The Last Console Launch that Actually had a Killer App?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by RealJaysonguy (219 posts) -

Ignoring all the fanboy raging over Killzone and Dead Rising, I've started wondering about when the last time we actually had a console launch that had a must have game,

The Wii U certainly didn't have any must buys, so now I'm looking back to PsWii60. I think it's safe to say Perfect Dark Zero and Resistance Fall of Man weren't exactly a justifiable reason to purchase a 360 or ps3, so that leaves the Wii in the last generation. And that leaves the weird debate of Twilight Princess.

As a Nintendo fan, I'm going to play fair and consider Twilight Princess a moot point, considering it was supposed to be a Gamecube exclusive, and in doing so, we have to move even farther back in time. That leaves Halo.

Gamecube had one of the best overall launch lineups ever, with Pikmin, Rogue Squadron 2, Luigi's Mansion, and Smash Bros. Melee. I don't think we'll ever see another launch lineup like that ever again, but even then, those games worked as a collective whole, rather than a single experience that propelled us into a new generation of gaming. Again, that leaves Halo.

I'm sorry to the ps2 fans, but while the ps2 dominated sales wise and had tons of great content over its lifespan, its launch lineup didn't contain anything that stood out. Halo did. Halo did in a way that ushered in a new era of FPS, that we're arguably still in today, though I hope we start getting some fresher ideas. But everything about playing Halo for the first time just felt different.

What's the consensus for everyone else? When was the last time you picked up a system on day one and played something that truly pushed gaming further than it had ever been?

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (44740 posts) -

Xbox-Halo

#3 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

I think Gravity Rush was a launch game in Japan for Vita.

#4 Posted by Jag85 (3983 posts) -

I think the answer should be obvious:

Wii Sports

That game was probably the biggest factor behind the Wii's phenomenal success last generation.

#5 Posted by AppleFan1991 (2912 posts) -

Personally, I loved the PS3 for Resistance: Fall of Man. But to me the best, is the GameCube. It had SSBM and Luigi's Mansion. 2 awesome games

#6 Posted by trugs26 (4640 posts) -

Xbox-Halo

@Jag85 said:

Wii Sports

That game was probably the biggest factor behind the Wii's phenomenal success last generation.

These two are the only correct answers depending on your view.

#7 Edited by Zophar87 (4323 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Wii Sports

I'd be entitled to agree with this statement but the majority of SW will strongly disagree.

#8 Posted by Telekill (3936 posts) -

I'm going to go with Dreamcast. It had both Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur.

#9 Posted by kemar7856 (11489 posts) -

@Zophar87:
n64 had mario 64
GC smash bros melee
wii sports i hate to admit it I got mines for twlight princess though
xbox-dead or alive 3 blew me away but I discovered halo because it was a bundle
DC-sonic adventure
ps2-none at launch nothing stood out sf ex 3 was the game I played the most
360 had none I dont know how PD zero got 9/10 here
ps3 none
ps4/xbox one -none

#10 Posted by Seabas989 (9647 posts) -

N64: SM64

DC: Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber

Xbox: Halo CE

Wii: Wii Sports

#11 Posted by Macutchi (3903 posts) -

my top 3:

snes - super mario world and f-zero.

n64 - mario 64.

x-box - halo

#12 Posted by Netret0120 (1517 posts) -

Wii Sports last gen

Halo and Smash bros

Tekken

#13 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
#14 Posted by hiphops_savior (7564 posts) -

@Zophar87 said:

@Jag85 said:

Wii Sports

I'd be entitled to agree with this statement but the majority of SW will strongly disagree.

Because SW=mainstream audience.

Face it, you have to admit Wii Sports is brilliant. It was a delightfully simple concept that showcased the Wii's strength. The Wii U didn't have that for its first year.

#15 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (5683 posts) -

The Xbox 360 had Kameo. It's not really a killer app, but it's still one of the best exclusive games on the console.

Also, Wii Sports. Most consoles launch with a killer app, really. It's kind of sad that none of the current gen consoles did that. This is the first Nintendo console that has ever launched without one.

#16 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

It would be the Wii with Wii Sports.

#17 Posted by jsmoke03 (12027 posts) -

the last was og xbox....gc had some dope games too....but not too many good games after that launch

#18 Edited by gameofthering (9621 posts) -

The actual launch or just the launch in our own country?

#19 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

PGR3 was the 360's killer app going over a million in a short time.

People forgot that PGR was the Xbox's flagship franchise at a time. It was the filler before Gears of War and Halo 3 dropped it out. (and oddly Forza started to do well all of a sudden after the decent reception of the first game.)

PS3 had a killer app, it was Ridge Racer 7, Ridge Racer 7 is usually forgotten because buyers stopped buying the game once the hype died down. So it was a short term killer App..

#20 Edited by Couth_ (9664 posts) -

People forgot that PGR was the Xbox's flagship franchise at a time. It was the filler before Gears of War and Halo 3 dropped it out. (and oddly Forza started to do well all of a sudden after the decent reception of the first game.)

PS3 had a killer app, it was Ridge Racer 7, Ridge Racer 7 is usually forgotten because buyers stopped buying the game once the hype died down. So it was a short term killer App..

Ehhh. Don't think you know what killer app is. And those games aren't that great.. Am I the only one that thinks that in previous generations, launch games got a pass and a higher score than deserved for being launch games with no expectations. And this gen, the games got weaker scores because they had high expectations with no regard for the fact that they were launch games

Halo is the only game I would consider a killer app at launch. Maybe Madden for PS2. I remember many heads were blown at the graphics and gameplay jump, and that surely boosted sales

#21 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

Ehhh. Don't think you know what killer app is. And those games aren't that great.. Am I the only one that thinks that in previous generations, launch games got a pass and a higher score than deserved for being launch games with no expectations. And this gen, the games got weaker scores because they had high expectations with no regard for the fact that they were launch games

Halo is the only game I would consider a killer app at launch. Maybe Madden for PS2. I remember many heads were blown at the graphics and gameplay jump, and that surely boosted sales

No you don't know what a killer app is. It's the must have game that moves systems.

PGR3 was acclaimed and moves many, many, consoles.

So did Ridge racer to a lesser extend and a much shorter period of time after being disappointed by giant enemy crabs.

#22 Edited by Couth_ (9664 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

No you don't know what a killer app is. It's the must have game that moves systems.

So did Ridge racer to a lesser extend and a much shorter period of time after being disappointed by giant enemy crabs.

PGR3 didn't move shit and sold less than Ridge Racer and NEITHER of them were must have games

#23 Edited by freedomfreak (36387 posts) -

Xbox-Halo

gzah

although halo is ookay

it finclued a loT

#24 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

PGR3 didn't move shit and sold less than Ridge Racer and NEITHER of them were must have games

PGR 3 sold over 1 million units..... So did 4....What are you on?

#25 Edited by Seabas989 (9647 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

COD2 moved consoles.

#26 Posted by millerlight89 (18330 posts) -

OMG look at the guy say PGR3. LOL. Halo is the right answer.

#27 Posted by kinectthedots (941 posts) -

@Telekill said:

I'm going to go with Dreamcast. It had both Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur.

#28 Posted by jer_1 (7243 posts) -

XBOX - Halo, back then that game was incredible!

#29 Posted by shellcase86 (1688 posts) -

Torn between Halo and GC's launch. Reading TC's post, Wii with Wii Sports doesn't count.

#30 Posted by NFJSupreme (4524 posts) -

Cod2 for the 360 should be on the list

#31 Posted by stuff238 (533 posts) -

PS4 - Killzone Shadowfall. Must have game.

#32 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1293 posts) -

Well, when was the last time a console:

a. Demonstrated astronomically better technical abilities then other consoles available?

OR

b. Allowed developers to do things they couldn't do before (i.e. new controller)

I can't think of any. But I only go as far back as the original XBOX.

The PS4 and XBONE are selling quite well considering they have only have mediocre games. What incentive is there for console makers to make a great launch lineup if people are trying buying the consoles faster than they can make them?

#33 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

COD2 moved consoles.

It wasn't a killer app. It did not "move consoles" by a significant margin. PGR did.

#34 Posted by Renegade_Fury (16727 posts) -

Xbox with Halo CE.

#35 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (2533 posts) -

Wii U with ZombiU.

#36 Posted by Seabas989 (9647 posts) -

@Seabas989 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

COD2 moved consoles.

It wasn't a killer app. It did not "move consoles" by a significant margin. PGR did.

lol sure.

#37 Posted by Vatusus (3771 posts) -

Dont know about consoles but when I first played Halo on PC (like 1 or 2 years after the Xbox release, dont remember) the game just felt very... mediocre

It may have been a killer app for people who werent used on FPS on consoles but for me it certainly wouldnt be a "killer app"