Sony (Kazuo Hirai) says they will let Mirosoft go first...

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Well basically he says that there's no point in rushing.

However I'm not that sure that Sony is doing the right thing, they already did the same with PS3 and I think they lost more than gained, Nintendo's console already in stores and if MS will release before Sony nobody can be sure that the same story won't happen again.

Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?

Kazuo Hirai

With Nintendo already out the next-gen blocks with the Wii U, can Sony hold its bottle until the Microsoft announces? Surely his comments are slightly disingenuous, since there would be relatively little scope for changing the specs of the PlayStation this late in its development cycle.

Last week was a speculation rich week for the PlayStation 4, with reports that Sony will retire the DualShock controller.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/ps4-sony-will-let-microsoft-make-first-move

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Arigat Kaz. Day fuking 1.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts
Smart man:cool:
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Generic cow comment.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
Smart man:cool:Cheleman
Not at all.
Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
Surely his comments are slightly disingenuous, since there would be relatively little scope for changing the specs of the PlayStation this late in its development cycle.

Last week was a speculation rich week for the PlayStation 4, with reports that Sony will retire the DualShock controller.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/ps4-sony-will-let-microsoft-make-first-move

V3rciS
My thoughts exactly. They already know what the console is gonna look like, it's not like the specs will change after NextBox releases. But he probably just wants MS to show their hand. Or this is just some BS he made up because the consoles will launch relatively close to each other but he knows they can't push up the release of the PS4. And I wouldn't count on Sony retiring the DualShock. We know what happened when they tried that with the PS3. Unless they just modify the DS again and decide to call it something else.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

As long as they don't give Microsoft a full year like they did before.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Sounds like a bad idea. Something tells me Sony may not even be able to launch it this year which if true it could really hurt them in the long run.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?

Kazuo Hirai

Eh i don't get this? Its not like you can knock out something in 6 months after you discover what your competitors are doing :?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wasdie  Moderator

[quote="Kazuo Hirai"]

blue_hazy_basic

Eh i don't get this? Its not like you can knock out something in 6 months after you discover what your competitors are doing :?

Well it depends. They could have multiple hardware configurations in development, and depending on what their competitors do, they could select one for final production. It's not like they need to start from scratch. They could decide to up the amount of ram or a clockspeed of something to increase power over their competition.

Really it's going to come down to non-hardware features like the operating system that is going to really separate these consoles. They sound like they'll be almost identical in terms of hardware.

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
[quote="Kazuo Hirai"]

blue_hazy_basic

Exactly
HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Preemptive damage control from the king cow :lol:

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][quote="Kazuo Hirai"]

Wasdie

Well it depends. They could have multiple hardware configurations in development, and depending on what their competitors do, they could select one for final production. It's not like they need to start from scratch. They could decide to up the amount of ram or a clockspeed of something to increase power over their competition.

Really it's going to come down to non-hardware features like the operating system that is going to really separate these consoles. They sound like they'll be almost identical in terms of hardware.

But don't you have to start the manufacturing process almost a year in advance? I completely agree that the 2 are going to be practically neck and neck though
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cheleman
[QUOTE="Cheleman"]Smart man:cool:Kaszilla
Not at all.

Wait for MS to release their console, then BOOM! Release a console twice as powerful:cool: Kaz is a genius! A genius I tell ya!
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

" He checks Sony's balance sheet " Sure ummm, we'll ummm, Let... MS go first. tehe. :P

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Kazuo Hirai

Translation - "There is no way we can release PS4 before Nextbox as we are skint. Therefore we shall pretend this is a strategic decision".

:lol:

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

" He checks Sony's balance sheet " Sure ummm, we'll ummm, Let... MS go first. tehe. :P

SecretPolice
They could always sell Columbia.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
Couldn't this just be about the actual reveal and not the launch?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wasdie  Moderator

But don't you have to start the manufacturing process almost a year in advance? I completely agree that the 2 are going to be practically neck and neck thoughblue_hazy_basic

Not really. They aren't using proprietary parts. It seems they've decided to use more standard parts, X86/X64 processors, GPUs derived from PC architectures. This makes it a lot easier and cheaper for them to mass produce hardware.

Either way. Neither console is going to be much better than the other. They'll be very similar no matter what happens. No point in trying to beat the crap out of your competition in terms of power since the majority of your games are going to be multiplats and those multiplat devs have to develop for the weaker hardware first.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] But don't you have to start the manufacturing process almost a year in advance? I completely agree that the 2 are going to be practically neck and neck thoughWasdie

Not really. They aren't using proprietary parts. It seems they've decided to use more standard parts, X86/X64 processors, GPUs derived from PC architectures. This makes it a lot easier and cheaper for them to mass produce hardware.

Either way. Neither console is going to be much better than the other. They'll be very similar no matter what happens. No point in trying to beat the crap out of your competition in terms of power since the majority of your games are going to be multiplats and those multiplat devs have to develop for the weaker hardware first.

Graphically I couldn't care less, I just want a jump in AI in games, and like you said the lowest common denominator is what holds everything else back.

If they are going with non-propriety hardware are we likely to see improved upgraded versions of these consoles later in their lifespans? (like ipads, basically the same and can run the same programs but more powerful iterations)

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 V3rciS

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] But don't you have to start the manufacturing process almost a year in advance? I completely agree that the 2 are going to be practically neck and neck thoughWasdie

this just proves how Cell was a fail and should not have been included in PS3

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22871 Posts
Ouch... was not expecting sony to lag behind again. Not good. Unless hes talking about weeks and not months or god forbid, a year. Sony needs to come out this gen as the dynamic company they once were in the industry... not sure this is a good move.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Couldn't this just be about the actual reveal and not the launch?danish-death
That is exactly what it's about, just a misleading title.
Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mind_Mover
Member since 2005 • 1489 Posts

Might be a good idea or a bad one. The first batch of 360's gave me a really sour taste in my mouth regarding microsofts hardware designs, after my 360 rrod twice. If they are the first to launch the nextbox i will definately not purchase it until sony launches theirs and the reveiws are all ok.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

this just proves how Cell was a fail and should not have been included in PS3

V3rciS

The Cell was a result of extremely misguided and delusional management at Sony in the early 2000s. All of those people are gone as they started running the company into the ground.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][quote="Kazuo Hirai"]

blue_hazy_basic

But don't you have to start the manufacturing process almost a year in advance? I completely agree that the 2 are going to be practically neck and neck though

The hardware might even be locked down in order to reduce heat and power usage and improve reliability, if MS see Sony having better hardware they can decide right there to unlock the unused hardware much like people did with AMD GPU's when all you had to do was flash it to turn it into a more powerful GPU. 6 months is plenty of time to test the new configuration and decide if it's worth doing. Still this is not a good thing if you ask me, Sony are too concerned about their competitors but it beats the last time where they just assumed they were better and didn't care about MS at all so it shows progress, they are actually showing concern about Microsoft's console instead of dismissing it blindly.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 danish-death
[QUOTE="danish-death"]Couldn't this just be about the actual reveal and not the launch?FIipMode

As expected. But hey, this i SW. ._.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Kazuo Hirai

You're not supposed to compete on spec, dumbass, you're supposed to offer a proprietary experience that cannot be matched by any amount of hardware.

Did Wii compete on spec?

Did iPad compete on spec?

Sony isn't suffering from lack of money, it is suffering from acute lack of vision, imagination, innovation and leadership.

If you're just gonna wait for 720 to launch and come out with the same thing with more FLOPS, don't even bother, it'll prolly just be a glorified Blu-Ray player with movie games again.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

so he can forced dwellers to pay 600bucks again? :cool: what is the new propaganda going to be? 400FPS? Time travel?

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danish-death

[quote="Kazuo Hirai"]

ZombieKiller7

You're not supposed to compete on spec, dumbass, you're supposed to offer a proprietary experience that cannot be matched by any amount of hardware.

Did Wii compete on spec?

Did iPad compete on spec?

Sony isn't suffering from lack of money, it is suffering from acute lack of vision, imagination, innovation and leadership.

If you're just gonna wait for 720 to launch and come out with the same thing with more FLOPS, don't even bother, it'll prolly just be a glorified Blu-Ray player with movie games again.

You sound angry
redikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 redikan
Member since 2004 • 144 Posts
Being slightly more powerful doesnt cut it anymore. By now we should be able to agree that the PS3 was slightly more powerful than the 360. But Microsoft understood that delivering first was the real goal, not being more poewerful. They got into peoples homes first and became the lead platform and maintained that throughout this cycle. Other than Console exclusives the PS3 gimped itself in the multiplat arena by not being the Lead platform, and therefore to the masses couldnt consistently show its slight technical prowess. I wouldnt take that gamble on holding out so you can manufacture a console that has slightly better specs. Come out first and get publishers using your machine to set the standard for multiplats.
Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

So they can copy there idea's

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Oh dear, really? Come on Sony, don't make that mistake again!

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts
lots of genius businessmen in this thread! sony should just read SW forum and take advise from the posters in here.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
lots of genius businessmen in this thread! sony should just read SW forum and take advise from the posters in here.j_assassin
Yup, I mean Sony got everything spot on this gen. Thats why their shares are booming, they've great cash flow and the PS3 dominated the market like the PS2. You don't have to be a CEO to notice something is wrong, the clever part is knowing what to do to fix it.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts
Generic cow comment. Badosh
lol'd
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="danish-death"]Couldn't this just be about the actual reveal and not the launch?FIipMode

What's your sig?

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 danish-death

THIS IS WHAT THE ARTICLE SAYS:

"No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveiltheir successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move."

and

With Nintendo already out the next-gen blocks with the Wii U, can Sony hold its bottle until theMicrosoft announces?

Nowhere are they talking about when to launch the consoles. It's all about the announcement.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 V3rciS

Being slightly more powerful doesnt cut it anymore. By now we should be able to agree that the PS3 was slightly more powerful than the 360. But Microsoft understood that delivering first was the real goal, not being more poewerful. They got into peoples homes first and became the lead platform and maintained that throughout this cycle. Other than Console exclusives the PS3 gimped itself in the multiplat arena by not being the Lead platform, and therefore to the masses couldnt consistently show its slight technical prowess. I wouldnt take that gamble on holding out so you can manufacture a console that has slightly better specs. Come out first and get publishers using your machine to set the standard for multiplats.redikan

Exactly... it's like if you'd get your hands first on XboX, wouldn't almost all your friends also follow you and buy Xbox just so you can all play together online and trade games, and then friends of your friends would also prefer MS for the same reason. It's like a chain reaction... I'm surprised Sony didn't realized that until now (Nintendo did)

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="redikan"]Being slightly more powerful doesnt cut it anymore. By now we should be able to agree that the PS3 was slightly more powerful than the 360. But Microsoft understood that delivering first was the real goal, not being more poewerful. They got into peoples homes first and became the lead platform and maintained that throughout this cycle. Other than Console exclusives the PS3 gimped itself in the multiplat arena by not being the Lead platform, and therefore to the masses couldnt consistently show its slight technical prowess. I wouldnt take that gamble on holding out so you can manufacture a console that has slightly better specs. Come out first and get publishers using your machine to set the standard for multiplats.V3rciS

Exactly... it's like if you'd get your hands first on XboX, wouldn't almost all your friends also follow you and buy Xbox just so you can all play together online and trade games, and then friends of your friends would also prefer MS for the same reason. It's like a chain reaction... I'm surprised Sony didn't realized that until now (Nintendo did)

What game is that in your sig?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Oh sure because that totally worked for them the last time around.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

maybe they are going to wait and see if Microsoft will do something different that causes a major buzz then shodily slap together something similar in order to get the same success. *remembers what happened with sixaxis*

Leo-Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Leo-Magic
Member since 2005 • 3025 Posts
he is saying " we will wait and then copy you after"
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Oh sure because that totally worked for them the last time around.

Crossel777
That was because they were using alien technology in the PS3. The PS3 was suppose to be released in the early months of 2006 (giving the 360 a 3 - 5 month lead instead of a year) but Blu-Ray diode problems and problems with the CELL caused SONY to delay launch.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Anyways, this is talking about revealing the new console first. Not about releasing it first.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

[QUOTE="FIipMode"][QUOTE="danish-death"]Couldn't this just be about the actual reveal and not the launch?ZombieKiller7

What's your sig?

from the talib kweli video push thru.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

Lems sound like a broken record with "theyre gonna copeh" So much butthurt from Lems:lol: Looks like SW will be enjoying rodent meat this E3.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]Smart man:cool:Cheleman
Not at all.

Wait for MS to release their console, then BOOM! Release a console twice as powerful:cool: Kaz is a genius! A genius I tell ya!

Worked well the last time:(
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Lems sound like a broken record with "theyre gonna copeh" So much butthurt from Lems:lol: Looks like SW will be enjoying rodent meat this E3.

NineTailedGoku
You sound like a broken record.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cheleman
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="Cheleman"][QUOTE="Kaszilla"] Not at all.

Worked well the last time:(

Indeed. That's why the PS3 is more powerful than the 360:D