The Official SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 thread!!! (56k kaboom!)***GAMESPOT 10/10***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3517/smg2hypethreadthunderd.jpg

==============================================================================================================

REVIEWS

10/10[GAMESPOT] "This is not only the new standard against which every 3D platformer must now be judged, but it also seamlessly integrates so many elements from Mario's 2D roots that it stands toe-to-toe with even its genre-defining progenitors. Every aspect of this game is absolutely bursting with joy."

"Everything is so well designed and so entertaining that it's easy to get sucked into this world for hours. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is so phenomenal that it's difficult to imagine where Mario could possibly go in the future."- source

10/10[EDGE] "Galaxy 2 is that rarest of things in Mario's universe: a traditional sequel. After years of running left to right, this is what happens when the plumber stops moving for a moment, before swooping in for another pass. It's no mere expansion: with the first blinding thrill of invention out of the way, it's an opportunity to see exactly what Nintendo has achieved. It's the platformer as playground, puzzle and toybox, as well as assault course, and the result will make you think about history just as its predecessor made you reconsider physics." - source

10/10[IGN]"Consider me "wowed." Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it's not a "me too" experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new. New level challenges, new gameplay mechanics, new (and incredible) orchestral pieces.

Mario has always been a universally appealing game design and Nintendo has done an incredible job to make sure its key franchise is just as accessible to gamers of all walks of life. Most of all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 perfectly captures that ****c videogame charm, the reason why most of us got into gaming from the start." - source

10/10[EUROGAMER]"All this is easy to take for granted - the kind of accomplishment that, by its nature, is invisible. But make no mistake, there is exceptional craft on display. Nintendo shows an easy, confident command of concepts that almost any other developer would struggle to think of or articulate, never mind realise, never mind perfect. You simply will not play a better-made game this year." - source

10/10[EXAMINER] "Magical and pure ecstasy is the feeling you'll experience throughout the entire game. In a world where graphics are king, it's nice to see a game that emphasizes on addicting gameplay once again. If you want to feel like a child again and experience pure unadulterated bliss, Super Mario Galaxy 2 will deliver. Hands down the best release of 2010, so far." - source

10/10[DIGITALCHUMPS] "Mario's about to make history again" "That may be a strong statement, but if you've enjoyed the original Galaxy in its entirety, perhaps you can begin to understand. Amazingly, Galaxy 2 eclipses its predecessor in terms of creative diversity; there are so many unique ideas at play here that it'd be literally impossible to even scratch the surface in writing. The soundtrack is utterly phenomenal. And when I use the word phenomenal, I mean one of the very best in gaming history"- source

10/10[KOMBO] "Super Mario Galaxy was a triumph, but the sequel manages to take things to a new level of excellence by adding new material as well as fixing elements that, in hindsight, did not appear to be broken.Most importantly, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is plenty of fun. I had a smile on my face from the opening level all the way through to the final encounter with Bowser" -source

10/10[GAMESRADAR] "Expanding on the original's brilliance, this ingenious platformer only gets better by embracing the Wii's limited capabilities and adds so many ideas, big and small, that we can't help but love it. Even if you (mistakenly) believe it's too similar to the first game, what's wrong with more of an incredibly great thing?"

10/10[DESTRUCTOID]"The end result is a galaxy of surprise after surprise, all coming together in a game that tops even my past favorites, making this the best Mario game Nintendo has released. Everything you've ever loved and more about the Mario series is here, and you'll be missing out on something truly special by passing on this game.

Or, in short: Best Mario Game Ever." - source

10/10[NINTENDO LIFE]"Every once in a while a video game comes along that's just so spectacular that it ends up defining the very system it's released on and raises the bar by which all other games in the series and genre will be judged. It's safe to say that game has now arrived on the Wii console."

10/10[GAMESDAILY] "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is another breath of fresh air in an oppressively and perhaps misguidedly 'mature' gaming climate, a chubby, blue-eyed God among chest-bumping, photorealism-brown, cover-seeking insects. Whether you own a Wii or not, there are, quite frankly, no excuses."

10/10[THE ONION] "It's confounding how this simple world can evoke feelings of curiosity, wonder, and dread all at once."

5/5[GIANTBOMB] "For all the meaningful changes and additions that have been made, this is still more Super Mario Galaxy--which is to say that it looks and sounds about as good as a game for the Wii ever has, with consistently inventive level design, and exceptionally responsive gameplay. We all like to give Nintendo a hard time for pandering to casual and nostalgic audiences, but when it brings its A-game, it's still able to deliver a fun, accessible game experience that's second to none." - source

5/5[ESCAPIST]"If you didn't buy a Wii to play the last Mario Galaxy get one so that you can play Galaxy 2." - source

5/5[G4TV] "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the culmination of over 20 years of Mario gaming into one fantastically-designed and creative platformer. It's also one of 2010's absolutely best games." - source

A [1UP] "You're drawn along just as inexorably as by a narrative-heavy drama thanks to the sheer inventiveness of the level design, the desire to seek out more of this surprisingly beautiful world, and the addictiveness of capturing more stars."

-/-[JOYSTICK] "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario game ever. There, I said it."

"I won't say that it looks fantastic "for a Wii game" -- SMG2 looks fantastic for a game. Period.... The game is a feast for the eyes, even more so than the first, and is capped by a stirring orchestral score that's among the best I've heard." - source

97%[Official Nintendo Magazine]
- title "lacks the original's impact"
- fantastic music, power-ups, and graphics.
- "a whole new heap of genius"

9.7[GAMETRAILERS] "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of those games made for the game player, and not necessarily the game fan. If you feel like you need a deep, involving story with gobs of cut scenes to stay engaged, then steer clear. But if you play video games for what make them different from other entertainment mediums, then put aside a few days on your calendar and get ready for a top shelf gaming experience. There's more creativity in some single stages in this game, than entire other games." -Video Review

9.25[GAMEINFORMER]

+ "Delivers rock solid, clever and extremelly challenging platforming"

+ "This looks good enough to make me wish the Wii could output true HD"

+ Review states that there are 'over 240 stars' to obtain

- It took the reviewer no less than 4 hours to grab one star, which frustrated him.

- Some motion controls are suposedly "extremely poor". According to some magazine readers the terrible controls he speaks of are the ball rolling segments also found in SMG1.

10/9/9/9[FAMITSU]"My hat goes off to how varied the stages are; they never get boring, and there's a charm to them that makes you want to keep on playing."

==============================================================================================================

VIDEOS

Super Mario Galaxy 2 US Commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRHFkMmdBwQ

Exclusive Gametrailers Videos

---->Exclusive Yoshi Gameplay

---->Exclusive World 3 Gameplay

---->Exclusive World 2 Gameplay

---->Exclusive World 1 Gameplay

Youtube Transmissions

Transmission 1

Transmission 2

Transmission 3

Transmission 4

Transmission 5

Transmission 6

Transmission 7

Transmission 8

Transmission 9

*updating...

Level Clips: Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehkuKV4O9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQ4ZcWa1II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OMq6Xx2W0

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

Definitely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I'l say 9.5, but ultimately, it's going to be amazing regardless of the score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Maybe I should go play SMG some more instead.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Somewhere from 9.0 to 10. No way in hell lower.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I'l say 9.5, but ultimately, it's going to be amazing regardless of the score.jimkabrhel

agreed. I'm saying 9.5 aswell but it doesn't really matter the game will be phenomenal

Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

9.0/9.5

I have a feeling it might get 10

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

I just want to say that i hate everybody who's going to be playing this at launch day...i have to go for a month due to work and no Wii or PS3 in that time (sadly no RDR eihter) our temptative date is may 23 to return in june 26 maybe, oh well, i hate you guys so much. :x

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
AAA on lock! It's going to be a great month overall. I need to get a Wii!
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Do want. Like .. now. :(.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Brilliant thread Thund. I'll be safe and say a 9.0 at here but seriously, the game looks so amazing that it could be a 9.5 or even a 10.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts
My hype is AAA.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41569 Posts
I'm still predicting 8-8.5. Here's hoping I'm wrong and it gets higher.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Oh right. Score wise I'm guessing 9.5.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I'm really rooting for 9.0

Hopefully GS will pull through this time.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Game is going to be ownage. Galaxy is still the best game on the Wii and one of my favorite platformers of the generation. You've made a really nice, clean thread here, too. You can tell your skills with photoshop are excellent! I'm going with 9.0.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
oh fine. i predict 9.5 and I'll buy it >_> not at launch though, because i'm stubborn
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#18 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Oh right. Score wise I'm guessing 9.5.

And if it doesn't, you have to film yourself eating a hat. :P
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts
this game looks really bad, same reboot every year
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26113 Posts
Maybe I should go play SMG some more instead.Jandurin
If you haven't played it, you should.
this game looks really bad, same reboot every yearKevinButlerVP
Halo Reach thread that way.
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KevinButlerVP
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]Maybe I should go play SMG some more instead.Willy105
If you haven't played it, you should.

in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they get
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16

Are you kidding me? "Same reboot every year"? Last Mario Galaxy was released in 2007. Not to mention, NSMB Wii is in a whole different league from SMG.

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 siddhu33

Willy105

I know that he is wrong, but how is Halo:Reach "really bad, same reboot every year"? It keeps the same things that people like about Halo, and manages to add things to keep it fresh!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they getKevinButlerVP
We should stop using "Mario" and "nostalgia" in the same sentence.
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
im hoping for 10.5 if its as enjoyable as the first then its a day 3 buy
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16

in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they getKevinButlerVP
I know Mario has been around since the 80's, but what the hell does Nostalgia have to do with why Mario is so popular now?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] If you haven't played it, you should. [QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]this game looks really bad, same reboot every yearKevinButlerVP

in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they get

It doesn't work that way. Mario games CREATE nostalgia, we don't go into it because there is a sense of nostalgia already. And besides, this game is more different than it's predecessor than most sequels out there, including Uncharted 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
If you haven't played it, you should. Willy105
course i have. one of the best games this gen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
And besides, this game is more different than it's predecessor than most sequels out there, including Uncharted 2.Willy105
because of yoshi? also, wtf, uncharted 2 was EXACTLY like the first, except with EVEN BETTER graphics
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"]And besides, this game is more different than it's predecessor than most sequels out there, including Uncharted 2.Jandurin
because of yoshi? also, wtf, uncharted 2 was EXACTLY like the first, except with EVEN BETTER graphics

No, not just Yoshi. I don't think Uncharted 2 was exactly like the first but with better graphics, but it certainly has less new than SMG2 has to SMG1.
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KevinButlerVP

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they getnintendoboy16

I know Mario has been around since the 80's, but what the hell does Nostalgia have to do with why Mario is so popular now?

its because the concept of a little, Itallian, chubby person named Mario would not work if it were created today. It is obviously nostalgia from people who have followed the series since they were kids. It's just another platformer, kinda like LBP just with no customization
siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 siddhu33

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they getKevinButlerVP

its because the concept of a little, Itallian, chubby person named Mario would not work if it were created today. It is obviously nostalgia from people who have followed the series since they were kids. It's just another platformer, kinda like LBP just with no customization

And how would you know?

I could easily say, that a concept of a racoon that walks on two legs and a robot would not work if it were created today, and without evidence, I would be right.

Also, Uncharted 2 is just another TPA, like Tomb Raider, just with a man. (See what I did there?)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
I don't think Uncharted 2 was exactly like the first but with better graphics, but it certainly has less new than SMG2 has to SMG1.Willy105
I guess you played a different game than I.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Willy105
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] in all honesty, this game is virtually the same as the first one. people are attatched to the series because of a stong nostalgia feeling that they getKevinButlerVP

Is that why Mario Kart DS and Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii some of the best selling games this generation, bought by people who never even played games before? Also, sure it doesn't have the customization of LBP, but it at least as actual gameplay that works.
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KevinButlerVP
[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] I know Mario has been around since the 80's, but what the hell does Nostalgia have to do with why Mario is so popular now?

And how would you know?

I could easily say, that a concept of a racoon that walks on two legs and a robot would not work if it were created today, and without evidence, I would be right.

Also, Uncharted 2 is just another TPA, like Tomb Raider, just with a man. (See what I did there?)

you're right about R&C, can't rally say the same about U2 and Tomb Raider but you never responded to my comment about LBP ;)
siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 siddhu33

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] its because the concept of a little, Itallian, chubby person named Mario would not work if it were created today. It is obviously nostalgia from people who have followed the series since they were kids. It's just another platformer, kinda like LBP just with no customizationKevinButlerVP

And how would you know?

you're right about R&C, can't rally say the same about U2 and Tomb Raider but you never responded to my comment about LBP ;)

Then I will respond:

LBP beats Mario Galaxy in features and integration, while Mario Galaxy trounces LBP in actual gameplay.

Considering that a platformer is all about gameplay, Mario wins.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
AAA
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
No poll means no sticky!
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
No poll means no sticky!Ratchet_Fan8
Poll added
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ratchet_Fan8

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"] its because the concept of a little, Itallian, chubby person named Mario would not work if it were created today. It is obviously nostalgia from people who have followed the series since they were kids. It's just another platformer, kinda like LBP just with no customizationsiddhu33

Is that why Mario Kart DS and Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii some of the best selling games this generation, bought by people who never even played games before? Also, sure it doesn't have the customization of LBP, but it at least as actual gameplay that works.

I have to admit, KevinButlerVP:

A cookie for the person that knows where this is from!

Simpsons??? also,im thinking its 9 or 8.5

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ratchet_Fan8
[QUOTE="Ratchet_Fan8"]No poll means no sticky!Thunderdrone
Poll added

Double post,good,thanks
siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 siddhu33

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

[QUOTE="Willy105"] Is that why Mario Kart DS and Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. DS and Wii some of the best selling games this generation, bought by people who never even played games before? Also, sure it doesn't have the customization of LBP, but it at least as actual gameplay that works.Ratchet_Fan8

Unlucky. That's not it. Try again!

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts

[QUOTE="Ratchet_Fan8"]

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

siddhu33

Unlucky. That's not it. Try again!

That 70's show

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

To people who say that we like Mario because of nostalgia, it's actually the other way around. You don't like todays Mario games because you crave "Super Mario World 2 where you can take Yoshi to every level" now that's nostalgia.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KevinButlerVP

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"][QUOTE="siddhu33"]

And how would you know?

alextherussian

and you havent responded to me in the other thread. Seem a bit hypocritcal of you to run away like that no?

u said innovator was teh start of the genre, while I said the innovator was the top game in the genre wat else is there to say

--

kinda obvious

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] If you haven't played it, you should. [QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]this game looks really bad, same reboot every yearKevinButlerVP

In all honesty you are a huge fanboy with zerocredibility. SMG is 10x better than any platformer on the PS3, and SMG2 looks only to improve on the greatness of the 1st. Don't worry though... you'll be okay, I hear ignorance is bliss.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Looks like it's time for me to dust off my wii again. Hoping for a 9.5 or maybe even a 10.