Thanks consolites, because of you no dedicated servers for RAGE PC

• 199 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for scoobiesnackarf
scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scoobiesnackarf
Member since 2005 • 1559 Posts

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/11/dedicated-servers-and-rage-news-you-probably-dont-want-to-hear.html

"It's not cast in stone yet, but at this point no, we don't think we will have dedicated servers," he says.

"John Carmack, co-founder and technical wizard of the developer, says the company doesn't plan to support dedicated servers for the multiplayer component of "Rage," id's upcoming new action game."

Nice job consolites. Thanks for helping to ruin PC gaming.

Avatar image for tehsystemwarior
tehsystemwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tehsystemwarior
Member since 2009 • 1812 Posts
Your welcome. :p
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Yep it's all of our fault. That was the plan all along. Got you good eh?

Oh and according to your sig, you own consoles. No need to thank us, just thank yourself. You contributed just as much any any of us

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Or it could be PC developers are figureing out they will never get money out of the elitest pc gaming masses and their calls of free every thing including FREE pc games, so they are concentrating on us console gamers whom actually show our developers support via money.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

don't blame us dude blame the devs....maybe if PC games sold more u wouldn't have this problem

WhoIsGeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WhoIsGeez
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts
In your face! jk...
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Did PC developers hit their head on a rock somehwere?

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Good thing I never cared for RAGE. Sucks for those who did. But that ain't right John. Ain't right at all.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

JangoWuzHere
yeah the rock of realization that the rampent pc piracy indicates one thing, elitest pc gamers dont think they should have to pay money for any thing since they all ready sunk money into their gaming pc.
Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts
Whats the point of buying it now if theres no dedicated servers. :S
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Or it could be PC developers are figureing out they will never get money out of the elitest pc gaming masses and their calls of free every thing including FREE pc games, so they are concentrating on us console gamers whom actually show our developers support via money.

WilliamRLBaker

Erm... What? Yes, consolites are so much better because they pay money... So do PC gamers in fact.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

WilliamRLBaker
yeah the rock of realization that the rampent pc piracy indicates one thing, elitest pc gamers dont think they should have to pay money for any thing since they all ready sunk money into their gaming pc.

Nice blatantly ignorant generalization you have going there.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I didn't even know RAGE was going to have a multiplayer side to it.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Rage has never really been a PC centric game, even in the early days they talked about the design of the engine not being mod friendly. It looked impressive years ago but it looks meh now, low polygon characters and blurry textures. I heard the lighting is pre baked into the textures, I swear it's like we are moving backwards at times.

At the end of the day RAGE is a shooter/racing hybrid and racing games don't interest me, the shooter side may have got my interest but the game has lost its appeal over the years.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I own a gaming PC and consoles. Does that make me a consolite?:question:

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 10MP
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

time to put this in the do no buy pile with mw2.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lundy86_4

OT, TC this is hardly the consolites fault. It's a business decision from the devs to move away from hosting dedicated servers. In this economic climate, it's hardly surprising, and cuts are being made in every company. It sucks, but we'll wait and see how this unfolds.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Never even heard about this game but if it has more than 8 players and doesn't use dedicated servers it's going to fail in my books.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

You'll get no sympathy from me.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

WilliamRLBaker

Pirated servers:
Servers - 141
Max players - 3646

Legitimate servers:
Servers - 13245
Max players - 266326

Total amount of servers: 141+13245=13386
Percentage of pirated servers: 141/13386*100=1.05%

Total amount of players: 3646+266326=269972
Percentage of pirated players: 3646/269972*100=1.35%

http://www.private-servers.info/CallOfDuty4.html
http://www.game-monitor.com/GameSearch/"

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

OT, TC this is hardly the consolites fault. It's a business decision from the devs to move away from hosting dedicated servers. In this economic climate, it's hardly surprising, and cuts are being made in every company. It sucks, but we'll wait and see how this unfolds.

lundy86_4
I thought players hosted their own dedicated servers. They don't need to put up any dedicated servers. As long as players can buy their own servers then I don't see why they can't implant this feature
KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts

You're welcome. But seriously, considering past remarks about PC gaming by this guy and IW, why are PC gamers surprised? You should be thanking the PC gaming community not console players. Don't like it, don't buy it......simple.

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts

I'm not looking forward to Rage for its multiplayer, though I really hope that this isn't becoming a trend. :|

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Is it even online focused? Doesn't seem like a big deal, can't imagine many mods getting made for it...
hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

Nice job consolites. Thanks for helping to ruin PC gaming.

scoobiesnackarf

I am very glad that I could help. :D

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

JangoWuzHere

I thought players hosted their own dedicated servers. They don't need to put up any dedicated servers. As long as players can buy their own servers then I don't see why they can't implant this feature

Sorry my bad. I'm trying to type on my laptop and play Dragon Age on my PC :P

Yes, players host the dedicated servers for a fee.

I stand corrected :oops:

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Rage has never really been a PC centric game, even in the early days they talked about the design of the engine not being mod friendly. It looked impressive years ago but it looks meh now, low polygon characters and blurry textures. I heard the lighting is pre baked into the textures, I swear it's like we are moving backwards at times.

At the end of the day RAGE is a shooter/racing hybrid and racing games don't interest me, the shooter side may have got my interest but the game has lost its appeal over the years.

AnnoyedDragon

Carmack said it's nod mod friendly because it requires tons of HDD space and processing power. A random mod maker can't compress and decompress hundreds of GB of data as of now, but in a few years it will be possible.

But don't doubt Carmack when it comes to graphics. Per-pixel customisation without any performance loss is revolutionary.

As for MP in Rage - who cares? It's just another bullet point. It's like MP for Fallout 3...

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Brownesque
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

JangoWuzHere

Yes, there are players that literally had to cancel orders on dedicated servers as a result of the MW2 news. Lots of people petitioning IW are just saying that they have the dedicated box they're just waiting for the code to let them run it. By the way, they threw that code in the garbage, they already had it in COD4 (and likewise every id game has had dedicated servers with the exception of the failure Wolfenstein). They decided to incur an additional cost (in their own words the largest investment they've ever made into the PC version) just developing their own proprietary network structure. And the really ironic thing is that they have to now set up matchmaking servers they didn't need before just to make the matchmaking work. This is all so they can take control away from us, make our experiences worse, kill the modding, competitive, and clan communities, and ruin online performance.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
mmm consoles :)
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts

Or it could be PC developers are figureing out they will never get money out of the elitest pc gaming massesand their calls of free every thing including FREE pc games, so they are concentrating on us console gamers whom actually show our developers support via money.

WilliamRLBaker

Elaborate?

ChrisJ2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChrisJ2004
Member since 2003 • 2818 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that most of these games will, in the end, have DS through 3rd party utilities and such. If they can do it with far more complex MMOs, then it should be easier to do it with FPS.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Way to start a flame war between uninformed fanboys.

Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

dont get mad console people will one day weak up when they have to pay 40 bucks every month to be able to play their console.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phoenix534

Is it even online focused? Doesn't seem like a big deal, can't imagine many mods getting made for it...bobbetybob

Not really. I expect it to have mediocre multiplayer anyway, so I don't care. Just make a good singleplayer.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

dont get mad console people will one day weak up when they have to pay 40 bucks every month to be able to play their console.

SLIisaownsystem

It's $50, and it's yearly. Way to be informed.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

The sad truth is, PC gaming's only defense is its gamers. PC gaming doesn't have some company which'll be some kind of defending voice, nor someone who'll attract developers to PC, so basically, developers can do whatever they please, and they wouldn't care if you don't like it.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="SLIisaownsystem"]

789shadow

It's $50, and it's yearly. Way to be informed.

And it's only for Xbox 360 multiplayer. And World of Warcraft costs more.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#38 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
This is pretty funny in light of recent events....
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Brownesque

The sad truth is, PC gaming's only defense is its gamers. PC gaming doesn't have some company which'll be some kind of defending voice, nor someone who'll attract developers to PC, so basically, developers can do whatever they please, and they wouldn't care if you don't like it.

IgGy621985
Purpose of this thread=getting the word out. Better we be prepared now then have thousands of people pissed off at the subpar product these companies eventually kick out the door. I'm interested in seeing their real rationale behind this, though. I just can't figure out why they're doing this.
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts

IgGy621985

Futuremark,Stardock,GPG,Blizzard would like to have a word with you.but anyway blaming console's for no dedicated servers on PC is as about as dumb as blaming them for no dedicated servers on MW2

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

Unforgiven2870

Futuremark,Stardock,GPG,Blizzard would like to have a word with you.

I mean, a company which'll react when something like that happens.

Okay, DICE reacted in their own kind of way, after about three years completely ignoring the PC, the platform which virtually made them what they are today.

The truth is: more and more companies and developers are starting to stop caring about the PC, because they know it's just useless. Except Blizzard and Valve who found the formula for big money. Other 99% just don't give a damn. Honestly, if I owned a gaming company and see how my products are easily pirated, I wouldn't care for PC either.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

Yeah... I buy all my PC games, just like so many other people do.

Who is playing pirated copies of MW2 right now? PC pirates? Nope. 360 pirates. This illusion that piracy is a "problem" on PC and not on consoles need to stop... and I expect more from Carmack. He's suffered through countless bouts of "rampant piracy" and still has made a fortune.

I highly doubt dropping deds has anything to do with piracy. I would buy RAGE on PC just to shut people like you up about PC piracy.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

IgGy621985
I think Valve can speak for the PC, as a backup to gamers, afterall, i don't think ANYONE has ever supported the pc more than valve
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
i thought RAGE was a single player focused game anyways?...
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

WilliamRLBaker

Dedicated servers and piracy are two ENTIRELY seperate issues. The removal of deidcated servers isn't going to affect piracy one flipping bit. The only person it will affect are those that like to have as close to lag free environments as possible with their own custom server settings.
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
i thought RAGE was a single player focused game anyways?...kidcool189
Same thing I was thinking.... :?:
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

I'm curious... have any of you asked what PC gamers might have to do with this, or is it just easier to blame someone else for your problems?

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

Yep it's all of our fault. That was the plan all along. Got you good eh?

Oh and according to your sig, you own consoles. No need to thank us, just thank yourself. You contributed just as much any any of us

BPoole96

ouch he got u there.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#49 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I own a gaming PC and consoles. Does that make me a consolite?:question:

RadecSupreme
No,it makes you smart.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

no one really cares about pc gaming any more .