Sony ultra smart move compared to the Microsofts cautious move

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hotspotdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hotspotdude25
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

bluray is winning because sony decided to put the player in their system so people with hdtvsare buying them becuse why not use it a player by itself is $1000 duh smart move while Microsoft didnt even put in the elite least of all the premium because they wanted to see which would sell better first dumb move it isnt about games but its interesting

krafty27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 krafty27
Member since 2002 • 48 Posts
ummm......is this an arguement or are you just trying to state the obvious?
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
Sony owns blu-ray, Microsoft has a minimal relationship with HD-DVD...they gave their customers the option of upgrading to hd-dvd rather than forcing a next-gen disk on their customers, while keeping the price lower and you call it foolish? I'd tell you to go play your PS3, but Genji gets boring after 50 hours of play
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
ummm......is this an arguement or are you just trying to state the obvious?krafty27
he doesn't have that obvious a point. It's that the ps3 helped the blurray format win the initial stages of the format war, and in return blurray becoming dominant will help out the ps3.

It is true that 360 is way cautious about everything. that's why they have so many models and accessories. If they would have picked one they could have implemented it as a disc media for gaming, which I believe they cannot do now. Same problem with no standard hard drive. That also limits the games, and all because they wanted to emphasize consumer choice and customization rather than making the decision themselves.
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts

sorry noob but u fail, ms gives u a choice, even if bluray wins all they have to do is make a bluray add on

duh

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Sony owns blu-ray, Microsoft has a minimal relationship with HD-DVD...they gave their customers the option of upgrading to hd-dvd rather than forcing a next-gen disk on their customers, while keeping the price lower and you call it foolish? I'd tell you to go play your PS3, but Genji gets boring after 50 hours of playshadow8585

Bullcrap, Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray, they can't go and make a major decision without the support of the BDA which actually DOES own Blu-Ray.

Blockbuster didn't decide to go Blu-Ray only because Sony said so either, nor are so many other companies making Blu-Ray hardware compared to HD-DVD.

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts
Yeah, making games console $600 minimumn was REALLY a good choice.
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Yeah, making games console $600 minimumn was REALLY a good choice. MegaPigeon

If Blu-Ray wins because of it, then yes..it will turn out to have been a great business decision even if SCEI suffers due to it.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

bluray is winning because sony decided to put the player in their system so people with hdtvsare buying them becuse why not use it a player by itself is $1000 duh smart move while Microsoft didnt even put in the elite least of all the premium because they wanted to see which would sell better first dumb move it isnt about games but its interesting

hotspotdude25

Um Blu Ray is winning the format war but the PS3 is failing in part because of Blu-Ray. Its 600$ price is mostly because of Blu-Ray. The 3 million PS3 sold certainly helped win the war but the PS3 will be forgoten as a player once sub 100$ stand alone players come out.

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

Sony owns blu-ray, Microsoft has a minimal relationship with HD-DVD...they gave their customers the option of upgrading to hd-dvd rather than forcing a next-gen disk on their customers, while keeping the price lower and you call it foolish? I'd tell you to go play your PS3, but Genji gets boring after 50 hours of playshadow8585

WTF!!! Genji gets boring after 2 minutes

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
Sony is making bluray, MS is backing hd-dvd so i heard.
MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts

[QUOTE="MegaPigeon"]Yeah, making games console $600 minimumn was REALLY a good choice. Runningflame570

If Blu-Ray wins because of it, then yes..it will turn out to have been a great business decision even if SCEI suffers due to it.

Making a console that expensive because it's used a new and sexy format has never worked. It's especially bad when you make a large loss on each unit sold.

DoctorBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DoctorBunny
Member since 2005 • 2660 Posts

hotspotdude25

Really? Bethesda doesn't think so. Seeing how the only dev's who support it work exclusivly on ps3, go figure.

"Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower"

we know that the Xbox 360 drive reads data faster than PS3's. While the Blu-ray drive might consistently read data at the same speed, the 360 drive is faster at reading data on the outer layers of the DVD disc; and that's were devs tend to put the biggest files.

link

The PS3 Oblivion team compensated for the slower drive by duplicating data across the Blu-ray disc, making it faster to find and load

Link

So whats the point of bluray if you

A) have data uncompressed

B)Have to duplicate the data

C)Games are made multi region, those audio files take up a lot of space

those 3 facotrs pretty much make it identicle to using a DVD9, except most not being multi region...

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

For the company as a whole, it MAY have been a wise decision to include Blu-Ray with the PS3. But the SCE branch may suffer daerly for it, due to the high price it has imposed on the PS3.And it's not onlythe SCE branch that may suffer. Blu-Raystill an unproven format, and it is still being outsold on a massive scale by good ol' DVDs.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
that is the longest run-on sentence i've ever seen in my life. and a terrible one at that.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts

[QUOTE="MegaPigeon"]Yeah, making games console $600 minimumn was REALLY a good choice. Runningflame570

amen, imagine all the royalties and revenues that sony will gain if blu ray wins.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts

For the company as a whole, it MAY have been a wise decision to include Blu-Ray with the PS3. But the SCE branch may suffer daerly for it, due to the high price it has imposed on the PS3.And it's not onlythe SCE branch that may suffer. Blu-Raystill an unproven format, and it is still being outsold on a massive scale by good ol' DVDs.

Verge_6
well duh, blu ray and hd dvd are for long term investments, not short term. of course dvd will be selling great for the next 2 or so years. but once DVD is faded out , who ever wins the hd format will be will banking . aslothere will be more ppl with hdtv also in 2 or years.
Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts

hotspotdude25

Oh my. That was the most incoherent rambling I've ever read. This should be used as the definition of "run-on sentence", if you can even call it a sentence.

hotspotdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hotspotdude25
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

I'm sorry this is spelling class Ms. Gamer.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="hotspotdude25"]

DoctorBunny

Really? Bethesda doesn't think so. Seeing how the only dev's who support it work exclusivly on ps3, go figure.

"Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower"

we know that the Xbox 360 drive reads data faster than PS3's. While the Blu-ray drive might consistently read data at the same speed, the 360 drive is faster at reading data on the outer layers of the DVD disc; and that's were devs tend to put the biggest files.

link

The PS3 Oblivion team compensated for the slower drive by duplicating data across the Blu-ray disc, making it faster to find and load

Link

So whats the point of bluray if you

A) have data uncompressed

B)Have to duplicate the data

C)Games are made multi region, those audio files take up a lot of space

those 3 facotrs pretty much make it identicle to using a DVD9, except most not being multi region...

there is lots of space left over after the data has been duplicated, uncompressed (sound) is of better quality, never heard of people complain about good quality before

DVD9s do suffer if they need multiple language tracks. But I haven't heard of multiregion games that have that. As far as I know, they only have one voice track for the corresponding region.

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts

hotspotdude25

Throw a period or two in there so I can take a breath and finish...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

hotspotdude25

Was that English? The problem with your logic is that no one really cares about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Both formats are selling like crap. There are more Blu-Ray players in people homes, but they aren't sell many more movies thaen HD-DVD. Why? Because PS3 owners aren't really buying Blu-Ray movies. Most played the Talledega Nights Blu-Ray a couple of times and then through it on the shelf, never to be used again. Every time I go to Best Buy or Fry's Electronics, I see tons of Blu-Ray movies stacked tightly with hardly any taken.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Blu-Ray wins, the PS3 loses. Yeah.. that makes sense and Sony loses 1 billion every quarter. Hhhmm.. where did Ken K. go again? :lol:

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
Uh...you know Microsoft has an HDDVD add-on, right?
springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts
thats a very long sentence
osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
Yes, Bluray is a good idea, since it looks to be winning. Ye,s OSny might eventually make the PS3 more desirable because of Bluray iclusion. But will bluray, mean more than price or games?
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Sony didn't make an ultra-smart move, they made the only move. Sony has spent so much money on failed formats over the past 30 odd years its a little frightening. If it weren't for CD's god knows what would have happened to the R&D department over there. So when Sony finally gets a great chance at winning a format war for once of course they're going to take a shot at it. I mean Betamax, UMD, Memorystick, minidiscs, all of them huge commercial failures because they were either unneccessary or unsuported. So when Sony gets not only a chance at winning a major format war but they have the chance at a huge advantage by turning their console into a "trojan horse" so to speak, of course they'll do it.

MS on the other hand has no real interest in any format, especially when they would benefit most from digital distribution. So they license some technology to Toshiba and support HD-DVD following the old adage "my enemy's enemy is my friend" and launches the HD-DVD add-on. MS really doesn't care who wins and so far they've shown that you don't need either one for gaming, so why take the risk?

Anyone who really thinks BR is needed this gen needs to google "procedural synthesis", "lossless compression" and "XNA".

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I personally think that the blu-ray was a mistake. upping the price and not needed for games = huge turn-off
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

The PS3's hefty startup costs have weighed heavily on the company's fight to drive up profit in its core electronics division. Sony is not expecting to post a profit in its game business until the fiscal year ending March 2009.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19309691/

Paper_Knife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Paper_Knife
Member since 2006 • 1592 Posts

sorry noob but u fail, ms gives u a choice, even if bluray wins all they have to do is make a bluray add on

duh

SegArgyle

u actualy think m$ give a flying f*ck about your choice. they just didnt put hddvd on there for 2 reasons:

1. it would raise the cost of the 360

2. hddvd could end up failing and you have a worthless drive in your system.

duh

OOOooooo... i love micro$oft. i have to assume they do eveything for the consumer cause im a lemming! :roll:

cwalters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cwalters
Member since 2003 • 2317 Posts
[QUOTE="SegArgyle"]

duh

Paper_Knife

u actualy think m$ give a flying f*ck about your choice. they just didnt put hddvd on there for 2 reasons:

1. it would raise the cost of the 360

2. hddvd could end up failing and you have a worthless drive in your system.

duh

OOOooooo... i love micro$oft. i have to assume they do eveything for the consumer cause im a lemming! :roll:

thanks for the stating the obvious noob, all they said was they give u a choice if u want it or not failure or not

both formats could wind up failing cuz I don't see dvd sales lacking

noobs and their goofball logic and statements

you fail

OOooooo I come to system wars and make comments about someones legitiment statement with a noob statement

duhurrr

LobaFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LobaFett
Member since 2007 • 287 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow8585"]Sony owns blu-ray, Microsoft has a minimal relationship with HD-DVD...they gave their customers the option of upgrading to hd-dvd rather than forcing a next-gen disk on their customers, while keeping the price lower and you call it foolish? I'd tell you to go play your PS3, but Genji gets boring after 50 hours of playSpecialForcesOp

WTF!!! Genji gets boring after 2 minutes

its gotta suck to be playing genji all damn day since november, anyway everyone knows that the ps3 was sonys trojan horse to push to format they wont give there console owners games until they buy up every copy of ricky bobby, it was sonys strategy the whole time lets push bluray then games