Sony opens doors to indie developers, gets rid of concept approval

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Previously, how it worked, is that there were two stages. There was Stage 1, which was purely the concept approval, and then there was the second stage you would send in, much later on. And all of the different various stages of approval for putting your content out and putting a patch, basically your server ID would be given to you once you passed Concept Stage 2. 

Previously what happened is you would get some feedback that was written by various teams around the globe, and compiled, and sent back to you. And we just found that when we talked directly to developers, and said, "Okay, we required you to respond to that feedback line-by-line, we required everyone to read them."And a lot of time when we talked to bigger teams, and even mid-sized teams, we said, how helpful was that feedback, and as we sat down with them they said, "We're paying 300 people to make a game," or 80 people, or 100 people. "We have a market for it, we have a publishing and marketing team, we do focus testing. Why do we need your feedback?" 

And it made us realize that, why are we creating feedback for partners? If they want it, they can get it. That was the first big change. Let's make it a checklist. So they absolutely have to adhere to one of our main pillars for our platforms. 

And then the second part was, why do we need it to be two stages? Realistically, if we want to be a facilitator for content, we want to get out of the way as much as possible. We obviously want to be aware. So now we almost treat it as, if we see stuff that we like, we're like, "Oh, maybe we can Pub Fund that, or we can do a partnership around that title." So that's more of an accounting task, whereas in the past it was an editorial staff task. And that's why guys like Nick Suttner who were hired into the eval group are now account managers in the Developer Relations team.Sony

This is great news, getting your game approved will be a much less mundane process this time around so perhaps that'll attract even more devs to the PS4.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Sony are sorting their s*** out while MS seem to be doing everything they can to be obstructive, both to indie developers and gamers. No idea wtf is going on at MS, but I sense the 3rd console curse coming on hard and fast.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.funsohng
Hopefully it will end the nonsense bashing of them by some consolites on this board, although I think thanks to a few recent games on the 360/PS3 almost everyone has already changed their tune.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
By gamers, for gamers is paying off big time. Advantage=Sony.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
BAM! http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29371804/sony-kills-concept-approval-makes-moves-to-get-indies-onto-ps4
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.funsohng
*points to the amount of games on the PS2* Don't get me wrong here, this news is great, but Playstation gamers have ALWAYS been about diversity. Katamari Damacy says "hello".

I guess what I'm saying is, it's about time Sony tore down that wall keeping its gamers from enjoying more of what they clearly like.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Ebb and flow

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

PS4 keeps on turning
Proud Kaz keeps on burning
And we're rolling, rolling
Rolling on to E3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

BAM! http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29371804/sony-kills-concept-approval-makes-moves-to-get-indies-onto-ps4campzor

My bad, didn't see the thread topic :P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
We were already blessed by this news but it's always good to remind lems about it. Thank you Lord Kaz. Lems being cried.
HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

I guess when you're a near bankrupt company, you have to throw a lot of shiit at the wall and hope some of it sticks. Sad times indeed for $ony. RIP.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

This is huge. This will allow developers to give their games a lot more support too. This makes F2P competely viable on the Playstation 4.

I expect a version of Planetside 2 to be on the PS4 ASAP. Not the current version, but some spin off.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Sony are sorting their s*** out while MS seem to be doing everything they can to be obstructive, both to indie developers and gamers. No idea wtf is going on at MS, but I sense the 3rd console curse coming on hard and fast.blue_hazy_basic
word,word.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
We were already blessed by this news but it's always good to remind lems about it. Thank you Lord Kaz. Lems being cried.kuraimen
Indeed. Blessed be Sony and the PS4. Praise Kaz!
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sony has been making a lot of great decisions lately. Definitely excited to see what they have in store once the PS4 is out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

I guess when you're a near bankrupt company, you have to throw a lot of shiit at the wall and hope some of it sticks. Sad times indeed for $ony. RIP.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

oh_you.jpg?w=595

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Sony are sorting their s*** out while MS seem to be doing everything they can to be obstructive, both to indie developers and gamers. No idea wtf is going on at MS, but I sense the 3rd console curse coming on hard and fast.blue_hazy_basic
Indeed.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"]It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.blue_hazy_basic
Hopefully it will end the nonsense bashing of them by some consolites on this board, although I think thanks to a few recent games on the 360/PS3 almost everyone has already changed their tune.

If you are talking about Journey, it technically isn't indie.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.Shewgenja

*points to the amount of games on the PS2* Don't get me wrong here, this news is great, but Playstation gamers have ALWAYS been about diversity. Katamari Damacy says "hello".

I guess what I'm saying is, it's about time Sony tore down that wall keeping its gamers from enjoying more of what they clearly like.

Oh I am sorry, did I say a word "variety" or anything close to that in my post? No? I thought not.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="funsohng"]It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.funsohng

Was thinking about lots of games (including Journey tbh) that have come out and been a hit on XBLA and PSN
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
All hail Kaz!
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funsohng
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Hopefully it will end the nonsense bashing of them by some consolites on this board, although I think thanks to a few recent games on the 360/PS3 almost everyone has already changed their tune.

Was thinking about lots of games (including Journey tbh) that have come out and been a hit on XBLA and PSN

I can think of a few on XBLA, but not many on PSN. Other than some late ports.
dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Give it a few years. I like how all of a sudden PS fans are so proud of their limited indie game line up. If people are really indie fans, they would have been PC gaming a long time ago. Soon they will be clamoring that they want more core/AAA games and will complain that Sony isn't focusing more attention on it. Eh, whatever. Also, breaking down barriers to make it easier does not mean better games. It just means more shovelware/bad games will have an easier time getting through the approval process. if a game is good, it would have gotten through with the old standards.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.blue_hazy_basic

Im a predominantly PC gamer, and I have enjoyed quite a few indie games, but I feel like PC gamers take it way too far. If I had a choice between Bioshock Infinite and the best Indie game, I would take biochock infinite in a heart beat. Indie games are great fun, dont get me wrong, but I have never run into a single one that comes close to the quality and fun of a full launch retail product. I think the problem comes from both sides. Consolelites just bash indie games without cause, and PC gamers hail Indie games as the second coming of christ. The truth is Indie games lie somewhere in the middle. I personally im getting sick of tired of every indie game just coming up with some quirky artstyle in an attempt to find its own "identity". It just become obnoxious and its starting to feel pretentious. But then again, thats just me. Oh yeah, and 8/16bit games need to stop. Its getting old now.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
SDC, once again Sony put gamers first.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

I applaud you Sony!

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="funsohng"]It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.II_Seraphim_II

Im a predominantly PC gamer, and I have enjoyed quite a few indie games, but I feel like PC gamers take it way too far. If I had a choice between Bioshock Infinite and the best Indie game, I would take biochock infinite in a heart beat. Indie games are great fun, dont get me wrong, but I have never run into a single one that comes close to the quality and fun of a full launch retail product. I think the problem comes from both sides. Consolelites just bash indie games without cause, and PC gamers hail Indie games as the second coming of christ. The truth is Indie games lie somewhere in the middle. I personally im getting sick of tired of every indie game just coming up with some quirky artstyle in an attempt to find its own "identity". It just become obnoxious and its starting to feel pretentious. But then again, thats just me. Oh yeah, and 8/16bit games need to stop. Its getting old now.

I agree. For every ten indie games that I have played, only one is probably worth recommending to a friend. Most are just mediocre ways of spending a couple hours. Rarely can and indie hope to compete with the retail titles. In fact, a lot of the mediocre retail games would be considered the best thing since sliced bread if they were made by an indie developer.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="funsohng"]It's about time the ignorant ass cows to be exposed to the greatness of indie gaming.II_Seraphim_II

I don't hail indie gaming as a second coming of Christ. I do, however, appreciate the freshness it brings to the industry. And by freshness, I mean the gameplay. I don't care about indie games that looks good and plays ordinary. I don't have nostalgia to appreciate 8-bit gaming because I never played games on 8-bit console. When I like indie games, I like them because they are fun. And when an indie game isn't fun, I don't like that game. Ain't nothing pretentious about it like you say. The only reason I said "greatness of indie gaming" is because there are lots of indie games that are just joy to play, and PS3 haven't been getting a lot of them. ps. also, you are in HYPE, makes me feel stupid to actually try to talk sensibly to you.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

I don't think they are necessarily up there either, but how many Bioshock Infinites a year are there? Indie games can bring totally different perspectives on gaming, which can often get stale because when you're dealing with budgets of $10's millions you have to play it safe. Being quirky for the sake of being quirky doesn't interest me. FTL giving me a game I could never get from a mainstream publisher anymore? Yes ****ing please!
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

More support can't be a bad thing.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

should read "Sony desperate and willing to accept help from anyone, anywhere with no obstructions."

sorry thats just what i read.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

indie games 3 days ago were bullshyt that nobody cared about and didn't count but now... indie is ****ing core yo.  dats the powa of the quad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Bravo, Sony, bravo. Undoubtedly one of the best pieces of gaming news in a while.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 funsohng
Bravo, Sony, bravo. Undoubtedly one of the best pieces of gaming news in a while.charizard1605
Nah, there is a news of Wada stepping down as CEO in SE down the page.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Hopefully it will end the nonsense bashing of them by some consolites on this board, although I think thanks to a few recent games on the 360/PS3 almost everyone has already changed their tune.blue_hazy_basic

I don't think they are necessarily up there either, but how many Bioshock Infinites a year are there? Indie games can bring totally different perspectives on gaming, which can often get stale because when you're dealing with budgets of $10's millions you have to play it safe. Being quirky for the sake of being quirky doesn't interest me. FTL giving me a game I could never get from a mainstream publisher anymore? Yes ****ing please!

Well lemme stop you right there good sir, because there is only 1 bioshock infinite! :D As for quirky gameplay, I agree. I loved FTL. It was a great and fantastic game, but the overwhelming majority of indie games that I have played feel like throwaways. What I have come to understand that bothers me about indie games is the over reliance on one core gimmick. They build the game around the gimmick, when I would rather they made the gimmick fit the game. So what you end up having is a game that just concentrates on that one gimmick and and neglects everything else.

Lets take FTL for instance. I love that game. Its great fun, but you have to admit its pretty barebones. And you are just doing the same thing over and over again. Sure, you can make the same claim regarding FPSes and TPSes and so on and so forth. But lets compare Bioshock Infinite with FTL. Bioshock infinite has pacing, story, narrative, characters you actually care about and on top of that, fun gameplay. Now lets look at FTL. It has a freaking awesome sound track that should be oscar nominated, and a core gameplay mechanic. Thats all there is to the game. U do the same thing over and over until you reach the end. There is nothing else to keep you interested. Thats my issue. Indie games are fun, but they have a long way to go before the majority start taking them seriously.

One gimmick and a fancy artstyle does not make a game. Sure if you're making a game like tetris or other puzzle games, you can live off 1 gimmick. But in other genres? we have come to expect a little more. And maybe we are spoiled and we expect too much, but if someone told u right now "oh you will now have to walk 10 miles to get your water from a well" you would complain too. Maybe you are spoiled, but thats the standard you are accustomed to. That's why indie games arent as main stream. People are accustomed to a certain level of quality that indie games dont always give.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
In the same interview they also mentioned they're working on cutting down on/removing the certification process on patches which should hopefully mean no more waiting for patches for games that release with glitches or even sometimes broken. Seems they're getting rid of patching fees too which will no doubt help indies. Just gets better and better.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Im a predominantly PC gamer, and I have enjoyed quite a few indie games, but I feel like PC gamers take it way too far. If I had a choice between Bioshock Infinite and the best Indie game, I would take biochock infinite in a heart beat. Indie games are great fun, dont get me wrong, but I have never run into a single one that comes close to the quality and fun of a full launch retail product. I think the problem comes from both sides. Consolelites just bash indie games without cause, and PC gamers hail Indie games as the second coming of christ. The truth is Indie games lie somewhere in the middle. I personally im getting sick of tired of every indie game just coming up with some quirky artstyle in an attempt to find its own "identity". It just become obnoxious and its starting to feel pretentious. But then again, thats just me. Oh yeah, and 8/16bit games need to stop. Its getting old now.II_Seraphim_II

Well lemme stop you right there good sir, because there is only 1 bioshock infinite! :D As for quirky gameplay, I agree. I loved FTL. It was a great and fantastic game, but the overwhelming majority of indie games that I have played feel like throwaways. What I have come to understand that bothers me about indie games is the over reliance on one core gimmick. They build the game around the gimmick, when I would rather they made the gimmick fit the game. So what you end up having is a game that just concentrates on that one gimmick and and neglects everything else.

Lets take FTL for instance. I love that game. Its great fun, but you have to admit its pretty barebones. And you are just doing the same thing over and over again. Sure, you can make the same claim regarding FPSes and TPSes and so on and so forth. But lets compare Bioshock Infinite with FTL. Bioshock infinite has pacing, story, narrative, characters you actually care about and on top of that, fun gameplay. Now lets look at FTL. It has a freaking awesome sound track that should be oscar nominated, and a core gameplay mechanic. Thats all there is to the game. U do the same thing over and over until you reach the end. There is nothing else to keep you interested. Thats my issue. Indie games are fun, but they have a long way to go before the majority start taking them seriously.

One gimmick and a fancy artstyle does not make a game. Sure if you're making a game like tetris or other puzzle games, you can live off 1 gimmick. But in other genres? we have come to expect a little more. And maybe we are spoiled and we expect too much, but if someone told u right now "oh you will now have to walk 10 miles to get your water from a well" you would complain too. Maybe you are spoiled, but thats the standard you are accustomed to. That's why indie games arent as main stream. People are accustomed to a certain level of quality that indie games dont always give.

I said you can't compare them! :P But FTL also only cost me a fraction of the price! Plus it has HUGE replayability as all the ships play so differently. Its the perfect example of what indie games should be. I also agree that there are bunches of crap indie games, but isn't that exactly the same for full-priced retail ones too?
russiaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 russiaAK47
Member since 2011 • 447 Posts

we invented it dummy.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] I don't think they are necessarily up there either, but how many Bioshock Infinites a year are there? Indie games can bring totally different perspectives on gaming, which can often get stale because when you're dealing with budgets of $10's millions you have to play it safe. Being quirky for the sake of being quirky doesn't interest me. FTL giving me a game I could never get from a mainstream publisher anymore? Yes ****ing please!blue_hazy_basic

I said you can't compare them! :P But FTL also only cost me a fraction of the price! Plus it has HUGE replayability as all the ships play so differently. Its the perfect example of what indie games should be. I also agree that there are bunches of crap indie games, but isn't that exactly the same for full-priced retail ones too?

True that, true that
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
So lots of games with little quality control? Hello Atari 2600.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Ok this is REALLY huge!.. PS4 will not only see some amazing exclusives and console multiplats but ALSO most likely get a lot of games that are on PC ( indie's, MMO's, MOBA's, etc ).

They even confirmed devs will NOT pay to patch their games so no Patch fee's... THIS IS really big!! well done Sony!

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

MS is self desteructing like Nintendo with the Wii U. Sony is solid. 

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

I applaud you Sony!

DivineSword

This is really good news. :twisted: