deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

When you play games at 1080p only then of course it won't be too expensive.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@Gue1 said:

equivalent PC builds to a console still cot over $500 and that's only by buying the cheapest parts you can find to make an ugly ass hobo build that could most likely set up your house in a fire.

Just take a look at the Steam machines and its ridiculous prices for systems that are weaker than the PS4 yet more expensive even with all its off the shelves parts.

Why is it so hard for PC fan to face the reality that PC actually is? The most ridiculous stuff I read on the internets these days always come from some master race kind of guy. And as a computer technician, programmer and DBA I wish I could laugh but things are getting way out of hand with you guys.

Gotcha, consoles < Ugly ass hobo house firing pc.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

There's two points I want to put in.

One: PC gamers need to work out what their needs are. The up front cost don't have to be big. You don't need super duper components, you need a good balance of quality components.

Two: On the other side of that coin, PC gamers shouldn't need to feel the need to justify the price of a PC. It's console gamers who should justify their costs. All the money they throw into it just to play games moderately well, even before the services they're always paying for. Conversely, a PC gamer can do whatever they like on the PC.

My last PC was expensive, but during it's lifetime, I had no regrets because of all the stuff it allowed me to do. Where as I'm more concerned about all the money I wasted over my 360s lifetime. I dread to think of how much it was. Consoles are good for milking. MS started a disgusting trend.

I'm not going to apologise for having standards. The hardware in my computer is amazing to me and we're only going to see better use of our hardware with DX12. It's sad that PC gamers get suckered into playing console gamers games and end up trying to find out how to build a PC for the same price.

This is what we get as PC gamers. We get to cherry pick all the quality parts we like, which may cost a bit, then we get a shit ton of deals and dirt cheap games from Steam, GoG, Humble Bundle etc. Then we get to do what we like on our PCs. PC gamers need to become proud of this.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

but it is more expensive...

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

The initial cost is very expensive but in the long run PC is much cheaper and this is speaking from experience. I wasted a ridiculous amount of money on Xbl Gold, but lesson learned, do not fucking give in to paid subscriptions.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@bforrester420 said:
@1080pOnly said:

Age old and as false as my grandma's teeth. Given the low end spec of current consoles it's simple and cheap to build an equivalent PC. Consoles now cost to play online, cost more per game and cost quite a bit upfront. Can we finally lay to bed the idea that PC's cost £2,000?

While you might have a preference for one system over another people claiming PC gaming is expensive seem stuck in the late 90's.

Sweet. Can I play Gran Turismo on PC? Can I play GTA games day 1? Can I play Uncharted, The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, or FIFA online with my other console owning friends?

Face it, unless you already have a PC worth upgrading, the upfront cost to build a PC that's going to be worth a damn 5 years from now is going to set you back at least $800.

Why are you listing the console exclusives without listing the PC exclusives as well? If you bought a PC one of it's appeals is the larger library of better games.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

yes pc is more expensive at start up..but evens out in the long run. PLUS you can actually span 2 console gens if built properly. Although im not primarily a pc gamer,I do know the $$$ of it all..ALSO hobbies take money. You either keep up, or you dont..

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

It's more expensive and I prefer it that way. It keeps the cheap gamers out.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The reason some don't opt for high end PC gaming is not only a higher minimum investment, but also a lack of knowledge about potentially interesting exclusives that would compel them to pony up the money.

The problem might simply be advertising. How on earth is someone that hasn't been exposed to the deeper end of the gaming world supposed to know about these un-marketed mysterious games?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@ladyblue said:

^ ^ This. Sure Steam sales are awesome but the start up to get a decent PC is still more expensive than getting a console.

-Horuu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By -Horuu-
Member since 2015 • 39 Posts

@ladyblue said:

How do you make your text pink?

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@slimdogmilionar said:
@MonsieurX said:
@the_master_race said:

915$, that’s the total price I paid through these two years to build my rig ...

Monitor: LG - LED 22MP55 ~ 120$

CPU: i5-34-50 ~ 135$

RAM : 2xKingston 4GB (1600 MHz) DDR3 RAM ~ 61$

Graphic Card : MSI GeForce GTX 970 1279MHz 4GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Gaming TF ~ 249$

HDD 1TB +PSU 700W + MB + K/M + PC Case + other stuff ~ 350 $

How\where did you get a 970 for 250$ ?

Probably Newegg, I've seen them there that cheap. Newegg has some really good deals sometimes, I was able to snag a 280 for $150 a while back.

not from Newgg but I gotta say their prices are really kewl , .... heard they bundled Nvidia 900 series with MGSV too

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5950 Posts

When you put it all in a box that's the size of a PS4/Xbox One and then make it as quiet it becomes even more expensive.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@gwynnblade: you know its kinda interesting how certain topics never go away it's like people refuse to discuss other stuff and instead must repeat the same conversation over and over.

After a while you notice it on other forums as well, but on here you notice it a lot imo a little too much- same topics different titles

like literally some1 could track the previous xyz page thread about this issue and its the same people participating again like really......

aceatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By aceatch
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Well lets look at it this way. My expectations in gaming arn't really that high. I don't mind dropping settings to low/medium 60fps before upgrading. I brought my PC back in 2011 for £550:

i5 2500k @4.5ghz, GTX 560, 8 GB Ram, 1TB HDD, etc.

The GPU lasted me 4 years until i upgraded last month to a GTX 970. Now my OC'ed CPU is the same performance as a top of the end i5 (non-OC). I fully expect that GPU and CPU to further last me 5 maybe 6 years (1 year into the next console gen) until i can't run games no more.

PC: £550

GTX 970: £260

Selling the old GPU: - £40

Total cost: £770 over 9-10 years

Now, lets compared that to if I stayed with consoles. Lets say that I'll keep the PS4 for 5 years before the PS5 comes out.

PS4: £280

PS5: (280/6)X5 = £233.33

PS Plus: 40X10 = £400

Total: £913.33 over 10 years

Total differences: £143.33

Where were we? Oh so PC gaming can work out cheaper in the long run. And I haven't included the fact I can do so much more with a PC that consoles can't do meaning that I would need to have brought a PC anyway. Also I haven't included the fact that PC games are half the price. So even from the get go, buying a PC is cheaper. Add the games into the equation and you'll under see why the console industry is milking the sheeps that are mesmerized by their advertising.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

PC gaming is more expensive simply because I don't want to build a PC with similar specs to a console..

For me PC gaming is all about having the latest hardware and enjoy the games running on max visual settings at best possible frame rates..

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I make sure I buy quality parts so trying to get a $400 pc is a shit pc.

I only PC game in 1080p so my video card runs games just fine. Waiting for Pascal and HBM 2.0.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

No self respecting PC gamer gets a $400 PC. I usually spend that on mouse, keyboard and headset alone when I build a new one.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@nethernova said:

No self respecting PC gamer gets a $400 PC. I usually spend that on mouse, keyboard and headset alone when I build a new one.

So true

My joystick cost £250, KB was £125 Mouse was £70 and my headset was £125

Should I mention my single monitor cost nearly £600?

There are people who post on these very forums who spend far more than I do.

I couldn't care less how much a console costs, it's not for me. The price of a console argument has absolutely no bareing on what I choose to game on, I want the best I can afford so I pay for it.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

My single monitor cost me like $1300 last year

My keyboard mouse hotas and gamepad alone cost me almost $500

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#71  Edited By Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I build a PC last week after having a old 8 year old system.

I used some of my old PC parts to save money (case, hdd, dvd-rw, power supply) and added Am3+ motherboard, amd fx 6350, 8gb ddr-1866, ge force 2gb gtx 750ti for 440$+tax.

If I didn't had the older pc parts to upgrade from it would be close to 600-650$. This doesn't count the copy of windows which I had as well so the real price is around 750-800$. Those are the facts.

However, the PC has the ability to upgrade in future and keep up with demand of newer titles. The way I look at it is that it is a investment, people do much more then game on their PC's. You also don't have to spend 2.000$ to enjoy today or future games. That's a myth that really needs to go away.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#72  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@napo_sp said:

are you sure it's a monitor ? .... maybe u bought a 4K TV instead of monitor

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

of course it is but in the long it will be cheaper because of lower prices,sales and the lack of subscription services

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@1080pOnly: Exactly how often does that argument get used? I hear hermits denounce it all the time, but I it's always an unprovoked rebuke.

I do not want to play video games on a personal computer. Is that so hard to understand? I don't care that games look the best on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I find the so called "pc gamers" in this thread very face palm worthy.. Something with a I3 and a 750 ti (like the alienware alpha which can be found sometimes for under $400) will be able to play every pc game out there at a bit better performance of the PS4.. But cutting edge graphics shouldn't be the main reason why you get a pc, it pisses me off to no end that we have this graphic whores (who really aren't any better than the "console kiddies") that pretty much are boiling down the pc platform to a console with better graphics..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Why oh why are we still peddling this "hobo PC" bullshit?! The whole idea of PC gaming is to get a better experience compared to consoles. If you are building a PC with console specs in mind then you are frankly fucking stupid... If you only have enough for a console then buy a fucking console or continue to save up.

If you're first PC doesn't cost you at least £1000 all in, monitor, KB/M, speakers/headphones, etc then you are doing it wrong!

Quite frankly I find this point idiotic.. Must we look at the most popular pc games on the platform right now? Why in the hell would you need a $1200 machine to play World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Terraria, Minecraft, Counterstrike GO.. The "hardcore" pc games we like to call them like Path of Exile and Divinity Original Sin for instance, can be ran on machines 5 years old with absolute ease.. I think it is you who is "doing it wrong" because the pc is about choice, and depending on what genres and games interest you, that can vary quite wildly.. Seriously this kind of fucking logic is as bad as the "console kiddies". Now there is nothing wrong with you wanting to spend that kind of money, but don't come here telling people such bullshit.

.... It seems to me like you forgot the fact that the pc is about choice, and your preferences are completely different from other peoples preferences.. It is absolutely ridiculous that you would suggest such a high bar when quite literally a I3 and 750ti will play even the most graphically demanding games, like Witcher 3, at as high settings as the PS4 at HIGHER FPS.. That's right, one of the most demanding games ever made, can be played well on a entry level system.. A game that literally makes up 1% of the pc platform base in games.. But nope guys we got to spend that $1200 so we can really CRANK UP that 1% of the pc library... These people are sending every one the wrong message, because in the end day it's about choice.. And these particular people are basically trying to justify their large purchases on running a very small % of games at higher settings and really to me feel like if they had the option of getting a console of similar power.. They would.. Because for some reason the main strength of the pc platform apparently boils down to hardware.. Not the communities, not the mods, not the fact it is a open platform in which smaller devs have made their own niche games for years, or the exclusive genres and franchises it holds.. Nope gotta pump those graphics!.. Because quite clearly playing at 4k resolution is more important than actually playing good games such as Divinity Original Sin, which can be ran well on extremely low spec computers..

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#77 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

If you start from square one with an empty room where you need to buy and put in the necessities to properly enjoy each platform, consoles end up being more expensive.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@napo_sp said:

are you sure it's a monitor ? .... maybe u bought a 4K TV instead of monitor

It's a 34 inchers 3440x1440 monitor, last year when it debuted it cost $1000+ even in US

Oh btw no the cost of pc gaming is not only expensive at the front, a gtx 980ti will only serve you well fpr maximum 3 years even if you were playing at only 1080p, after 2-3rd year you will find yourself wanting faster gpu

And if you built a cheap gaming pc you may want to replace more than your gpu after 3 years

Pc gaming is never cheap and trying to do so defeat the point of it

Dark_man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#79 Dark_man123
Member since 2005 • 4012 Posts

I think pc gaming is for people who have a solid job and can budget for it, when you buy a pc you're also buying an investment because there's quite a few things pc's can do that consoles can't, the gaming industry today is shaping up where a lot of games are for both consoles and pcs and there's not much exclusive to warrant a purchase for a console. with 1300 dollars anyone can build a solid pc.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

I got my PC from a friend so it was the cheapest of the 4 for me.

Cost me £300, WiiU was £310, PS4 was £385 and Xbox One was £499