The Reason 3-D Will Fail Again

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12066 Posts

The reason the 3-D gimmick will fail and has failed in the past is for the simple reason that people get sick, and get hurt while playing the games or watching movies in 3-D.

Will you still play in 3-D knowing it will cause you to be ill or permenately degrade your vision?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1105760p1.html

darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts
Yes. Yes I would. I've seen 3D movies and I know Im fine watching them.
Esnedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Esnedon
Member since 2009 • 332 Posts

The reason the 3-D gimmick will fail and has failed in the past is for the simple reason that people get sick, and get hurt while playing the games or watching movies in 3-D.

Will you still play in 3-D knowing it will cause you to be ill or permenately degrade your vision?

kuu2

People can get sick and hurt through regular gaming, too. Guess that's headed to failure as well.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61526 Posts

Granted, people do get sick. However people also get sick through other forms of gaming also (motion sickness). Whilst it may not be as widespread, it's still a problem.

3D is having a huge push this time around, and it's looking like it'll stick. Both the movie and gaming industry, as well as many manufacturers of entertainment products are pushing for it.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

How has 3D "failed in the past"?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20183 Posts

I tried it at a local best buy. Made my head hurt so it wont be for me. It's bad for people with bad or uneven eyesight. Which is probably the majority of the population.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

[QUOTE="kuu2"]

Esnedon

People can get sick and hurt through regular gaming, too. Guess that's headed to failure as well.

Bingo.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Granted, people do get sick. However people also get sick through other forms of gaming also (motion sickness). Whilst it may not be as widespread, it's still a problem.

3D is having a huge push this time around, and it's looking like it'll stick. Both the movie and gaming industry, as well as many manufacturers of entertainment products are pushing for it.

lundy86_4

If they're Epileptic they can get sick that way in normal gaming. I get motion sickness but I never got it from a videogame yet. But I can get it watching rides at amusement parks.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4

If they're Epileptic they can get sick that way in normal gaming. I get motion sickness but I never got it from a videogame yet. But I can get it watching rides at amusement parks.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Oh yeah, epilepcy is a pretty important one as wel, and all games come with health warnings nowadays regarding things such as extensive playtimes.

I've only known a couple of people to get sick from motion in video games (from personal experience), so I can't see it as being aas big of an issue.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuu2

XaosII

3D has been around since the fifties. 3D is brought out everytime the movie industry is in a slump. Guess what, the movie industry is slumping again.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

and it will be glorious and so real life to everyone else that doesn't get sick, like me

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#12 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

kuu2

3D has been around since the fifties. 3D is brought out everytime the movie industry is in a slump. Guess what, the movie industry is slumping again.

With movies like Toy Story 3 and Kick-a$$? I'd have to disagree there.

Anyway, 3D is an auxiliary function, it's not a necessity. If 3D bothers you, don't use it. I look forward to the 3DS myself.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Lots of people can't play video games because they get motion sickness too, but that doesn't seem to hurt video game sales too much. The question you pose reads like something Fox News would use... it's a closed ended question designed to guide the person to answer in a particular (in this case "Anti-3D") way. If it would permenently degrade the user's vision, it wouldn't be allowed to see the light of day.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

[QUOTE="kuu2"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

calvinsora

Anyway, 3D is an auxiliary function, it's not a necessity. If 3D bothers you, don't use it. I look forward to the 3DS myself.

Kickass flopped and TS3 supports 3D. your examples fit his argument perfectly :?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

kuu2

This is why it will have success. All of gaming was a gimmick at one point. I am not sure when some gamers are going to understand it's these gimmicks which have moved gaming forward.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I can see myself eventually turning off the 3D for long extended gaming sessions.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="kuu2"]

nintendo-4life

Kickass flopped and TS3 supports 3D. your examples fit his argument perfectly :?

Kickass was not a box office bomb.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

kuu2

Not really in places like Korea 4d is becoming more common. 3D movies are starting to become the norm and it will not be long until we start seeing more 4D movies in the US.
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

i honestly see 3d as being something i might use for the first hour of a game to check it out. Then playing 2d afterwards.

I know in movie theaters after about an hour i have to take the glasses off and rub my eyes periodically. It might be better if i can align myself straight on with the tv. But the fact that you are basically tricking your eyes into seeing a way they arent supposed to makes me think that no matter what, eyestrain is going to be a huge problem with any extended 3d viewing.... much more so than 2d viewing.

something like the 3ds though, might be viable for long gaming sessions.. only time will tell.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Eh, I don't care for having to buy a new television and then wear damn glasses when watching it. If anything 3D will be for film enthusiasts; not the broader market. Look at the PC platform, it isn't as if 3D is surging ahead; it is an option for enthusiasts interested in it, nothing more. As for the 3DS, the 3D is built into the actual hardware off the bat, so I can see it taking off.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="kuu2"]

nintendo-4life

Note that I was most certainly referring to his last sentence alone. On top of that, Kickass was a box office hit in many areas, and is in IMDB's top 200 highest rated films of all time based on user votinglist, I think near the top 70. Toy Story 3 has also been met with shining praise.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 donalbane
[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="calvinsora"]

Note that I was most certainly referring to his last sentence alone. On top of that, Kickass was a box office hit in many areas, and is in IMDB's top 200 highest rated films of all time based on user votinglist, I think near the top 70. Toy Story 3 has also been met with shining praise.

Toy Story 3 has a 90-something on metacritic right now. And Kickass! was, in fact, kick ass.
crazyduckv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 crazyduckv2
Member since 2009 • 209 Posts

just because your a lemming you think it will fail. haha xbox cant do 3-d so 3-ds owns xbox :P

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

3D movies failed in the past because studios kept tacking it onto crappy movies in order to sell

this summer has basically been one roaring example of that kind of ineptitude, lots of crappy movies with "in 3D!!!" and jacked up ticket prices

i went with my family to see Toy Story 3 in 2D... it was actually refreshing to see a movie in 2D

as for video games you might see the same thing there too: lots of games with tacked on 3D that's not really all that well made, that's why it was brilliant for Nintendo to put the 3D adjuster on the 3DS because i can't imagine every 2-bit handheld game developer to really know how to make good looking 3D

it's really the same kind of ballpark as motion controls, some devs get it right, lots don't

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
3DS >>>> Your opinion.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 calvinsora

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"] Kickass flopped and TS3 supports 3D. your examples fit his argument perfectly :?donalbane

Toy Story 3 has a 90-something on metacritic right now. And Kickass! was, in fact, kick ass.

I'm glad TS3 is getting all the praise it's getting. And it's true that Kickass really does kick ass :P It's cliche, but it's too awesome.

Anyway, I'm going off topic here :P

antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts

XaosII

remember those crappy red and blue glasses? then, of coursethere was the virtual boy.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

kuu2
Im sure there are people who are epileptic and still try to game
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
You do know, prolong exposure to the television/computer screen hurts your vision as well, right?
kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

If I get a headache or something when I generally shouldn't and it is clearly thanks to the 3D effect, then the idea of 3D is a huge turnoff.

Lets just wait and see until journalists get their hands on the real thing and plays it extensively.

But yeah the fact that Nintendo is advising kids under 7 to turn off the 3D effect is indicative of 3D side effects being significantly worse than normal gaming side effects, so yeah this could become a potential problem, especially since gaming sessions can be up to 3 times the running time of Avatar.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
Yes. Yes I would. I've seen 3D movies and I know Im fine watching them.darkshadow64
Have you watched a 3D movie for more than 3 hours at a time, on a daily basis? While I think 3D is welcomed in gaming, you can't compare a 2-3 hour 3D film that you watch once in a while to regular gaming for 2-3 hours daily. there is a reason why Sony is updating their EULA with health factors due to prolonged 3D usage.
Ultizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ultizer
Member since 2010 • 1037 Posts

its just Sony cashing in on Avatars succes

nothing more

its a gimmick, it wont last long

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

As long as there always the option for non 3-D (2D) then I'm fine with it. If I'm forced to play in 3-D, then there's a problem.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Fail TC. Thats not the reason at all. The ONLY reason 3d wont become mainstream is because of the 3d glasses. If and when they make REAL 3d without glasses, is the only time it will become mainstream. Until then its just not practical to buy a pair of expensive glasses for everyone that ever watches your TV. Superbowl parties? 20 pairs? Get lost. People that wear glasses and dont want to wear glasses OVER glasses (its annoying). Until then I see only 1-2% of the market using 3d TV's.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

:roll:

Enough. Read the damn warning in the manual for every game you've bought, ever. They all have health claims, everything from motion sickness to seizures to death. That's just to cover their rear. Nobody takes breaks, plenty of people play in completely dark rooms, plenty of people play more than eight hours a day, and yet the vast majority of people experience no ill effects from current gaming.

-

No one is going to get sick, go blind or die from 3D. Or rather, 5.99999 billion people are going to be just fine, and that 1 kid who dies? Sorry kid, bad genes are bad, eh?

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

:roll:

Enough. Read the damn warning in the manual for every game you've bought, ever. They all have health claims, everything from motion sickness to seizures to death. That's just to cover their rear. Nobody takes breaks, plenty of people play in completely dark rooms, plenty of people play more than eight hours a day, and yet the vast majority of people experience no ill effects from current gaming.

-

No one is going to get sick, go blind or die from 3D. Or rather, 5.99999 billion people are going to be just fine, and that 1 kid who dies? Sorry kid, bad genes are bad, eh?

subrosian

"In a study conducted by U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences in a report published May 1995 titled "Technical Report 1027 - Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments", out of 742 pilot exposures from 11 military flight simulators, "approximately half of the pilots (334) reported post-effects of some kind: 250 (34%) reported that symptoms dissipated in less than 1 hour, 44 (6%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 4 hours, and 28 (4%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 6 hours. There were also 4 (1%) reported cases of spontaneously occurring flashbacks." So, what is your idea of the "vast majority"? I personally don't think 55% qualifies as a "vast majority" but hey... maybe you actually went to med school and know a thing or two...

I personally think there will be an initially large group of people who will suffer from simulation sickness after prolonged 3D tv usage, but i also think after a few months of it, these people will get used to it much like they have gotten used to standard television viewing. BUT, it is not going to to be an uncommon occurance like you think.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

nothing more

Ultizer

I could be wrong, but didn't Sony started talking about 3D before Avatar was even released? Like they started at E3 2009 and Avatar came out in December. :?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Until they make a TV that can show 3D without the glasses it will never catch on to mass appeal. Yeah it's a cool gimmick once in a while, and yeah people will be glad to show their friends their 3D setup when they come over. However more than likely those same people will enjoy 3D for the first few days or week, and go back to playing regular 2D soon after, except when they are showing off.

3D with glasses is just a gimmick, it was tried in the 50's in the 60's in the late 70's and really hard in the 80's. I especially remember the 80's version being the wave of the future, and that we would all be using it by the 90's. Well guess what people get tired of those glasses, and while they are ok for a 2 hour movie, a 6 hour gaming session will take it's toll. Like I said 3D will not catch on until people can do it without the glasses. Nintendo has the right idea, but they need to get it on a bigger screen than on a DS.

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#40 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts
[QUOTE="kuu2"]

Animal-Mother
Im sure there are people who are epileptic and still try to game

My fiance is epileptic. She still games in her free time. Sometimes it causes problems but she deals with them. On the other hand, I have a perfectly healthy friend who still gets motion sickness from FPS games. Yes, there will be some people who will get motion sickness playing 3-D games. No, this will not hurt sales. Man, those people getting hurt playing Wii games and websites dedicated to it sure hurt the sales of the system, didn't it?
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

That is just Sony covering their butts in case someone sues them. >_>

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4

nothing more

Ultizer

Considering Nintendo is also coming out with a form of 3D...

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuu2

I would love to see the breakdown between the box office numbers for movies seen in 3d as opposed to 2d. I have a feeling that companies won't be sharing that information with the public anytime soon.

Regardless of glasses or no glasses people still will suffer from 3d. It is a trick on your eyes that causes them to hurt. Some studies have suggested up to 30% of people suffer from 3d effects. Thus shrinking the market share of an already smaller market (people who play video games).

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
just wait till the TV's that can do 3d without glasses become better and cheaper. I don't know why anyone would want to rush to get this current glasses required tech that we have now. sure its okay for a movie but do you really want to have those glasses on for more than 2 hours? i see long sessions having the 3d turned off anyway.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 donalbane

That is just Sony covering their butts in case someone sues them. >_>

nintendofreak_2
Yeah... I'm sure the Wii has similar legal disclaimers in case Jr. whacks his sister in the temple with a Wiimote. Standard practice, this stuff.
kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kuu2

just wait till the TV's that can do 3d without glasses become better and cheaper. I don't know why anyone would want to rush to get this current glasses required tech that we have now. sure its okay for a movie but do you really want to have those glasses on for more than 2 hours? i see long sessions having the 3d turned off anyway.Ontain

What is the point of having 3d then? If Nintendo is commited to 3d then why include a button to turn off 3d?

EvilDevice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EvilDevice
Member since 2010 • 74 Posts
I'm not getting 3D tv until they make use of circular polarization. Shutter glasses are an age old technology (I remember playing Descent via shutter glasses, and I'm sure some of you remember the same technology on the Sega Master System). Shutter glasses hurt your eyes. Polarized lenses shouldn't.
canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 canoecamue
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

XaosII
Im thinking Virtua boy? I dunno, im personally excited for 3D and feel its going to be here to stay. If Jim Cameron has anything to do with it anyways. :D
canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 canoecamue
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

[QUOTE="kuu2"]

HarlockJC

This is why it will have success. All of gaming was a gimmick at one point. I am not sure when some gamers are going to understand it's these gimmicks which have moved gaming forward.

The internet is a gimmick as well!
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

just because your a lemming you think it will fail. haha xbox cant do 3-d so 3-ds owns xbox :P

crazyduckv2

hahah tooo easy, 360 CAN do 3D infact it has a 3D game on it. try harder next time

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077878p1.html