SW, does the genre of a game prove its worth in the whole debate?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I'll make this short. It seems as though some genres are treated as worth more than others in the whole SW debate. Is this true. Why do we never see puzzle games being held up to the same worth as an FPS for exampe. Someone, please explain, I'm curious.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'm pretty sure the majority of System Warriors talk about only what genres interest them. Heck, I like most genres but I kind of despise music and don't talk about certain ones for obvious reasons.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

In SW, to some yes. In reality, all genres are equal.

But with the way modern gamers are today, unless its an action shooter or action sandbox its inferior. It's sad, but it's the truth.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge

Interesting. So another question, why the hell do we only look at letters when comparing libraries? Shouldn't variety in a number of genres be important as well?

AssassinFonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AssassinFonce
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts
Because frankly, lots of these AAA puzzle games are crap.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BoloTheGreat
Member since 2008 • 3483 Posts

Interesting. So another question, why the hell do we only look at letters when comparing libraries? Shouldn't variety in a number of genres be important as well?

ActicEdge
Well i think you have touched on a good issue there and one which needs to be adressed mainly on the Wii side of things, many people love FPS games, RPGs are proabaly one of the more well know and involving genres, and yet where the hell are these genres, amoung many, on the Wii?!
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ActicEdge

Because frankly, lots of these AAA puzzle games are crap. AssassinFonce

Frankly, lots of these AAAFPS games are crap. You need a better argument then that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

ActicEdge

Splitting my genre would be a great idea. It might prove the bias some consoles have for specific genres. For instance, the common thought that "teh 360 am teh shooterz" etc. I don't know if that's really the case.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

BoloTheGreat

Well i think you have touched on a good issue there and one which needs to be adressed mainly on the Wii side of things, many people love FPS games, RPGs are proabaly one of the more well know and involving genres, and yet where the hell are these genres, amoung many, on the Wii?!

Very true. Same as, many people like Platformers, puzzle games and action adventure games. Where are these games on the PS3 and 360?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 goblaa

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

BoloTheGreat

Yeah, its annoying to see devs ignore those genres on the wii. The exact same can be said on the flip side with the PS3 and 360. Where are the JRPGs? Where are the platformers? Where are the games that aren't sports or involve me killing things?

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BoloTheGreat
Some people just ignore games that are off their radar, even some FPS. People band on and on about CSS yet you never year a peep about masterpeices like the Tribes series of games from Irrational. It's all to do with waht is mass market and accessable, i LOVE alot of games regardless of genre. Games like Plant's Vs. Zombies for instance, or world of goo. Or Kings bounty (why do people neglect not JP SRPGs so much?)
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ActicEdge

Some people just ignore games that are off their radar, even some FPS. People band on and on about CSS yet you never year a peep about masterpeices like the Tribes series of games from Irrational. It's all to do with waht is mass market and accessable, i LOVE alot of games regardless of genre. Games like Plant's Vs. Zombies for instance, or world of goo. Or Kings bounty (why do people neglect not JP SRPGs so much?) BoloTheGreat

I don't understand how SW doesn't take genre into account. I also don't understand how discrediting of games off your radar is actually tolerated here.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Very true. Same as, many people like Platformers, puzzle games and action adventure games. Where are these games on the PS3 and 360?

Platformer 360- Banjo, Prince of Persia, Braid PS3- Ratchet and Clank, Prince of Persia Mirror's Edge is too hard to count as one, but i wanted a honorable mention for it Puzzle um Portal I guess and action adventure? really? um Assassins Creed would technically count for something like that, as well as Uncharted, Dead Rising, Kameo, Fable 2(it sure as hell isn't much of a RPG) etc.
BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BoloTheGreat

ActicEdge

XBLA has quite a good fix of them Splosion man, Braid etc, the 360 also has games from Rare this gen which are pretty different like the ever unerrated Kameo. Now about those Wi FPS, RPGs and (propper) Driving Games :P
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
We want action.. >_>
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"] Well i think you have touched on a good issue there and one which needs to be adressed mainly on the Wii side of things, many people love FPS games, RPGs are proabaly one of the more well know and involving genres, and yet where the hell are these genres, amoung many, on the Wii?!jg4xchamp

Platformer 360- Banjo, Prince of Persia, Braid PS3- Ratchet and Clank, Prince of Persia Mirror's Edge is too hard to count as one, but i wanted a honorable mention for it Puzzle um Portal I guess and action adventure? really? um Assassins Creed would technically count for something like that, as well as Uncharted, Dead Rising, Kameo, Fable 2(it sure as hell isn't much of a RPG) etc.

Persia is really more action adventurish I would say. Braid is not really a platformer more so then a puzzle game. Rachet is not a platformer. Action adventure was rather stupid though. I wasn't thinking :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"]Some people just ignore games that are off their radar, even some FPS. People band on and on about CSS yet you never year a peep about masterpeices like the Tribes series of games from Irrational. It's all to do with waht is mass market and accessable, i LOVE alot of games regardless of genre. Games like Plant's Vs. Zombies for instance, or world of goo. Or Kings bounty (why do people neglect not JP SRPGs so much?) ActicEdge

I don't understand how SW doesn't take genre into account. I also don't understand how discrediting of games off your radar is actually tolerated here.

Because a great game is a great game. The Genre doesn't make the game any less of a AAA to be quite honest. That said I would like to see how each platform has performed in each genre in terms of games that did AA or better.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"] Well i think you have touched on a good issue there and one which needs to be adressed mainly on the Wii side of things, many people love FPS games, RPGs are proabaly one of the more well know and involving genres, and yet where the hell are these genres, amoung many, on the Wii?!BoloTheGreat

XBLA has quite a good fix of them Splosion man, Braid etc, the 360 also has games from Rare this gen which are pretty different like the ever unerrated Kameo. Now about those Wi FPS, RPGs and (propper) Driving Games :P

XBLA doesn't really count in SW though. Granted for me personally, I want to try splosion man quite badly, and trine. Now those Wii FPS, RPG and Driving games don't exist (which is horrible and rather pathetic)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Persia is really more action adventurish I would say. Braid is not really a platformer more so then a puzzle game. Rachet is not a platformer. Action adventure was rather stupid though. I wasn't thinking :P

Persia has always been part action adventure and part platformer. It has done that very well, and the latest one was a smooth platformer. Ratchet was just more actioney, but the platforming is there, its just weak...always has been...also Little Big Planet.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goblaa

Don't waste time talking about one or two games from each genre on each system. Every genre is represented on every system. The point is which genres are much much more common on said systems.

Get over it, there are very few platformers, JRPGs, and puzzle games on the PS3 and 360. That doesn't mean there are ZERO nor are they bad.

Get over it, there are very few FPS, WRPGs, and realistic racers on the Wii. That doesn't mean there are ZERO nor are they bad.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

ActicEdge

XBLA doesn't really count in SW though. Granted for me personally, I want to try splosion man quite badly, and trine. Now those Wii FPS, RPG and Driving games don't exist (which is horrible and rather pathetic)

Metroid Prime 3 was about as First Person Shooter as Metroid could have ever gotten. For better or for worse its very First Person Shooter like to be quite honest. But even then the other genre's the Wii is just failing in.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"]Some people just ignore games that are off their radar, even some FPS. People band on and on about CSS yet you never year a peep about masterpeices like the Tribes series of games from Irrational. It's all to do with waht is mass market and accessable, i LOVE alot of games regardless of genre. Games like Plant's Vs. Zombies for instance, or world of goo. Or Kings bounty (why do people neglect not JP SRPGs so much?) jg4xchamp

Because a great game is a great game. The Genre doesn't make the game any less of a AAA to be quite honest. That said I would like to see how each platform has performed in each genre in terms of games that did AA or better.

I think in terms of who has the best games its a great way to decide. In terms of who has the best library (note, I think there is a difference) genres should matter. Great games are awesome but the idea that you must submit a console is the best when in theory it could have 300AA+ sports games and like 3+ in other genres is something I don't buy. The spread of the genres is important to a library imo.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BoloTheGreat

ActicEdge

Wait a minute!

Yes, it does. Braid exists, you need to deal with the fact the the 360 does infact have a hive of titles coming from the service that in amny cases match the quality of fully fledged games and have well scaled pricing. There is a huge range of sotfware in the genres you just listed and discounting them undermaines your argument and destroys your credibility.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"] XBLA has quite a good fix of them Splosion man, Braid etc, the 360 also has games from Rare this gen which are pretty different like the ever unerrated Kameo. Now about those Wi FPS, RPGs and (propper) Driving Games :P jg4xchamp

Metroid Prime 3 was about as First Person Shooter as Metroid could have ever gotten. For better or for worse its very First Person Shooter like to be quite honest. But even then the other genre's the Wii is just failing in.

MP3 is a great game but even its way to light on the shooting aspects. I really don't see why we never bring this point up in SW. The wii fails in those 3 genres, its actually a valid point of attack.

Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

Eh, I guess it's because some genres are more popular/recieve more attention/and has the wider appeal/more games in it.

Puzzle games are fun though :)

Maybe its because Halo 3 is a shooter that is inarguably the biggest game of this gen.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 goblaa

Again, there's no point in trying to prove genres are represented on a console by bringing up specific games. All genres are represented. This is a discussion about genre ratios.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"] XBLA has quite a good fix of them Splosion man, Braid etc, the 360 also has games from Rare this gen which are pretty different like the ever unerrated Kameo. Now about those Wi FPS, RPGs and (propper) Driving Games :P BoloTheGreat

Wait a minute!

Yes, it does. Braid exists, you need to deal with the fact the the 360 does infact have a hive of titles coming from the service that in amny cases match the quality of fully fledged games and have well scaled pricing. There is a huge range of sotfware in the genres you just listed and discounting them undermaines your argument and destroys your credibility.

Heh, go to the official SW rules thread, they don't count them. I'm not saying they shouldn't be counting but its never included in the tally. That's what I meant.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BoloTheGreat

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Wait a minute!

Heh, go to the official SW rules thread, they don't count them. I'm not saying they shouldn't be counting but its never included in the tally. That's what I meant.

Screw the AAA tally, we are talking about reality now.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mitu123

ActicEdge

SW is always confusing, they use their personal tastes in genres to see which is better because they don't have the urge to rely on something they don't have interest in. And later on rely on a genre they don't like when it scores A/AA/AAA/AAAA to have a better library, see how odd that works?

It's been like that forever.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BoloTheGreat

Again, there's no point in trying to prove genres are represented on a console by bringing up specific games. All genres are represented. This is a discussion about genre ratios.

goblaa
Name a driving sim on the Wii. Go!
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ActicEdge

Eh, I guess it's because some genres are more popular/recieve more attention/and has the wider appeal/more games in it.

Puzzle games are fun though :)

Maybe its because Halo 3 is a shooter that is inarguably the biggest game of this gen.

Alpha-Male22

Isn't that kind of a shallow way at looking at things however? I mean I understand the SW populace is mostly people who don't usuallywaver outside of the age 18-35 demographic game type but shouldn't all the genres have to be represented well to prove dominance? I also just don't understand why a AA puzzle game seems to be worth less in the eyes of SW (who are all bent up on the rules of SW for some reason) than a AA sandbox for example. Also, Isn't COD bigger than Halo? And NSMB? And Wifit? etc?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"]

Wait a minute!

BoloTheGreat

Screw the AAA tally, we are talking about reality now.

Well in that case lol, the 360 is pretty decent (no its actually terrible but comparitively speaking) in platformers and solid in puzzlers. But I meant in terms of SW becauseI can't really use reality as a defense in an argument here lol.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

BoloTheGreat

http://wii.ign.com/index/games.html?constraint.game_genre_name.game_genre_1.game_genre_2=Racing%3A&constraint.return_all=is_true (won't link for some reason :cry: )

Never said they were good...just that they existed.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

mitu123

SW is always confusing, they use their personal tastes in genres to see which is better because they don't have the urge to rely on something they don't have interest in. And later on rely on a genre they don't like when it scores A/AA/AAA/AAAA to have a better library, see how odd that works?

Its rather sad. Granted I haven't been here for long so I wouldn't know the "forever part" lol

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BoloTheGreat

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

goblaa

http://wii.ign.com/index/games.html?constraint.game_genre_name.game_genre_1.game_genre_2=Racing%3A&constraint.return_all=is_true (won't link for some reason :cry: )

I do beleive those are all arcade racers. :P
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Its rather sad. Granted I haven't been here for long so I wouldn't know the "forever part" lol

It probably is true about the forever part, seeing how SW are full of "hardcore" gamers, yep, I'm using that term again, LOL.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 goblaa

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"] Name a driving sim on the Wii. Go!BoloTheGreat

I do beleive those are all arcade racers. :P

link :D

Does the PS3 or 360 have any point and click adventures like monkey island?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Portal was a puzzle game, and it's highly praised.

It's just that traditional puzzle games are not on scale with any other genre for the most part. They might be great games, but in terms of the whole package an FPS game is enjoyed for the experience, and a puzzle game is just there to kill time. I have never played a puzzle game, and been absolutely amazed at it's epicness even though I really like the game

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"] XBLA has quite a good fix of them Splosion man, Braid etc, the 360 also has games from Rare this gen which are pretty different like the ever unerrated Kameo. Now about those Wi FPS, RPGs and (propper) Driving Games :P BoloTheGreat

Wait a minute!

What kind of full fledge games are we talking here? If you're referring to games like Red Steel, sure but I haven't played a game on XBLA or PSN that match any of my full fledge games.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ActicEdge

Portal was a puzzle game, and it's highly praised.

It's just that traditional puzzle games are not on scale with any other genre for the most part. They might be great games, but in terms of the whole package an FPS game is enjoyed for the experience, and a puzzle game is just there to kill time. I have never played a puzzle game, and been absolutely amazed at it's epicness even though I really like the game

treedoor

But a puzzle game isn't suspose to feel epic. Essentially you are taking a trait you like iin one genre and applying it to another. You can't do that. A puzle game isn't suspose to feel epic just like an FPS isn't suspose to make you thik deeply.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BoloTheGreat

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] SW is always confusing, they use their personal tastes in genres to see which is better because they don't have the urge to rely on something they don't have interest in. And later on rely on a genre they don't like when it scores A/AA/AAA/AAAA to have a better library, see how odd that works?

W1NGMAN-

Cut the crap, everyone knows you're Blackbond....just leave SWs for good if it bothers you soo much.

Erm... WHAT?!
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] SW is always confusing, they use their personal tastes in genres to see which is better because they don't have the urge to rely on something they don't have interest in. And later on rely on a genre they don't like when it scores A/AA/AAA/AAAA to have a better library, see how odd that works?

W1NGMAN-

Cut the crap, everyone knows you're Blackbond....just leave SWs for good if it bothers you soo much.

Prove it. I would love for you to try. You found out Aljosa, try me. I have nothing to hide. I'm not him and there is nothing on this internet that could connect us. Good luck though.

BoloTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BoloTheGreat

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

ActicEdge

Erm... WHAT?!

W1NGMAN things he's clever. I would love for him to try though.

Don't worry, i've been accused of being people... Sometimes rightly ;)
boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

I'm pretty sure the majority of System Warriors talk about only what genres interest them. Heck, I like most genres but I kind of despise music and don't talk about certain ones for obvious reasons.

mitu123
you despise music?
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="BoloTheGreat"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

ActicEdge

Erm... WHAT?!

W1NGMAN thinks he's clever. I would love for him to try though. I don't even need to try and pretend. If I was blackbond, I'd have to like wrestling. That alone makes it clear we're not connected lol.

wow really? Why would you post exactly how you use to with a new account? It would just be a dead give away.:|

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

W1NGMAN-

Prove it. I would love for you to try. YOu found out Aljosa, try me. I have nothing to hide. I'm not him and there is nothing on this internet that could connect us. Good luck though.

Oh I know you're a tough one to pin down, you weren't as stupid as Aljosa but there's signs, probably not enough to get you banned but your time will come....it'll make it sweeter to see you banned once you hit about a 30 lvl here and see all that time and effort building up your new persona go to waste.

That sounds pretty personal and it shouldn't be.It isn't like the guy is an irritating troll or anything.He's a decent poster.