Stop mentioning Gears and graphics.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 excelR83
Member since 2003 • 2932 Posts

This is not about Gears 2. Original Gears, calm down.

When is the last time anyone actually played GeOW? How could you help but notice Marcus' square neck, his jaggy elbow, the persistent meshy layer of "static" all over everything that the Unreal Engine brings to every small texture (UT3 was the worst for it). How about the occasional screen tears and framerate dips? The textures and the way light hits them are what give people a boner, but beyond that the technical side of it looks pretty dated right now.

I have been mentioning Gears as still in contention for graphics champ (behind Uncharted and Metal Gear) as well, but I recommend to anyone doing the same that you dust the game off and pop it in. It's really not so impressive now. It still holds up pretty nicely in screenshots, but playing the actual game again, I was less than bowled over by how good it looks. It has finally shown it's age, and if you are still touting it as console graphics champ, you might want to play it again.

Those character models just don't hold weight anymore. It looks like a Something About Mary accident took place in his hair.

Don't take this as some kind of slam at the game (or at Gears 2, Gears 2 will OWN), I just think it needs to stop being mentioned for it's graphics since it truly is behind the times now. To be fair, I played Uncharted again and don't feel that it measures up to Metal Gear at all. There are a lot of minor flaws and technical hiccups that only became apparent after I played something as technically proficient and polished as MGS4.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
I never thought it looked that amazing anyway. It's a nice looking game sure but it didn't blow me away or anything. I always hated how Marcus skin looked like he used to have super acne or something.
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
It looks good, but I still think Uncharted looks better. Haven't played MGS4 so I can't say anything about that.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
You had a good point until you deliberately chose the worst screenshot in existance.
Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ichigo_Ban_Kai
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts
DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.
LagSwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LagSwitch
Member since 2008 • 529 Posts

Uncharted blew GOW out of the water.

Lems were just too scared to accept it.

There were hardly any jaggies or dull textures.

The character models were superb.

And the animations were amazing.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Yes.

its so overrated in graphics by lemms its sad. and yeah play it again the textures are not even great.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.Ichigo_Ban_Kai

yes it does, it is a screenshot of the game. Just like alot of MGS4s textures look like trash if you look at them close-up.

Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Ur pic is not how the real game looks, me thinks, heres a pic i got from ign

ALTAIR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ALTAIR360
Member since 2006 • 1408 Posts

geow1 still looks better then mgs4 imo

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Gears was out in 2006, MGS4 2008.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I really don't see it that way and I'm not even gonna look at the screen. I have the game and I know what it looks like. It looks great.
Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ichigo_Ban_Kai

[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.Englandfc1966

Yes, u have a point, but according to many (like the guy who posted a brushed up screen shot above u) GeOW 1 beats mgs4 and uncharted which i now see, is a blatant lie.

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts
[QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]

[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Yes, u have a point, but according to many (like the guy who posted a brushed up screen shot above u) GeOW 1 beats mgs4 and uncharted which i now see, is a blatant lie.

or an OPINION, just like you're own.

Ichigo_Ban_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ichigo_Ban_Kai
[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"][QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]

[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.marklarmer

or an OPINION, just like you're own.

Crap, its the OPINION card:D But ur right, all i wana know is if that pic he posted is in game, cuz i doubt it, otherwise it would give crysis a run for its money.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Ichigo_Ban_Kai

his head doesn't really look that different, other then that he isn't in light. :?

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 excelR83

You had a good point until you deliberately chose the worst screenshot in existance.Ninja-Hippo

I just chose the only one I could find that showed the actual game being played at the angle you see it from when you play it. I was also trying to illustrate my point about his square neck and jaggy elbows, because I was astonished at how bad they looked when I played it the other day. Obviously I couldn't find a screenshot with either of those (that marketing/PR guy would be fired), but the one I chose sort of looks square. Play the first level again, you will see the neck/elbow atrocities against man that I am talking about.

Find me a better screen and I'll post that up too, I really am not trying to be biased.

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IgorVitaly
Member since 2008 • 1135 Posts

I dont see how this is any better....

or this...

or this...

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]

[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.Ichigo_Ban_Kai

So a bad screen is representative of the game, but a good one is brushed up and fake?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]You had a good point until you deliberately chose the worst screenshot in existance.excelR83

I just chose the only one I could find that showed the actual game being played at the angle you see it from when you play it. I was also trying to illustrate my point about his square neck and jaggy elbows, because I was astonished at how bad they looked when I played it the other day. Obviously I couldn't find a screenshot with either of those (that marketing/PR guy would be fired), but the one I chose sort of looks square. Play the first level again, you will see the neck/elbow atrocities against man that I am talking about.

Find me a better screen and I'll post that up too, I really am not trying to be biased.

Yet you know as well as i do that the game looks much better, and that that screen isnt representative of it at all.

sdu_1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sdu_1111
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts

Ichigo_Ban_Kai

o.o ... the pic u posted has the "Marcus' square neck, his jaggy elbow, the persistent meshy layer of "static" all over everything" that he mentioned ..

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

ALTAIR360

This is an in game picture, if I am right it's one of the first acts in the game where you end up going into the building and out to reach the bottom.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 excelR83

ALTAIR360

It takes a nice screenshot, because it's all bump-mapped textures and well-designed lighting hitting those textures in just such a way that you say Ooh shiny. Play it again, see it in motion, that is the whole point of what I am saying here.

You know those tiny little "sparkles" that the Unreal Engine gives everything in motion? Really bad in UT3 and Stranglehold, and yes, it exists in Gears too.

As I said, don't get mad, the game has been out for a year and a half. It held it's crown for a long time. It's just not the champ anymore. Play it again, don't just look at screens.

ALTAIR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ALTAIR360
Member since 2006 • 1408 Posts
[QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]

opinions are fun

MGS4 beats geow1 which i now see(looking at the screen ), is a blatant lie.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

or this...

or this...

IgorVitaly
They're all better looking than the SS in #1s post.
IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IgorVitaly

Fair comparision with the above images I posted...

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 excelR83
[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]

sdu_1111

o.o ... the pic u posted has the "Marcus' square neck, his jaggy elbow, the persistent meshy layer of "static" all over everything" that he mentioned ..

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not like you made the game or have anything to do with it.

The pic posted actually looks much worse than the one I posted, and if you can't see that, we shouldn't be having this debate.

Find me a screenshot of Marcus and Dom's arms, especially at the elbow. Having trouble finding one? There's a reason.

I don't want to get into some nitpicky war with screenshots proving my point, because they prove nothing. Play the first level again looking for graphical detail and you will see some downright atrocious textures and some pretty nasty pop-in of said textures to boot. Play the first level and try to deny that there is some pretty gnarly stuff in there for a so-called "graphics king". Some of it happens in the brief in-game cutscenes. That is where I saw the jaggy arms.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]

I really don't think you have played this game if you are really believing anything you are saying right now.

You really haven't played this game have you? :?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ninja-Hippo

It takes a nice screenshot, because it's all bump-mapped textures and well-designed lighting hitting those textures in just such a way that you say Ooh shiny. Play it again, see it in motion, that is the whole point of what I am saying here.

You know those tiny little "sparkles" that the Unreal Engine gives everything in motion? Really bad in UT3 and Stranglehold, and yes, it exists in Gears too.

As I said, don't get mad, the game has been out for a year and a half. It held it's crown for a long time. It's just not the champ anymore. Play it again, don't just look at screens.

excelR83

That is what the game looks like however. Your screen is a blurry motion shot of somebody aiming; any game looks worse close up.

Gears looks fantastic. It's still in the top five console games, easily, in terms of graphics. I dont understand the point of your thread.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

or this...

or this...

IgorVitaly
owned
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="sdu_1111"][QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]

excelR83

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not like you made the game or have anything to do with it.

The pic posted actually looks much worse than the one I posted, and if you can't see that, we shouldn't be having this debate.

Find me a screenshot of Marcus and Dom's arms, especially at the elbow. Having trouble finding one? There's a reason.

I don't want to get into some nitpicky war with screenshots proving my point, because they prove nothing. Play the first level again looking for graphical detail and you will see some downright atrocious textures and some pretty nasty pop-in of said textures to boot. Play the first level and try to deny that there is some pretty gnarly stuff in there for a so-called "graphics king". Some of it happens in the brief in-game cutscenes. That is where I saw the jaggy arms.

I'm sorry but when you are telling people to look at a character's elbow and jaw to be the deciding factor if a game looks good you completely have lost all crediability because of it.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ninja-Hippo

excelR83

If gears of war is gnarly, point me towards a game with good graphics. Seriously.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
Press your face up onto a screenshot and see jaggies ? duh?!
excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 excelR83
[QUOTE="excelR83"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]You had a good point until you deliberately chose the worst screenshot in existance.Ninja-Hippo

Yet you know as well as i do that the game looks much better, and that that screen isnt representative of it at all.

I actually mention several times that screens are representative of nothing, but if I don't post something my post is immediately invalidated for not "proving" Gears has some spotty graphics at times.

The game does look better than the bad screens some of these guys are posting, but it doesn't look as good as the one with the post-production either. PLAY THE GAME. That's all I'm saying. Fire it up and play through the first level or so, even to like the big cutscene where the chopper lands and the guy whines about you. You will find it hard to miss some of the jaggies, textures, and that "sparkle" effect too. You have to play it again to see what I mean, because when I played it over a year ago, it was so much better than the competition that all of those minor flaws and defects were totally ignored. I literally didn't notice them. Now that I have played better-looking games, and went back for another Gears excursion, I noticed that the graphics are really not that hot anymore, and people still calling it the graphics king are blind or they just haven't played a game since Gears.

The game looks much better than that screen at times, at others it looks worse. Please just humor me and play the first level over, see if you notice what I am talking about.

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IgorVitaly

IgorVitaly

THIS

Avatar image for RandomWarrior69
RandomWarrior69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 RandomWarrior69
Member since 2007 • 1649 Posts
wow.....this just makes me want to say, the graphics for Gears of War are amazing :). I mentioned it ! Oh no im in trouble now lulz
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

gears6

gears5

gears4

gears1

gears

Looks better than MGS4.

Avatar image for SystemShockOwnz
SystemShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SystemShockOwnz
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="IgorVitaly"]

IgorVitaly

THIS

Quoting yourself. And I'm sure most of us can see it in motion.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"][QUOTE="Englandfc1966"]

[QUOTE="Ichigo_Ban_Kai"]DOes it really look like that? Cuz if it does, thats trash compared to mGS4.xscrapzx

I really don't think you have played this game if you are really believing anything you are saying right now.

You really haven't played this game have you? :?

Yeah he's acting like this screenshot was the first image of Gears he's ever seen.
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
[QUOTE="IgorVitaly"][QUOTE="IgorVitaly"]

SystemShockOwnz

THIS

BioshockOwnz's dad?

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

If you want people to stop mentioning gears and graphics then STOP making new threads about it.

IgorVitaly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IgorVitaly
[QUOTE="IgorVitaly"][QUOTE="IgorVitaly"]

SystemShockOwnz

THIS

I will quote it again later for a refreshment. ;)

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 excelR83
[QUOTE="excelR83"]

Ninja-Hippo

If gears of war is gnarly, point me towards a game with good graphics. Seriously.

I said "there is some pretty gnarly stuff in there for a graphics king". I didn't say the whole game was ugly. It just has it's moments, and as I said that "sparkle" is just sickening. I hated it in UT3 for the PS3 and I hate it in Gears.

Good graphics? Uncharted. Metal Gear Solid 4. Crysis. World in Conflict. Ratchet & Clank even manages to avoid the screen tear, FR dips and occasional jaggy that GeOW suffers from, though it isn't trying to be "realistic" and thus has an easier job. PGR4. GRID. MLB The Show. Call of Duty 4. Mass Effect. Ace Combat 5. Motorstorm. I'm not saying they are better than Gears (except for MGS and Uncharted, those two are obvious), but they look great, so am I still allowed to have an opinion?

Btw can someone identify that "sparkle"? I think it's lack of anti-aliasing on small, intricate textures, such as a chain-link fence, mesh, gravel. Unreal Engine is the biggest perpetrator of this sparkle.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying Gears suddenly looks like ass. I am saying that it has shown it's age, and the only people who realistically believe that it's still the best probably haven't played it in a long time. Pop it in and see what I'm talking about.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 excelR83

gears6

gears5

gears4

gears1

gears

Looks better than MGS4.

BioShockOwnz

Yeah, your credibility has always been top-notch, and I'm sure a blanket statement like that helps. Gears is super outdated now, and it's time you figured it out.

You're still living in denial about GTA4.

Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 Haku_Ryushi
Member since 2004 • 1241 Posts

MGS4 definitely looks better than Gears 1. For those of you who think Gears 1 looks better here you go.

Gears of War

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Yeah, your credibility has always been top-notch, and I'm sure a blanket statement like that helps. Gears is super outdated now, and it's time you figured it out.

excelR83

Do you own an Xbox 360? Proof? I'll provide proof I own every system, as I've already done numerous times. I want to make sure you have the credibility to constantly bash Xbox 360, so you must own one, right?

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts

GeOW is still one of the best looking games to date. It may not be the graphics king, but it deserves to be used in topics all about top-notch graphics.

Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Haku_Ryushi
[QUOTE="excelR83"]Yeah, your credibility has always been top-notch, and I'm sure a blanket statement like that helps. Gears is super outdated now, and it's time you figured it out.

BioShockOwnz

Do you own an Xbox 360? Proof? I'll provide proof I own every system, as I've already done numerous times. I want to make sure you have the credibility to constantly bash Xbox 360, so you must own one, right?

This guy claims he owns every system and posts in every thread his "proof" that he has all 3 systems. Also bashes MGS4 and PS3 all the time.

Haku_Ryushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Haku_Ryushi
[QUOTE="excelR83"]Yeah, your credibility has always been top-notch, and I'm sure a blanket statement like that helps. Gears is super outdated now, and it's time you figured it out.

BioShockOwnz

This guy claims he owns every system and posts in every thread his "proof" that he has all 3 systems. Also bashes MGS4 and PS3 all the time.