Sony: PS4 plans cancelled/on hold

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts
Kaz Hirai has stated today that the PS4 plans have been cancelled or put on hold because they wish to lengthen the lifespan of the ps3 to the 10 year plan and keep upgrades coming through software. Thoughts? http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/reports-ps4-cancelled/
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
That's a win for Sony fans, except for the ones with money burning holes in their pockets.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I recon it was just a research team looking into see how things would plan out if they pressed on with a PS4 right now, they got that info and then thought "Nah screw it, we can do this later!".
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
I recon it was just a research team looking into see how things would plan out if they pressed on with a PS4 right now, they got that info and then thought "Nah screw it, we can do this later!".JohnF111
For second I thought you said they would say "Naw screw it, we'll do it live".
applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 applefan1991  Moderator
I think its great. For one the hardware probably hasnt evolved enough to really change and make people want to invest another $500. Plus they are pishing these games and 3D. On top of that, they are jjst now becoming profitable with the ps3 and so many people have invested so much in the ps3, theyd piss off many by releasing a new console now
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
Sounds fine to me. I don't think most gamers honestly want a new generation of consoles, and those that do are probably just PC gamers in disguise. PS3 has plenty of horsepower left. It is likely Sony is going to focus on making their mobile platforms a success while the PS3 runs its course. I can see them sinking a lot of advertising and money into the PSP2 and the "Playstation Suite".
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Good, I say use this opportunity to combine psn and steam. It will do wonders for the console's longevity, with graphics going up already with gow3, uncharted and killzone more content should be priority not shinnier hardware

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Sweet. I don't have to worry about buying a new system.
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

What is the point of announcing such a thing ?

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Nothings wrong with that, we all expected the ps3 to last 10 years anyways.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
While I am certain the PS4 will happen sometime this decade I am glad Sony has no intention of jumping to next gen so soon. PS3 still has another good 4 years left and in that time a lot of small devs will be able to push titles on the system as the cost of development hopefully goes down. Less cost means more innovation so the next 4-5 years will be the most important in PS3's lifespan.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Great news i can wait until ps4 release.
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 omho88
Nothings wrong with that, we all expected the ps3 to last 10 years anyways.Sp4rtan_3
yeah but we all expected to see the PS4 before those 10 years ... like what happened with the PS2/PS3.
babyeatermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 babyeatermax
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

omho88
They didn't. Anonymous source + google translation is all it takes to pass for a rumor nowadays.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Good. We don't need more consoles right now. Besides, I would rather them wait even longer so they can put even better hardware in the thing, not hardware from 2010 when the consoles launches in 2012 kind of like the PS3 having early 2005 hardware in it.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omho88
I recon it was just a research team looking into see how things would plan out if they pressed on with a PS4 right now, they got that info and then thought "Nah screw it, we can do this later!".JohnF111
great point, but I hope Sony sticks with its high tech approch ... with of course less price.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
PS3 still has life left in it. Not ready for a new console anyway.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]Nothings wrong with that, we all expected the ps3 to last 10 years anyways.omho88
yeah but we all expected to see the PS4 before those 10 years ... like what happened with the PS2/PS3.

But then again with the ps2 - ps3 transition the market was a very different place. With this economy I expected the ps3 to last 10 maybe 11 years until sony was ready to shove a new box out the door.
shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts

sounds good to me,the ps3 has plenty of life left

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Damn... well I hope some Eastern European devs push PC visuals.

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#21 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Im glad about this, i still think the ps3 has many years left in it.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
thats fine with me. i hate buying a brand new console and then waiting for all of its growing pains to go away. plus 2011 seems like it could be the ps3's best year yet in terms of software lineup. it would be a downer to suddenly see a large portion of developers' resources funneled away to ps4 games right away.
ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

omho88

so people will not wait for PS4 and buy PS3 now I guess!!

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 applefan1991  Moderator
[QUOTE="omho88"]

babyeatermax
They didn't. Anonymous source + google translation is all it takes to pass for a rumor nowadays.

Go to google news and type in ps3. Theres some nice links there from non "anonymous" sources
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts
Read an update on another site that said they never suspended anything, they simply are concentrating on the PS3 right now because it would be a rough transition for devlopers, also they are focusing on the NGP.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="omho88"]

babyeatermax

Kaz Hirai certainly announced no such thing as the PS4 being "cancelled."

There is a poorly translated Impress Watch PC interview, where there seems like a lot of editorial content based on unnamed sources.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
In this economy, there's no room or demand for a new $400 machine right now.
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts
Yikes... So I guess that means that if a new XBOX or Wii comes out and has superior graphics, all the PS3 fanboys who currently are so very concerned with graphics and being the only TRUE "next gen" system will have to ditch their PS3's and get the XBOX/Nintendo.
Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
Hopefuly they figure out a way to launch it better, last time was a fiasco... I don't know what can be done but I remember camping for 24 hours in the freezing rain and snow (A summer / late spring release / early fall launch would be much appreciated for us campers in colder climates)... I remember a cop rolled up on us and told us a store not to far from the one I was camping that he arrested a guy chasing people with a baseball bat trying to get them out of line so he could get to the front... I came home after camping to watch the news only to see a police barricade with riot shields and tear gas forming a wall outside of a best buy while college kids tried to break through the line to get to the front of the line... I heard plenty of horrar stories about campers getting cut at the last minute in almost stampede like conditions... There were 10 campers where I camped and I was the only one that kept their launch PS3 everyone else sold theirs because they were going for $1,500+ a pop on EBAY the night before launch... PS3 launch was a disastor to say the least...
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

The economy right now, the fact that psn is operating at a very large loss, the ps3 just becoming profitable like a year and a half ago...Sony cant release a brand new system in this environment...we still have people actually believing that Playstations have 10 year life cycles, theyhave 5-6 year life cycles followed by 5 year life support cycles where Sony continues to produce the system yet realistically ignores it in terms of games like most other developers do.

Face it we won't see a new round of systems any time soon because Sony and Microsoft can't handle the expenses and the industry as a whole cant handle new systems. *shakes head* so many people actually wanting to give Sony a pat on the back for this...when its actually a sign that the game industry is pretty much diseased right now and a new round of systems would be like a hospital refusing to treat because of no insurance.

This is simply a sign of a very worrying underlying problem.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
we shall see. theres no question that the longer the gen goes on the better it is for sony, MS and ninty. but what happens if another company decides to kick things off. as soon as one of them move the market is going to start asking "ok other companies..what are your plans?". sony wont be able to just shrug it off and stick to the PS3. at the mo its a staring match...who is going to blink first? as soon as someone does then all plans for keeping this gen going are over...the race is on to get the competing platforms out.
gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

i dont wanna be playing a console with only 512MB of ram 3 yrs from now... that spec is already outdated. Dont get me wrong these consoles have utilized their resources very well so far but they would have done so much better with atleast 1gb

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts

The economy right now, the fact that psn is operating at a very large loss, the ps3 just becoming profitable like a year and a half ago...Sony cant release a brand new system in this environment...we still have people actually believing that Playstations have 10 year life cycles, theyhave 5-6 year life cycles followed by 5 year life support cycles where Sony continues to produce the system yet realistically ignores it in terms of games like most other developers do.

Face it we won't see a new round of systems any time soon because Sony and Microsoft can't handle the expenses and the industry as a whole cant handle new systems. *shakes head* so many people actually wanting to give Sony a pat on the back for this...when its actually a sign that the game industry is pretty much diseased right now and a new round of systems would be like a hospital refusing to treat because of no insurance.

WilliamRLBaker

Many of the PS1 and PS2's best games were released in your so-called "support cycles", but anyone can easily see that when they aren't so blindly opposed to Sony.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

at least MS and Sony should show us something next-gen this E3 for next year, I don't want this gen to last loner than 6 years :(

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

The disease is the higher development costs of developing games, which have risen exponentially over the years. Any new console with greater graphics will come with greater expectations and requirements from developers - which not all developers can meet.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Nothing wrong with a longer gen. Let the console makers and game publishers make some good profits from things becoming cheaper and easier for them for a while longer. It also gives Sony longer to put together a console that will actually feel like a generational leap from this one, which probably won't be easy.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Just heard Crytek said they were getting "better response" from the PS3 than 360.Now they can be callled neutral guys (unlike some of our friends from sytem wars,LOL .)

So PS3 have definitely more than some life left in it and we can hope to not hear any announcements regarding the PS4 in the next 5 yrs. or so.

And will someone tell me whether all that processing power of the PS3 is used by any game or not? :roll:

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I want a PS4 :cry:
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
I know you guys are smarter than this. This is a marketing stunt, plain and simple. They would be STUPID not to be spec'ing out the PS4. I guarantee you they are, or they will get seriously left behind next gen. The economy is improving every quarter. When the next Xbox comes out with Crysis 1 like graphics, its going to sell like hotcakes. Sony will have to be able to say "Don't buy that. The PS4 is right around the corner" or else they are doomed.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lhughey

Just heard Crytek said they were getting "better response" from the PS3 than 360.Now they can be callled neutral guys (unlike some of our friends from sytem wars,LOL .)

So PS3 have definitely more than some life left in it and we can hope to not hear any announcements regarding the PS4 in the next 5 yrs. or so.

And will someone tell me whether all that processing power of the PS3 is used by any game or not? :roll:

Serioussamik
Thats probably because all of the 360 played the crappy Beta, err, demo.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
PS3 has a ton of momentum now, tons of great games coming out for it and great graphics. So I don't see a big hurry to rush into a new console. I know a lot of lemmings are probably thinking Microsoft might do another quick cycle on consoles and I think it's possible, but I also think customers are very value focused right now. A lot of people don't necessarily want to drop a lot of money on a new machine, just to get slightly better visuals. If they were going to spend a lot they could just upgrade their PC to get that.
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Serioussamik

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I want a PS4 :cry:gmaster456

Ha ha! Why don't you try and add GTX 580sli config to your existing PS3? Throw in a godd PSU and Voila! You got your PS4 :P

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
It's because Sony was in the red for several years and is just now starting to report a profit. They don't have the R&D funds to start working on another console before making a substantial profit off the PS3.
iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

damn great news 8)

Ps3 is getting better and better every year

(GT5, KZ3 + new software updates)

no need for a new console :)

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

You wont see a new system for a while. Which im fine with. Less money to spend.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Serioussamik

damn great news 8)

Ps3 is getting better and better every year

(GT5, KZ3 + new software updates)

no need for a new console :)

iMojo786_PSN

Seconded.

Seconded

Seconded.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lhughey
Lets be serious guys... As fast as technology moves, it would be a shame if a new playstation wasn't release within 5 years. To put things in perspective, in 5 years, Crysis 1 will be considered low level graphics by PC gamers. 5 years ago, Nvidia cards had about 275M transistors and 512m of memory. Today, they have 3Billion transistors and 1.5G of memory. In 5 years, they will probably have close to 15-20Billion transistors and 4G of memory. Technology changes too fast for there not to be a new console ready by 2012. If a new xbox is released in fall 2012 and a PS4 is not on the horizon for the following year, you can kiss the playstation console brand goodbye. You haven't seen anything if you think Sony had a hard time fighting back this gen. I do think Sony is going to piss off developers more than M$ because of the tedious Cell architecture that devs had to learn. This cost money and time, none of which will be useful for next generation.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
That's a win for Sony fans, except for the ones with money burning holes in their pockets.Dr_Corndog
Depends when the next Xbox comes out, if it was out for 3 years before the next Playstation comes out it's not much of a win.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I do think Sony is going to piss off developers more than M$ because of the tedious Cell architecture that devs had to learn. This cost money and time, none of which will be useful for next generation. lhughey
I agree. The PS3 won't be around as long as a lot of people think because of the way it was designed. When developers have the choice of developing for the next Xbox with Direct X 11 or higher or the tedious Cell format many will skip the PS3. This will force the development of a PS4 quicker than expected.