Stop saying that MGS4 is "overrated"

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

It isn't.

I find it hilarious how people (generally lemmings) say that MGS4 doesn't deserve a 10, when it's quite clear that they have never finished the game. Some use the "I played it at a friends house" arguement, but that's just stupid.

I've not followed the MGS series, but I bought MGS4 and I can say it is TOTALLY deserving of a 10. It's not overrated, and it's not a movie. You get plenty of game play and plenty of cutscenes.

I've played Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Crysis, Super Mario Galaxy, Grand Theft Auto IV, and I can promise you: MGS4 trumps the lot.

In fact, the whole: "4 AAA's > 1 AAAA" is total baloney. Your telling me that Forza and PDZ is as good as MGS4? I doubt it. Just look at how game ratings depreciate through time. GeoW was 9.6 on 360 and a 9.0 on PC. 360's AAAE's are probably just AA's now.

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts

its simple. jealousy. when they finally get an AAAAE and when cows say that the game is overrated they will do the same thing to defend it.

system wars = hypocrisy, contradictions and a lack of logic

toni_xhoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 toni_xhoni
Member since 2006 • 797 Posts

It isn't.

I find it hilarious how people (generally lemmings) say that MGS4 doesn't deserve a 10, when it's quite clear that they have never finished the game. Some use the "I played it at a friends house" arguement, but that's just stupid.

I've not followed the MGS series, but I bought MGS4 and I can say it is TOTALLY deserving of a 10. It's not overrated, and it's not a movie. You get plenty of game play and plenty of cutscenes.

I've played Bioshock, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Crysis, Super Mario Galaxy, Grand Theft Auto IV, and I can promise you: MGS4 trumps the lot.

In fact, the whole: "4 AAA's > 1 AAAA" is total baloney. Your telling me that Forza and PDZ is as good as MGS4? I doubt it. Just look at how game ratings depreciate through time. GeoW was 9.6 on 360 and a 9.0 on PC. 360's AAAE's are probably just AA's now.

Stumpt25

Agreed, MGS4 = Best damn game ever IMO

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
I've finished it and i completely despise it. Though i was never a fan of the series.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I have the game and i didnt think it was worth the 10, but thats my opinion and i'm more than entitled to it.

I personally do think that Forza 2 is alot better than MGS4, nothing fanboy or hater like about that, i just prefer Forza 2.

Anyway here you are trying to force your opinion and the reviewers opinion on everybody else and if they dont agree you call them fanboys, hypocrite much?

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

It isn't.

Stumpt25

no, you just have to stop caring at those bashing the game... please understand that the majority of these people dont even own a PS3....

Just let it go and enjoy the game like all fans of this series do.... (including myself)

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 superjim42

I have the game and i didnt think it was worth the 10, but thats my opinion and i'm more than entitled to it.

I personally do think that Forza 2 is alot better than MGS4, nothing fanboy or hater like about that, i just prefer Forza 2.

Anyway here you are trying to force your opinion and the reviewers opinion on everybody else and if they dont agree you call them fanboys, hypocrite much?

Snugenz

LOL forza and mgs4 in the same comparison?

ye i like pokemon more than halo 3 cos i personally think its better, nothing fanboy or hater like about that, i just prefer pokemon

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

Snugenz

I'm not against opinions. I'm against people who

a) can't appreciate the fact that MGS4 is a bloody good game regardless of whether they like it or not.

b) cast judgement on the game without playing it fully.

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
It is overrated. Omg, I completely negated your post, teh owned! Rant about your interactive movie all you want to.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snugenz
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

superjim42

ye i like pokemon more than halo 3 cos i personally think its better, nothing fanboy or hater like about that, i just prefer pokemon

Good for you, there's nothing wrong with Pokemon games ;)

a) can't appreciate the fact that MGS4 is a bloody good game regardless of whether they like it or not.

Stumpt25

I never said it was a bad game i just said it didnt live up to the score for me.

I have finished it.

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlphaGamer469
Member since 2008 • 1881 Posts
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Stumpt25

I agree those fanboys sure are annoying...

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superjim42
[QUOTE="superjim42"][QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Snugenz

Good for you, there's nothing wrong with Pokemon games ;)

yes pokemon owns :D

dude i wasnt bashing but using a racing game to compare to a different genre just doesnt work....just saying

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Snugenz

yes pokemon owns :D

dude i wasnt bashing but using a racing game to compare to a different genre just doesnt work....just saying

superjim42

Of course it works, i've had alot more fun playing Forza 2 than MGS4 and the OP said that Forza 2 doesnt compare to MGS4 so i corrected him using my opinion.

If you want me to compare stealth games, then yes MGS4 is better than the Splinter Cell: DA although SC: DA's multiplayer was better.

Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts
MGS IV is overrated.
Singularity22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Singularity22
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts
^^ And these guys arent mgs fanboys?
AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlphaGamer469

^^ And these guys arent mgs fanboys?Singularity22

That's what I was reffering too. MGS fanboys are the most annoying. Thou shall spend the time to completly watch every cutscene before you bash the game for being over rated. It's great to know gamers aren't entitled to there opinions...

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superjim42

[QUOTE="Singularity22"]^^ And these guys arent mgs fanboys?AlphaGamer469

That's what I was reffering too. MGS fanboys are the most annoying. Thou shall spend the time to completly watch every cutscene before you bash the game for being over rated. It's great to know gamers aren't entitled to there opinions...

you bash anything which is ps3 so why am i not suprised

AlphaGamer469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlphaGamer469
[QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]

[QUOTE="Singularity22"]^^ And these guys arent mgs fanboys?superjim42

you bash anything which is ps3 so why am i not suprised

No I don't. I actually like folding @ home and MLB the show...

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

How about we also stop saying Halo 3 is overrated, while we are at it?

Stumpt25

Well Froza and PDZ may not be as good as MGS 4, but an AAAA game is only one under an AAA, so 2 AAA games should = 1 AAAA game, And the AAAE games for the 360 is Forza, PDZ, Halo 3, and GRAW (a game with the same name may be on the other systems but they are not the same game).

Also the AAAE games are not AA now. They are AAA. The review scores don't go down over time.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

But what if someone actually finished it and didn't like it? Their opinion would be just as valid as the person who praises it.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

Everyone has to like MGS4. If they don't they are haters or lemmings...WRONG

Some people don't find the story of the series to be very much entertaining. And those not being fans of the series, probably couldn't find their way through the story to even understand what was going on in MGS4.

But anyways, I think MGS4 is ones of the best games I ever played in my life. It was just an epic fest through out the whole thing.

EPIC! :x

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 superjim42

Some people don't find the story of the series to be very much entertaining. And those not being fans of the series, probably couldn't find their way through the story to even understand what was going on in MGS4.

But anyways, I think MGS4 is ones of the best games I ever played in my life. It was just an epic fest through out the whole thing.

sargentbotk

well if the ppl who are known to be lemmings or haters then yes they are exactly that if they bash a game they havent even touched.

Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Utensilman
[QUOTE="sargentbotk"]

superjim42

well if the ppl who are known to be lemmings or haters then yes they are exactly that if they bash a game they havent even touched.

haters?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
MGS was way overrated right from the start of its Playstation era series. When I was naive and narrow-minded (that is almost 10 years ago), I thought that MGS 1 was very good, now I'm highly critical of it. MGS 2 was even worse, and I haven't touched the series ever since, but I'm not tempted to at all. To me, MGS is epitomy of overratedness, just like The Beatles and Radiohead is to the music.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

Stumpt25

a) can't appreciate the fact that MGS4 is a bloody good game regardless of whether they like it or not. If people don't like it, than to THEM, its not a good game.

b) cast judgement on the game without playing it fully. You don't really need to play the full game to cast judgement, I would say they need to at least give it a chance.

In the end, people have their own opinions, wether you like it or not.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
It's hard to make fair judgments when one's a fanboy. I can understand how newcomers to the series might be overwhelmed by the cutscenes and story, but one doesn't have to be a cow to appreciate how great the game is.
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Utensilman

MGS was way overrated right from the start of its Playstation era series. When I was naive and narrow-minded (that is almost 10 years ago), I thought that MGS 1 was very good, now I'm highly critical of it. MGS 2 was even worse, and I haven't touched the series ever since, but I'm not tempted to at all. To me, MGS is epitomy of overratedness, just like The Beatles and Radiohead is to the music.Salt_The_Fries

to me, MGS as a series is like the shows Lost and Heros....Everyone likes them because everyone is stupid. THOSE SHOWS ARE HORRIBLE. People have No taste these days

Koba123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Koba123
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts
I've finished it and i completely despise it. Though i was never a fan of the series.Utensilman

How did you manage to finish it then?
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Utensilman

i watched a roommate of mine play for a good 10 hours or so. I picked up at screaming mantis or w/e. Since he wasn't around for a week or so, i decided to finish the game myself. The ending was sooooooooo long and cheesey.

SPOILER

the whole part with raiden and his kid made me quiver with embarassment, along with octagon...christ it was horrible. The Big Boss scene was so dragged out, i was hoping snake woulda offed himself...but noooooo

END SPOILER....well not much of one

wally2nv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wally2nv
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts
no game truly desurves a 10
deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

the whole part with raiden and his kid made me quiver with embarassment, along with OCTAGON...christ it was horrible. The Big Boss scene was so dragged out, i was hoping snake woulda offed himself...but noooooo

Utensilman

Octagon?

It's Otacon. Octagon is a shape. Me thinks you didn't play it.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

Snugenz

Talk about me but there is literally no and I mean NO good posts about the ps3 from you. So once again I'll say your a ps3 poser. I really have no idea why you just didn't buy a stand alone bluray player. Sorry but you have pulled me out of a crowd before but post after post you do not have nothing good to say about the ps3. And I never pretended and had a 360 tag to show I was a 360 owner when I had one.

P.S. Lemming rants, I have never heard you say or call them a fanboy and that they were just forcing their oppinion on others either.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

no game truly desurves a 10wally2nv

but then was the point of a 10?

I mean i do agree..MGS4 does not deserve a 10..at all.

you dont get a 10/10 from Crappy onilne and a Horrible story that only fans will like..i never understood MGS and its popularity..IMO MGS1 was the only good one..then they all fell apart from there..To me GS just rode the hypetrain and gave it a 10/10 for Kicks and giggles.."Most technically advanced game ever" from the start already started to give away how much GS rode fanboy hype..

and GTA4 dident deserve a 10/10 eather..They erased all the Fun from pervous games for a more realistic approch. the online sucked..and there was almost no replay value for me..after i was finsished with it i was done..

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

but then was the point of a 10?Pinkyimp

The point of referring to a perfect product that got ahead of its time by many years, permamently influenced and introduced new conventions to existing genre / abandoned all existing conventions / invented a new genre, didn't put mass appeal over innovation.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts
It is overrated. Omg, I completely negated your post, teh owned! Rant about your interactive movie all you want to.flclempire
:lol: Yup, overrated :P
Koba123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Koba123
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts
[QUOTE="Utensilman"]

the whole part with raiden and his kid made me quiver with embarassment, along with OCTAGON...christ it was horrible. The Big Boss scene was so dragged out, i was hoping snake woulda offed himself...but noooooo

deuce85

Octagon?

It's Otacon. Octagon is a shape. Me thinks you didn't play it.

For crying out loud, he wasnt a fan of the series. He randomly picked up the game. Stop being a fanboy and let him have an opinion
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Snugenz
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

GreyFoXX4

Talk about me but there is literally no and I mean NO good posts about the ps3 from you. So once again I'll say your a ps3 poser. I really have no idea why you just didn't buy a stand alone bluray player. Sorry but you have pulled me out of a crowd before but post after post you do not have nothing good to say about the ps3. And I never pretended and had a 360 tag to show I was a 360 owner when I had one.

P.S. Lemming rants, I have never heard you say or call them a fanboy and that they were just forcing their oppinion on others either.

Excuse you, LBP is my most hyped game this year and i've made this clear in my posts recently, just because i didnt think much of MGS4 or a few other PS3 exclusives doesnt mean anything, i never bash the PS3 or its games. Unlike you.

Granted i usually ignore most Lemming rants (most not all) and focus on the extreme cows, is it a bit of bias? sure, the PS3 hasnt done much for me so far this gen so of course i'm gonna be inclined to stand up for the 360 more.

The only fact here is, i never bash the PS3, i have one and really hope it continues catching up to the 360 so i can eventually have 2 consoles that i love. You on the other hand go out of your way to bash the 360 for increasingly mundane reason and you praise the PS3 like a good little Sony slave, you have no right to call me out on anything.

Khansoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Khansoul
Member since 2004 • 4639 Posts
I can with all honesty say not only is MGS4 overrated I believe it to be the most overrated game this entire gen. I have not been that disinterested while playing a game in a really long time. I would play for a bit and wait, play for a bit and wait even longer during cutscenes for a story that could only be written in Japan. I will admit I have never been a super fan of MGS games, I just cannot believe how terrible this one was and how head over heels the industry went for it. The person who said PS3 owned 2008 with MGS4 has obviously not followed the sales of that very niche title.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts
but it is overrated!!!
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

but it is overrated!!!PAL360

Well, just pretend it's a AAA good title (Because that's what it is around the world), then let it be. People do it for Halo, which has it's following. I'm just glad I own both games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#42 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]but it is overrated!!!SolidTy

Well, just pretend it's a AAA good title (Because that's what it is around the world), then let it be. People do it for Halo, which has it's following. I'm just glad I own both games.

Its a good game but not a 10. And yes, ppl do it a lot for Halo!!! Fanboys

xXMcClaneXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xXMcClaneXx
Member since 2008 • 1110 Posts
i agreed with you up until you said that gears wasn't deserving of AAA status anymore....thats very false
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

God forbid someone have a difference of opinion! :roll:

I bought MGS 4 about a week or so after it came out and I've played through it on my PS3. In my eyes, it was not worthy of a 10 and nothing anyone here says is going to change that opinion of mine. Don't get me wrong, MGS 4 was an excellent game and an incredible gaming experience just not AAAA caliber.

PrOxShiNiGaMi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PrOxShiNiGaMi
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

BUT..BUT ITS OVER and OVERRATED!!!!!!!!

That the truth!

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
You're saying this on a forum where Halo gets more hate than it does praise. It's simply a fact that we've taken to a system of hating on the best games here.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

God forbid someone have a difference of opinion! :roll:

I bought MGS 4 about a week or so after it came out and I've played through it on my PS3. In my eyes, it was not worthy of a 10 and nothing anyone here says is going to change that opinion of mine. Don't get me wrong, MGS 4 was an excellent game and an incredible gaming experience just not AAAA caliber.

The_Game21x

Agreed. No fanboy can accuse me of being a hater, because i even posted here about how awesome it was, as well as in my blog the day it came out.

It's an absolutely fantastic game, and i loved playing it; but it isn't a 10. It was Van Ord's first screw up if you ask me, though other sites gave it 10s too to be fair. I think reviewers too often get caught up in hype and dont review games on their own merits, but rather on the huge hype around them.

MGS4 is an awesome game but it has problems. The cut scenes are excessive, the editing is very poor, the story is unnecessarily convoluted and the multiplayer is very poor and packaged as a separate game so it doesnt detract from the single player.

Huge issues? Absolutely not. But a game with problems like that is not a 10.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts
People take review scores too seriously. It's just one guy's opinion...
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Is this any different from people saying SMG, GTA IV, or Halo 3 are over-rated? No.

And it will always happen to any game that gets popular. Our generation loves to put things up on high only to tear them down just as feverishly.

Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts

theres a long story.. WaAAAA :cry:

I HAve AdD and cant sit through 5 or 10 minutes of story!!!

I want more games like blood, slash, gore, chain saws and no real story!!