Soul Calibur IV vs. Grand Theft Auto IV

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

If you've played both, which is the better video game, and why?

Debate! Argue! Agree!

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

The fact that I bult this should tell you which I plan on playing more. ;)

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Not exactly comparable, although I enjoyed SCIV more.

Both are worth playing. SC takes a lot of skill on higher levels of competitive play (online is not exactly high level, with lag and i-lag), and is very difficult to master. Button mashers can't really get anywhere against a skilled player (although they get farther than they could in previous series entries, where button mashing would fail everytime).
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I don't like fighting games so the choice is obvious....and I didn't like SCIV too much anyway

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts
I enjoyed playing GTAIV much more than SCIV because GTA has a very detailed open world to explore, Soul Calibur is another fighting game thats worth a rent, or maybe $30 at the most to buy it.
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).Truth-slayer

Soul Calibur IV got a story for each character!

Eat your heart out GTA IV :)

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
GTA IV is great, but SC IV is just as bad as SC III.
atarigrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 atarigrad
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts

Talk about a miss placed comparison. Two totally different games that can appeal to totally different people.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Saturos3091
The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).Truth-slayer

You lost to Kilik spammers? :lol:

SCIV has a story although it's poor (as is the case with all fighting games), but GTAIV's is not exactly stellar either. Considering unlockables and customization SCIV easily has more than 30 hours. Repetition is apparent in every fighting game, and GTAIV's story missions weren't exactly exciting and unique either (fetch item from point A, bring to point B for more than 60% of the game, cut and paste missions).

Really, some people don't like fighters and other people do. Fighters offer incredible multiplayer depth (locally), which can last longer than a 30+ hour singleplayer, if the length of the game is your primary worry.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Timstuff
A well balanced fighting game is the ultimate way to test skill between two gamers, which is why I love them. Soul Calibur 4 has a few balance issues, but I'm certain that they will be fixed as Namco starts issuing updates for it.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BioShockOwnz

Couldn't agree more.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Saturos3091

[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).BioShockOwnz

Couldn't agree more.

Maybe you're just not a fighting game person since all those issues are issues with every fighting game?
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts
well since GTA4 is trash SC4 wins by default, plus its a pretty enjoyable game
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Timstuff

Exactly. If you claim that people who prefer SC4 over GTA4 have bad taste, it's because you obviously don't like fighting games. If that's the case, it's that person's loss, not mine. Street Fighter II was always my favorite game to play in arcades back in the day, and to this day fighters are still one of my favorite genres. They're the biggest reason why I have my own MAME arcade machine!

^ That's my baby. :)

TheRealMC01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheRealMC01
Member since 2007 • 995 Posts
Even though GTA 4 was supposed to potentially have a ton of gameplay, i still think it's better than what SC4 has.
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i liked SCIV a LOT more than GTA IV, but comparing these two isn't even worth it. they're completely different games, though when it comes right down to which one is more fun to play, it goes to SC IV. it has that really addictive charm that fighters tend to have.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).Saturos3091

Couldn't agree more.

Maybe you're just not a fighting game person since all those issues are issues with every fighting game?

The Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter franchise are two of my most adored. Soul Calibur just isn't good. It's easily the weakest fighter in existence.

Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Iraqi_Gangster
Member since 2008 • 503 Posts
I played SC4 for 10 mins with nightmare before I got my 5th RRoD and I have to say SCIV is way better but they are both great tho.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saturos3091

The Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter franchise are two of my most adored. Soul Calibur just isn't good. It's easily the weakest fighter in existence.

BioShockOwnz

I really find Virtua Fighter to be lackluster, not in gameplay but in fun-factor and SF is great as well. I find the most enjoyable fighters to be the ones with complex gameplay, unique characters, and minor RPG aspects. The weakest fighters are the ones you can button mash in and win (Tekken and DOA).

Many people consider GTAIV to be the weakest GTA in existence too. :P
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Saturos3091
i liked SCIV a LOT more than GTA IV, but comparing these two isn't even worth it. they're completely different games, though when it comes right down to which one is more fun to play, it goes to SC IV. it has that really addictive charm that fighters tend to have.bulletsword

Says the person who mains Hilde and Amy, and I generally agree.

The unique characters made it a lot of fun for me. I really enjoyed the variety in playsty1es, although I personally hate Amy, with her high speed and multiple hit attacks/combos that are easy to execute. Amy has won 3 tournaments already surprisingly, but she isn't that great on paper, so I'm wondering how she's going to hold up in the future. I find Hilde to have an enjoyable playsty1e that doesn't have a lot of flash to it, but most of SC's characters make up for that.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Saturos3091

I really find Virtua Fighter to be lackluster, not in gameplay but in fun-factor and SF is great as well. I find the most enjoyable fighters to be the ones with complex gameplay, unique characters, and minor RPG aspects. The weakest fighters are the ones you can button mash in and win (Tekken and DOA).

Many people consider GTAIV to be the weakest GTA in existence too. :P

I think I'll believe the paid critics and the sales over the loud shouters.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Saturos3091

I think I'll believe the paid critics and the sales over the loud shouters.

BioShockOwnz

I'm hoping you're talking about my GTAIV comment since SCIV sold very well and got high reviews from most sites, but otherwise I personally find GTAIV to be the best in the series.
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
well ill take GTA4
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

...you didnt just say GTA IV had a story.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).LinKuei_warrior

You better not be implying that it doesn't. The majority of reviews praised its story and characters. :|

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
Isn't the one with the score better. j/k I enjoyed SCIV more but I do tend to like fighting games alot.:P
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LinKuei_warrior
[QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"]

[QUOTE="Truth-slayer"]The poll so far is proof that many people on system wars have extremely poor taste in games. The answer is GTAIV,,,it has an actual story, a 30+ hour long single player mode and a decent multiplayer mode. Soul Calibur IV has no story, repetitive single player and ridiculously cheap online mode(Screw you Kilik spammers).BioShockOwnz

You better not be implying that it doesn't. The majority of reviews praised its story and characters. :|

...just like halo had an epic story right?that was praised for it,therefore it must be a great story....not.GTAIV and Halo III both share the fact that their games both took themselves way too seriously story wise.halo tried to be epic,but it ended up just being a halo CE rehash ending.GTA IV tried to be a "dark,novel like" story and what that ended up being was a bunch of knots and kinks that just failed to be a great story.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#29 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Why are you comparing such drastically different games?

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

The fact that I bult this should tell you which I plan on playing more. ;)

Timstuff
Awesome, I'm still playing GTAIV a lot too.
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LinKuei_warrior
[QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"]

...just like halo had an epic story right?that was praised for it,therefore it must be a great story....not.

thanks for seeing my point :)

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BioShockOwnz

LinKuei_warrior

Opinion =/= fact. Also, you didn't say it didn't have a "good" or "great" story, you were implying that it had no story at all. Let's be honest here. I know you hate GTA IV and you're a fanboy of the inferior GTA rip-off, Saints Row, but let's argue with honesty and not falsehoods.

LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LinKuei_warrior
[QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"]

BioShockOwnz

Opinion =/= fact. Also, you didn't say it didn't have a "good" or "great" story, you were implying that it had no story at all. Let's be honest here. I know you hate GTA IV and you're a fanboy of the inferior GTA rip-off, Saints Row, but let's argue with honesty and not falsehoods.

lol.just stop talking.im not being a fanboy...i have solid reasons why i hate the story let alone the game..just because you like sucking the salt out of Rockstars wounds doesnt make me a fanboy at all.the fact that you guys try to claim that GTA had a good storyline is garbage..and if you jhave to bring saints row into this...then your damage control is almost as pathetic as GTAs story.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"]

LinKuei_warrior

lol.just stop talking.im not being a fanboy...i have solid reasons why i hate the story let alone the game..just because you like sucking the salt out of Rockstars wounds doesnt make me a fanboy at all.the fact that you guys try to claim that GTA had a good storyline is garbage..and if you jhave to bring saints row into this...then your damage control is almost as pathetic as GTAs story.

http://kotaku.com/5045594/grand-theft-auto-iv-tops-10-million

What? :lol:

LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LinKuei_warrior
[QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"]

BioShockOwnz

http://kotaku.com/5045594/grand-theft-auto-iv-tops-10-million

What? :lol:

so sales =better story?excellent retort!

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BioShockOwnz

so sales =better story?excellent retort!LinKuei_warrior

You were implying it didn't have a story at all, which is rather inaccurate and dishonest. Don't change the argument now.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
I don't like fighters, so GTA4.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#41 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
They can't really be compared because one is a beat em up and the other isn't but as an overall game its GTA4.
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LinKuei_warrior

[QUOTE="LinKuei_warrior"]so sales =better story?excellent retort!BioShockOwnz

You were implying it didn't have a story at all, which is rather inaccurate and dishonest. Don't change the argument now.

'

no..im saying that the story isnt to hover over SCIV's story since both storylines arent that good....the guy i responded to assumed that GTA is the winner just because(probably just speculating) it was fleshed out more than soul calibur..thats a no brainer since fighting games fight...there not there to tell stories like an RPG or something.did you not see my halo reference?i said that they both were stories that took themselves too seriously and ended up being not epic what so ever..so dont act like i strayed off topic just so you can get a chance at making me look like the bad guy here..

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts
i enjoy SC IV a lot more than GTA IV
ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ferrarimanf355
Member since 2005 • 1884 Posts

A well balanced fighting game is the ultimate way to test skill between two gamers, which is why I love them. Soul Calibur 4 has a few balance issues, but I'm certain that they will be fixed as Namco starts issuing updates for it.Timstuff

It's been over a month since release, and no patches were issued for balance.:?

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
Soul calibur IV
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Played/owned both

GTAIV had its moments but I can tell you I've never been a fan of the GTA series.

SCIV, prolly one of my favorite fighters this gen tell SFIV and its leaps and bounds better than VF5 which had dull characters even for a fighting game.

FFXIII360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FFXIII360
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts
SC sucks so I'm going with GTA4
gamefreakomega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gamefreakomega
Member since 2003 • 3732 Posts

I actually traded in GTAIV to get SCIV.

I don't regret it at all.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
GTA4 has more appeal that SC4 so I'd guess more would say that it's the better game.. To me both are so different and I enjoyed both enough that I can't really say which one is 'better', only that both are really good.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

A versus poll between a Fighter and an open sandbox action game.... this plan couldn't possibly fail :roll: