Stop buying short games just rent them

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts
I always run into people recomending someone to buy short games with very little or no replay value. Just rent them and save yourself the money. Uncharted, Fable, Heavenly Sword, are all rentals. I can't see purchaseing a game with 10 hours or less of gameplay. Yeah the games have thier little extra's but if a game costs $60 are they realy worth it. If you rent it for $5 are the extras realy worth the $55 if the game costs $60. Rent the game and if you feel you must play it again rent it again your still saving. In the end maybe it will send a message to developers poeple arent gonna pay full price for half a game.
deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deathtoallgods
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
The problem with your theory is that most developers are including multiplayer nowadays and adding a lot of value that way. Otherwise I agree with you.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts
The problem with your theory is that most developers are including multiplayer nowadays and adding a lot of value that way. Otherwise I agree with you.deathtoallgods
I never mentioned games with multiplayer did I?
Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
those games you mentioned wernt short for me or other people as they took me awhile to do as i dont rush my games like so many people do
arachosia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 arachosia
Member since 2003 • 1647 Posts

In theory, it would be smart to just sign up for GameFly and rent everything except the games you know you are going to play the hell out of. But I'm a bit of a collector so I like owning them. Still, I feel like an idiot for owning so many games that I know I will never play again. Can't bring myself to sell them though....

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I always run into people recomending someone to buy short games with very little or no replay value. Just rent them and save yourself the money. Uncharted, Fable, Heavenly Sword, are all rentals. I can't see purchaseing a game with 10 hours or less of gameplay. Yeah the games have thier little extra's but if a game costs $60 are they realy worth it. If you rent it for $5 are the extras realy worth the $55 if the game costs $60. Rent the game and if you feel you must play it again rent it again your still saving. In the end maybe it will send a message to developers poeple arent gonna pay full price for half a game.jdc6305

Movies end in 2 hours or less. Don't buy them.

Just rent.

Why buy Music CD's?

The Internet allows us to do other things...

You can pretty much make your arguement for anything.

The way I look at it is this :

If I love a game/Movie/Music/Book, I want my money to go to the devs/Artist/Author so they can keep making the kind of entertainment I WANT.

I am shaping the games of Tomorrow, and all you renters are just playing what we BUYERS are supporting.

I'm voting with my dollars. I have to love it, but that's how it is.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
Renting games isn't very hot in sweden so I must buy them
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9563 Posts
I borrow short games. Even better ;)
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts
Well... I tend not to play through my games at light speed and will often be playing through various games at a given time. I don't really like feeling as though I HAVE to dedicate my 2/3 days of rental to beating a game, i'd rather take things nice and slow. Plus, there are a number of short games that I personally love to bits (Ico, Uncharted, God of War) that I want to keep hold of should I ever feel like playing through them again.
sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

I would never recommend someone to rent a game that deserve to be braught even if they are short... the developers deserve it and the gamer deservers to play it through more than once.

But most games these days have a MP and or have unlockable content or multiple endings.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

i always buy my games

i like to keep a collection .. there are loads of games that i'll prob never play again but i still keep them

good example is Luigi's Mansion .. i bought it with my GC, then finished it and sold it

i eventually decided that i wanted it again, and bought it again a year or so later .. really cheap, £5 preowned

since them, if i've liked a game i won't sell it

and i generally don't rent beccause Blockbuster here is pretty rubbish when it comes to game rentals, and i'm too lazy to try anywhere else

plus, i don't like to be rushed when playing a game .. uncharted was a short game but it took me about a two weeks of playing here and there

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sadikovic

i always buy my games

i like to keep a collection .. there are loads of games that i'll prob never play again but i still keep them

good example is Luigi's Mansion .. i bought it with my GC, then finished it and sold it

i eventually decided that i wanted it again, and bought it again a year or so later .. really cheap, £5 preowned

since them, if i've liked a game i won't sell it

and i generally don't rent beccause Blockbuster here is pretty rubbish when it comes to game rentals, and i'm too lazy to try anywhere else

plus, i don't like to be rushed when playing a game .. uncharted was a short game but it took me about a two weeks of playing here and there

akif22

Precisly what happened to me except it was Metroid Prime and the week later after selling it I got back from work and really wanted to play some Metroid Prime and no other game at that moment was good enough... I had to go back to Croydon and get it back from XELECTRICAL.

Thats exactly the type of gamer I am even if I have the best game ever made in my collection if I get the urge to go and play some Shadowrun thats it I have to play it and no amount of GTA4 greatness will change my mind.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
I like to purchase games.
StarRockerGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 StarRockerGuy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I'm too lazy to rent games.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Yeah, rent short games so the devs never make any money back. That way they won't make short games, just really long ones with jack all content :roll:.

Rentals and the second hand game market have more effect on developers than piracy ever will. Who cares though right? As long as you get it cheap.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

I'd go so far as to recommend that no one buy a game you can beat! Unless your are a crazed fan of a series, the lilelihood that you will play that title again is slim.

But something can be said for a gamer supporting his/her console.

To each his/her own.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sadikovic

I'd go so far as to recommend that no one buy a game you can beat! Unless your are a crazed fan of a series, the lilelihood that you will play that title again is slim.

To each his/her own.

The_Crucible

What?... I have games in the 10's that I have complete more than once and Im sure im not the only one.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

In theory, it would be smart to just sign up for GameFly and rent everything except the games you know you are going to play the hell out of. But I'm a bit of a collector so I like owning them. Still, I feel like an idiot for owning so many games that I know I will never play again. Can't bring myself to sell them though....

arachosia
I'm a bit of both. I use Gamefly for short games like CoD 4, Halo 3, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, etc. then I buy them later when they are dirt cheap. The only games I usually buy up front are rpg's.
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
Why? I sometimes prefer short game which leave you satisfied like Uncharted, it was a great game and didn't go on and on, unlike GTA4 which was quite long and I was feeling forced to finish it, Games like Uncharted I've completed 3 times due to it being very fun but GTA4 I will never want to start from the beginning and complete it again.
spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts

Well... I tend not to play through my games at light speed and will often be playing through various games at a given time. I don't really like feeling as though I HAVE to dedicate my 2/3 days of rental to beating a game, i'd rather take things nice and slow. Plus, there are a number of short games that I personally love to bits (Ico, Uncharted, God of War) that I want to keep hold of should I ever feel like playing through them again.TheLordHimself

Exactly how I play, I have 4-5 games that I am playing right now and I work 45 hours a week so it kinda sucks to have a time frame on playing them. Yah there is gamefly but I would feel that I am wasting my money if it takes me a couple months to beat 1-2 games.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

To each his/her own.

sadikovic

What?... I have games in the 10's that I have complete more than once and Im sure im not the only one.

I exaggerated with the "crazed fan" part.

But, dude. You may not be alone in collecting games but you sure aren't the norm. Not in the real world.

I've been gaming for many years. I have done the "buy games" thing. I have had many games and most of them sat because I was always playing the newest titles. It's like DVD movies (which I stopped buying). I have 75 movies or so and I never watch any of them. Well, I rarely pull one out.

I think as you grow older and learn more about the value of money, purchasing your every game gets ludicrous.

I get it if you're a collector. I do. But, again, you are not the norm.

gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts
Uncharted was worth my 60$.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]I always run into people recomending someone to buy short games with very little or no replay value. Just rent them and save yourself the money. Uncharted, Fable, Heavenly Sword, are all rentals. I can't see purchaseing a game with 10 hours or less of gameplay. Yeah the games have thier little extra's but if a game costs $60 are they realy worth it. If you rent it for $5 are the extras realy worth the $55 if the game costs $60. Rent the game and if you feel you must play it again rent it again your still saving. In the end maybe it will send a message to developers poeple arent gonna pay full price for half a game.SolidTy

Just rent.

Why buy Music CD's?

If I love a game/Movie/Music/Book, I want my money to go to the devs/Artist/Author so they can keep making the kind of entertainment I WANT.

I am shaping the games of Tomorrow, and all you renters are just playing what we BUYERS are supporting.

Amen!

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NielsNL

Renting games isn't very hot in sweden so I must buy themCyberfairy

But the women are, and that's worth much more.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sadikovic
[QUOTE="sadikovic"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

To each his/her own.

The_Crucible

But, dude. You may not be alone in collecting games but you sure aren't the norm. Not in the real world.

I've been gaming for many years. I have done the "buy games" thing. I have had many games and most of them sat because I was always playing the newest titles. It's like DVD movies (which I stopped buying). I have 75 movies or so and I never watch any of them. Well, I rarely pull one out.

I think as you grow older and learn more about the value of money, purchasing your every game gets ludicrous.

Im 34... :|

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NielsNL
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="sadikovic"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

To each his/her own.

sadikovic

Pwnt! :LOL:

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
TC maybe you should start playing games on hardest difficulty instead of the easiest setting.
The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="sadikovic"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

To each his/her own.

sadikovic

And, again, you are NOT the norm.
Avatar image for Doctor-Salvador
Doctor-Salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Doctor-Salvador
Member since 2008 • 681 Posts
I only buy used games.
FindRb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FindRb
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts
Same in Finland.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Yes sir... :(

Just beciase a game is shorter it dies not mean its not worth the money. uncharted is worth full price as its a great game. all you are doing buying rentals is making great developers have less money for future games, meaning they will be worse.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

I buy games since I like to bounce around games and play many at any given time. Renting is a bad value for me.

If a game is shorter or iffy, I wait until its around $20 or less. No big deal.

Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts

Short games are not a bad thing, they just have to have replayability. Too often the only incentive to replay a single player game is to play through the whole thing in a Panda outfit... Wow thats really exiting!!

Look at Goldeneye as an example of how to make a game worth the ££ or $$. Even without multiplayer, the objectives become more complex on higher difficlties. Its not just you take less damage/they take more. The most important thing however are the cheats you can unlock by completing challenges. It took months to unlock them all. (invincibility was next to impossible.)

Actually, this is why IMO achievments are rubbish. Why not get something cool unlocked as well as the pointless gamerscores? (but thats another thread maybe!!)

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NielsNL

Short games are not a bad thing, they just have to have replayability. Too often the only incentive to replay a single player game is to play through the whole thing in a Panda outfit... Wow thats really exiting!!

Look at Goldeneye as an example of how to make a game worth the ££ or $$. Even without multiplayer, the objectives become more complex on higher difficlties. Its not just you take less damage/they take more. The most important thing however are the cheats you can unlock by completing challenges. It took months to unlock them all. (invincibility was next to impossible.)

Actually, this is why IMO achievments are rubbish. Why not get something cool unlocked as well as the pointless gamerscores? (but thats another thread maybe!!)

Bazfrag

That brings back memories... of the urge to throw my N64 trough the window. (I did manage in the end though 8))

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
u dont have to tell me i basically only rent ive bought 2 games in 2 years brawl and NBA2k8 bothe last close to a year i have gamefly account so i really buy games
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
that is all your opinion. And just like you are entitles to your opinion so are people so they can buy whatever they want. I own all those games excapt fable and they all took me around a week to beat. Some of use only have 2-3 hours a day to play because of this thing called, a life.
d_40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 d_40
Member since 2005 • 966 Posts

vad fan gör du här din swedish köttbulle

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts

I usually go that route.

But I'm not the type of person to buy MGS4 and beat it one day. That would make me feel like I wasted my money.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 epic_pets
Member since 2008 • 5598 Posts
Thats why some people take their time with games.
HermitFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HermitFTW
Member since 2008 • 51 Posts
I always run into people recomending someone to buy short games with very little or no replay value. Just rent them and save yourself the money. Uncharted, Fable, Heavenly Sword, are all rentals. I can't see purchaseing a game with 10 hours or less of gameplay. Yeah the games have thier little extra's but if a game costs $60 are they realy worth it. If you rent it for $5 are the extras realy worth the $55 if the game costs $60. Rent the game and if you feel you must play it again rent it again your still saving. In the end maybe it will send a message to developers poeple arent gonna pay full price for half a game.jdc6305
game devs will hate you, but it true i rent singleplayer games no point in buying them, unless its somehting really good or has a lot of replay value
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
There are plenty of people that still enjoy these "short" games. Most games used to be this length or shorter with a lot less replay value. If you don't fancy them, then YOU just rent them. As for others, let them continue to support the devs that make such great games. If everyone only rented as you suggest, then the devs would have no incentive to make the games at all. Personally, I play games more than once regardless... no matter how short, if I enjoyed it the first time I'm going to want to go back through it again, especially if there are goodies to unlock.
CubanBlunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CubanBlunt
Member since 2005 • 2025 Posts

[QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]The problem with your theory is that most developers are including multiplayer nowadays and adding a lot of value that way. Otherwise I agree with you.jdc6305

Well, Halo 3 is 5-7 hours, Call of Duty 5 hours, so are these rentals? Tell them to stop making short games.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
in Norway you will find a hard time renting games. but since we are the wealthiest country in the world I dont really have a problem buying the games I want
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

The only games I want to buy anyone are those equipped with multiplayer. I bought Mass Effect, Assassins Creed (blows), and MGS4. I rented Silent Hill Origins, Uncharted, Bully, Bioshock, and many more.

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
The shortest game I bought in recent memory is probably NGB. I use GF to rent all those short games that I wanna play. Right now I'm on NG2 and it doesn't seem that short. I've had it since day 1 and still can't find the time to complete it. Almost done though. I'm on CH 14. I think I might give it another go around to get somethings I might have missed.
jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts
the only games that are really long are rpg's. i just bought mgs4 and borrowed my friends ps3 this week and beat mgs4 in 18 hours and 30 minutes on normal. almost 9 of which were cutscenes lol. no game is really as long as they say it is. mass effect was supposed to be 50 hours long. you can quickrun through it in about 15 hours. if you do all the sidequests it ups it up to around 40. developers add multiplayer because videogames are a lot harder to make than movies because with a movie you've got around 3-4 hours of storyline. we gamers aren't going to pay 60 bucks for something that will last that long. it's hard to come up with a deep involving storyline that lasts more than 10-12 hours.
Hesteziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hesteziel
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Just rent.

Why buy Music CD's?

SolidTy

I think exactly the same

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

[QUOTE="jdc6305"][QUOTE="deathtoallgods"]The problem with your theory is that most developers are including multiplayer nowadays and adding a lot of value that way. Otherwise I agree with you.CubanBlunt

Well, Halo 3 is 5-7 hours, Call of Duty 5 hours, so are these rentals? Tell them to stop making short games.

He's talking about games without multiplayer.....Notice how those games he listed were singleplayer only and he said little to no replay value ?
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]I always run into people recomending someone to buy short games with very little or no replay value. Just rent them and save yourself the money. Uncharted, Fable, Heavenly Sword, are all rentals. I can't see purchaseing a game with 10 hours or less of gameplay. Yeah the games have thier little extra's but if a game costs $60 are they realy worth it. If you rent it for $5 are the extras realy worth the $55 if the game costs $60. Rent the game and if you feel you must play it again rent it again your still saving. In the end maybe it will send a message to developers poeple arent gonna pay full price for half a game.SolidTy

Movies (including DVD) doesn't cost $60

Just rent.

Why buy Music CD's?

They cost just $15

Well, that's your opinion and O respect it, but i don't like paying $60 for 10 hours of gameplay w/out replay value an no (good) multiplayer. For example, for Army of Two. Just a rent.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
i want to buy heavenly sword because there is this one scene where bohan makes a really funny expression but still i'll wait till it's 20 bucks