the wii vs xbox spec wars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mestizoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mestizoman
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

well we cant do a spec wars as of yet,because wii's official specs have yet to be released

however, ive heard that the wii graphics card is essentially an oced gamecube one with more ram

but being essentially the same card, i doubt that the system will ever be able to push pixels as well as the xbox

no game has yet to match halo, doom 3, riddick, conker, ninja gaiden, dead or alive and many others in their respective genres

until we see official specs, how can we take nintendos word on how powerful the wii is?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I have four words to counter your arguement about not seeing games like Riddick, etc...

Its been 7 months.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
The fact that there even needs to be a spec war between the Wii and a sysem that came out five years ago is telling...
ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ZinkOxide
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
Yeah, it tells us some fanboys will stop at nothing to Wii bash.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The Wii is more powerful than the Xbox.Deal with it,and move on.
Avatar image for WalterPaladines
WalterPaladines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WalterPaladines
Member since 2003 • 1742 Posts

The Wii is more powerful than the Xbox.Deal with it,and move on.VGobbsesser

Yeah you can tell it's more powerul because of Mario flop 8, see the awesome graphics????

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
The fact that there even needs to be a spec war between the Wii and a sysem that came out five years ago is telling...subrosian
It's tells us that some people will do anything to bash a system these days.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I still say Metroid Prime 1 looks better than Halo 1 and 2.....
Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

I have four words to counter your arguement about not seeing games like Riddick, etc...

Its been 7 months.foxhound_fox

Not really, developing for the Wii is so nearly identical to developing for the GC (hardware wise) that all the dev's knowledge about the GC is used for the Wii... so really it's been about 5 years.

It's a slightly tweaked GC chipset, not an entirely new set-up(like with the PS3 and 360.)

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 septicvirus
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts

The Wii is more powerful than the N64. The rest, I am unsure of.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
These specs were leaked by IGN, and can now be found on Wiki:

729mhz PowerPC CPU
243mhz GPU
24MiB 1T-SRAM@600mhz
64MiB DDR3 RAM@700mhz

Xbox Specs
733mhz Intel Celeron Mobile processor
233mhz GPU
64MiB DDR RAM@200mhz

--
The Wii has more RAM, faster RAM, and a faster GPU. It also has a more efficient CPU. Celerons have notoriously a bad cache and FSB. The Xbox has a 4mhz CPU advantage, but you're crazy if you think a 2002 Celeron is more efficient than a 2006 PowerPC.

The original Wii games look terrible. No one is denying that. But there are simple explanations for it:
1. The developers were working with modified Gamecube development kits. They made the games on those and then ported them to the Wii because Nintendo did not get the kits out in time.

2. Nintendo was not stressing great graphics at launch. The developers saw the potential selling power of the Wii, and decided to cash in with sloppy PS2 ports and other games that looked terrible. Creating good graphics costs money, and the developers saw Nintendo's new attitude as a free pass to be lazy and make a lot of money. People will buy anything at launch.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

well we cant do a spec wars as of yet,because wii's official specs have yet to be released

however, ive heard that the wii graphics card is essentially an oced gamecube one with more ram

but being essentially the same card, i doubt that the system will ever be able to push pixels as well as the xbox

no game has yet to match halo, doom 3, riddick, conker, ninja gaiden, dead or alive and many others in their respective genres

until we see official specs, how can we take nintendos word on how powerful the wii is?

mestizoman

well if you've read reports and analyzations of the Wiis hardware you'd know its much stronger than the Xbox.

Read this link

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=68776

Super Mario Galaxy will annihilate anything Xbox in terms of visuals this fall

and did you know sir, that Midway plans on using the Unreal 3 engine on Mortal Kombat 8 next year with the PS3, 360, AND Nintendo Wii versions of the game. And people say it can't be done. Midway said they will use it for all 3 consoles.

So potentially a Wii game next year could look as good as Gears of War, by then though 360/PS3 games will still look better but,.......

I would be satisfied. Infact mix Star Wars the force unleashed physics with Gears visuals and i'm pretty satisfied. Mix up the art design every now and then and look, a pretty picture.

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts

Its been 7 months.foxhound_fox

Prettymuchdestroysthewholethread.

zachdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 zachdragon
Member since 2005 • 1707 Posts
its amazing how ya'll know how powerful the system is and ya'll know everything about the gc's chip and how its different from the cube because personally I have no idea where you guys get this information and the editors at gamfaqs said that MP3 looked alot better than Halo 2 when nintendo showed the demo a few months back and the editors said the only good thing about Sonic is that it showed a glimmer of how powerful the Wii is it showed that the Wii is capable of next gen graphics