Sony is in even deeper trouble

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZinkOxide
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts

Nobody likes the $600 price tag of the PS3. People here are aware that Sony takes a roughly $200 loss on top of that price, and they hope to recoup on software sales, which are relatively mediocre. However, that isn't the worst of it. That $200 loss doesn't magically appear right at the sale of a PS3- it means Sony has to fork out that roughly $800 manufacturing price whenever they build a PS3. So every single console made- including the ones that are sitting on shelves or collecting dust in warehouses-are costing Sony quite a loss. It is only at sales that they can get back most of it. So when reckoning profits,Sony's aren't just a loss of about $200 for each console -you also have to subtract $800 for every console manufactured but not sold. They better start rethinking their strategy or they wil run their gaming division into the ground just from manufacturing costs.

teldath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 teldath
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
sony probably has a board of 50 PHDs figuring out stuff like this...they know what they are doing... 1 console flop isnt gonna break sony, they have more then enough money
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

sony probably has a board of 50 PHDs figuring out stuff like this...they know what they are doing... 1 console flop isnt gonna break sony, they have more then enough moneyteldath

It´s funny system wars seems to thing their a bunch of idiots that make decisions when they have to without planing anything.

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts
Mm I like your avatar. Besides that you are worrying too much about Sony. Like it said above one console flop won't ruin them. The Playstation and PS 2 and PSP are selling good.
Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts

ill need to see a link to back up what you said.

hotdaisy18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hotdaisy18
Member since 2004 • 1909 Posts
Nintendo didn't go away when they struggled with the N64 and Gamecube. Why should it be any different with Sony with the PS3? People don't take this idea into concideration.
ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZinkOxide
Obviously it won't break them, but it certainly won't do them any good. With any luck they will wise up and actually start catering to their customers instead of turning their backs on them. It'd be great to actually see a Sony that is interested in taking a few risks and giving their fans a break, because with their massive resources they could actually do some fun stuff.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

Dear TC:

It's called a long term investment. Sony was well aware of the potential for failure, even the potential of a negative consumer reaction to the price point or any of that junk (Kuturagi would try and tell you otherwise, but I bet he was probably alone in his delusion). Just because they're eating **** right now doesn't mean they haven't set themselves up with some kind of cushion.

Plus, you forget: large companies can go decades without making a profit. Look at Donald Trump...he was literally millions upon millions in debt and here he is, shouting his **** off on television, years later. "Recoup these losses."

Losses? Like what? You mean failing games and hardware division losses that have been incurred since the introduction of the Xbox? Massive market failures incurred by Nintendo since the N64? Those kinds of losses?

Sony is a monstrosity, just like Microsoft, and while they may not be as *nimble* as Nintendo, they still haven't taken as hard a fall as EITHER of them. Given the potential for success of the system STILL at stake (take a look at Sony's 2007-2008 lineup....still smashing. Yep.), it's completely crazy to act like the mighty Titan Sony's going to crumble to the ground.

Besides, what's everyone talking about as the solution? "LOWER THE PRICE, SONY!" "PAY FOR EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE, SONY!"

And, what, incur more short-term losses for LONG TERM BENEFITS! My, unheard of. So what you're trying to say is that you're not only going against the grain for Sony's strategy, you're going against the grain for Ubisoft's, Nintendo's, Sega's, and Microsoft's strategy, which you apparently happen to think you agree with.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Redfingers
Plus, it took the failure of FOUR console initiatives to bring Sega under. The Sega CD, the Sega Saturn, the Sega Gamegear, and the Sega Dreamcast. ALL COLLOSSAL FAILURES. I suppose Sony's just got a wee bit more wiggle room, especially considering their break-in "semi" success with the PSP and double the successful home console iterations as Sega (who only counts the Genesis as a favorable point in their history).
ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZinkOxide
I am well aware of the fact that Sony hopes to make money in the future. Most companies do. However, I must say that they are taking a rather large loss at the moment, and if they cannot reverse their current slump in sales they will find it extremely difficult to make any money. They can hope for future profits as much as they want, but I disagree with the idea of taking a loss on hardware to hope for a recoup on software. They are in a sense taking a huge gamble, because if they can't sell hardware, obviously they won't sell much software either, and not only will they lose money but they will also lose their party dev support for the next generation, as well as much of their fanbase and brand power.
mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mentzer
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

Cost of manufacturing the PS3 has come down.

More examples of kids thinking they know about business :roll:

/thread.

Ego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ego
Member since 2002 • 716 Posts

Nintendo didn't go away when they struggled with the N64 and Gamecube. Why should it be any different with Sony with the PS3? People don't take this idea into concideration.hotdaisy18

Nintendo wasnt loosing money at any time, they might have made less, but they didnt loose.

squirrel337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 squirrel337
Member since 2007 • 1002 Posts

ill need to see a link to back up what you said.

anthonydwyer

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/18/playstation-3-costs-900-sez-merrill-lynch-mob/

squirrel337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 squirrel337

Nintendo didn't go away when they struggled with the N64 and Gamecube. Why should it be any different with Sony with the PS3? People don't take this idea into concideration.hotdaisy18

If it was not for the DS nintendo would have gone the way of Sega.

_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

Nobody likes the $600 price tag of the PS3. People here are aware that Sony takes a roughly $200 loss on top of that price, and they hope to recoup on software sales, which are relatively mediocre. However, that isn't the worst of it. That $200 loss doesn't magically appear right at the sale of a PS3- it means Sony has to fork out that roughly $800 manufacturing price whenever they build a PS3. So every single console made- including the ones that are sitting on shelves or collecting dust in warehouses-are costing Sony quite a loss. It is only at sales that they can get back most of it. So when reckoning profits,Sony's aren't just a loss of about $200 for each console -you also have to subtract $800 for every console manufactured but not sold. They better start rethinking their strategy or they wil run their gaming division into the ground just from manufacturing costs.

ZinkOxide

Considering what's included out of the box with my PS3, I'm liking the price.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Sony will be alright and Im more then a 100% sure that ps3 will outsell xbox 360 and wii eventually.Once the ps3 hits a good price along with titles you will see sony start to pull away.Also xbox 360 aint winng no console war with just shooters and nintendo isnt wiining with just first party titles( I still love you nintendo).Only time will tell and dont say I told you so.

Mil-m5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mil-m5
Member since 2005 • 3354 Posts
Where did you get that 800$ figure?
Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
Plus, it took the failure of FOUR console initiatives to bring Sega under. The Sega CD, the Sega Saturn, the Sega Gamegear, and the Sega Dreamcast. ALL COLLOSSAL FAILURES. I suppose Sony's just got a wee bit more wiggle room, especially considering their break-in "semi" success with the PSP and double the successful home console iterations as Sega (who only counts the Genesis as a favorable point in their history).
Redfingers
Whoa hold up! Time out.Foul! Traveling tripping, *Red card for Tackeling* Sega Saturn Would've been on top only thing was sega wasen't advertiseing enough and was running out of money.Remember It was Sega that came out with the first cd drive inside a console.Also the dreamcast was great when it came out it was really up there problem again was they were still running out of money.Sony was already big during those times though.Sony will make money in a the future remember they have more divison's then just the gameing side of it.you have to take into account the entertainment side as well.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
i dont care about how much money sony loses.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

At least they made money.

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts

[QUOTE="hotdaisy18"]Nintendo didn't go away when they struggled with the N64 and Gamecube. Why should it be any different with Sony with the PS3? People don't take this idea into concideration.squirrel337

You mean if it wasen't for the NES/SNES N64 and Gameboy.Another thing is nintendo would've really never gone the way of sega anytime soon.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Redfingers

I am well aware of the fact that Sony hopes to make money in the future. Most companies do. However, I must say that they are taking a rather large loss at the moment, and if they cannot reverse their current slump in sales they will find it extremely difficult to make any money. They can hope for future profits as much as they want, but I disagree with the idea of taking a loss on hardware to hope for a recoup on software. They are in a sense taking a huge gamble, because if they can't sell hardware, obviously they won't sell much software either, and not only will they lose money but they will also lose their party dev support for the next generation, as well as much of their fanbase and brand power.ZinkOxide

Taking a large loss on hardware top hope for a recoup in software? You mean what Microsoft is doing this gen?

You're full of nonsense. Stop arguing already. Sony is doing the same thing almost every hardware manufacturer always does. This trend has only been broken by the Wii. Like I illustrated, they are not in dire straights.

They aren't even in as dire straights as Microsoft is and always was and Nintendo was the last two generations.

squirrel337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 squirrel337
[QUOTE="squirrel337"]

[QUOTE="hotdaisy18"]Nintendo didn't go away when they struggled with the N64 and Gamecube. Why should it be any different with Sony with the PS3? People don't take this idea into concideration.Unforgiven2870

You mean if it wasen't for the NES/SNES N64 and Gameboy.Another thing is nintendo would've really never gone the way of sega anytime soon.

Someone at nintendo said it themself. Someting along the lines of. In the ds fails we sink into hell if it succeedes we rise to heven. There in no doubt about they were in trouble.

ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZinkOxide
You don't need to patronize me. I am well aware that it has become the practice to sell hardware at a loss. As I have said, I disagree with this. Microsoft does it, and they haven't made a cent on the Xbox brand yet, total. What did they get? Brand recognition. They can afford to drop plenty of money on that, even to lose a generation or two, just to become stablished, cuz they have plenty of other stuff going on. Sony on the other hand is starting to lose its hold in other divisions- the Walkman was beaten by the Ipod, the Ericksson cannot beat the Iphone, and in the TV department other rivals are starting to surface as well. Add to this theri determination to force another format war at a really bad time, when the HDTV penetration isn't half what it ideally should be, and you have a situation for Sony to lose plenty of money. Projecting forward, without a convincing and powerful victory this gen, they will start to lose support and fanbase as well, and then they'd be forced to try something original.
gundamfan80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gundamfan80
Member since 2005 • 684 Posts

You don't need to patronize me. I am well aware that it has become the practice to sell hardware at a loss. As I have said, I disagree with this. Microsoft does it, and they haven't made a cent on the Xbox brand yet, total. What did they get? Brand recognition. They can afford to drop plenty of money on that, even to lose a generation or two, just to become stablished, cuz they have plenty of other stuff going on. Sony on the other hand is starting to lose its hold in other divisions- the Walkman was beaten by the Ipod, the Ericksson cannot beat the Iphone, and in the TV department other rivals are starting to surface as well. Add to this theri determination to force another format war at a really bad time, when the HDTV penetration isn't half what it ideally should be, and you have a situation for Sony to lose plenty of money. Projecting forward, without a convincing and powerful victory this gen, they will start to lose support and fanbase as well, and then they'd be forced to try something original.ZinkOxide

ok, first off at this point in time sony is only lossing around $50 on the PS3 because the bluray diode has droped from $124 to $8, they have out source the production of the cell to china, cut out the EE chip and went with an emulator, and some minor production streamlining. In some places they make money off it. Secondly the format war isn't hurting them in the least. Yes, I know HDTV hasn't taken off the way everybody thought it would in the US but in febuary 2009 people won't be able to hold off any longer since analog SDTV will dieas it is in most other countries right now. I don't think you really understand how this is working, you can't release a product after the fact, they needed it to have been out and working its way into homes before the change comes since low income households will need the price cuts due the product having been out for some time.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Redfingers

Blu Ray is the most successful side story to this generation and Sony will probably even reap the benefits of its inclusion soon enough.

The only issues are, as you said, music and video games. And with Blu Ray's success, and in becoming a de facto standard (with the support of their movie studios and exclusive third party releases), at least in the HD realm, HDTV sales should benefit as well, which should also kickstart the PS3's appeal. I think home entertainment is really their primary focus right now. They're got a diverse portfolio though, and of course, other areas will suffer, but I think their home entertainment initiative is by no means a failure. They've got that one in the bag, at least commend them on Blu Ray's success.

Microsoft is well aware of the iPod and the iPhone. They no doubt regret bringing the Zune into existence. Vista is a stillbirth of an OS and businesses as well as Dell are beginning to slide back their support for it ever so slightly. Businesses are beginning to look for other options. Hmm...can I stick with XP or should I go with....Linux??

And with their Xbox division not making a dollar still, while the Playstation brand at least had time to flourish (PSP sales and PS2 sales both outnumber the Xbox 360 since launch and also outpace the PS3, and each of these are sold at a remarkable profit margin, with software to support each of them), I think it's unfair to say Microsoft has money to throw around that Sony does not. Yes, Sony is losing money overall this year while Microsoft is not, but Microsoft has to count all their failed initiatives using both hands, just like Sony, with only their favorite Windows OS being their success story.

Microsoft is attempting to diversify its portfolio, but with "touch screen table monitors," "Zunes," and "Windows Live Anywhere," I don't expect it to get very far.

The losses incurred by PS3 barely scratch the surface of the profits incurred by the Playstation, Playstation 2, and Playstation Portable.

They're losing SOME money, but HDTV is the trend of the future: Microsoft has embraced this as well, and with the Elite, they just put a foot in what you consider the "wrong" direction.

Nintendo has made a fantastic move this generation but it is only because of the folly of its competitors. If they hadn't continually blundered, Nintendo would have nothing to contrast to, and the Wii wouldn't seem nearly so much a revelation as a cheap gimmick as it was mocked in its early days.

"Projecting forward, without a convincing and powerful victory this gen, they will start to lose support and fanbase as well, and then they'd be forced to try something original."

This I don't get. I've already laid out a case as to why this is not the case. Everyone's gotten screwed, everyone. Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony. Everyone. No one but Sega, who incurred losses from four horrifying console/handheld debacles, was permanantly affected by their mistakes.

Don't expect Sony to lose out because of the PS3...lol.

Plus, I'm still expecting Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Metal Gear, all of that, to be as spectacular as I imagine it to be. With a few, "smoother," consumer-oriented options (essentially, selling everything at a WORSE loss in order to increase sales and then their profit margin...instead of, at your suggestion, selling the console at $800 or something as to minimize immediate losses), I think they could bring 'em back, albeit in smaller numbers.

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

ZinkOxide

You forgot to factor-in Blu-ray. If Sony is making so much pressure, they must have much to gain if it's adopted. Even if Ps3 fails as console, right now it's helping BR beat HD 5:1, and might prove to be the decising factor in the HD media war.

Avatar image for XPrivateRyan22X
XPrivateRyan22X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 XPrivateRyan22X
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts
As time goes on the the price in the hardware to make the PS3 will go down and yet sony will still be using the same hardware in the PS3 in 5 years in time, My guess at that point the price to build the PS3 will be around $350.00. I think the lowest you will see the PS3 price ever be is $400.00. As soon as blueray becomes this generations media format it will be almost free for for sony to put into their systems. Obviosly the most expensive piece of hardware in sonys PS3 is the cell processor, I really don't know of any economy computers out their that have a faster processor than it. It is way more advanced than the xbox 360 and light years ahead of the wii (which shouldn't be considered next gen because of its specs) so that really is the only problem, the PS3 will never be able to be as inexpensive as the 360 or wii, but soon people will come to realize that the PS3 is the best bang for your buck and it will soon have to best game selection so there is really reason for the PS3 to be worried and in reality every PS3 sold is a good thing for sony because it shows that people are willing to pay the price tag of $600.00 which I still don't see how its considered expensive when people dish out $1500.00 for a computer that isn't even top of the line. You can get a top of the line gaming system which you can also use for a computer for only $600.