Start up the doomsday clock for Sony

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlackWolf-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BlackWolf-666
Member since 2007 • 736 Posts

It's SEGA repeating itself, SONY are having to lose many staff to cut costs as the nintendo Wii are outselling the PS3's 5 to 1 even though their are shortages of Wii's and almost every hardcore gamer has at least played the 360.

I've set my doomsday clock at 2008 but of course some of you are going to attack me saying that SONY know what they are doing. So be it but please give a reason, I'll keep changing the doomsday clock to as many positive and netgative comments there are about SONY, k?

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

A doomsday machine, you say?

I could help with that...

BlackWolf-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BlackWolf-666

No need for that, SONY are making there own!

Doomsday clock Dec 2007

RuntyGorillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RuntyGorillia
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
lol, 5 to 1, i feel sorry for all thoses poor suckers who bought a ps----- wait, why do i care, hell to sony!!!!!!!
BlackWolf-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlackWolf-666
Doomsday clock Nov 2007
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

It's SEGA repeating itself, SONY are having to lose many staff to cut costs as the nintendo Wii are outselling the PS3's 5 to 1 even though their are shortages of Wii's and almost every hardcore gamer has at least played the 360.

I've set my doomsday clock at 2008 but of course some of you are going to attack me saying that SONY know what they are doing. So be it but please give a reason, I'll keep changing the doomsday clock to as many positive and netgative comments there are about SONY, k?

BlackWolf-666

Which one of the 3 do you own?

A)

B)

or C)

Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

BlackWolf-666

The doomsday clock was set in spring 06. You know....when the PS3 was "supposed" to launch. :shock:

miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
Got banz0rd huh?
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Socrates88
Member since 2007 • 1655 Posts
Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute.
twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts
Level 1...weird.
Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Socrates88
[QUOTE="BlackWolf-666"]

Magical_Zebra

The doomsday clock was set in spring 06. You know....when the PS3 was "supposed" to launch. :shock:

The biggest ownage will be when you have a PS3 in your living room some day, and you'll be to a shame to admit that you do.

SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SkyCastleDan
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

I too have little faith in the Potentialstation 3's ability to survive for more than another year or so. Uncharted, Lair and Heavenly Sword need to pick up the slack before MGS4 and FFXIII are released. If the PS3 can't break 6-7 million units worldwide by the end of this year, Sony will certainly be in trouble. They need a big Christmas like the 360 got last year. Can Uncharted do for the PS3 what Gears of War did for 360? Only time will tell, but I have my doubts....

choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
OMG dude SONY is sooo dead ...

I mean 60% of Nintendo Sales and Marketing teams just quit and SONY fired a whole 50 employees world wide .... wow SONY is realli gonna feel this one ...
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Magical_Zebra
[QUOTE="Magical_Zebra"][QUOTE="BlackWolf-666"]

Socrates88

The biggest ownage will be when you have a PS3 in your living room some day, and you'll be to a shame to admit that you do.

Socrates I wouldnt have a problem admitting it. See theres only one problem with your statement. For me to get a ps3 in my house, it would have to have games that I cant play on the 360 or the PC. And it would have to have games that I actually want. And no....Im not a MGS, FF or "Teh Killzone" fan.......... :shock:

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Socrates88
At worst the PS3 will end up like Nintendo with a heavy dosage of 1st party titles and little 3rd party support. Still, it will be a great system with it's 1st party games.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute. Socrates88

Analysts. Economists. Sytem Wars has it all.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fuzzysquash

I too have little faith in the Potentialstation 3's ability to survive for more than another year or so. Uncharted, Lair and Heavenly Sword need to pick up the slack before MGS4 and FFXIII are released. If the PS3 can't break 6-7 million units worldwide by the end of this year, Sony will certainly be in trouble. They need a big Christmas like the 360 got last year. Can Uncharted do for the PS3 what Gears of War did for 360? Only time will tell, but I have my doubts....

SkyCastleDan

Why does it come down to "survival"? :?

If the PS3 still sells sluggishly for another year, they'll just lower the price. It's not like if sales don't pick up....*poof*...the PS3 is gone, and Sony's just going to throw their hands up and forfeit the billions of dollars they've invested into the home console business.

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Socrates88

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute. Bread_or_Decide

lol don't forget game programmers!

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute. Socrates88

And hardware experts.

We even get some philosophers.

jack_russel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jack_russel
Member since 2004 • 6544 Posts
2012, when the ps4 comes out.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts

At worst the PS3 will end up like Nintendo with a heavy dosage of 1st party titles and little 3rd party support. Still, it will be a great system with it's 1st party games. Socrates88
Don't compare it to Nintendo, Sony isn't half the developer that nintendo is. ~_~

proskater40000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 proskater40000
Member since 2006 • 640 Posts
I think it'll last until the next gen of consoles comes out. If they don't get their act together, they won't have enough money to make a new one, but I don't think they'll just stop making ps3s
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nex_Ownage

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute. Bread_or_Decide

It really doesn't take an analyst or an econimist to see how ****'d up sony's situation is atm. :?
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]At worst the PS3 will end up like Nintendo with a heavy dosage of 1st party titles and little 3rd party support. Still, it will be a great system with it's 1st party games. Nex_Ownage

Don't compare it to Nintendo, Sony isn't half the developer that nintendo is. ~_~

You mean that Sony has better first party games? Yeah Nintendo can't compare.

I think it'll last until the next gen of consoles comes out. If they don't get their act together, they won't have enough money to make a new one, but I don't think they'll just stop making ps3sproskater40000

You have to understand that Sony will always have money. You can't bring down the biggest electronics company in the world.

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Socrates88

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]At worst the PS3 will end up like Nintendo with a heavy dosage of 1st party titles and little 3rd party support. Still, it will be a great system with it's 1st party games. Nex_Ownage

That was fanboyish.

Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Magical_Zebra
[QUOTE="SkyCastleDan"]

fuzzysquash

If the PS3 still sells sluggishly for another year, they'll just lower the price.

How the hell you gonna lower the price when they havent even started turning a profit? They are already at a loss with a $600 price tag. You think slashing the price by $100 is gonna help? Was it the Atari Jaguar or the 3DO that had that insane price tag back in like 94?

Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Magical_Zebra

You have to understand that Sony will always have money. You can't bring down the biggest electronics company in the world.NobuoMusicMaker

Sony may always have money, doesnt mean their gaming division will.. :shock:

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Socrates88
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="SkyCastleDan"]

Magical_Zebra

If the PS3 still sells sluggishly for another year, they'll just lower the price.

How the hell you gonna lower the price when they havent even started turning a profit? They are already at a loss with a $600 price tag. You think slashing the price by $100 is gonna help? Was it the Atari Jaguar or the 3DO that had that insane price tag back in like 94?

"They get there profit from the software" I'm sure you heard this many times.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fuzzysquash

Magical_Zebra

Sony does not need to start turning a profit on the PS3 before dropping its price.

They just have to constrain the losses such that their marketshare can expand to a sufficient degree so that gains can be recouped in the future.

What this means, of course, is that production costs must be decreased. This is being done by shifting from a 90mm to a 65mm chip, and dropping the Emotion Engine chip and switching the software backwards compatibility.

Thus, Sony does have room to drop the price. And combined with better software as time goes by--yes, it will help tremendously.

And people tend to forget that the PS3 is selling pretty much at the same rate as the 360 was selling at this stage in its lifetime.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

And people tend to forget that the PS3 is selling pretty much at the same rate as the 360 was selling at this stage in its lifetime.

fuzzysquash

That's not strictly true. The PS3 is selling at a similar rate to the 360 if you look at total systems sold to this point but if you look at the current rate of sales of the PS3 over the last few months and compare it to how the 360 was selling this time last year it is quite a bit less.

Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nex_Ownage
[QUOTE="Nex_Ownage"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]At worst the PS3 will end up like Nintendo with a heavy dosage of 1st party titles and little 3rd party support. Still, it will be a great system with it's 1st party games. NobuoMusicMaker

What part of "Sony isn't half the developer that Nintendo is" you didn't get?

Nintendo re-invented 3D games with SM64, created rumble and introduced analoge sticks...all that during their first "failure".

And on their second? They got 3 goty's and the most criticilally acclaimed game of last gen.

Now during that time, what the hell did sony do? :|

jack_russel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jack_russel
Member since 2004 • 6544 Posts
[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"][QUOTE="Nex_Ownage"]

What part of "Sony isn't half the developer that Nintendo is" you didn't get?

Nintendo re-invented 3D games with SM64, created rumble and introduced analoge stick..all that during their first "failure".

And on their second? They got 3 goty's and the most criticilally acclaimed game of last gen.

Now during that time, what the hell did sony do? :|

they out sold nintendo....*pa-da-tiss*
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nex_Ownage
[QUOTE="Nex_Ownage"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]At worst the PS3 will end up like Nintendo with a heavy dosage of 1st party titles and little 3rd party support. Still, it will be a great system with it's 1st party games. Socrates88

That was fanboyish.

Eh, maybe...

But i'm just sick of hearing of how Sony is suppose to be the next Nintendo just because their system isn't selling..

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

cakeorrdeath

That's not strictly true. The PS3 is selling at a similar rate to the 360 if you look at total systems sold to this point but if you look at the current rate of sales of the PS3 over the last few months and compare it to how the 360 was selling this time last year it is quite a bit less.

If this graph is accurate, their sales rates are very similar.

Though I concede that there has been a sharp decline in sales since launch.

Socrates88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Socrates88
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

cakeorrdeath

That sounds like a case of Sony's average is their worst.

hotdaisy18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hotdaisy18
Member since 2004 • 1909 Posts
It's hard to even declare a winner, let alone say that a system is doomed for life. There's a lot of would ifs involved that people tend to put aside in their fanboyish minds. Oh well. This is System Wars. Home of the Fanboy. It's nice to see a few though with their head on straight when it comes to these topics. The rest are just dumb dumbs.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

fuzzysquash

If this graph is accurate, their sales rates are very similar.

Though I concede that there has been a sharp decline in sales since launch.

To me it looks like a much shallower gradient on the PS3s graph. But lets look at what we know:

US NPD:

April07 80k for PS3

May 07 going to be less than 100k for PS3

April06 295k for 360

May 06 221k for 360

Japan Media Create

around 40k per month in April and May 07

around 8k per month in April and May 06

Euro known figures

March 23rd-26th 165k units sold in two days.

End of March, nearly 600k sold through to consumer.

April 17th nearly 800k total sold through. (Link)

End of May, 1 million units reached.

So, between April 17th and the end of March that's about 200k units and 66-67k units per week. From April 17th to the end of May that's about 6 weeks to generate another 200k units sold, averaging 33k units per week.

joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute. Danm_999

And hardware experts.

LOL!!!so true...

Carmilla31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Carmilla31
Member since 2005 • 3335 Posts

Magical_Zebra

It was the Atari Jaguar. It went from like $250 to $100 in a few months. :o
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Muahahaha Doomesday has begun!!!

Avatar image for Jin_the_samurai
Jin_the_samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jin_the_samurai
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts
It might sound good that current rate of sales of the PS3 over the last few months and compare it to how the 360 was selling is very similar but than how will the PS3 catch up with the 360? I know somebody will say oh but the killerapps during the holidays will help it sell more, but also will the 360 have killer apps and sell more.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Magical_Zebra
[QUOTE="Magical_Zebra"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="SkyCastleDan"]

Carmilla31

It was the Atari Jaguar. It went from like $250 to $100 in a few months. :o

If I recall correctly, it didnt make through a full year.

jbuckley15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jbuckley15
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts

The only thing that will bring Sony from the depths:

Shadow of the Colossus 2

ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
[QUOTE="Socrates88"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="Socrates88"]Another PS3 is doom thread. We have more analysts in SW create by the minute. Danm_999

And hardware experts.

"What are you? Some kind of philosiphizer?" - White Goodman

Mandingo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mandingo101
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
remember guys nasos got his greg_splicer account banned, so i think we just met his new incarnation.
istayonfireboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 istayonfireboy
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts
make this thread in 2009 starting............................................NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
lol at the people in here who think the ps3 is the only thing sony deal in...................:lol:
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts
Doomsday Clock FTW!
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Doomsday Clock FTW!ReverseCycology
The clock is ticking on this thread. Well, its a good thing for sony they don't just rely on video games to make their money.
casey7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 casey7672
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts
You people act like unless Sony sells more PS3's then their company fails. That's like saying if George Bush fails then the USA fails. Sony has movie division, TV shows, they make TV's, DVD players, BR players, and all kinds of electronics imagineable. The game division is just a side thing for the company.