Sony is "still the one to beat", says Epic Games VP Mark Rein

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23503

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaddyDC650
Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.magus-21
Indeed.
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
I agree with much of what he has to say.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
i read it. can't agree with evrything he says. but the Ps3 will be selling alot this year, no doubt.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.Ontain
LMAO what engine was this btw that is created for the PS3? because soudns like you made up a lie.
PS3OwnsYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PS3OwnsYou
Member since 2005 • 3652 Posts
Only ignorant fanboys think PS3 will fail, it may have gotten of to a shakey start, but things will pick up soon enough.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 magus-21
[QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.alfy13
LMAO what engine was this btw that is created for the PS3? because soudns like you made up a lie.

Sony licensed Unreal Engine 3.0 for the PS3, the same way Microsoft licensed Source. That theoretically makes it easier to develop UE3.0 games on the PS3, since it'll actually be an integrated part of its toolset.
wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest shipping PlayStation console ever.magus-21

fixed :wink:

Golden_surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Golden_surfer
Member since 2004 • 5749 Posts
Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.magus-21
The one brand people like to poop on? Don you know what "Diluted" means?
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.magus-21

Sony licensed Unreal Engine 3.0 for the PS3, the same way Microsoft licensed Source. That theoretically makes it easier to develop UE3.0 games on the PS3, since it'll actually be an integrated part of its toolset.

lol now you sound like a even bigger lier then one above. EPIC LICENCES UT3 . VALVE LICENCES SOURCE so stop with all the lies.  Game companies that want to use their engines buy from them. btw where is this link stating that Sony License UT3 and MS for Source? i want to see these links. but something tells me you can provide me those links because its bunch of LIES.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.alfy13

lol now you sound like a even bigger lier then one above. EPIC LICENCES UT3 . VALVE LICENCES SOURCE so stop with all the lies.

Sony licensed UE3.0 FROM Epic to use as middleware. The way Microsoft licensed Source FROM Valve to use as middleware.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

why post this??

why do people take so much from things like this?????????????

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaddyDC650

why post this??

daveg1
Why post it? Because it's an interesting read......
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.magus-21

lol now you sound like a even bigger lier then one above. EPIC LICENCES UT3 . VALVE LICENCES SOURCE so stop with all the lies.

Sony licensed UE3.0 FROM Epic to use as middleware. The way Microsoft licensed Source FROM Valve to use as middleware.

right, means sony bougtht UE3 from epic to use as middle ware. above poster says EPIC made a engine for the PS3. i called him a lier. just because you buy the engine to use (kind of like buying a certain car) doesnt mean you own the company. Like square enix licecnesed UE3 for future games. does taht mean Square owns EPIC now? do you see what im getting? Epic didnt make any engine for the ps3. epic made a engine called UE3 that sony likes and bough it for their use. but does not mean sony owns the company.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.alfy13

lol now you sound like a even bigger lier then one above. EPIC LICENCES UT3 . VALVE LICENCES SOURCE so stop with all the lies. Game companies that want to use their engines buy from them. btw where is this link stating that Sony License UT3 and MS for Source? i want to see these links. but something tells me you can provide me those links because its bunch of LIES.

Source on the 360UE3.0 on the PS3
Cubs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cubs360
Member since 2006 • 3771 Posts
Doah, they sold like 120,000,000 Million ps2's! I still think 360 will come out on top this gen, in America at least!
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xbox_PWNS_YOU
Member since 2004 • 939 Posts
The PS3 has been being beat month over month since November by the Wii AND the 360.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.magus-21

lol now you sound like a even bigger lier then one above. EPIC LICENCES UT3 . VALVE LICENCES SOURCE so stop with all the lies. Game companies that want to use their engines buy from them. btw where is this link stating that Sony License UT3 and MS for Source? i want to see these links. but something tells me you can provide me those links because its bunch of LIES.

my god are you even reading what i just said? Source sells a engine to MS. Ms does not own valve jsut because valve offerd soruce for their use. Valve still owns Soruce, ms paying them for the use of that engine. god read the article. pretty much MS devolpers bought the engine for their use and they can do what ever they want with it, but Soruce still owns it. 
zzzaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zzzaaa
Member since 2003 • 616 Posts
He also had strong words for those who have accused Sony of following in others' footsteps. "I read on a developer forum, one of the guys who worked on PlayStation Home said they started designing it in 2004. So when people say things like, 'Oh, they announced this new piece of software! They just copied so-and-so!'. What, you think they just made it last week in their basement?"

The bold part is the best part of the article in my opinion. Thats what lemmings and sheep keep saying lol.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.alfy13

my god are you even reading what i just said? Source sells a engine to MS. Ms does not own valve jsut because valve offerd soruce for their use. Valve still owns Soruce, ms paying them for the use of that engine. god read the article.

Since when did I say Sony owns UE3 or MS owns Source? I said they LICENSED UE3 and Source. In case that doesn't make sense to you, that means they BOUGHT THE RIGHTS FROM EPIC/VALVE TO USE THOSE ENGINES ON THEIR CONSOLES. Sony and MS can't sell the rights to the engines themselves, but they do offer them as middleware solutions packaged with their normal SDKs and optimized for their console platforms. Christ, learn to read.
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
Of course sony are still the ones to beat. They have the brand name, the fanbase and history behind them.
Khansoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Khansoul
Member since 2004 • 4639 Posts

It is a sad day for gaming when SONY!

1. Worst console

2. Worst Launch

3. No games

4. Laughable online

Is still the one to beat. I suppose I should not be to suprised when the weakest system the Wii is the quickest selling right now..........our hobby is dying people and we just sit by and watch...

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
[QUOTE="daveg1"]

why post this??

DaddyDC650
Why post it? Because it's an interesting read......

you might think so,,but i think its just hear say.
PS3OwnsYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PS3OwnsYou
Member since 2005 • 3652 Posts

1. Worst console

2. Worst Launch

3. No games

4. Laughable online

Is still the one to beat. I suppose I should not be to suprised when the weakest system the Wii is the quickest selling right now..........our hobby is dying people and we just sit by and watch...

Khansoul
1.Nope thats Wii 2.Yeh it did have a bad launch 3. Has more games coming then Wii 4.Wii's online is nonexistant.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magus-21
[QUOTE="Khansoul"]

1. Worst console

2. Worst Launch

3. No games

4. Laughable online

PS3OwnsYou
1.Nope thats Wii 2.Yeh it did have a bad launch 3. Has more games coming then Wii 4.Wii's online is nonexistant.

1. I won't even touch the stupidity of this comment. 2. Good, a cow admits the truth. 3. Actually, the Wii has more exclusive games coming, and more THIRD PARTY exclusive games, too. 4. Wii's online is unnecessary. Hell, only 10% of all gamers ever play online anyway.
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#29 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

He also had strong words for those who have accused Sony of following in others' footsteps. "I read on a developer forum, one of the guys who worked on PlayStation Home said they started designing it in 2004. So when people say things like, 'Oh, they announced this new piece of software! They just copied so-and-so!'. What, you think they just made it last week in their basement?"

The bold part is the best part of the article in my opinion. Thats what lemmings and sheep keep saying lol.
zzzaaa

They are allowed to.  Anyone can say something has been in development for so and so long but if they don't come out and provide proof, just a statement then it is up to you to believe it or not.  It isn't any others fault than Sony for waiting so long to divulge the information or make their claim.  But in essence, Second Life was made in available in '03, meaning it was in development earlier, and why Sony be comparing it to things like MySpace instead of saying 'MySpace took this idea from us?' etc...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
They've been beat.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"] Sony licensed UE3.0 FROM Epic to use as middleware. The way Microsoft licensed Source FROM Valve to use as middleware.

right, means sony bougtht UE3 from epic to use as middle ware. above poster says EPIC made a engine for the PS3. i called him a lier. just because you buy the engine to use (kind of like buying a certain car) doesnt mean you own the company. Like square enix licecnesed UE3 for future games. does taht mean Square owns EPIC now? do you see what im getting? Epic didnt make any engine for the ps3. epic made a engine called UE3 that sony likes and bough it for their use. but does not mean sony owns the company.

good lord. EPIC made a version of the UE3 specifically for the ps3. sony licensed it. this means if sony ps3 doesn't do well then epic doesn't get more money. thus EPIC isn't really an unbiased. do you think the UE3 engine works the same way on the pc that it does for the ps3? of course not. Who made it work for the ps3? EPIC.
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
Sony seems to have been beaten already. They have only sold 2 million consoles when they promised 6 million by March. It's March 14 now.
AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts

How come when Sony fans say that Sony is still the one to beat they get laughed at but when a Games developer says Sony is the one to beat and everyone agree's?

Kind of shows that Sony's fans know what their talking about heh?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"] Sony licensed UE3.0 FROM Epic to use as middleware. The way Microsoft licensed Source FROM Valve to use as middleware.

good lord. EPIC made a version of the UE3 specifically for the ps3. sony licensed it. this means if sony ps3 doesn't do well then epic doesn't get more money. thus EPIC isn't really an unbiased. do you think the UE3 engine works the same way on the pc that it does for the ps3? of course not. Who made it work for the ps3? EPIC.

And of course this is nothing against Microsoft, seeing as how Epic tuned the UE3 engine to work on the 360 as well (Both Gears of War and the upcoming UT3 run on UE3). What the article is stating is that Sony intends to package the PS3-tuned UE3 into its standard SDK. That means all PS3 developers in future will have access to the engine, much as how the Source engine is packaged into the 360 SDK.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"]Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.Berserker_2
Sony seems to have been beaten already. They have only sold 2 million consoles when they promised 6 million by March. It's March 14 now.

Promises promises. :roll: The PS3 is still the fastest selling PS console, and it's sold faster than the 360 did at this same time during the 360's launch window, and that's WITHOUT Europe. Only the Wii is selling faster, but the Wii is a goddamn phenomenon. The PS3 will exceed the 360 worldwide, no doubt about it anymore. It probably won't beat the 360 in the U.S., maybe not even in Europe, but overall it will because it has strong support from all three regions. The 360 only has support from U.S. and Europe.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 magus-21

How come when Sony fans say that Sony is still the one to beat they get laughed at but when a Games developer says Sony is the one to beat and everyone agree's?

AB_Uppercut

Because Sony fans often give **** reasons. Mark Rein puts things in perspective.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
duh
AB_Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AB_Uppercut
Member since 2007 • 1287 Posts
[QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]

magus-21

Because Sony fans often give **** reasons. Mark Rein puts things in perspective.

but everything mark rein said most people already knew, Mark rein just stated common knowledge about Playstation 3 which should have been obvious to everyone apart from te fan-boys.

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="zzzaaa"]He also had strong words for those who have accused Sony of following in others' footsteps. "I read on a developer forum, one of the guys who worked on PlayStation Home said they started designing it in 2004. So when people say things like, 'Oh, they announced this new piece of software! They just copied so-and-so!'. What, you think they just made it last week in their basement?"

LoL! I know, I tried to copy and past that part of the interview but GS trips out for some odd reason. Too many errors.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="AB_Uppercut"]

AB_Uppercut

but everything mark rein said most people already knew, Mark rein just stated common knowledge about Playstation 3 which should have been obvious to everyone apart from te fan-boys.

Common sense is what's neglected on SW. That's why it's worth restating in here. :P
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="Berserker_2"][QUOTE="magus-21"]Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.magus-21

Promises promises. :roll: The PS3 is still the fastest selling PS console, and it's sold faster than the 360 did at this same time during the 360's launch window, and that's WITHOUT Europe. Only the Wii is selling faster, but the Wii is a goddamn phenomenon. The PS3 will exceed the 360 worldwide, no doubt about it anymore. It probably won't beat the 360 in the U.S., maybe not even in Europe, but overall it will because it has strong support from all three regions. The 360 only has support from U.S. and Europe.

Who promised 6 million PS3's sold by March? Link me please. Btw, Bill Gates predicted that the Xbox 360 would have sold 10 million consoles by the time Wii and PS3 were launched. We all know how that turned out....
S-lic-K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 S-lic-K
Member since 2006 • 312 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.alfy13

my god are you even reading what i just said? Source sells a engine to MS. Ms does not own valve jsut because valve offerd soruce for their use. Valve still owns Soruce, ms paying them for the use of that engine. god read the article. pretty much MS devolpers bought the engine for their use and they can do what ever they want with it, but Soruce still owns it.

Wow, someone obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Why'd you have to go and make alfy13 hide in embarrassment?
-Krakapow-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Krakapow-
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts
FACT - PS3 is selling better than any previous PlayStation console
FACT - PS3 is selling better than Xbox 360 was at this point after it's launch

and this is without even launching in europe
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaddyDC650

and this is without even launching in europe-Krakapow-
Good points.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Of course Sony is still the one to beat. They are the defending Champs. Until they have been knocked out they are the one to beat. 
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#46 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

and this is without even launching in europe-Krakapow-

Why do people keep saying it is the fastest selling console.  What would you expect with an industry that has continually grown every year?  Of course it is going to sell faster if there are more gamers than there were at previous launches.

Look, you have to win the belt from the champ, and it isn't over until the bell rings.  Anyone with common sense knows the PS brand is still the one to beat.  You can't even say it has lost until the next wave of consoles is released.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Berserker_2"][QUOTE="magus-21"]Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.DaddyDC650

Who promised 6 million PS3's sold by March? Link me please. Btw, Bill Gates predicted that the Xbox 360 would have sold 10 million consoles by the time Wii and PS3 were launched. We all know how that turned out....

At E3 2006, Kaz Hirai expected 2 million PS3s at launch, 4 million by December, 6 million by March.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 alfy13

[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="Ontain"]it's no secret that Epic put a lot of money into creating an engine for the ps3 so they could license it to other devs. they really want to ps3 to succeed or that investment will not return nearly as much.S-lic-K

Wow, someone obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Why'd you have to go and make alfy13 hide in embarrassment?

im back from lunch btw. but yah i think i need to learn englsih better, because me and you both said pretty much the samething, but i mis read your post. when the first poster stated that epic made a eingine for sony i called him out on a lie. but yah my bad for mis reading what you said. only if japanese was not my main language and english was.

so pretty much like i said , epic and valve rents out their engines, but do not make engines specifially for a certain console. you pretty much said the same thing i said but differently that i didnt understand magus.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 magus-21

[QUOTE="-Krakapow-"]FACT - PS3 is selling better than any previous PlayStation console

and this is without even launching in europejdknight21

Why do people keep saying it is the fastest selling console. What would you expect with an industry that has continually grown every year? Of course it is going to sell faster if there are more gamers than there were at previous launches.

By that logic, isn't it a bad sign for the 360 then that the 360 DID NOT sell as fast as the PS3?
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Berserker_2"][QUOTE="magus-21"]Only an idiot would think Sony ISN'T the one to beat. They've got the strongest brand-name in gaming, and contrary to popular opinion, the PS3 is STILL the fastest selling PlayStation console ever.magus-21

At E3 2006, Kaz Hirai expected 2 million PS3s at launch, 4 million by December, 6 million by March.

I still don't see a link.... I'm pretty sure Kaz was talking about PS3's shipped. Not sold.