cartoons into movies. However we still get new IP's here and there. Terminator was a new IP, the Matrix was a new IP, the movie Avatar and District 9 (coming this year), are new IP's.

Video Games will be no different.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="-PuLse"]

double_heist

I'm guessing it's the One Goal Spirit game as mentioned by Nomura during one of his interviews.

I read that too. You could be right, but at the sametime it could be a new IP which everyone has been craving from Square Enix. Another PS3 exclusive, eh?

double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 double_heist

[QUOTE="double_heist"]

[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

NeoGen85

I read that too. You could be right, but at the sametime it could be a new IP which everyone has been craving from Square Enix. Another PS3 exclusive, eh?

It can be the next triad of Final Fantasy (FFXV) :o Well that's just my guess though. I see it more of a new IP (and hoping it's an RPG).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

i'd have to strongly disagree.

new IP's are an essential part of the game industry. if you want proof look at other entertainment venues such as Movies, Graphic Novels, Cartoons, Anime's, and Novels.

sure a lot of them have similar themes, and Hollywood lately relies on making novels, graphic novels, and even past 80's cartoons into movies. However we still get new IP's here and there. Terminator was a new IP, the Matrix was a new IP, the movie Avatar and District 9 (coming this year), are new IP's.

Video Games will be no different.

SaudiFury
But only a handful of companies have the financial backing to to the risk, EA for example took a 500 million loss recently didnt they?