The term "Flop" in the gaming industry.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrYamini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MrYamini
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Please watch my video on this very topic- /watch?v=3n7fs6peZVI

==================================================

So yesterday, a Youtube critic said Sonic Worlds flopped in response to a thread made here on how the game received bad ratings by Gamespot. He made this argument citing this website and its users on what determined if the game flopped or not.

I am here to dispel the notion of a game, or any product flopping based on quality, hype and a few reviews by bias critics.

First off, Sonic Lost Worlds is not a flop. It has not been on the market long enough to determine if it is a flop.

A Flop is determined by 2 factors. The amount of consumers buying the product, and the the revenue gained off of product. This is how ALL businesses determine what is a successful product and what isn't. This is why there are many great movies and VIDEO GAMES that will not have sequels. Those movies and VIDEO GAMES flopped, and the production company is not interested in investing in a product that has already cost them money.

So to reiterate the point, the people who BUY the product are ultimately the ones who determine if a product flops or not. Not a review website, Not a critic, Not the quality of the game, not the hype. Regardless of how bad the reception of a particular product is, if it made enough money, it will have a successor. That successor may promise to correct whatever flaws were in the original product, but if it sold, it was NOT a flop.

Now with that said, I am interested in hearing what you all have to say regarding this topic.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Games flop here, if they fail to meet hype.

Scores are rated:

AE: 7-7.5

AAE: 8-8.5

AAAE: 9-9.5

AAAAE: 10

------

E = Exclusive (one system).

That's it, that's all.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Not going to watch your video

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

@MonsieurX: I am... Anyone else?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Normal standards of what a flop is don't apply to SW. In fact, logic doesn't even really apply to SW so all of this is moot to begin with.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

bu bu but

a game which is successful in business, might not be a game i enjoy.

a game i really enjoy, might not achieve good sales.

a game which achieves widespread critical acclaim from users, still might not get a sequel.

i see what you're saying tc. in a board room this conversation would be greeted with plenty of nodding and the offer to pick up your coffee. here in sw unfortunately i'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to make my coffee. please. please someone get me a coffee. please.

MrYamini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrYamini

@lundy86_4 said:

Scores are rated:

------

That's it, that's all.

Why is that though. What set of people created this standard of backwards thinking.

Watch Machinima's "Top 10 FLOPS of the Video Game Industry"..They (some) are FLOPS because they did not sell, not because they were bad games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@mryamini said:

Why is that though. What set of people created this standard of backwards thinking.

Rofl. WELCOME TO SW! This place has even created names for people who like certain consoles more than the other. It's absurdly hilarious.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@mryamini said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Scores are rated:

------

That's it, that's all.

Watch Machinima's "Top 10 FLOPS of the Video Game Industry"..They (some) are FLOPS because they did not sell, not because they were bad games.

I don't know who is in charge.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

@mryamini said:

The SW community. It's inherent to this board.

----

You came here, and it's part of this board. People spreading it elsewhere are dipsh*ts.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

don't spam your shit here

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

TC all intelligent thinking must be left outside before entering the world of system wars.

MrYamini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrYamini
@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

----

You came here, and it's part of this board. People spreading it elsewhere are dipsh*ts.

That is exactly what is happening though. People are spreading this nonsense and then using these very boards as their proof. I don't know if you are familiar with BlackB0nd, but is the guy I am having a disagreement with. Although he is pretty insignificant within the gaming community, it is the point.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lundy86_4

@mryamini said:

That is exactly what is happening though. People are spreading this nonsense and then using these very boards as their proof. I don't know if you are familiar with BlackB0nd, but is the guy I am having a disagreement with. Although he is pretty insignificant within the gaming community, it is the point.

How many people? Quote who, and post the links. You stated it was an individual. Hardly an issue.

Yep, Blackb0nd was a big poster here, forever ago. Just let it slide.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Not going to watch your video

Exactly what I said. Dude made this thread and that video because of my video. What can I say King Bond severing conscious minds as usual

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Flop: a game that fails to live up to expectations

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

How many people? Quote who, and post the links. You stated it was an individual. Hardly an issue.

9,000 subs, one of the most famous posters on this board ever and even voted its King. Haven't posted forever and people still know me and yet I'm insignificant in the gaming community by this guy. I love the damage control LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Given how most reviewers marked down Lost World for "being too difficult" and "Sonic's too slow" I wouldn't consider that a flop.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4

@Blackbond said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

9,000 subs, one of the most famous posters on this board ever and even voted its King. Haven't posted forever and people still know me and yet I'm insignificant in the gaming community by this guy. I love the damage control LOL

Insignificant by me?

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@mryamini said:
@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

----

You do realize that words can have more than one meaning, right? Even with the same base language different communities can adopt special meanings to words or phrases. System Wars is, itself, just such a community. We ascribe a meaning to the term "flop" that is not particularly recognized outside of this community, but that doesn't make it any less valid. You coming here making sweeping statements about our "backwards thinking" is incredibly rude and won't make a very good impression. It is akin to traveling to a foreign country and criticizing their language and customs because they don't match your own.

MrYamini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrYamini

@Blackbond said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

LOL. You found lil old me after Blocking me on your Youtube account for exposing you on the word FLOP. You, and many others are either ignorant or very stupid. Your contributions to the gaming community is very insignificant. I can list 10 other personalities that have contributed to the community in a positive and informative way. You sir, are a troll that has been exposed for the fraud that you are.

MrYamini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrYamini

@asylumni said:

@mryamini said:
@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

----

You do realize that words can have more than one meaning, right? Even with the same base language different communities can adopt special meanings to words or phrases. System Wars is, itself, just such a community. We ascribe a meaning to the term "flop" that is not particularly recognized outside of this community, but that doesn't make it any less valid. You coming here making sweeping statements about our "backwards thinking" is incredibly rude and won't make a very good impression. It is akin to traveling to a foreign country and criticizing their language and customs because they don't match your own.

I understand that. Use it on here all you want, but dont use it outside of this community and believe it is valid, because it is not. The original and most widely accepted usage of the word still trumps the Gamespot communities usage of the word. I assume the word only became used like that in this community because of the ignorance of that it truly meant to flop and just stuck similar to calling an Indigenous American an Indian.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@mryamini said:

@asylumni said:

@mryamini said:
@lundy86_4 said:

@mryamini said:

----

I understand that. Use it on here all you want, but dont use it outside of this community and believe it is valid, because it is not. The original and most widely accepted usage of the word still trumps the Gamespot communities usage of the word. I assume the word only became used like that in this community because of the ignorance of that it truly meant to flop and just stuck similar to calling an Indigenous American an Indian.

Umm, you are aware that you're in System Wars right now, right? And no, unlike your assumptions, the adoption of a special meaning to the term "flop" was not done in ignorance.

Strange that you would be calling out BlackBond for trolling when that's all you seem to be interested in doing here.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I think the "flop" system here started a long time ago when Caseywegner (who was a mod then) created a thread called "What to do about hype?". Then the official hype threads started with a poll predicting a score, and the "rule" that a game which doesn't score here at least what it was hyped gets called a flop.

It's just something some people like to play along with, if they're really into this kind of stuff. I don't worry about labeling games as flops.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26  Edited By cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Sonic Lost World isn't a flop but not for your reasons. It didn't have a hype thread, so therefore it was impossible for it to flop.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@mryamini: If you're arguing with a person who thinks Gamespot's Community's opinion is relevant or standard then it's probably a lost cause. Also please turn off the tv when doing Videos; it's distracting.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

it's a subjective term, but usually reserved for falling short of commercial or critical expectations

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

There are two kinds of flops.

Flops by hype.

Flops by sales.

A game can flop in sales, and not flop in hype and vice versa.

Each flop can be measured by a scale, or a hard line. This depends on the user.

For example, you could say hype: 8, actual: 7.5, is a flop, where as a game hype: 8, actual: 2, is a hard flop, etc.

Others might just deem them both as flops, which I don't think is fair or correct usage of the term.

I think it should be on scale: mega flop<-----flop-----as expected-----above expectations----->Out of no where. Or something along those lines.

A sales flop is also a little variable, and it depends on the publisher as well. There is a flop by expectation, and a flop by budget. For example, flop by expectation is when a publisher makes a game for $5, and expects profit of $10, but actually gets a profit of $8. This can be regarded as a flop to the publisher but not necessarily to us, the consumers. If the game sells less than the budget of $5, then it is a flop to the publisher, and in the eyes of the consumer too.

That's how I interpret "flop".

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I always thought a flop was just a bad selling game

Rage010101

Forum Posts