The Last Console Launch that Actually had a Killer App?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

Ignoring all the fanboy raging over Killzone and Dead Rising, I've started wondering about when the last time we actually had a console launch that had a must have game,

The Wii U certainly didn't have any must buys, so now I'm looking back to PsWii60. I think it's safe to say Perfect Dark Zero and Resistance Fall of Man weren't exactly a justifiable reason to purchase a 360 or ps3, so that leaves the Wii in the last generation. And that leaves the weird debate of Twilight Princess.

As a Nintendo fan, I'm going to play fair and consider Twilight Princess a moot point, considering it was supposed to be a Gamecube exclusive, and in doing so, we have to move even farther back in time. That leaves Halo.

Gamecube had one of the best overall launch lineups ever, with Pikmin, Rogue Squadron 2, Luigi's Mansion, and Smash Bros. Melee. I don't think we'll ever see another launch lineup like that ever again, but even then, those games worked as a collective whole, rather than a single experience that propelled us into a new generation of gaming. Again, that leaves Halo.

I'm sorry to the ps2 fans, but while the ps2 dominated sales wise and had tons of great content over its lifespan, its launch lineup didn't contain anything that stood out. Halo did. Halo did in a way that ushered in a new era of FPS, that we're arguably still in today, though I hope we start getting some fresher ideas. But everything about playing Halo for the first time just felt different.

What's the consensus for everyone else? When was the last time you picked up a system on day one and played something that truly pushed gaming further than it had ever been?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Xbox-Halo

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I think Gravity Rush was a launch game in Japan for Vita.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I think the answer should be obvious:

Wii Sports

That game was probably the biggest factor behind the Wii's phenomenal success last generation.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Personally, I loved the PS3 for Resistance: Fall of Man. But to me the best, is the GameCube. It had SSBM and Luigi's Mansion. 2 awesome games

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Xbox-Halo

@Jag85 said:

Wii Sports

That game was probably the biggest factor behind the Wii's phenomenal success last generation.

These two are the only correct answers depending on your view.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Wii Sports

I'd be entitled to agree with this statement but the majority of SW will strongly disagree.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm going to go with Dreamcast. It had both Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@Zophar87:
n64 had mario 64
GC smash bros melee
wii sports i hate to admit it I got mines for twlight princess though
xbox-dead or alive 3 blew me away but I discovered halo because it was a bundle
DC-sonic adventure
ps2-none at launch nothing stood out sf ex 3 was the game I played the most
360 had none I dont know how PD zero got 9/10 here
ps3 none
ps4/xbox one -none

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

N64: SM64

DC: Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber

Xbox: Halo CE

Wii: Wii Sports

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

my top 3:

snes - super mario world and f-zero.

n64 - mario 64.

x-box - halo

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Wii Sports last gen

Halo and Smash bros

Tekken

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Xbox-Halo

Pretty much this.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Zophar87 said:

@Jag85 said:

Wii Sports

I'd be entitled to agree with this statement but the majority of SW will strongly disagree.

Because SW=mainstream audience.

Face it, you have to admit Wii Sports is brilliant. It was a delightfully simple concept that showcased the Wii's strength. The Wii U didn't have that for its first year.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The Xbox 360 had Kameo. It's not really a killer app, but it's still one of the best exclusive games on the console.

Also, Wii Sports. Most consoles launch with a killer app, really. It's kind of sad that none of the current gen consoles did that. This is the first Nintendo console that has ever launched without one.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

It would be the Wii with Wii Sports.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

the last was og xbox....gc had some dope games too....but not too many good games after that launch

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

The actual launch or just the launch in our own country?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

PGR3 was the 360's killer app going over a million in a short time.

People forgot that PGR was the Xbox's flagship franchise at a time. It was the filler before Gears of War and Halo 3 dropped it out. (and oddly Forza started to do well all of a sudden after the decent reception of the first game.)

PS3 had a killer app, it was Ridge Racer 7, Ridge Racer 7 is usually forgotten because buyers stopped buying the game once the hype died down. So it was a short term killer App..

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

People forgot that PGR was the Xbox's flagship franchise at a time. It was the filler before Gears of War and Halo 3 dropped it out. (and oddly Forza started to do well all of a sudden after the decent reception of the first game.)

PS3 had a killer app, it was Ridge Racer 7, Ridge Racer 7 is usually forgotten because buyers stopped buying the game once the hype died down. So it was a short term killer App..

Ehhh. Don't think you know what killer app is. And those games aren't that great.. Am I the only one that thinks that in previous generations, launch games got a pass and a higher score than deserved for being launch games with no expectations. And this gen, the games got weaker scores because they had high expectations with no regard for the fact that they were launch games

Halo is the only game I would consider a killer app at launch. Maybe Madden for PS2. I remember many heads were blown at the graphics and gameplay jump, and that surely boosted sales

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jakandsigz

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

Ehhh. Don't think you know what killer app is. And those games aren't that great.. Am I the only one that thinks that in previous generations, launch games got a pass and a higher score than deserved for being launch games with no expectations. And this gen, the games got weaker scores because they had high expectations with no regard for the fact that they were launch games

Halo is the only game I would consider a killer app at launch. Maybe Madden for PS2. I remember many heads were blown at the graphics and gameplay jump, and that surely boosted sales

No you don't know what a killer app is. It's the must have game that moves systems.

PGR3 was acclaimed and moves many, many, consoles.

So did Ridge racer to a lesser extend and a much shorter period of time after being disappointed by giant enemy crabs.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

No you don't know what a killer app is. It's the must have game that moves systems.

So did Ridge racer to a lesser extend and a much shorter period of time after being disappointed by giant enemy crabs.

PGR3 didn't move shit and sold less than Ridge Racer and NEITHER of them were must have games

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Xbox-Halo

gzah

although halo is ookay

it finclued a loT

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jakandsigz

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

PGR3 didn't move shit and sold less than Ridge Racer and NEITHER of them were must have games

PGR 3 sold over 1 million units..... So did 4....What are you on?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seabas989

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

COD2 moved consoles.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

OMG look at the guy say PGR3. LOL. Halo is the right answer.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@Telekill said:

I'm going to go with Dreamcast. It had both Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

XBOX - Halo, back then that game was incredible!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Torn between Halo and GC's launch. Reading TC's post, Wii with Wii Sports doesn't count.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Cod2 for the 360 should be on the list

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PS4 - Killzone Shadowfall. Must have game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#32 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Well, when was the last time a console:

a. Demonstrated astronomically better technical abilities then other consoles available?

OR

b. Allowed developers to do things they couldn't do before (i.e. new controller)

I can't think of any. But I only go as far back as the original XBOX.

The PS4 and XBONE are selling quite well considering they have only have mediocre games. What incentive is there for console makers to make a great launch lineup if people are trying buying the consoles faster than they can make them?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jakandsigz

@Seabas989 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

COD2 moved consoles.

It wasn't a killer app. It did not "move consoles" by a significant margin. PGR did.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Xbox with Halo CE.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Wii U with ZombiU.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Seabas989

@Jakandsigz said:

@Seabas989 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Couth_ said:

@Jakandsigz said:

COD2 moved consoles.

It wasn't a killer app. It did not "move consoles" by a significant margin. PGR did.

lol sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Dont know about consoles but when I first played Halo on PC (like 1 or 2 years after the Xbox release, dont remember) the game just felt very... mediocre

It may have been a killer app for people who werent used on FPS on consoles but for me it certainly wouldnt be a "killer app"