Sony is dropping the ball big time. In Canada anyway.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

They have a sure thing with the PS4. It's a solid system and I've been happy with mine since launch, but the amount of them that have been available in Canada since launch is a joke. The largest city in the country has had a few stores re supplied maybe once, while im in Canada's 3rd or 4th largest city there have been none here at all. I have friends who have been on waiting lists since launch.

The fact that it has sold this well with little to no software worthy of a purchase is amazing, and yet they can't even come close to filling the demand. At this time of the year it's kind of inexcusable.

Is releasing 100 consoles in Taiwan or other poor countries really worth losing sales in NA or the UK/Europe?

I really believe Sony could have won this generation in the first 2 months if they played their cards right.. It's clear they have not.

The argument that it's smart to release in those countries to get a foothold and beat X1 to the punch doesn't hold any relevance. They'll ship such a small amount of consoles to those countries that the foothold they get will be irrelevant.

I'm just frustrated for friends of mine waiting to get one. hopefully by the time destiny comes out they can manage to get consoles on store shelves.

/rant

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You don't understand how the industry works, go read up a bit and then come back and make a thread that actually shows you know what you're talking about

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

Meh. Canada is a very minor market. Canada only account for 1% of total console sales.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

You don't understand how the industry works, go read up a bit and then come back and make a thread that actually shows you know what you're talking about

Isnt that why we are here? To have a conversation about this? Please educate everyone oh great Leader of Market Strategy.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bishop1310

@Jaysonguy said:

Cool, keyboard warrior. I'm a chartered accountant in the high tech industry. I think I know how it works. Cool post from your parents basement though.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea but Canaduh isn't even a real country

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

They have a sure thing with the PS4. It's a solid system and I've been happy with mine since launch, but the amount of them that have been available in Canada since launch is a joke. The largest city in the country has had a few stores re supplied maybe once, while im in Canada's 3rd or 4th largest city there have been none here at all. I have friends who have been on waiting lists since launch.

The fact that it has sold this well with little to no software worthy of a purchase is amazing, and yet they can't even come close to filling the demand. At this time of the year it's kind of inexcusable.

Is releasing 100 consoles in Taiwan or other poor countries really worth losing sales in NA or the UK/Europe?

I really believe Sony could have won this generation in the first 2 months if they played their cards right.. It's clear they have not.

The argument that it's smart to release in those countries to get a foothold and beat X1 to the punch doesn't hold any relevance. They'll ship such a small amount of consoles to those countries that the foothold they get will be irrelevant.

I'm just frustrated for friends of mine waiting to get one. hopefully by the time destiny comes out they can manage to get consoles on store shelves.

/rant

It is no surprise, Sony did this just to win another pissing contest. "ooh look how many countries we are selling PS4 in!!!" Meanwhile Brazil, Canada, Japan get squat but still count as a launch country.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Blame Canada!

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

Nobody cares about Canada, face it

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bishop1310

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

hahahah made me laugh. I mean in relation to the states we do have a small population, I'd expect Sony to look at NA as a whole and not split it up. If I could go down to the states, buy a few PS4's I would but from what I've seen stock isn't easy to come by down there either.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

When you're selling like this:

It's hard to keep them in stock.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jer_1

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

hahahah made me laugh. I mean in relation to the states we do have a small population, I'd expect Sony to look at NA as a whole and not split it up. If I could go down to the states, buy a few PS4's I would but from what I've seen stock isn't easy to come by down there either.

I have a buddy who lives up in canada and he managed to pick up two PS4's off the amazon.ca site. Of course, they might be sold out by now but he had no issues getting his. Might be worth a shot.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Don't worry, it's not like anyone is getting an Xbone instead.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Unnatural demand is definitely a double edged sword. Great to know the product is the most popular item within its market but hard to keep up with so many people wanting one.

Lol great gif.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Thinking Canada possesses any kind of bearing on who will win a product war is the true failing.

Supply shortages are not uncommon for videogame consoles. It happens, deal with it.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

If I could go down to the states, buy a few PS4's I would but from what I've seen stock isn't easy to come by down there either.

So your original rant was that Sony is ignoring Canada, but then you claim you can't get a PS4 in the US? Maybe that just means people are buying the systems and there aren't enough to go around and there is no conspiracy.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bishop1310

@Large_Soda said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

If I could go down to the states, buy a few PS4's I would but from what I've seen stock isn't easy to come by down there either.

So your original rant was that Sony is ignoring Canada, but then you claim you can't get a PS4 in the US? Maybe that just means people are buying the systems and there aren't enough to go around and there is no conspiracy.

Well I'd simply have to change the title from Canada to North American and the conspiracy would still hold true. I'm convinced sony had something to do with JFK as well.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jer_1

@Bishop1310 said:

@Large_Soda said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

Well I'd simply have to change the title from Canada to North American and the conspiracy would still hold true. I'm convinced sony had something to do with JFK as well.

It was LBJ that had Kennedy killed, probably not so much Sony.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Bishop1310: Only idiots buy launch Consoles anyway and Canada (Besides Toronto and it mayor) are not full of idiots like the US. So in other words "No big loss"

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Yea but Canaduh isn't even a real country

$%^& you,

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Cool, keyboard warrior. I'm a chartered accountant in the high tech industry. I think I know how it works. Cool post from your parents basement though.

uh huh, sure you are...

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Sony is spreading themselves thin accross many countries so that they can gain the reputation of being "the impossible to get must have item". Last gen the wii definitely had that image, only with the wii it was based purely on demand and not supply manipulation

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're an accountant and you think you know the industry

Go take your abacus and go sit in the corner, you have no business talking

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Congratulations on your understanding of maths.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@Bishop1310: Only idiots buy launch Consoles anyway and Canada (Besides Toronto and it mayor) are not full of idiots like the US. So in other words "No big loss"

Don't you sound intelligent....

UevenLiftBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 UevenLiftBro
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

/rant

Get to the factory and start pumping them out then.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

America's hat is unhappy.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Heil68 said:

When you're selling like this in Europe:

I fix for you. Sony hasn't restocked PS4 in the U.S. since it launched. lol!! I talked to managers at Gamestop & Best Buy and they tell me only Microsoft is refilling stock. Sony promised more PS4 before X-Mas, but have yet to deliver on that promise. Next year Microsoft will have plenty of XB1's for all those countries they haven't launched in yet. They won't have to worry about them running out either.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Don't worry, it's not like anyone is getting an Xbone instead.

Xbox Ones are still selling very well. You can't even get them on Amazon until after Christmas now unless you play $650+ and buy them from some seller. Gamestop just got another large shipment in a couple days ago. UPS & Fed Ex must have lost the PS4 shipments. Did Walmart every get that large shipment in like they were suppose to?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

I fix for you. Sony hasn't restocked PS4 in the U.S. since it launched. lol!! I talked to managers at Gamestop & Best Buy and they tell me only Microsoft is refilling stock. Sony promised more PS4 before X-Mas, but have yet to deliver on that promise. Next year Microsoft will have plenty of XB1's for all those countries they haven't launched in yet. They won't have to worry about them running out either.

Oh no, I'm worried how Sony will do in NA, I hope they'll be able to keep up.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Hope it flops hard. How can they restock things like controllers even when the plastic on the control sticks are breaking off so easily. Its more powerful but its make with cheap components. You'd 'think' they could build them faster but they've spread themselves way too thin in the countries that hold teh highest market share.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Bishop1310 said:

/rant

It is no surprise, Sony did this just to win another pissing contest. "ooh look how many countries we are selling PS4 in!!!" Meanwhile Brazil, Canada, Japan get squat but still count as a launch country.

It's been made clear that Japan wouldn't get the machine till February 2014.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread, so I'll post it here:

Andrew House has provided some comments in regards to the current stock issues of the PS4. In a long interview with The Guardian on Dec. 16, the president of Sony Computer Entertainment disclosed that his company’s goal was to provide a “very good number” of units for launch. Afterwards, the console manufacturer expected to restock the hardware as soon as possible for the holiday season. You can check out his comments below:

"The goal was to have a very good number for the initial launch – that was true of the US, and it’s also going to be true in Europe. The goal then will be to follow that up as quickly as possible, with another tranche of supply prior to Christmas. Then the plan is to keep our production at a sufficient state to at least, by and large, meet demand, if not fully address it."

Andrew House went on to admit that the PS4 will be “somewhat supply-challenged” for the end of 2013. He is hopeful that Sony Computer Entertainment should be able to satisfy demand during the first two months on next year, adding that at least five million units would be sold by the end of March. You can take a look at some photos of the new console in the slideshow to the left of this article and his statement below:

"So I’d characterize it as being somewhat supply-challenged for the remainder of the calendar year, but hopefully we’ll be able to satisfy that pent-up demand as we get out to January and February. The comparative for me is that we sold 3.5m units of the PlayStation 3 in our first fiscal year – the launch through to the end of March – and the goal for the PlayStation 4 is to sell at least 5m units in that period."

Sony Computer Entertainment shipped and sold more than one million PS4 next-generation systems during the first 24 hours of launch, which took place in North America on Nov. 15. Andrew House recently announced that the new console surpassed the two million units sold globally as of Dec 1st.

According to the NPD, the PS4 is the best-selling platform in the United States last month. It beat out the Xbox One along with other consoles.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

Hope it flops hard. How can they restock things like controllers even when the plastic on the control sticks are breaking off so easily. Its more powerful but its make with cheap components. You'd 'think' they could build them faster but they've spread themselves way too thin in the countries that hold teh highest market share.

PS4 will win this generation by a decent margin so prepare to be disappointed.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Bwahaha. That's so good.

I shouldn't read your posts while drinking, the contents always ends up on my monitor.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

That's not true at all. Most retailers in the US have received at least two large batches of PS4's since launch - one of my friends bought a PS4 from Best Buy on the 8th. He even had to wait in line to receive a PS4.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@Large_Soda said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

That's my avatar!!!! Nooooo!!!

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

You're in a big city that is the problem here in thunder bay which is a small city with a population of around 110k we have dozens of ps4s available in series m stores such as Walmart ebgames and future shop

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@Heil68 said:

LOL.. feel sorry for the xbox one

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

that gif is fake, you cows eat anything haha

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

@Solid_Max13 said:

@Large_Soda said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

Hahaha. Uh oh!

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

No shit, Poirot? You're very sharp.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Any Xbox One's on retail shelves are selling, it just takes more than one day for it to happen. I'm not sure why Sony wanted to launch in so many regions when they should just be focusing on NA/CA/UK since they'll likely yield the biggest software sales early on.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Imagine that....a new console launch were demand surpasses supply. Never happened before. Awesome TC that you found this happened. Just awesome. And in case you don't get it....that's sarcasm.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

The gif is great. No one cares.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

i thought Canada only wanted internet money...not PS4's :P

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts

Managed to get the last one at a Walmart on dec 18th. I'm in Toronto searched everywhere but walmarts are your best bet since they don't sell online and have the biggest stock.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@skektek said:

Meh. Canada is a very minor market. Canada only account for 1% of total console sales.

Everyone I know owns at least one PS3, 360 and Wii. Some bought more than one for other rooms in their homes. There is a huge market here, in terms of per capita sales.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@Large_Soda said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@Large_Soda said:

@Bishop1310 said:

@jer_1 said:

Blame Canada!

Hahaha. Uh oh!

I hope people don't confuse us lol