The next year or so will be a marketing nightmare for Microsoft

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nogginkl
Member since 2004 • 345 Posts

By then many consoles will have been older than 3 yrs and the warranty for Red Ring of Death will have run out. When RRoD hits, and consumer backlash begins anew, with RRoD headlines invading newspapers and the internet, what will Microsoft do? Will the 360 sales take a hit because of consumer resentment towards Microsoft?

Also, how will Microsoft respond to the superior games on the PS3, when developers have finally mastered the Cell processor?

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
Dont you think you're jumping a bit too far ahead? That outcome isn't exactly guaranteed, y'know.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
ill try to be delicate in this...no one can predict the future, all that matters right now in the gaming world is the now
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

Three years....

It's amazing how little the Xbox 360 has actually accomplished for gaming since it launched, eh?

theflash118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 theflash118
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts
So even 360 bashing has "just wait" attached to it
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
So even 360 bashing has "just wait" attached to ittheflash118

^^^ teh funnay comment of the day....nice one :)
Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts

teh ring

Begin the advertising!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18826 Posts

Three years....

It's amazing how little the Xbox 360 has actually accomplished for gaming since it launched, eh?

mjarantilla

the PS2 was a beast its 1st 2 yrs

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

teh ring

Begin the advertising!

PS3Compass
So the cows finally have an answer to the lemming's beloved photoshopped "Just Wait" PS3 exclusive.
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

teh ring

Begin the advertising!

PS3Compass

seems like an epic horror movie...cant wait for it
the_jetimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_jetimaster
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

teh ring

Begin the advertising!

mingo123

seems like an epic horror movie...cant wait for it

lol nice this is just funny.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

By then many consoles will have been older than 3 yrs and the warranty for Red Ring of Death will have run out. When RRoD hits, and consumer backlash begins anew, with RRoD headlines invading newspapers and the internet, what will Microsoft do? Will the 360 sales take a hit because of consumer resentment towards Microsoft?

Also, how will Microsoft respond to the superior games on the PS3, when developers have finally mastered the Cell processor?

nogginkl

To be fair, it is pretty much confirmed that the RROD is caused by overheating of the graphics chip. the GPU. MS has already announced (months ago) that the smaller, cooler, 65nm GPUs will be put into 360s before the end of 2008.

Whether or not that will completely fix the RROD problem? I don't know, but it will certainly do more than anything done so far.

the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_one34
Member since 2004 • 1105 Posts
I'm a PS3 fan and I highly doubt Microsoft is gonna have a 'marketing nightmare' this year. It's not like they don't have ANY good exclusives coming out...just not as huge a list as PS3. THe 360 had its year :p
long_dong_goo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 long_dong_goo
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts

teh ring

Begin the advertising!

PS3Compass

hahahahahaha

that's actually pretty good

Assuming they fix these issues, it won't be a marketing nightmare.

If people are still returning their consoles and receiving faulty machines back, MS is in for one long nightmare. They might be better off spending that money and creating a RELIABLE new console that is backwards compatible with the current stash of Xbox360 games.

Not that it's much relief for those already with broken units.

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nogginkl
[QUOTE="nogginkl"]

ZIMdoom

To be fair, it is pretty much confirmed that the RROD is caused by overheating of the graphics chip. the GPU. MS has already announced (months ago) that the smaller, cooler, 65nm GPUs will be put into 360s before the end of 2008.

Whether or not that will completely fix the RROD problem? I don't know, but it will certainly do more than anything done so far.

Even the new consoles are about 10 times less reliable than the PS3 or Wii, according to an insider who leaked the Bungie leaving Microsoft news.

I am really talking about the consoles older than 3 yrs. Many, many will break. Many people will curse at Microsoft for knowingly selling them a shoddy console without making it clear to them about the risks.

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
I can tell you that if my 360 RROD's after the warranty has expired, I won't be getting another one. Not with my new gaming PC assembled. :D
nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nogginkl

What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.bigevil_rashek

I cannot see the future, but I can see reality. The reality is that there will be millions of 360 consoles older than 3 yrs. The realitity is that those older consoles have more chance to break than the PS3 or Wii. That said, a high rate of 360 dying will still occur. That's reality.

Only games matter? Yes, if you don't have a broken console. Ask a friend or someone you know who went through an RRoD. You think they will tell you only games matter?

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I agree it could be a nightmare if all of a sudden people start having to pay $170 to have their X360 fixed. It's going to be very upsetting if you pay the money only to have it break again.
MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts

[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"] What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.nogginkl

I cannot see the future, but I can see reality. The reality is that there will be millions of 360 consoles older than 3 yrs. The realitity is that those older consoles have more chance to break than the PS3 or Wii. That said, a high rate of 360 dying will still occur. That's reality.

Only games matter? Yes, if you don't have a broken console. Ask a friend or someone you know who went through an RRoD. You think they will tell you only games matter?

All of my friends with 360's have said they do, so.... yes?

Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
Next year? As in 2009? yeah just put your crystal ball away plz.
MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts

I agree it could be a nightmare if all of a sudden people start having to pay $170 to have their X360 fixed. It's going to be very upsetting if you pay the money only to have it break again. EmperorSupreme

It's roughly equivalent to the cost of the 3 games you didn't buy for the PS3 last year.

:P

notalkjustrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 notalkjustrock
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
I think the RRoD nightmare will have significant consequences in the next generation.
kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

I think the RRoD nightmare will have significant consequences in the next generation.notalkjustrock

That mght be true, just look at Sony and how bad the PS3 is doing now. Probably back lash from all those DRE errors with the PS2s. It's either that or the horrible job Sony did with the PS3 and the lack of many quality games. Personally I think the backlass from the DRE errors is what's causing the poor performance of Sony this gen. Isn't that what you're saying about next gen???

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nogginkl

Next year? As in 2009? yeah just put your crystal ball away plz.TheDarkDisciple

yes, 2009. I said next year or so--early 2009 to late 2009. There will be millions of 360s older than 3 yrs. Not crystal ball. A working brain. Yours working OK?

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3186 Posts

[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"] What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.nogginkl

My console went down on me twice and got fixed twice for free. so I will tell you this, YES the games matter, it sucks that my 360 died twice so I miss a month of playing and got a free month on live for my troubles, its not the end of the world when the system breaks down. Damn dude, people have lives you know, if the system is broken, two weeks won't kill you.

I know at least 6 people who have had their system get the RROD, guess what? everyone of them still owns a 360, none are switching to PS3 or the Wii, all my friends own a 360, Im not switching to a system that only 3 of my friends have, while around 16 to 20 of my friends have a 360.

jesus. spend more time on productive things, instead of hating on a machine made of plastic and wires, don't you have brothers and sisters to talk to? friends to hang with?

all this hate and arguing is getting so old, same old Sh** everyone keeps arguing about, 3 years from now, all of you will still be arguing about the same crap, don't you guys get tired?

vegetattack15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vegetattack15
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
[QUOTE="nogginkl"]

[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"] What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.LEGEND_C4A

My console went down on me twice and got fixed twice for free. so I will tell you this, YES the games matter, it sucks that my 360 died twice so I miss a month of playing and got a free month on live for my troubles, its not the end of the world when the system breaks down. Damn dude, people have lives you know, if the system is broken, two weeks won't kill you.

I know at least 6 people who have had their system get the RROD, guess what? everyone of them still owns a 360, none are switching to PS3 or the Wii, all my friends own a 360, Im not switching to a system that only 3 of my friends have, while around 16 to 20 of my friends have a 360.

jesus. spend more time on productive things, instead of hating on a machine made of plastic and wires, don't you have brothers and sisters to talk to? friends to hang with?

all this hate and arguing is getting so old, same old Sh** everyone keeps arguing about, 3 years from now, all of you will still be arguing about the same crap, don't you guys get tired?

I wish my console would go down on me. I would never complain again.
notalkjustrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 notalkjustrock
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
I don't think people will feel like switching their current console because of the RRoD, but the RRoD diminishes brand loyalty. Next generation, casual gamer A who had to send in their 360 3 times because of RRoD will be less likely to buy MS's new console than a user who never RRoD'd their 360. That has consequences.
nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nogginkl
[QUOTE="nogginkl"]

[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"] What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.LEGEND_C4A

Microsoft fixed your and your friends consoles so far. That's because they are not yet 3 yrs old. What happens when your console breaks down and Microsoft wont fix it for you for free? That's right. Not many people are talking about this yet, the day when Microsoft won't care about the broken 360s. That day is coming closer and closer...starting this year even--2008!

nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nicenator
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts
Nah, they'll do fine :). Don't forget, they have a hell of a lot of those wii owners ready to "graduate" right?
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="LEGEND_C4A"][QUOTE="nogginkl"]

Microsoft fixed your and your friends consoles so far. That's because they are not yet 3 yrs old. What happens when your console breaks down and Microsoft wont fix it for you for free? That's right. Not many people are talking about this yet, the day when Microsoft won't care about the broken 360s. That day is coming closer and closer...starting this year even--2008!

i find it funny that you don't mention the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the 360 will have the issue of RROD resolved. meanwhile, any competitor's console will have been out of warranty 2-3 years.

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nogginkl
[QUOTE="nogginkl"][QUOTE="LEGEND_C4A"][QUOTE="nogginkl"]

[QUOTE="bigevil_rashek"] What....you can see the future? And i think the new 65nm chips will solve the rrod problems, and the 360 has a great game lineup in 08, which is all that matters.clone01

i find it funny that you don't mention the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the 360 will have the issue of RROD resolved. meanwhile, any competitor's console will have been out of warranty 2-3 years.

Not funny if you are smart like me. All of the 360s older than 3 yrs in 2009 will be the old 360s, the original ones. You and most gamers aren't thinking about it right now. I am sure Microsoft is worried right now. Mark my words, the subject in this topic will be raised again in a year or so.

long_dong_goo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 long_dong_goo
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts

LEGEND_C4A

1) Two weeks here, two weeks there, and it all adds up to significant time. That is not what I paid for when I plunked down $400 for a console.

2) All your friends are either stupid or locked-in. It's not fun telling Mommy and Daddy that you need to start all over again with a console. Heck, it's not even fun telling YOURSELF that news. Think about walking into your local game store, plunking down items which you spent hard-earned money for, and then seeing that store give you pennies for your dollar. They aren't switching because they don't have a choice.

3) Arguing? You can argue it's not productive. But then again, it's SW. What else is there to talk about? And then again, you're here. Aren't you?

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

teh ring

Begin the advertising!

PS3Compass

Hahahahaha omfg that made me lol so hard. Very nice.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="nogginkl"][QUOTE="LEGEND_C4A"][QUOTE="nogginkl"]

Not funny if you are smart like me. All of the 360s older than 3 yrs in 2009 will be the old 360s, the original ones. You and most gamers aren't thinking about it right now. I am sure Microsoft is worried right now. Mark my words, the subject in this topic will be raised again in a year or so.

Did you ever stop to think that 3 years just may be long enough to weed out the vast majority of machines that will RROD? It seems like the overwhelming majority that get the RROD do so fairly quickly, if the machine has worked for 3 years, I think the odds are pretty good that the machine is part of the at least 70% of 360's that didn't suffer from RROD.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
I thought they dropped the cell
nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nogginkl

Did you ever stop to think that 3 years just may be long enough to weed out the vast majority of machines that will RROD? It seems like the overwhelming majority that get the RROD do so fairly quickly, if the machine has worked for 3 years, I think the odds are pretty good that the machine is part of the at least 70% of 360's that didn't suffer from RROD. Steppy_76

Yes. The weeding out phenomenon helps, but definitely be not enough because the consoles are made from the same factories, using the exact same pieces and methods. More likley than not they still have a higher rate of failure than PS3's the same age. Microsoft can't get away with this. Who knows how many of those old consoles and refurbished ones are still in stores.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts
i seriously want to see all you bachlor degrees in buiness and economic analyis, because as long as the rrod probem gets addressed microsoft has no problem
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts
Get a lod of the newcomer. Cute ideas. I guess I will just WAIT!
nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nogginkl

i seriously want to see all you bachlor degrees in buiness and economic analyis, because as long as the rrod probem gets addressed microsoft has no problemmlbslugger86

THAT is Microsoft's problem: addressing the RRoDs after the warranty expires! Losing more money? Talking FUD with enough voodoo to fool the lemmings again? All the while with the PS3 cruising along with better looking games, superior hardware, blu-ray, and no RROD.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

nogginkl

How old are you? Does writing this make you feel good for buying a ps3? I don't care what you cows say usually but this is sad. There's just as many good xbox 360 games coming out this year than the ps3. I'm sorry to disapoint you. Here *gives some hay*

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mlbslugger86

[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]i seriously want to see all you bachlor degrees in buiness and economic analyis, because as long as the rrod probem gets addressed microsoft has no problemnogginkl

THAT is Microsoft's problem: addressing the RRoDs after the warranty expires! Losing more money? Talking FUD with enough voodoo to fool the lemmings again? All the while with the PS3 cruising along with better looking games, superior hardware, blu-ray, and no RROD.

watch out that you don't fall off the bed when you wake up from your dream, wheather you want to admit it or not the playstations 3 graphics are basically the as 360's, sure it may one or two graphical diffrences but they look alike

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts
At least most 360 owners didnt waste their money buying a ps3... everyone at this point can agree how bad that console is...
EazyD91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EazyD91
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts

[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]i seriously want to see all you bachlor degrees in buiness and economic analyis, because as long as the rrod probem gets addressed microsoft has no problemnogginkl

Wow, better "Looking" games, superior hardware "but overall no good games" cows :lol:

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nogginkl
[QUOTE="nogginkl"]

xsubtownerx

How old are you? Does writing this make you feel good for buying a ps3? I don't care what you cows say usually but this is sad. There's just as many good xbox 360 games coming out this year than the ps3. I'm sorry to disapoint you. Here *gives some hay*

Old enough to have a well developed brain. You know, the kind of brain Microsoft doesn't like. You like my brain?

Purleeese. You dare talking about better games this year? Microsoft played up all their good cards last year. This year, it's Sony's turn. Give me hay? How about I give you a bad day by telling you I am smarter than you?

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nogginkl
[QUOTE="nogginkl"]

[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]i seriously want to see all you bachlor degrees in buiness and economic analyis, because as long as the rrod probem gets addressed microsoft has no problemEazyD91

Wow, better "Looking" games, superior hardware "but overall no good games" cows :lol:

In 2008, with major exclusives coming, if you don't want to see "good games" on the PS3, that smile on your face will disappear.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mlbslugger86
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="nogginkl"]

nogginkl

Old enough to have a well developed brain. You know, the kind of brain Microsoft doesn't like. You like my brain?

Purleeese. You dare talking about better games this year? Microsoft played up all their good cards last year. This year, it's Sony's turn. Give me hay? How about I give you a bad day by telling you I am smarter than you?

yeah i think sony took you to this dark room in back of sony of america and brainwashed you, because if you have a well developed brain you would see that its childish to be loyal to a corporation that in the end only likes your money

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
If someone's X-Box hasn't quit until after 3 years it's not that big of a deal, PS2's would quit earlier then that and they had a one year warranty. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.
mongo_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mongo_14
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="nogginkl"]

nogginkl

list your GPAs for confirmation. lol

nogginkl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nogginkl
[QUOTE="nogginkl"]

[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]i seriously want to see all you bachlor degrees in buiness and economic analyis, because as long as the rrod probem gets addressed microsoft has no problemmlbslugger86

watch out that you don't fall off the bed when you wake up from your dream, wheather you want to admit it or not the playstations 3 graphics are basically the as 360's, sure it may one or two graphical diffrences but they look alike

Sure they are about the same now...but much longer. You dare bet a 1000 dollars on which console will have the best looking game in 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. I will bet you every year. Chicken.