The 5 Worst Things About Gamestop (ROFL sooo true)

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts

http://www.myarcadeplanet.com/article-323-The-5-Worst-Things-About-Gamestop.html

Let's face it; Gamestop has become a necessary evil nowadays. The mom and pop gaming joints have been crushed under the corporate boots of Gamestop and Blockbuster. Gamestop has essentially monopolized the used game trade, and gamers have little other choice but to bow down to the corporate altar. Whenever the suits get involved, you can expect a shiny but soulless experience. Here is a rundown of the 5 most annoying things gamers deal with every time they visit their local Gamestop.

Idiot Employees
Obviously, $5.75 an hour just doesn't get you as much as it used to back in the good old days. When they aren't trying to cram a pre-order down your throat, these Walmart rejects provide little assistance in actually finding games. In a recent trip to find a lesser known Gamecube title called "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem," my query about the game to the Gamestop employee was met with "Why do you want a Gamecube game?" Apparently, it was unbelievable to this emo haircut wearing, acne riddled superstar employee why anyone would want a game that wasn't a new release. Don't even ask me how many times I had to spell "Requiem" for him.

Mandatory "Sups"
Despite being deficient in intelligence and motivation, Gamestop employees aren't annoying all by themselves. They have plenty of help from the Armani suit wearing douchebags in corporate. Gamestop employees don't say hello to you when you walk in the store because they are nice guys. The mandatory greetings are obviously corporate policy. I have been greeted with everything from "Sup bro" to the infamous "Yo dog." Forcing me into awkward conversation isn't going to make me buy more games. I don't want to give "dap" or chest bump anyone just to get in the store. Just let me buy my games in peace...bro.

The "Pokemon Kid"

If you have been to a Gamestop in the past decade, you have undoubtedly encountered this kid. The "Pokemon Kid" is famous for making the Gamestop employee pull every Pokemon game released for all platforms (all 3,485 of them) and asking hard-hitting questions like "Is this game fun?" Let me take a quick moment to clear this up for the kid. The new Pokemon game is about as moderately fun as the past 100 were. They crank essentially the same game over and over because they know you want to get your grubby, marker stained little hands on everything Pokemon related. This isn't just specific to Pokemon franchise, all anime related games are equally at fault here. If you have ever been behind the "Pokemon Kid" in line, you know that you are in for at least a 5 minute negotiation between the kid and his mom on exactly what he can buy and how he has to eat his vegetables if he wants to play the game.

Used Games for $54.99
The 5 bucks off phenomenon usually applies to the anticipated titles that have been traded-in within around a month of the original release date. I understand the game is still technically a "new" release and it isn't Gamestop's fault some moron decided to trade in Halo 3 because he needed crack money, but it is still a used game. Gamers know that nothing devalues faster than video games. Upon leaving Gamestop, your new game is worth roughly half of what you paid for it. How is it possible then for a used game to be sold at 500 pennies less than a new copy? The answer: it's just how "the man" rolls. For my money, I will pay the extra 5 bucks so I don't have to deal with a scratched up game and booklet pages stuck together by a mystery substance.

The "Comment Guy"
These guys only crawl from their mom's basements to travel two places: Taco Bell and Gamestop. You can recognize him by his muffin top appearance and generally pasty skin. This is the guy that just can't resist making a comment on every game that people are looking at in the store. His comments range from supportive to condescending, but they are always irritating. The "comment guy" will stand next to you in an aisle while you are holding a title and say things like "That's a great game." or "The first one was better." These unsolicited comments can even venture off to his Halo multiplayer stories or the dreaded "achievement stories." Pretending that he works for Game Informer, the "comment guy" can always be counted on to give a synopsis of any title, as well as, his personal idiotic impressions. The "comment guy" can usually be found standing by the checkout line. He technically isn't in line because he is unemployed and his mom wouldn't give him twenty bucks, but his strategic "by the line" position gives him the best vantage point to comment on everyone's purchase and chat up the blankly staring Gamestop employees.

It is not humanly possible to list all of the annoying aspects about Gamestop, and this list is far from complete. The list would have been longer except I have to go trade in some games. What makes your list?

TC comment-I would also like to add the fact they they sometimes sell opened games as "new" and full price, they did that with me when I bought GOW2 and didn't notice when I got home, it was also headlined on some gameing websites

Avatar image for InfinityTomorro
InfinityTomorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 InfinityTomorro
Member since 2004 • 871 Posts

haha good read. I totally agree but there needs to be a revision of the Pokemon Kid.

That loser who stalks the store.

This one overstays his welcome. He walks around and looks at games he doesn't plan on buying for an hour. He will ask the employee stupid questions about Pokemon and Command and Conquer and other game you will never care about but he thinks is the greatest game ever. He is convival; he will easily get into arguments with other gamers on how Final Fantasy is better/worse than Dragon Quest. He will scour and misorder the bargain rack. He will occupy the demo consoles all day playing the Armored Core 4 demo over and over and over. Then maybe he will leave the store not saying a word after 3 hours.

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mad_Rhetoric

haha good read. I totally agree but there needs to be a revision of the Pokemon Kid.

That loser who stalks the store.

This one overstays his welcome. He walks around and looks at games he doesn't plan on buying for an hour. He will ask the employee stupid questions about Pokemon and Command and Conquer and other game you will never care about but he thinks is the greatest game ever. He is convival; he will easily get into arguments with other gamers on how Final Fantasy is better/worse than Dragon Quest. He will scour and misorder the bargain rack. He will occupy the demo consoles all day playing the Armored Core 4 demo over and over and over. Then maybe he will leave the store not saying a word after 3 hours.

InfinityTomorro

:lol:

they need to add that

xflamedemonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 xflamedemonx
Member since 2007 • 424 Posts

The only problem i have is that you should be abled to return a new game in atleast 3 days if u dont like it but it has to be in perfect condition

and i thought when they took the cartridge,umd, or disc out of the shelf and put it in the case it was security reasons

atleast thats what one of the guys told me

and theressome guys that toldme al the info i needed on the game without advertising

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Oh I've meant the comment guy. Once a long time ago I was standing in line with my copy of Metroid Prime 2 and and a new Xbox controller behind some old lady(who was arguing with the employee) when I hear a fat man next to me say You can't play Echoes on the Xbox. I said I know. He then asked why I was buying both. I told him the xbox controller was to play split screen multiplayer and MP2 was there because I wanted to buy and play it. Do you own an Xbox? Obviously. Whats my live name? None of your fatty roll business.( I was annoyed now) Why would someone want to play MP2 anyway? I said because its lots of fun maby? The reviews were terrible. (what an idiot) It seemed to get quite a few 9s. You consider 9s good? Why wouldn't I? Because you're an idiot. I then payed and left hearing mr. fattyb begin a conversation about Halo as I was leaving.
xflamedemonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xflamedemonx
^^ what a fat ass
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

When the staff make you look stupid

I don't have gamestop where I live, so I can't relate to many of those 'things'. But at my local EB, sometimes when you ask when a certain title comes out, or if it's in stock, they repeat the title back to you confused as if you've spoken German to them, or you're request asks the meaning of life.

They give you a blank or 'WTF' look before checking through their catalogue. The absolutely clueless staff will check through their catalogue much longer than needed as people in queue behind you scratch heads and sigh heavily while the staff somehow makes your simple, one-question request a giant, lingering nuisance for all.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

Ive met a few people who talk to the employees all teh time. THey say like, "hey, you try that new Mario game" or "what do you think of the PS3?" when you can tell by the Employees expression he just wants the guy to leave him alone. The Guy, however,most likely knows all about the game and has played it through all the way, but he just wants somebody to agree with him, or if he dosent, he can comment on why he is wrong in what he thinks.

I also hate the fact they sell your PReorders alot of times.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 black_awpN1

When the staff make you look stupid

I don't have gamestop where I live, so I can't relate to many of those 'things'. But at my local EB, sometimes when you ask when a certain title comes out, or if it's instockto, they repeat the title back to you confused as if you've spoken German to them, or you're request asks the meaning of life.

They give you a blank or 'WTF' look before checking through their catalogue. The absolutely clueless staff will check through their catalogue muchlonger than needed as people in queuebehind you scratch heads andsigh heavilywhile the staff somehow makes your simple, one-question request a giant, lingering nuisance for all.

Optusnet

O how about when the staff thinks your incorrect about something and they insist on Correcting you and making you look like you dont knowanything. When in fact you were the one who was correct, but since they dont know what there talking about, tehy think what they said is correct.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

Yeah, unfortunately, it's my boss that requires me to sell preorders, which I unfortunately never do.

Thus, I get no hours. Preorders=hours he told me. I pretty much refuse to throw that question at everyone who steps up to the counter. Thus, I work 5 hours a week....for $5.85.

It is a terrible place though. Record breaking profits and this morons can't seem to get their crap together with the schedule. They overhired, underpay, and rework the schedule whether they tell me in advance or while I'm working.

I thought it was just my store's incompetence.

Anyway, most of the old women seem to like it if you harrass them about helping them with games. It's Christmas time and a lot of these people don't know what the hell a videogame is.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Those are so true. :lol:

I would be the "Guy who knows what he's doing". I go into the store, get my game, possibly talk my brother out of another Dynasty Warriors game, buy my game, maybe have a quick conversation about the game I'm buying (at least with SMG, about how awesome it is).

I laugh on the inside at middle-aged women trying to figure out "how this Wii thing works" (seriously, some lady was just staring at the controller in utter shock, analyzing it for about 3 minutes before just shrugging and walking away), or arguing over their teenage/pre-teen son/daughter over why T rated games are bad, and/or buying a completely wrong thing.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_awpN1

I actually just thought of one:

Shoving Game Informer down your throat:

Gamstop employees are pretty well known for their, "would you like to sign up for our EDGE card and recieve a free subscription to game informer?" I get very sick of being asked this. If I wanted the latest issue of Game Informer, I would have boguhten it! I say no, but they still persist, "come on, its the best Video Game magazine around! It gives you the latest news!" I can go on GS or something to get my News WAY faster than a once a month magazine. THey also ask you if you would like to preorder anything. DUDE, just give me my game and let me GO HOME! If I wanted to preorder something, I probaly already have done it.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts

The only problem i have is that you should be abled to return a new game in atleast 3 days if u dont like it but it has to be in perfect condition

and i thought when they took the cartridge,umd, or disc out of the shelf and put it in the case it was security reasons

and theressome guys that toldme al the info i needed on the game without advertising

xflamedemonx

As a part-time employee I have to say that is somewhat accurate if not condescending. Not all Gamestops are jerks.

As for the highlighted, what other store would let you do that?

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 black_awpN1
[QUOTE="xflamedemonx"]

Yellow_Rose

As a part-time employee I have to say that is somewhat accurate if not condescending. Not all Gamestops are jerks.

You cant do that with BRAND NEW GAMES can you?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

There is this British dude who manages the EB (now Gamestop) around here and he is terribly annoying about pre-orders. I don't go there anymore because the last time he pushed some pre-order on me and when I said no he started talking out loud to his 4 employees (way overstaffed) about how only an idiot would not pre-order something. He was sweating profusely while he did this. Very weird.

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mad_Rhetoric

Yeah, unfortunately, it's my boss that requires me to sell preorders, which I unfortunately never do.

Thus, I get no hours. Preorders=hours he told me. I pretty much refuse to throw that question at everyone who steps up to the counter. Thus, I work 5 hours a week....for $5.85.

It is a terrible place though. Record breaking profits and this morons can't seem to get their crap together with the schedule. They overhired, underpay, and rework the schedule whether they tell me in advance or while I'm working.

Anyway, most of the old women seem to like it if you harrass them about helping them with games. It's Christmas time and a lot of these people don't know what the hell a videogame is.

BobHipJames
:lol:
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

After I got my preorder sold for a game that I can't remember, I never did it again from these guys.

xflamedemonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xflamedemonx

BobHipJames

I thought minimum wage increased to $7.25 or $7.5 USD

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 black_awpN1

Are gamestop people only able to keep their jobs unless they get preorders. Because everytime I say no, the guy loooks very angraly at me.

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mad_Rhetoric
[QUOTE="BobHipJames"]

xflamedemonx

I think thats only california
xflamedemonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xflamedemonx
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="xflamedemonx"]

black_awpN1

Bestbuy let me returned an open game i mean theres nothing wrong with an opened game as long as its in mint condition

but i still like gamestop a lot better dont really know why though

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Yellow_Rose
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="xflamedemonx"]

black_awpN1

No, you can't. And no other store I know of will let you do that.

DaddyLongCaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaddyLongCaddy
Member since 2007 • 844 Posts
The "Pokemon Kid" is quite possibly the truest thing I've ever read.
nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts

I got a fun story about comment guy that makes him seem better. I was checking out the DS games, and he said to me "there's this one game that me and my wife play, it's called uh... hmm... something games. I don't know, I can't remember, but it's seriously one of the best games I've ever played. It takes all these fun minigames and crams em into one game, you could just spend days and days playing all of them. Like it's got cards, pool, you name it. Man I wish I could remember what the name of it was."

After I got home I realized he was talking about Clubhouse Games.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
[QUOTE="xflamedemonx"][QUOTE="BobHipJames"]

Mad_Rhetoric

I think thats only california

Ohio and maby West Virginia too.
RogueGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RogueGoose
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts
I also hate how a While Ago I got a PSP game and Was looking at the Reicpt; it said that to return something you needed the Reicpt and the Unopened game... If you wanted all your money back... But, All of the PSP games there were already open... new and old...
g_hart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 g_hart
Member since 2005 • 980 Posts

I'll add the, "Trade-in20 games and 13 DVD's on new release day" guy.

This is the guy that had a game reserved and knew he was getting it on the release date, but decided to wait until that day (which is mysteriously the same day that there are 200 customers in line behind him)to bring in every old game and DVD he has to trade in for $29 in store credit. After he holds the line up for two hours splitting the remainder of what he owes between cash and a debit card, the idiot Gamestop employee holds him up another hour trying to convince him to reserve something else. Of course the "Trade-in" guy doesn't know what dates anything is being released, so the Gamestop employee pulls up and reads to him every game being released between now and 2010. Usually this is around the time that the "Trade-in" guy realizes that he barely had enough money to get the game that he came in for and respectfully declines reserving a new one. "I can take the next customer in line."

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 black_awpN1

I usually go to Gamecrazy (its a add on Gamestore for Hollywood video)

I personally work at Target in Stock, so im making 8.00 an hour. yay for me.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yellow_Rose

BTW I have my own list. ;)

1) The kid who wants to get you fired because you recommended a gamethat he didn't like.

2) The guy who brings back a game he beat and wants his money back. (That was fun)

3) People that come into the store asking for stuff common sense should tell them we wouldn't sell, and look at you like you're the moron.

4) People who come in to buy games, when they first need to use that money to buy a bar of soap.

.....I got a million of them :lol:

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts
Good job TC I especially iked the part about the kid having to eat his vegetables to play a game. While I haven't been in a Gamestop for 3 months, the one I go to is pretty good - I don't have the weirdos walking around (both customers and employees) and they never did the "hold a NEW game under the drawer and sell the seperated disc and OPENED case as NEW" thing that many hate Gamestop for. I hate ebay and I have the problems listed in the OP in my gamecrazy (anyone see that training video with the street-talking lady?), so I stick to gamestop for trading in games I got bored with.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 black_awpN1

1) The kid who wants to get you fired because you recommended a gamethat he didn't like.

2) The guy who brings back a game he beat and wants his money back. (That was fun)

3) People that come into the store asking for stuff common sense should tell them we wouldn't sell, and look at you like you're the moron.

4) People who come in to buy games, when they first need to use that money to buy a bar of soap.

Yellow_Rose

Question about your Sig quoting me. Do alot of People actually do that? where they upgrade their PC when in fact they could just play it on their console?

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nyoroism

Oh lawd, that reminded me of another story from Gamestop. I have four Gamestops in my town. Two OK ones, one REALLY BAD one, and one REALLY GOOD one. Me and my brother were out looking for the Final Fantasy XI expansion pack, and the two OK and one really good stores didn't have it.

So as a last resort, we went to the bad Gamestop.

"Do you have Final Fantasy XI Wings of the Goddess for the PC?"

"Yes we do"

*at least 5 minutes passed by, they were doing who knows what*

One of the guys then said "we got it, but it's in the back" so he goes back there and looks through a box. He comes back out without a game and didn't say anything. Then the second employee said "ok what game was it now, the Final Fantasy XII expansion pack for the DS?" What the hell?

"No, it's Final Fantasy XI Wings of the Goddess for the PC"

About thirty seconds later he says "for PS2, right?"

Christ. How many times do I have to tell you? After about 12-15 minutes total they FINALLY said "no we don't have it".

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

Yellow_Rose

i got one:

The guy that comes into the store and thinks he's a guitar hero god and plays the damn kiosk FOREVER

KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KingOfKonging
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

It's missing the most prevalent category:

The "What the Hell is a 'shower'?" / "This insane-looking, scraggly hair on my face is REMOVABLE?!?!" guy.

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nyoroism
i got one:

The guy that comes into the store and thinks he's a guitar hero god and plays the damn kiosk FOREVER

REforever101
I do that when I go with my brother to Gamestop but have no intent of buying anything, so I play while I wait. And I am a Guitar Hero God thank you very much.
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Yellow_Rose

Question about your Sig quoting me. Do alot of People actually do that? where they upgrade their PC when in fact they could just play it on their console?

black_awpN1

Me quoting you isn't personal. It's just what you said represent the whole hypocritical "i can just play the superior version of the 360's best games on my PC". Not saying you've used that tired line, but a lot of Sony fanboys do. ;)

Tingle-Tuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 Tingle-Tuner
Member since 2006 • 980 Posts
They also always give me the wrong game if I buy a used games. I always have to see if the disk is the right one.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 black_awpN1

Oh lawd, that reminded me of another story from Gamestop. I have four Gamestops in my town. Two OK ones, one REALLY BAD one, and one REALLY GOOD one. Me and my brother were out looking for the Final Fantasy XI expansion pack, and the two OK and one really good stores didn't have it.

"Yes we do"

One of the guys then said "we got it, but it's in the back" so he goes back there and looks through a box. He comes back out without a game and didn't say anything. Then the second employee said "ok what game was it now, the Final Fantasy XII expansion pack for the DS?" What the hell?

Christ. How many times do I have to tell you? After about 12-15 minutes total they FINALLY said "no we don't have it".

nyoroism

I know how you feel. I ws picking up Uncharted without a preorder on day 1, and I asked if they had any that werent reserved he could sell me. HE said, "I have to check, come back in 30 minutes" I dont know why it would take a hlf hour, but I digresse. I got something to eat at the food court (it was a Gamestop in a Mall) ANd I came back a half hour later to get the game. I asked if he found any yet, he said ,"no, I still need to check. So i looked at a few games. He was even attempting to look for it. he was sitting their chatting with one of his freinds. Finally, the only way I got my game was when a fellow employee asked if I recieved my game yet, I said No. He then asked the guy, can I take one out of the box for this guy, he said sure. WTF so I waited about an hour and a half, maybe even two for you to just tell a guy its ok to take one out of the box?

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"]i got one:

nyoroism

I do that when I go with my brother to Gamestop but have no intent of buying anything, so I play while I wait. And I am a Guitar Hero God thank you very much.

:shocK:

its YOU

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 black_awpN1
[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]

Yellow_Rose

Me quoting you isn't personal. It's just what you said represent the whole hypocritical "i can just play the superior version of the 360's best games on my PC". Not saying you've used that tired line, but a lot of Sony fanboys do. ;)

Ah, Gotcha. Makes sense now.

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nyoroism
I know how you feel. I ws picking up Uncharted without a preorder on day 1, and I asked if they had any that werent reserved he could sell me. HE said, "I have to check, come back in 30 minutes" I dont know why it would take a hlf hour, but I digresse. I got something to eat at the food court (it was a Gamestop in a Mall) ANd I came back a half hour later to get the game. I asked if he found any yet, he said ,"no, I still need to check. So i looked at a few games. He was even attempting to look for it. he was sitting their chatting with one of his freinds. Finally, the only way I got my game was when a fellow employee asked if I recieved my game yet, I said No. He then asked the guy, can I take one out of the box for this guy, he said sure. WTF so I waited about an hour and a half, maybe even two for you to just tell a guy its ok to take one out of the box? black_awpN1
I'm not defending that or anything, because it's quite absurd, but maybe he told you to come back because they hadn't gotten the shipment in yet? I mean if it was still in the box, that means they must have just gotten it fairly soon. But still, I feel your pain. I've had experiences where a game was sitting right in front of me and they wouldn't give it to me as well.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Good read
jmorey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jmorey01
Member since 2004 • 2637 Posts

I only have one gamestop in my area, I have a friend who works there who is VERY knowlegeable and doesn't shove pre-orders down my throat.

I love going there.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 REforever101
[QUOTE="nyoroism"]

"Yes we do"

black_awpN1

I know how you feel. I ws picking up Uncharted without a preorder on day 1, and I asked if they had any that werent reserved he could sell me. HE said, "I have to check, come back in 30 minutes" I dont know why it would take a hlf hour, but I digresse. I got something to eat at the food court (it was a Gamestop in a Mall) ANd I came back a half hour later to get the game. I asked if he found any yet, he said ,"no, I still need to check. So i looked at a few games. He was even attempting to look for it. he was sitting their chatting with one of his freinds. Finally, the only way I got my game was when a fellow employee asked if I recieved my game yet, I said No. He then asked the guy, can I take one out of the box for this guy, he said sure. WTF so I waited about an hour and a half, maybe even two for you to just tell a guy its ok to take one out of the box?

something similar happened to me when i tried to pre-order the orange box for the 360

for some reason, the guy kept thinking i was saying the PC version. i had to tell the game about 4 times, and he STILL SCREWED IT UP. its a good thing i checked the receipt, cause if i didnt i wouldnt have noticed that it said i placed a preorder for the ps3 version

OH, and this other time i bought FFIII for the ds while i was on vacation in another state. when the guy asked me if i wanted to pre-order any other ds games. i told the guy im not from the state, and he kinda just looked at me blankly for a while like he didnt understand why that would stop me from placing a preorder. it got even worse when he asked me "if i was sure" i didnt want to preorder anything

Fick1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fick1122
Member since 2006 • 2135 Posts

I have a billion of my own stories, but here's a few.

1.) "Do you have Mario for the PS2?" The Gamestop guy just looked at her like she was retarded.

2.) I went in and asked when a DS game's release date was (forget what game it was), and the guy was like, "I dunno, I hate the ds." He just stood there twirling these keys and after about 15 seconds I asked him if he could check, and he responded with an annoyed "hold on". wtf?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

I can't stand this one Gamestop in town because of the clique that hangs out in there. Loud mouthed bunch of idiots that probably have the highest/most misplaced self esteem on the planet. It used to be a Funcoland back in the day. I made the sad mistake of walking in there looking for a Dead Rising strategy guide.

I know it's cool to talk at 120 decibels about how cool it is drinking Guiness and playing Magic the Gathering but...do it somewhere else. There is nothing worse in retail or any customer service job than making customers feel as if they are bothering you.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
And that is why i hate GameStop/EbGames. Thank god for my local Play 'n Trade, where the employees are real gamers (one was talking about how Jeff Gerstmann got fired) and sell games to them. Too bad they never get a big supply of Wiis or have a wide variety of games, but they do sell used games and consoles also. And they have a SNES, Dreamcast, Cube, Xbox, Xbox360, PS3, and sometimes a Genesis set up.
nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nyoroism

I have a billion of my own stories, but here's a few.

1.) "Do you have Mario for the PS2?" The Gamestop guy just looked at her like she was retarded.

2.) I went in and asked when a DS game's release date was (forget what game it was), and the guy was like, "I dunno, I hate the ds." He just stood there twirling these keys and after about 15 seconds I asked him if he could check, and he responded with an annoyed "hold on". wtf?

Fick1122

Recently I went into Gamestop unsure of when Phantom Hourglass was going to be out. First thing I did was ask "do you know when the new Zelda game is coming out?"

>>You mean the one that came out yesterday?

Sure there was egg on my face, but what other game could I be talking about? The one that hasn't been announced yet?

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 black_awpN1

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I know how you feel. I ws picking up Uncharted without a preorder on day 1, and I asked if they had any that werent reserved he could sell me. HE said, "I have to check, come back in 30 minutes" I dont know why it would take a hlf hour, but I digresse. I got something to eat at the food court (it was a Gamestop in a Mall) ANd I came back a half hour later to get the game. I asked if he found any yet, he said ,"no, I still need to check. So i looked at a few games. He was even attempting to look for it. he was sitting their chatting with one of his freinds. Finally, the only way I got my game was when a fellow employee asked if I recieved my game yet, I said No. He then asked the guy, can I take one out of the box for this guy, he said sure. WTF so I waited about an hour and a half, maybe even two for you to just tell a guy its ok to take one out of the box? nyoroism
I'm not defending that or anything, because it's quite absurd, but maybe he told you to come back because they hadn't gotten the shipment in yet? I mean if it was still in the box, that means they must have just gotten it fairly soon. But still, I feel your pain. I've had experiences where a game was sitting right in front of me and they wouldn't give it to me as well.

The box was right next to his feet in front of the register when I first got their. THey had to have had it for atleast a hour before hand. Their where even copies of the game on the shelf behind the register.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

:lol::lol: Awesome funnies.

But in all honesty just shows what a bunch of condescending ******* we mostly are. Looking down on others, making fun of slight ignorance, employees taking piss out of their customers, customers hating employees.

No wonder gaming gets looked at weirdly we're elitists at heart, protecting our "hobby".