Starcraft 2 graphics are not outdated, especially for an RTS.

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

Console gamers who have been calling Sc2 as ugly should do a bit more research imo.

The engine is extremely flexible: being able to render two radically different perspective and excels at both. Most engine will go into halt.

It has all the goodies of modern graphics: dynamics light, SSAO, depth of field (all of which Dawn of War 2 doesn't have, though Dow2 has more high-poly models). It has true HDR (not fake one), specular maps (something Dawn of War 2 and Halo Wars don't have)

Also, in Sc2's, Debris and broken parts cast shadows while in motion.

Each unit lighting affects its environment and other units. Imagine having hundreds of units simultaneously doing that. Most engine will crash, so Sc2 is pretty technical.

Sc2's on ultra will not able to render smoothly on consoles.

http://www.geforce.com/#/GamesandApps/games/starcraftii/description

http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/S2008-Filion-McNaughton-StarCraftII.pdf

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Hmm? I've never seen anyone call Starcraft 2 ugly. If that were to happen you wouldn't have to argue the game's graphics but the guy's sight.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ravenchrome

Hmm? I've never seen anyone call Starcraft 2 ugly. If that were to happen you wouldn't have to argue the game's graphics but the guy's sight.

N30F3N1X

I remember a thread Halo Wars vs Starcraft 2 graphics. What a joke. Consoles struggle with not having many units on screen, let alone with SSAO, dynamic lighting, etc.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

actually i argue that the visuals are quite childishly done.. in fact ever since warcraft III ive thought this and diablo 3 appears to be the same way.. the way games have looked since and including warcraft III has been a primary reason for me to not give them much credit anymore.. warcraft II and diablo 2 were really good in the art department with alot of nice set pieces.. i havent seen that in warcraft III onwards.. just ugly textures and poorly formed shapes and obscure faces.. like sure sc2's cutscene work is good but the game itself visually doesnt appeal to me..

a game needs to artisitcally look real to me .. WoW felt like i was playing a game set on backgrounds from childrens picture books.. not cocept art

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Starcraft 2 is a great looking game,I´ve never heard anyone call it ugly.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

actually i argue that the visuals are quite childishly done.. in fact ever since warcraft III ive thought this and diablo 3 appears to be the same way.. the way games have looked since and including warcraft III has been a primary reason for me to not give them much credit anymore.. warcraft II and diablo 2 were really good in the art department with alot of nice set pieces.. i havent seen that in warcraft III onwards.. just ugly textures and poorly formed shapes and obscure faces.. like sure sc2's cutscene work is good but the game itself visually doesnt appeal to me..

a game needs to artisitcally look real to me .. WoW felt like i was playing a game set on backgrounds from childrens picture books.. not cocept art

ionusX

The reason for the cartoony look is so that the game won't look outdated after a couple of years. Blizzard games are played for years and years after release. If they didn't go with the cartoony style it would look really old when you will compare them with future games.

That's why WOW was designed to look cartoonish. It helps it age better in looks. They will probably stick with that style for all their upcoming games.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

ionusX

I don't know about wow, but the reason starcraft 2(and warcraft 3)'s models seem to look 'childish' is due to the need for strong silhouettes on such a far camera looking down. They're meant to be pleasing to eyes and easily differentiated as entail by that perspective, sharpness and rectilinear is bad for that kind of design. Besides, most people are fine by the way diablo 3 looks right now.

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

Well, the graphics are very unimpressive, but no necessarily bad.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Only people who call it ugly are fanboys who compare Uncharted 2/Killzone 3/God of War 3/ Halo: Reach/Gears of War 2 to Starcraft 2 and then cry foal when PC gamers bring out the Crysis pictures.

supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

very true, one of the best looking rts out there. The best thing I love about it is the engines scalability, One one hand I can run it at max on pc and it'll look spectacular, while on the other hand I can run it smoothly at minimum on very, very crappy laptop.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ravenchrome

magnusm1

What do you want? Killzon 3? Really? comparing a linear FPS to an RTS. Try compare Sc2 with console RTS. Blows them away...

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

[QUOTE="magnusm1"]

Ravenchrome

What do you want? Killzon 3? Really? comparing a linear FPS to an RTS. Try compare Sc2 with console RTS. Blows them away...

why not compared it to total war :P
Slayerduckie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Slayerduckie
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts

There's an astonishing amount of detail, most of which u ll propably never see cause ur busy macroing/scouting/microing/holding off that 6pool/4gate/3rax/dropping his mineral line/sieging up ur tanks etc etc etc. Apart from the detail though, the game doesnt look outstandingly good. The graphics are just there...they are not bad, but not that great either. The real time cutscenes and the ship sequences etc etc looked stunning though. But ingame, it doesnt look better than say, red alert 3 or world in conflict.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

SC2 looks like trash when you compare to Crysis 2 :P jk

It even holds up well vs. Shougun 2

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I don't recall any Console-RTS vs PC-RTS, but visually World in Conflict and Company of Heroes blow away anything consoles have brought to the table. Both of which are praised as great games.

Starcraft's artstylle may disagree with some people, but I wouldn't call it ugly.

Mark36111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mark36111
Member since 2004 • 563 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

sleepingzzz

The reason for the cartoony look is so that the game won't look outdated after a couple of years. Blizzard games are played for years and years after release. If they didn't go with the cartoony style it would look really old when you will compare them with future games.

That's why WOW was designed to look cartoonish. It helps it age better in looks. They will probably stick with that style for all their upcoming games.

Brood War seems to have gotten along fine as far as longevity is concerned without "cartoonish" graphics.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

SC2 has no AA

thats just quite sad

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

SC2 has no AA

thats just quite sad

HaloinventedFPS

It would be sad if there was need for it. Not saying there aren't jaggies at all, but its hardly noticeable.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I never saw anyone calling SC2 graphics outdated. It has actually excellent graphics.

supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

SC2 has no AA

thats just quite sad

HaloinventedFPS

you don't really need AA. The only time I notice jaggies in the game is the menu screen with the revolving planet.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Good graphics.

But I really hate the art style. It's a pity a game like Supreme Commander 2 turned away from a more realistic approach (in Supcom1) to try to copy the Starcraft 2 style. It's even worse that SUpcom 2 turned away from its classic Total Annihilation/SUpcom1 economy to copy Starcraft's economy...

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ravenchrome

Good graphics.

But I really hate the art style. It's a pity a game like Supreme Commander 2 turned away from a more realistic approach (in Supcom1) to try to copy the Starcraft 2 style. It's even worse that SUpcom 2 turned away from its classic Total Annihilation/SUpcom1 economy to copy Starcraft's economy...

milannoir

BUt Supcom 2 is dry in terms of doodads.

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
It has no AA, which is pretty bad for any type of engine.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

SC2 has no AA

thats just quite sad

HaloinventedFPS

'cause forced aa @ 60fps is hard. (4x)

oops, fps didn't show up

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/562/sc220110501072910020.jpg

Cyburr_Police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cyburr_Police
Member since 2011 • 119 Posts

"Starcraft 2 has no AA" = "I don't know how to force AA"

It's a great looking game, particularly when you get hundreds of units fighting each other at a time.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ravenchrome

It has no AA, which is pretty bad for any type of engine.ocstew
You can force AA btw. Hey ME2 has no AA, no true HDR, dynamic lighting, SSAO...so yeah..Sc2 is terrible for having all of those but no AA.

AA is the last important thing, especially for an RTS.

(Dawn of War 2, even Retribution has no SSAO, last I recalled)

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

ionusX

opinions are great arent they....

cuz i like Blizzards games now more than ever partly because of their arts*tyle... WoW looks AMAZING when you think about when the game was released and how easily it can be run. Running WoW on ULTRA (everything maxed) is still a beautiful looking game, even in 2011.

Diablo 3 already looks WAYbetter than Diablo 2... not just technically either... artisticly also.... go back and play Diablo 2, sometimes your imagination fills in the blanks and makes you remember things better than they were. Happens to me all the time, when I remember old games, then I see them again and think "Man... I don't remember this being so ugly".

OH NOES... it haz COLORZ it beez onLy 4 da kiddiez!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts

[QUOTE="ocstew"]It has no AA, which is pretty bad for any type of engine.Ravenchrome

You can force AA btw. Hey ME2 has no AA, no true HDR, dynamic lighting, SSAO...so yeah..Sc2 is terrible for having all of those but no AA.

Actually the game doesn't look bad, but the points you listed...not really something that sets it apart from other games. SSAO is used by tons of games, AA is pretty much standard, true HDR is a good point and dynamic lighting basically means any game that has real time lighting changes.
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

imo this is beautiful

just a quick pic i took... could have gotten a better one, but I just happened to be in STV at the time.

PS. btw lvl 85 MM Hunter FTW! 17k dps approx. depending on fight

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
The thing with SC2 is, I play it on ultra on my home PC, and on lowest on my non-gaming laptop. It runs about equally well on each, but while I'm sure side by side there is an obvious difference, I don't feel there is that big one of from low to ultra while playing. So its like uber optimized, but never looks that amazing.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Starcraft II has excellent graphics. Its just that Blizzard is the greatest PC dev (along with Valve), so one could expect it to have Crysis/Metro/Stalker/Total War/Arma level of graphics at some point. Its still pretty and its ingame cutscenes, not to mention the CGI ones are gorgeous.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="ocstew"]It has no AA, which is pretty bad for any type of engine.ocstew

Actually the game doesn't look bad, but the points you listed...not really something that sets it apart from other games. SSAO is used by tons of games, AA is pretty much standard, true HDR is a good point and dynamic lighting basically means any game that has real time lighting changes.

Dynamic lighting in RTS is something different dude. Rendering hundreds of different units with dynamic light is totally different from rendering a dude, his gun, an his environment. Cry Engine 3 will crash trying to do what Sc2's engine did (hey, I am not talking about raw power here)

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ravenchrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Space_Ambient_Occlusion

NO ME2, ME, Killzone 2, and especially your FAVORITE: HALO WARS.

Hell, even Dow 2 has no SSAO.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Still looks bad.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
StarCraft 2's graphics were outdated before it was even released. To this day, Age of Empires 3 remains the best looking RTS game ever made.
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ravenchrome

StarCraft 2's graphics were outdated before it was even released. To this day, Age of Empires 3 remains the best looking RTS game ever made.dzimm
Cool.

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

[QUOTE="magnusm1"]

Ravenchrome

Why can't a RTS-game have great graphics? And killzone is a bad excample. And why are we talking about consoles all of a sudden? *Facepalm*
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
I think the game looks great.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Starcraft II has excellent graphics. Its just that Blizzard is the greatest PC dev (along with Valve), so one could expect it to have Crysis/Metro/Stalker/Total War/Arma level of graphics at some point. Its still pretty and its ingame cutscenes, not to mention the CGI ones are gorgeous.

Mozelleple112

Valve isnt a PC dev anymore, Portal 2 was a console port, invb4 Valve fanboy denys it

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

World In Conflict and Shogun 2 look a gen ahead though, DOW2 looks better in my opinion. SC2 is still an awesome looking game.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Starcraft 1-2 was never about graphics but it does not look ugly

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I was underwhelmed by Starcraft 2 graphics, especially the "ultra" texture settings, it still looked like it could have been higher resolution.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Pretty sure that looking at Blizzard games for graphics is doing it wrong!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yeah who calls Starcraft 2 ugly?

It's not the most graphically intense game, but that was by design. It is meant to run smoothly on a massive amount of systems. Though on its highest, the game looks absolutly beautiful and runs at smooth framerates. So many little details and effects, it's crazy.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

World In Conflict and Shogun 2 look a gen ahead though, DOW2 looks better in my opinion. SC2 is still an awesome looking game.

DreamCryotank

I actually think that Starcraft 2 looks better than World in Conflict. World in Conflict is a beautiful game, don't get me wrong, but it's rather rough. Maybe it's the artstyle.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

People think this looks outdated? One of the best looking rts games imo.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101805323-4

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101931920-4.jpg

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101932225-4.jpg

Avatar image for NuclearWhoppers
NuclearWhoppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NuclearWhoppers
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Starcraft 2 imo does not look like a graphic powerhouse but doesnt stop me from playing everyday

Nerkcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nerkcon
Member since 2006 • 4707 Posts

imo this is beautiful

just a quick pic i took... could have gotten a better one, but I just happened to be in STV at the time.

PS. btw lvl 85 MM Hunter FTW! 17k dps approx. depending on fight

moistsandwich

Why do you keep talking like you're in the mintority? You wanna talk about opinions yet you Blizzard fanboys shut people up all the time if we dare don't like Blizz's artstyIe :|

And why does everyone keep say stuff like "The game looks good even in 2011!" Blizzard has upgraded the engine with each expansion. People with bad PC would notice FPS drops when they went from WoW to BC and BC to WOtLK and the biggest upgrade was Wrath to Cata, it was one of the things that was hyped about Cata. And of coruse if you don't like the art styIe to begin with the game is ugly from day one.

BTW about the 'Colors are 4 kiddies!' people you guys just them blew it off without actually listening to why they were complaining.

1. Seeing it adopt a more WoWish art ****people were afraid gameplay changes will also be made to make the game more like a WoW lite. As if Blizzard was just going use Diablo 3 to make a quick extra buck for WoW.

2. Many were also upset because they want Diablo to stay a gothic low fantasy (they were upset about the more fantasy approuch from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2 aswell) and Diablo 3 looks like WoW with blood.

Not a Diablo fan but this is from what I've gathered. Its not because Diablo 3 is too bright, many of them liked Titan's Quest after all.

SajuukSW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SajuukSW
Member since 2011 • 107 Posts
The thing with SC2 is, I play it on ultra on my home PC, and on lowest on my non-gaming laptop. It runs about equally well on each, but while I'm sure side by side there is an obvious difference, I don't feel there is that big one of from low to ultra while playing. So its like uber optimized, but never looks that amazing. 110million
What? There's a huge disparity between ultra and low...like...it's completely night-and-day