The Evil Within shipped with below 20fps on consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Eurogamer exposes the impotence of developers who ride on their past fame. I truly feel sorry for guys who bought it but don't have the internet connection. Someone will say: but the day one patch fixed all that...But which developer would think it's acceptable to let a game go Gold with dips as low as 15fps?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-prepatch-evil-within-we-hope-you-will-never-play

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The gameplay is terrific

most of the tech issues with that game come down to id-tech 5, what a shit engine.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Consoles are just weak sauce and the game flopped...

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Eurogamer exposes the impotence of developers who ride on their past fame. I truly feel sorry for guys who bought it but don't have the internet connection. Someone will say: but the day one patch fixed all that...But which developer would think it's acceptable to let a game go Gold with dips as low as 15fps?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-prepatch-evil-within-we-hope-you-will-never-play

I can answer that!!!

Rockstar. Sure GTA V was somewhat fun....BUT HOLLY SHIT WAS THAT GAME UGLY.

Aside from the jaggies in the city....the game went down to at least 15fps on my PS3. Holy shit it really made me not able to fully enjoy that game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

From Software did this as well. And then theres the Obvious Bethesda.... Oh and Team Ninja did it too with one or 2 of the Ninja Gaiden Games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Shame about the tech hurdles, but that's to be expected from a new studio with limited resources.

Conceptually though, that's where Mikami shines as a director.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

Would you say he shone in Shadows of the Damned, though?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Producer, Director was Massimo Gaurini or whatever.

Shooting mechanics in that game were solid, really good even. Awesome head shots, fun guns with a solid upgrade system, and Garcia Fucking Hotspur and Johnson were fun times. The other stuff? blaming that on that scrub suda 51.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salt_The_Fries

Shadows of the Damned has been rather underwhelming up until halfway through and then it picked up even more steam towards the final third, a shame it wasn't that good from the beginning. BTW I loved "BIG BONER" level :D Didn't you?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Shadows of the Damned has been rather underwhelming up until halfway through and then it picked up even more steam towards the final third, a shame it wasn't that good from the beginning. BTW I loved "BIG BONER" level :D Didn't you?

It was atrocious. It was funny if they made that joke once, but for all 40-50 shots is like okay, i get it, it's a dick joke.

The story books are better, and the core moment to moment action is fine. That games problem is any attempt at variety, sucks. Those sidescrolling segments are butthole.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Salt_The_Fries

They reminded me of Alice Madness Returns, now that was a great underrated game which had tons of variety. I love Alice, she was so cute, especially when not in Wonderland.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp

American McGee's Alice is the shit.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I firmly believe that a game should be safe from this sort of criticism as long as they have a day one patch ready.

The no internet connection complaint is stupid. 95% of PS4s are connected to the internet. I'm sure that percentage is similar for Xbox as well. It's not like not having an internet connection prevents you from getting the patch. If you are in the largely small minority, you can always take your PS4 to a place that has internet (like a friend's house) and get the patch that way.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Consoles are just weak sauce and the game flopped...

except that the game runs bad even on PC.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts
Loading Video...

Damn PC gamers taking away cinematics from games!!! Everyone knows the lower the frames the more cinematic it is.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@bldgirsh said:
Loading Video...

Damn PC gamers taking away cinematics from games!!! Everyone knows the lower the frames the more cinematic it is.

Thank goodness for the PC,the vanilla version of this game looks terrible in comparison,terrible fov and man those black bars were a bad idea.
It would really suck to be stuck with only the option to play the console version.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Mikami didn't direct that, you are confusing producers with directors.

Massimo Guarini deserves credit for directing Shadows, good or bad.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5816 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

I firmly believe that a game should be safe from this sort of criticism as long as they have a day one patch ready.

The no internet connection complaint is stupid. 95% of PS4s are connected to the internet. I'm sure that percentage is similar for Xbox as well. It's not like not having an internet connection prevents you from getting the patch. If you are in the largely small minority, you can always take your PS4 to a place that has internet (like a friend's house) and get the patch that way.

If nearly all consoles are connected to the internet and more and more games a requiring day one updates, Microsoft plans of an always connected console wasn't too far away.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

If nearly all consoles are connected to the internet and more and more games a requiring day one updates, Microsoft plans of an always connected console wasn't too far away.

Well, I think requiring people to be ALWAYS online is a different story. I think most people should be able to connect to the internet and download updates and software.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

It's NONETHELESS his name THAT SOLD THE GAME, and it wasn't a typical producer's job either, he was involved there from the creative side of things too so he had some input in it, however he wasn't fond of working on that game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

It's NONETHELESS his name THAT SOLD THE GAME, and it wasn't a typical producer's job either, he was involved there from the creative side of things too so he had some input in it, however he wasn't fond of working on that game.

Who's TALKING ABOUT SALES? I never was and it's pretty random to bring that up.

None of that is related to MY POINT, although I'm aware of that information. I'm also aware that tomorrow I have to go shopping and check the mail. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, but since we are talking about random things, I figured I would pitch in.

It's typical to slap producers onto products to sell movies (Bruckheimer), TV Shows (Spielberg), and of course video-games (Mikami). That's standard practice to sell merch, but the brightest and best look beyond such marketing tactics.

I was never talking about sales or the role of a typical producer. It seems to me you mentioned those tidbits to deflect your mistake for assuming Mikami directed 2011's Shadows? It's not big deal, most people don't pay attention to directors of games or even development studios for that matter. Most people just buy franchise game after franchise game blindly. To each their own. I follow movie directors, book authors, game developers, music artists, and I have been rewarded for my research.

Mikami directed The Evil Within which is what this thread is about as you know you created it. I was talking about Mikami's work directing, and you (confused?) mentioned a Massimo Guarini directed game that Mikami didn't direct, but he did co-produce. Mikami produced a lot of titles, like Kojima, Miyamoto, and many others, but that's neither here nor there. I then bring up that you confused producer with a director, and then you bring up sales of the game. It's true, these developers can get involved with many games like producing various other titles, but it's all in the fine print. Who gets the credit for the final game? Look to the director and his team. Furthermore, Suda 51's name was also used to sell the game and he was a co-producer, so what. I'm not talking about sales or producers, especially for a game that sold so poorly in the first place. I merely mentioned a director's name.

Back to my original point:

It's a Shame about the tech hurdles this game suffers from, but that's to be expected from a new studio with limited resources.

Conceptually though, that's where Mikami shines as a director. Hopefully if there is a next time and if he directs he can improve upon the foundation he created with The Evil Within. The funny thing about all of this is I'm not even a big Mikami fan, but I happen to know this stuff as he is hit or miss with me.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52418 Posts

Patch fixes it. And what game doesn't ship with a day one patch these days?

Doomguyclon-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Doomguyclon-
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

freedomfreak (not hardcore freedomfreelife) cutie pie. nothing can fix it because its crap like resident evil 4 was. fake horror game with fake scares

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@doomguyclon- said:

@freedomfreak said:

freedomfreak (not hardcore freedomfreelife) cutie pie. nothing can fix it because its crap like resident evil 4 was. fake horror game with fake scares

stop it sniper just meh channa saga sniper

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

None of that is related to MY POINT, although I'm aware of that information. I'm also aware that tomorrow I have to go shopping and check the mail. I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread, but since we are talking about random things, I figured I would pitch in.

It's typical to slap producers onto products to sell movies (Bruckheimer), TV Shows (Spielberg), and of course video-games (Mikami). That's standard practice to sell merch, but the brightest and best look beyond such marketing tactics.

I was never talking about sales or the role of a typical producer. It seems to me you mentioned those tidbits to deflect your mistake for assuming Mikami directed 2011's Shadows? It's not big deal, most people don't pay attention to directors of games or even development studios for that matter. Most people just buy franchise game after franchise game blindly. To each their own. I follow movie directors, book authors, game developers, music artists, and I have been rewarded for my research.

Mikami directed The Evil Within which is what this thread is about as you know you created it. I was talking about Mikami's work directing, and you (confused?) mentioned a Massimo Guarini directed game that Mikami didn't direct, but he did co-produce. Mikami produced a lot of titles, like Kojima, Miyamoto, and many others, but that's neither here nor there. I then bring up that you confused producer with a director, and then you bring up sales of the game. It's true, these developers can get involved with many games like producing various other titles, but it's all in the fine print. Who gets the credit for the final game? Look to the director and his team. Furthermore, Suda 51's name was also used to sell the game and he was a co-producer, so what. I'm not talking about sales or producers, especially for a game that sold so poorly in the first place. I merely mentioned a director's name.

It's a Shame about the tech hurdles this game suffers from, but that's to be expected from a new studio with limited resources.

Conceptually though, that's where Mikami shines as a director. Hopefully if there is a next time and if he directs he can improve upon the foundation he created with The Evil Within. The funny thing about all of this is I'm not even a big Mikami fan, but I happen to know this stuff as he is hit or miss with me.

Not "sold" the game in literal sense, silly :)

Anyway, my point was that going by the notion of "producer", in fact Mikami is credited not as "executive producer" like Suda, nor just "producer", he's a "creative producer", so you don't know for sure how big of a function it is under THIS UMBRELLA TERM. Generally a proper producer label is not just some "executive producer" tag used to boost the hype of a project by attaching some well-known name, it is a proper job, which requires overseeing and agreeing on all aspects of the production, and producers often have a lot to say these days, video games or films notwithstanding, especially when the auteur period of New Hollywood vanished completely - that is when the directors had their final say on everything in the making of films. I was well aware the game was collaborative process to begin with BUT YOU CANNOT SAY HOW MUCH OR HOW LITTLE EACH OF THE MAIN PEOPLE INVOLVED HAD. There are some cases in the movie industry when a director was credited with making the film BUT IN FACT HE DIDN'T DIRECT IT, someone else did it, just like The Thing from Outer Space or Poltergeist. ANyway, I'm not saying it is the case here, but I'm saying that Mikami had some creative power behind it, especially when he was credited as "creative producer" and "executive producer" like Suda.

Of course I was mistaken for thinking Mikami was credited as a "director" - point conceded. NOT DENYING IT. But my point still stands.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Not "sold" the game in literal sense, silly :)

Anyway, my point was that going by the notion of "producer", in fact Mikami is credited not as "executive producer" like Suda, nor just "producer", he's a "creative producer", so you don't know for sure how big of a function it is under THIS UMBRELLA TERM. Generally a proper producer label is not just some "executive producer" tag used to boost the hype of a project by attaching some well-known name, it is a proper job, which requires overseeing and agreeing on all aspects of the production, and producers often have a lot to say these days, video games or films notwithstanding, especially when the auteur period of New Hollywood vanished completely - that is when the directors had their final say on everything in the making of films. I was well aware the game was collaborative process to begin with BUT YOU CANNOT SAY HOW MUCH OR HOW LITTLE EACH OF THE MAIN PEOPLE INVOLVED HAD. There are some cases in the movie industry when a director was credited with making the film BUT IN FACT HE DIDN'T DIRECT IT, someone else did it, just like The Thing from Outer Space or Poltergeist. ANyway, I'm not saying it is the case here, but I'm saying that Mikami had some creative power behind it, especially when he was credited as "creative producer" and "executive producer" like Suda.

Of course I was mistaken for thinking Mikami was credited as a "director" - point conceded. NOT DENYING IT. But my point still stands.

I threw in A FEW CAPITALIZED words for fun to MATCH the tone. haha.

I wish I cared more about Mikami to go on, but I can't summon a care in this late hour. I'll reference my first post as my point still stands as well.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Japanese devs can't develop for shit

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts