ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

@zaryia: that's good and all, but how about that picture of your pc, jankarop's alt?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@fedor said:

@xhawk27: A lot less games? LMAO!

If MS made all games only on Xbox, PC gamers wouldn't play the best Race games this gen. Play fun games like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Gears 4, etc.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@zaryia said:
@joshrmeyer said:

@zaryia: If a multiplat has HDR on the X but not on PC, I'd say it looks better on the X since X basically uses high settings. Then again, the fps debate is always going to favor PC.

Even if that was true, which it's not, that's a small % of games this gen.

Oh and it's not true. Witcher 3 has HDR, and DF (on top of simple screenshot evidence) declared it still better on PC. And that's not even using mods.

X games don't all use high settings. Most X games look better on PC, and have lower settings here and there. Most of which are more noticeable than HDR.

DF are a bunch of Xbox haters. I wouldn't believe anything they say.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

And the number of games xbox has with RT: 0.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

@xhawk27 said:
@zaryia said:
@joshrmeyer said:

@zaryia: If a multiplat has HDR on the X but not on PC, I'd say it looks better on the X since X basically uses high settings. Then again, the fps debate is always going to favor PC.

Even if that was true, which it's not, that's a small % of games this gen.

Oh and it's not true. Witcher 3 has HDR, and DF (on top of simple screenshot evidence) declared it still better on PC. And that's not even using mods.

X games don't all use high settings. Most X games look better on PC, and have lower settings here and there. Most of which are more noticeable than HDR.

DF are a bunch of Xbox haters. I wouldn't believe anything they say.

Not sure why you’d believe anything that dude says lol. He always lying, passing off his opinions as if they’re fact

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

@xhawk27: All those games except forza are sub par expiriences.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#107  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts
@GioVela2010 said:
@zaryia said:
@GioVela2010 said:
@zaryia said:

MetaCritic:

PC: 411

PS4: 298

Gamespot:

PC: 380

PS4: 315

Digital Foundry:

Over 90% of multiplatform titles are better experienced on PC.

8 to 0

I mean, you were wrong on both accounts.

Most games look and run better on PC. not XB1X.

PC has the best library according to the 2 main sites we use here. Not PS4.

Explain why the game below should be counted towards PC’s AA games on Metacritic and not PS4’s

i don’t use flawed scoring methods

Probably because the dozen or so Sony websites and magazines that usually boost Sony console exclusive meta scores are busy boosting the scores of another PS4 exclusive. There are also multi plats that score higher on consoles despite having a better version on PC and a lot of PC games dont get reviewed at all, because there is so many of them.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@pelvist said:
@GioVela2010 said:
@zaryia said:
@GioVela2010 said:

8 to 0

I mean, you were wrong on both accounts.

Most games look and run better on PC. not XB1X.

PC has the best library according to the 2 main sites we use here. Not PS4.

Explain why the game below should be counted towards PC’s AA games on Metacritic and not PS4’s

i don’t use flawed scoring methods

Probably because the dozen or so Sony websites and magazines that usually boost Sony console exclusive meta scores are busy boosting the scores of another PS4 exclusive. There are also multi plats that score higher on consoles despite having a better version on PC and a lot of PC games dont get reviewed at all, because there is so many of them.

He's an idiot.

1. PC has several unscored games at MC as well. PC has less padding too, resulting in lower average scores here. Nine of PS4s AAAs are AA on PC. PC technically has a huge lead in AAAs.

2. PC has countless unscored games at GR. PC has less padding too, resulting in lower average scores here. This is all exaggerated at GR, their system writes off most PC reviews. For this reason GR has never been accepted here.

3. The site were you don't have to worry about the above issues, GS, the very site we are posting on and which was officially used for SW from 2001-2013 has PC ahead by 70 games. Both AAA and AA.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@recloud: He’s not jankarkop or dynamitecop. This guy used to like Xbox. He’s probably an alt of -God- who was another annoying overzealous fanboy who did not have a PC.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ReCloud

@Juub1990: they're all the same person, I was told.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#111 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@recloud: He’s not jankarkop or dynamitecop. This guy used to like Xbox. He’s probably an alt of -God- who was another annoying overzealous fanboy who did not have a PC.

Oh yeah, him.

That was a good gimmick.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Juub1990
@recloud said:

@Juub1990: they're all the same person, I was told.

Doubt it. dynamitecop/NYDAC/jankarcop/Crash Bandicoot was fairly tame compared to Zariya/-God-. He was far more reasonable and could actually be talked to unlike full blown trolls like Zariya or Giovela.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
full blown trolls like Zariya or Giovela.

Say what you want about me (Mostly fiction but whatever), but no one can ever refute my data. I properly source and triple check. Several people in the political section thought I was a fraud for saying Russia interfered. But I had incredible sources and research, and they all ended up eating crow.

If I say PC is winning GS and MC, it's literally winning at those 2 sites. There are no two ways about it.

The only way to counter it is to make arbitrary rules (which can't be sourced/cited) or use another site (GR).

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

if HDR is important to you that much, then how about something advanced like RTX features?

They're exclusive to PC! Resident Evil 2 remake and more:

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ReCloud

@zaryia: but you still don't have a pc.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Juub1990

@koko-goal And be stuck at 40fps/1080p on a 1000$ card? No thanks.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@appariti0n: you literally took a game from 2004 and applied the logic to a game that released...today?

Are you fucking nuts?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@recloud: You're still obsessed with him

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#121 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

This is absurd

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56410 Posts

HDR is one of those things I simply just don't give a DAMN!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

I care about HDR about as much as Ray tracing at this point. Zero.

Ok, maybe an exaggeration. HDR does improve image quality somewhat, but I'm not willing to put up with 30 fps with dips in order to get it. bad tradeoff imo.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Note how its just the xbox gamers throwing around HDR... While PS4 gamers had HDR and games and couldn't give two s***s about HDR?... Games > Framerate > Art style & art direction > Panel type > 4K > Dedicated Subwoofer > HDR > the comfort level of your sofa/chair >Atmos, this is the where things fall in terms of impacting your gaming experience.

Also this is why your games run at 20-30FPS.

Console gamers care more about graphics than PC gamers, notice how the PC community is currently in a uproar about ray tracing and its performance impact?... Yeah if that was on a $600 console with games running at 20-30FPS at 640p users like Gio would be posting here 24/7 about how incredible it looks.

Alnd I would like to add I have a QLED TV HDR is not a big deal at all, don't fall for the hype guys you'll end up spending £2400 on a TV like I did with nothing but a meh on your face its almost as bad as 4K especially if you are streaming content.

The day that I increase my settings and get my framerate down to 30FPS is the day that I may as well be a casual gamer.

Anyone still playing games and watching movies on a 1080p SDR TV you are not missing out at all for games and especially movies, my 1080p projector is more enjoyable to watch a movie on than my 4K HDR tv and my brother C7 OLED is really not that far off from my QLED for movies either.

Also as for HDR gaming?... QLED still wins so don't let this Gio guy with his purchase justifying threads fool you, X1X is useless and HDR is not all that let alone Atmos.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

Atmos and HDR advocates are the same people who tell you that megapixels on a camera is more important than the sharpness of the lens or the people that tell you video resolution is more important than the buffer rate. Both technologies are just the cherry on top that offer little to no impact of the game what so ever, at lease ray tracing can improve gameplay with reflections and shadows for immersion but atmos and HDR jeez they are nothing but spinning rims.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Which Qled did you get? And do you use the 120 hz 1440p mode?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Well, I don't know about TVs... but this Samsung QLED monitor is at least twice as good as the LG monitor I was rocking. I can see so many things in the dark now that I couldn't see on the LG; it's actually helped me spot enemies in competitive FPS games. Also, being 34" vs 29" helps. Lol Oh, and the colors are that much more vivid in games.

I paid 700 for it, and I thought even that was a little much, but man, it's so much better than the 300 dollar LG I had.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#127 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

This thread is as stupid as when you once claimed that PC is inferior because it doesn't have vapor cooling, or blu-ray players.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts
@xhawk27 said:
@lemmingslayer said:

and PC has something the xbox doesn't - games.

Hahahaha if it wasn't for Phil you PC gamers would have a lot less games, including the best Racer this Gen.

PC ain't getting anything from Phil.

Recore? Flop

Killer Binstink? flop

Dud rising? flop

Six of thieves? Mega flop

5tate of decay 2? disaster

Quantum break? calamity

Ryse? abomination.

Nobody cares about any of these craptastic games aside from lemmings and that's only because they have nothing else. Don't act like Phil is 'giving' anyone anything of note because nobody is buying or playing this tacky garbage.

The one game you can say is Forza......a generic racing game. Yawn.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
@lemmingslayer said:
@xhawk27 said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Hahahaha if it wasn't for Phil you PC gamers would have a lot less games, including the best Racer this Gen.

Recore? Flop

Killer Binstink? flop

Dud rising? flop

Quantum break? calamity

Ryse? abomination.

Nobody cares about any of these craptastic games aside from lemmings and that's only because they have nothing else. Don't act like Phil is 'giving' anyone anything of note because nobody is buying or playing this tacky garbage.

I only have to say, that as much as MS has been putting out crap this gen, you obviously haven't played any of these. Although, Recore does suck; we can agree on that one.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@appariti0n:

Q8FN the 55" model. Its a great TV absolutely stunning but HDR is not night and day impressive especially for gaming.

I think people get confused especially OLED where they confuse the panels attributes like contrast and black levels with the HDR capabilities and in general image quality... I tested this watching Ozark through my PC which is SDR and then watching it through the TV's netflix app, a lot of the wow factor from these modern TV's has nothing to do with the actual HDR quality of the TV's, and playing Forza 7 in HDR on and off... turning hdr off after 5 minutes you forget what the difference was.

People acting like its night and day need to chill especially when it comes to gaming there are far more impotant factors that make a much bigger impact like frame rate, input lag, refresh rates, gsynce/freesync and so on and HDR.

The panel quality is far more important, OLED/QLED is where its at right now but not because of HDR... HDR is meh, the general image quality from OLED and QLED is 95% of the wow factor, its not that hard to test. HDR is meh for movies and for gaming, its not bad but there are FAR more important things, for example I forgo HDR on my TV and 4K just so I can play at 120Hz with keyboard and mouse playing games like the division looks stunning and most importantly feels good due to the response time and refresh rate.

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Alessandro_R
Member since 2013 • 54 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Note how its just the xbox gamers throwing around HDR... While PS4 gamers had HDR and games and couldn't give two s***s about HDR?... Games > Framerate > Art style & art direction > Panel type > 4K > Dedicated Subwoofer > HDR > the comfort level of your sofa/chair >Atmos, this is the where things fall in terms of impacting your gaming experience.

Console gamers care more about graphics than PC gamers, notice how the PC community is currently in a uproar about ray tracing and its performance impact?... Yeah if that was on a $600 console with games running at 20-30FPS at 640p users like Gio would be posting here 24/7 about how incredible it looks.

Alnd I would like to add I have a QLED TV HDR is not a big deal at all, don't fall for the hype guys you'll end up spending £2400 on a TV like I did with nothing but a meh on your face its almost as bad as 4K especially if you are streaming content.

The day that I increase my settings and get my framerate down to 30FPS is the day that I may as well be a casual gamer.

Anyone still playing games and watching movies on a 1080p SDR TV you are not missing out at all for games and especially movies, my 1080p projector is more enjoyable to watch a movie on than my 4K HDR tv and my brother C7 OLED is really not that far off from my QLED for movies either.

Also as for HDR gaming?... QLED still wins so don't let this Gio guy with his purchase justifying threads fool you, X1X is useless and HDR is not all that let alone Atmos.

Atmos and HDR advocates are the same people who tell you that megapixels on a camera is more important than the sharpness of the lens or the people that tell you video resolution is more important than the buffer rate. Both technologies are just the cherry on top that offer little to no impact of the game what so ever, at lease ray tracing can improve gameplay with reflections and shadows for immersion but atmos and HDR jeez they are nothing but spinning rims.

The only reason that one LED wins “HDR Gaming” by .1 is because of the Input Lag scores.

For pure HDR image quality wow factor OLED stillnwins of course

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The only reason that one LED wins “HDR Gaming” by .1 is because of the Input Lag scores.

You are missing the point completely.

It wins for gaming and HDR gaming there are two categories and it wins because of the peak brightness being 2x as high.

Also another way you are missing the point is that you like many others aren't judging the HDR capabilites of the display but rather the perfect blacks and contrast of OLED, which I am not arguing OLED is incredible and that is why people are impressed its not because of HDR of that panel that is making people drop their jaw.

I will give you a analogy its like your judging the sound of a 2:1 system specifically measure what has the best High but your completely flawed by the bass that you are struggle to focus on the highs and your opinion is being skewed because your are not being objective and focusing purely on the highs, same thing is happening to consumers with when viewing HDR on OLED you focus on the deep blacks and contrast that you fail to see that the peak brightness is not that impressive and in many cases struggles to give the punch that QLED's have during well lit scenes.

Also if it wins because of input lag by 0.1 what does that say to you?... HDR for gaming like I pretty much said in every way conceivable isn't the most import thing at all.

OLED is also best for Movies because of the blacks and contrast its HDR... Well not just OLED HDR capabilities in movies but in general movies need to be filmed and mastered specifically for HDR and even then the ones that are mastered to 4000 nits which we are not even close to reaching yet thus you are not and no one is getting the true HDR experience that they want its why their are so many caveats regarding TV's for HDR and the panels used.

TLDR: HDR = Meh, but OLED is great and QLED with full array local dimming is the best compromise you can get for HDR gaming until OLED catches up with its peak brightness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@lemmingslayer said:
@xhawk27 said:
@lemmingslayer said:

Recore? Flop

Killer Binstink? flop

Dud rising? flop

Quantum break? calamity

Ryse? abomination.

I only have to say, that as much as MS has been putting out crap this gen, you obviously haven't played any of these. Although, Recore does suck; we can agree on that one.

I played Killer Instinct actually. 7/10 was the lowest I would go, also nostalgia.

I haven't played the rest you're right because I simply have too many good games on my SONY PLAYSTATION® 4 entertainment system to be wasting my time playing 6/10, 5/10 and 4/10 garbage. However I can understand how due to severe droughts you lemmings have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find games to play.

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Alessandro_R

If Peak

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

You are missing the point completely.

It wins for gaming and HDR gaming there are two categories and it wins because of the peak brightness being 2x as high.

Also another way you are missing the point is that you like many others aren't judging the HDR capabilites of the display but rather the perfect blacks and contrast of OLED, which I am not arguing OLED is incredible and that is why people are impressed its not because of HDR of that panel that is making people drop their jaw.

I will give you a analogy its like your judging the sound of a 2:1 system specifically measure what has the best High but your completely flawed by the bass that you are struggle to focus on the highs and your opinion is being skewed because your are not being objective and focusing purely on the highs, same thing is happening to consumers with when viewing HDR on OLED you focus on the deep blacks and contrast that you fail to see that the peak brightness is not that impressive and in many cases struggles to give the punch that QLED's have during well lit scenes.

Also if it wins because of input lag by 0.1 what does that say to you?... HDR for gaming like I pretty much said in every way conceivable isn't the most import thing at all.

OLED is also best for Movies because of the blacks and contrast its HDR... Well not just OLED HDR capabilities in movies but in general movies need to be filmed and mastered specifically for HDR and even then the ones that are mastered to 4000 nits which we are not even close to reaching yet thus you are not and no one is getting the true HDR experience that they want its why their are so many caveats regarding TV's for HDR and the panels used.

TLDR: HDR = Meh, but OLED is great and QLED with full array local dimming is the best compromise you can get for HDR gaming until OLED catches up with its peak brightness.

It doesn’t win the HDR Gaming category because of Peak Brightness, Peak Brightness accounts for 3% of the “HDR Gaming” Score

That Vizio QLED (Not Samsung) wins the HDR Gaming category because of better 4k HDR 60hz Input lag.

If Peak Brightness was as important as your saying than the Vizio would also win the “HDR Movies” category, especially since movie content is more likely to be mastered for the higher Brightness than video games

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Alessandro_R:

Score components:

HDR Gaming:

• 25% 4k @ 60Hz + HDR
  • 15% Response Time
  • 8% Contrast
  • 7% Color Gamut
  • 7% Color Volume
  • 5% Local Dimming
  • 4% 1080p Input
  • 4% 4k Input
  • 4% Black Uniformity
  • 3% HDR ABL
  • 3% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 3% Black Frame Insertion (BFI)
  • 2% Gray Uniformity
  • 2% Gradient
  • 1% Reflections
  • 1% Variable Refresh Rate
  • 1% HDR10
  • 1% Dolby Vision
  • 1% Sound Quality
  • <1% Permanent Burn-In Risk
  • <1% Flicker-Free
  • <1% Pre Calibration
  • <1% Temporary Image Retention
  • <1% Post Calibration

HDR Movies:

• 22% Contrast
  • 13% Local Dimming
  • 12% 4k Input
  • 11% Black Uniformity
  • 6% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 6% Color Gamut
  • 6% Color Volume
  • 5% Gray Uniformity
  • 4% Stutter
  • 4% 24p Judder
  • 2% HDR ABL
  • 2% Motion Interpolation
  • 2% Pre Calibration
  • 2% Gradient
  • 1% Post Calibration
  • <1% HDR10
  • <1% Dolby Vision

Yes that is how they score it by looking at the overall experience for that category they are not measuring the actual HDR part of image.

Objectively the only way to judge HDR capabilities is to look at the individual scores for peak brightness and colour gamut which are the two key components to measuring HDR otherwise you are just measuring the panel type.

C8:

• Color Gamut: 8.5
  • Color Volume: 7.0
  • HDR Peak brightness: 7.7

Vizio P:

• Color Gamut: 8.8
  • Color Volume: 8.1
  • HDR Peak brightness: 9.2

What skews results is contrast due to the nature of OLED it gives the impression of better dynamic range but its severally bottle-necked by the peak brightness and color volume and vice versa QLED is severely bottle-necking its HDR capability due to the nature of the technology but QLED if the screen is big enough and it has enough local dimming zones and a high peak brightness pretty much removes most of the technological drawbacks of the technology and gives that superior HDR experience.

Its a old TV but the ZD9 100" is a good example of that:

Loading Video...

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Alessandro_R

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Alessandro_R:

Score components:

HDR Gaming:

• 25% 4k @ 60Hz + HDR
  • 15% Response Time
  • 8% Contrast
  • 7% Color Gamut
  • 7% Color Volume
  • 5% Local Dimming
  • 4% 1080p Input
  • 4% 4k Input
  • 4% Black Uniformity
  • 3% HDR ABL
  • 3% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 3% Black Frame Insertion (BFI)
  • 2% Gray Uniformity
  • 2% Gradient
  • 1% Reflections
  • 1% Variable Refresh Rate
  • 1% HDR10
  • 1% Dolby Vision
  • 1% Sound Quality
  • <1% Permanent Burn-In Risk
  • <1% Flicker-Free
  • <1% Pre Calibration
  • <1% Temporary Image Retention
  • <1% Post Calibration

HDR Movies:

• 22% Contrast
  • 13% Local Dimming
  • 12% 4k Input
  • 11% Black Uniformity
  • 6% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 6% Color Gamut
  • 6% Color Volume
  • 5% Gray Uniformity
  • 4% Stutter
  • 4% 24p Judder
  • 2% HDR ABL
  • 2% Motion Interpolation
  • 2% Pre Calibration
  • 2% Gradient
  • 1% Post Calibration
  • <1% HDR10
  • <1% Dolby Vision

Yes that is how they score it by looking at the overall experience for that category they are not measuring the actual HDR part of image.

Objectively the only way to judge HDR capabilities is to look at the individual scores for peak brightness and colour gamut which are the two key components to measuring HDR otherwise you are just measuring the panel type.

C8:

Vizio P:

What skews results is contrast due to the nature of OLED it gives the impression of better dynamic range but its severally bottle-necked by the peak brightness and color volume and vice versa QLED is severely bottle-necking its HDR capability due to the nature of the technology but QLED if the screen is big enough and it has enough local dimming zones and a high peak brightness pretty much removes most of the technological drawbacks of the technology and gives that superior HDR experience.

Its a old TV but the ZD9 100" is a good example of that:

Loading Video...

if they give contrast 22% importance for HDR movies than it’s obvious they feel contrast is the most important aspect to HDR picture quality

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Alessandro_R:

They prioritise different aspects of the image for HDR gaming vs HDR movies?... Yes, its because they are not measuring JUST the HDR capabilities they are purely measuring the overall experience of the panel ALONG with the HDR capabilities of the panel for that use which is also why the have a "Dark room alternative" because the contrast is more noticeable in a dark room and the peak brightness is less of a issue.

Actual HDR is measured by the peak brightness and the contrast between that and the deepest blacks and then the colour volume along with gamut is increased it is literally what HDR is, contrast alone means nothing if the peak brigtness isn't there.

I guess where I am going with this is until LED panels start to use 1,000+ dimming zones or OLED start to push 1000+ nits peak brightness their will always be a caveat and reviews have no choice but to skew their results in "hdr" scorings simply because both technologies offer one half of the requirements for a true HDR experience.

Its the waiting game but HDR as of right now is not superior on OLED but that doesn't mean its better on QLED because HDR is meh right now.

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Alessandro_R

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Alessandro_R:

They prioritise different aspects of the image for HDR gaming vs HDR movies?... Yes, its because they are not measuring JUST the HDR capabilities they are purely measuring the overall experience of the panel ALONG with the HDR capabilities of the panel for that use which is also why the have a "Dark room alternative" because the contrast is more noticeable in a dark room and the peak brightness is less of a issue.

Actual HDR is measured by the peak brightness and the contrast between that and the deepest blacks and then the colour volume along with gamut is increased it is literally what HDR is, contrast alone means nothing if the peak brigtness isn't there.

I guess where I am going with this is until LED panels start to use 1,000+ dimming zones or OLED start to push 1000+ nits peak brightness their will always be a caveat and reviews have no choice but to skew their results in "hdr" scorings simply because both technologies over one half of the requirements for a true HDR experience.

Its the waiting game but HDR as of right now is not superior on OLED but that doesn't mean its better on QLED because HDR is meh right now.

“Actual HDR is measured by Peak Brightness and the contrast between that and the deepest blacks”

That‘s your quote, and that’s precisely why OLED is still perceived as the best technology for HDR In blind testing.

The fact that these newest QLED’s have about 50-60% higher Real Scene Peak Brightness than OLED is superseded by the fact that OLED’s can do blacks infinitely darker.

In other words the “RANGE” between OLeDS deepest blacks and peAk Brightness is greater than that of QLED

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Alessandro_R:

I guess where I am going with this is until LED panels start to use 1,000+ dimming zones or OLED start to push 1000+ nits peak brightness their will always be a caveat and reviews have no choice but to skew their results in "hdr" scorings simply because both technologies over one half of the requirements for a true HDR experience.

“Actual HDR is measured by Peak Brightness and the contrast between that and the deepest blacks”

That‘s your quote, and that’s precisely why OLED is still perceived as the best technology for HDR In blind testing.

The fact that these newest QLED’s have about 50-60% higher Real Scene Peak Brightness than OLED is superseded by the fact that OLED’s can do blacks infinitely darker.

In other words the “RANGE” between OLeDS deepest blacks and peAk Brightness is greater than that of QLED

Ugh... You are one of those.

The peak brightness increases the color volume its the third leg of HDR:

C8:

Vizio P:

So not only will the peak brightness be better in HDR scenes but the color will be better on a QLED.

HDR is not just contrast, there are MANY many caveats because no one technology gives the ultimate experience how are you not understanding something that all reviewers state clear as day and score clear as day?

You know those slides showing what HDR is?... Notice how the color gets more vibrant and the bright parts get brighter?... Well along with the contrast of the panel HDR is measured by the other two things.

OLED:

• Contrast

QLED:

• Peak brightness
  • Color volume

I can't explain it better than this, neither of the two technologies offer the best HDR experience because HDR requirements are not being met fully by either panel technologies and by nature might never do so and micro led might end up replacing them both.

Now would also go into tonal mapping for HDR and perceived contrast but I am afraid I would lose you. That and you seem to cherry pic parts of sentences to skew the conversation so it would be absolutely futile on my part to even attempt it.

And with blind testing they are not measuring the actual HDR part of the image they are just looking at the picture which I am not arguing it will look better but not because of the capabilities of HDR that the panel can out put, its why during HDR stress testing OLED panels crush blacks and lack the color volume along peak brightness compared to QLED's with full array local dimming but QLED comes with its own draw backs and HDR caveats.

TLDR: Caveats and contrast doesn't equal HDR or better HDR it just means better overall image its why in SDR oled wins by default but in HDR its closer than you think.

Also im out I have a family to pay attention to. Enjoy your evening.

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Alessandro_R

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Alessandro_R:

C8:

Vizio P:

So not only will the peak brightness be better in HDR scenes but the color will be better on a QLED.

HDR is not just contrast, there are MANY many caveats because no one technology gives the ultimate experience how are you not understanding something that all reviewers state clear as day and score clear as day?

You know those slides showing what HDR is?... Notice how the color gets more vibrant and the bright parts get brighter?... Well along with the contrast of the panel HDR is measured by the other two things.

OLED:

• Contrast

QLED:

• Peak brightness
  • Color volume

I can't explain it better than this, neither of the two technologies offer the best HDR experience because HDR requirements are not being met fully by either panel technologies and by nature might never do so and micro led might end up replacing them both.

Now would also go into tonal mapping for HDR and perceived contrast but I am afraid I would lose you. That and you seem to cherry pic parts of sentences to skew the conversation so it would be absolutely futile on my part to even attempt it.

And with blind testing they are not measuring the actual HDR part of the image they are just looking at the picture which I am not arguing it will look better but not because of the capabilities of HDR that the panel can out put, its why during HDR stress testing OLED panels crush blacks and lack the color volume along peak brightness compared to QLED's with full array local dimming but QLED comes with its own draw backs and HDR caveats.

TLDR: Caveats and contrast doesn't equal HDR or better HDR it just means better overall image its why in SDR oled wins by default but in HDR its closer than you think.

Color Volume, HDR Peak Brightness, And Color Gamut account for 17% of the HDR Movie score. (Where QLED Wins)

Contrast, Local Dimmimg, Black Uniformity, And Grey Uniformity account for 51% of the HDR movies score (Where OLED wins)

HDR Movies:

• 22% Contrast
  • 13% Local Dimming
  • 12% 4k Input
  • 11% Black Uniformity
  • 6% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 6% Color Gamut
  • 6% Color Volume
  • 5% Gray Uniformity

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

HDR means nothing if you dont have ATMOS, and or ATMOS means nothing if you dont have HDR.

What does one have to do with the other? I do wish games had Atmos.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Alessandro_R:

C8:

Vizio P:

OLED:

• Contrast

QLED:

• Peak brightness
  • Color volume

Color Volume, HDR Peak Brightness, And Color Gamut account for 17% of the HDR Movie score. (Where QLED Wins)

Contrast, Local Dimmimg, Black Uniformity, And Grey Uniformity account for 51% of the HDR movies score (Where OLED wins)

HDR Movies:

• 22% Contrast
  • 13% Local Dimming
  • 12% 4k Input
  • 11% Black Uniformity
  • 6% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 6% Color Gamut
  • 6% Color Volume
  • 5% Gray Uniformity

Again they are measuring overall image quality they are not specifically measuring the capabilities of the panels HDR.

4K input is 12% of the image quality in terms of score yet has no impact on HDR.

How are you not understanding the difference between judging something for a purpose vs objectively measuring performance?... That is what they are doing with overall scoring vs in depth measurements in their sub categories, the arbitrary scoring system they created is just that a creation out of thin air the actual measurements are what matters you know the scientific approach rather than "I think this should be 22% just because".

I don't see this going anywhere, enjoy your evening.

Alessandro_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Alessandro_R

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Alessandro_R said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@Alessandro_R:

C8:

Vizio P:

OLED:

• Contrast

QLED:

• Peak brightness
  • Color volume

HDR Movies:

• 22% Contrast
  • 13% Local Dimming
  • 12% 4k Input
  • 11% Black Uniformity
  • 6% HDR Peak Brightness
  • 6% Color Gamut
  • 6% Color Volume
  • 5% Gray Uniformity

Again they are measuring overall image quality they are not specifically measuring the capabilities of the panels HDR.

4K input is 12% of the image quality in terms of score yet has no impact on HDR.

How are you not understanding the difference between judging something for a purpose vs objectively measuring performance?... That is what they are doing with overall scoring vs in depth measurements in their sub categories, the arbitrary scoring system they created is just that a creation out of thin air the actual measurements are what matters you know the scientific approach rather than "I think this should be 22% just because".

I don't see this going anywhere, enjoy your evening.

wow it’s really bothering you that rtings.com perceives contrast to be 4 times more important than Peak Brightness regarding their HDR Scoring

The 7 Best 4k HDR TVs - September 2018: Reviews - RTINGS.com