Sony have really shot themselves in the foot

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts

First off, I have nothing against the PS3 in fact I plan on getting one.But one thing that really puzzles me is why they removed backwards compatability with PS2 games. I know they did it to reduce manufacturing costs, but surely they could do a model that does have decent backwards compatability? I am going to have to buy a pre-owned 60GB in order to be able to play my PS2 games. Yes I know I could buy a new PS2 but I don't want to risk having another break on me.

Okay, most people will buy the PS3 mainly to play PS3 games and rightly so but sometimes its good to go back and play some classic PS2 games.

JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts

First off, I have nothing against the PS3 in fact I plan on getting one.But one thing that really puzzles me is why they removed backwards compatability with PS2 games. I know they did it to reduce manufacturing costs, but surely they could do a model that does have decent backwards compatability? I am going to have to buy a pre-owned 60GB in order to be able to play my PS2 games. Yes I know I could buy a new PS2 but I don't want to risk having another break on me.

Okay, most people will buy the PS3 mainly to play PS3 games and rightly so but sometimes its good to go back and play some classic PS2 games.

guitarsrock4eva
Good thing I brought an 80 Gig :D
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 guitarsrock4eva
[QUOTE="JIT93"][QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]

they don't have backward compatability on the new 80GB models :( and the one they did have apparently wasn't as good as on the 60GB
FrodoZHobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 FrodoZHobbit
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts
I really don't care. I got one before they removed it. You should have done the same
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 guitarsrock4eva
I really don't care. I got one before they removed it. You should have done the sameFrodoZHobbit
so i should have gone out and bought a system that at the time didn't have any good games and was overpriced for what it could do
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
They removed the BC because they want you to buy Ps3 games, not Ps2 games. I think they'll add some software emulation in the future trough an update tho (when they really discontinue the PS2). The Ps2 is really cheap nowadays anyway.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
*hugs 60 Gig PS3*

While its a loss, I doubt that the vast majority of the gaming public cares about the loss of BC.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
[QUOTE="FrodoZHobbit"]I really don't care. I got one before they removed it. You should have done the sameguitarsrock4eva
so i should have gone out and bought a system that at the time didn't have any good games and was overpriced for what it could do

I did :P But it wasn't blind brand loyalty, I knew which games were coming so I was 100% sure it would be worth it. With the PS brand come PS brand exclusives such as GT, GoW, MGS, FF(multiplat now but still lol) etc. But being totally honest I've used BC once to check if it worked, poped in manhunt, saw it worked turned it off, never used it again.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

guitarsrock4eva
Ya your right in some respects, but I own both consoles and hardly find myself playing ps2 games
MKLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MKLOL
Member since 2007 • 2080 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]

JIT93

haha Same Here :D:D
seannn199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 seannn199
Member since 2008 • 1137 Posts
what happened to everyones ps2...
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
I still play many ps2 games, i have a HUGE back catalogue of them. The removal of BC is one of the reasons i still don't own a ps3.
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guitarsrock4eva
They removed the BC because they want you to buy Ps3 games, not Ps2 games. I think they'll add some software emulation in the future trough an update tho (when they really discontinue the PS2). The Ps2 is really cheap nowadays anyway. killerfist
its not about buying PS2 games though. its about being able to play the ones you already have. to be honest removing it was a bit odd seeing as the Wii and 360 have BC hopefully they will do an update but i'm not to confident they will
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
They'll put it back in at some point although they shouldn't have taken it out in the first place. I have a BC model and haven't played a PS2 game in over a year.
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"][QUOTE="JIT93"][QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"]

they don't have backward compatability on the new 80GB models :( and the one they did have apparently wasn't as good as on the 60GB

It wasn't, but the 60gb model offers flawless b/c.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

[QUOTE="killerfist"]They removed the BC because they want you to buy Ps3 games, not Ps2 games. I think they'll add some software emulation in the future trough an update tho (when they really discontinue the PS2). The Ps2 is really cheap nowadays anyway. guitarsrock4eva
its not about buying PS2 games though. its about being able to play the ones you already have. to be honest removing it was a bit odd seeing as the Wii and 360 have BC hopefully they will do an update but i'm not to confident they will

If you look hard enough, there are still a few retailers that actually still have the 80GB MGS4 PS3 in stock. That one is BC.

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

their still selling PS2's

they want you to buy another one

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
I still have it with my 20gig but I never play ps2 games on it anyways
Avatar image for ULTIMATEZWARRIO
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
Member since 2004 • 6026 Posts
Just to let you know, you don't have to get your 60gb pre-owned, just get it off ebay. also you will find that you really won't play ps2 games anymore, and even if u do, just keep you ps2 for that.
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 guitarsrock4eva
Just to let you know, you don't have to get your 60gb pre-owned, just get it off ebay. also you will find that you really won't play ps2 games anymore, and even if u do, just keep you ps2 for that. ULTIMATEZWARRIO
i wanna sell my PS2 in a bundle though. and i'm not sure if it will last another couple of years. plus my bro wants to take it on holiday to spain. and that will be the end of it i fear. and buy pre owned i sorta meant of ebay seeing as most only seem to have been used once and then sold on. I also know i won't be playing PS2 games very often but i will go back to them from time to time
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts
I have a 60 gig so it doesnt bother me. I can see why they did it though as they plan on re-releasing ps2 games as downloads in the future.
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
*Fist bumps 80 Gig PS3* Now it's time for some Shadow of The Colossus.
FrodoZHobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 FrodoZHobbit
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts
[QUOTE="FrodoZHobbit"]I really don't care. I got one before they removed it. You should have done the sameguitarsrock4eva

Ummm, it had good games and BC this summer.
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 guitarsrock4eva
I have a 60 gig so it doesnt bother me. I can see why they did it though as they plan on re-releasing ps2 games as downloads in the future.Dilrod
yes but the future is now. Sony seem to like people waiting. first they launch the console and everyone has to wait ages for the good games and now this
isukuno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 isukuno
Member since 2009 • 170 Posts

Overpriced for what it could do?...it was at that time the cheapest blu-ray player, AND it played games...what more could you ask for?
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 guitarsrock4eva
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"][QUOTE="FrodoZHobbit"]I really don't care. I got one before they removed it. You should have done the sameFrodoZHobbit

Ummm, it had good games and BC this summer.

i mean the 60GB BC. it is supposed to be a lot better than the 80GB's BC. they actually did tests comparing the BC. out of 90 games 84 worked perfectly fine on the 60GB, 4 had minor problems, 1 needed a special controller and the last just wouldnt work. on the 80gb just over half worked
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 guitarsrock4eva
[QUOTE="guitarsrock4eva"][QUOTE="FrodoZHobbit"]I really don't care. I got one before they removed it. You should have done the sameisukuno

Overpriced for what it could do?...it was at that time the cheapest blu-ray player, AND it played games...what more could you ask for?

yes but my point is that there wern't many good games (if any) at that time and remember it is a console. its used to play GAMES, you can find them in stores and they are on disks in boxes :P
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

I really think its overrated, maybe around the launch period its important and every once and a while but man there isn't some huge pressing need to play my ps2 games. Even if I had a huge collection which I don't I wouldn't be playing them seeing how there are so many games that came out this gen that I want to play.

Not even the mention of a good game with MP (Cod4, RSV, etc.) that will keep me entertained for a long time and the chances are reduced even further. In fact I think that I only have used BC for SoTC, MGS2, MGS3, and GoW2.

But I guess if you want it bad then you could find a used one out there with BC.

ZZsharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZZsharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 322 Posts
*Stares atavatar and sig*
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Just buy a PS2 or keep your old one. They're dirt cheap, and the lack of BC reduces the price of the PS3 especially if you already own a PS2.

The PS2 will always play PS2 games better than the PS3 ever will, just like sometimes PS1 games aren't quite right on the PS2.

It's really not that big of a deal.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

*Huggles his 60 GB PS3*

I have to say, I'm glad I bought it when I did, I even got a free game with it.

That being said, Sony removed the PS2 BC for three reasons.

1. They want you to buy more PS3 games
  2. They want folks who don't have PS2's yet to continue to buy them, as Sony still makes a lot of money off of each PS2 sale.
  3. They wanted to cut manufacturing costs.
I really hate the fact that they removed BC from the PS3. It was a huge mistake in my mind and I'm glad I was able to get my 60 GB PS3 while they lasted.

guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 guitarsrock4eva
^ i can understand why they removed BC. but its a shame they did considering it means you can't play some classic PS2 games. I don't see why they didn't keep a model that had BC just to see how well it would do after the others came out.
DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
I agree. I really wish mine had BC. I don't feel like digging out the PS2 and attaching it just to play my old games. Oh, well..
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 guitarsrock4eva
I agree. I really wish mine had BC. I don't feel like digging out the PS2 and attaching it just to play my old games. Oh, well..DonPerian
exactly its easy for people to say things like "buy PS2" /thread but its not exactly convenient
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts
man i love cows :lol: oh the xbox360 and wii dont have the whole BC " oh i dont even play my ps2 games anymore it dosent matter"
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
its times like this that make me glad I splurged and got the 60GB back when I did (launch). Cause now I'd have to pay just about the same amount for a used one as i did for it new.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#37 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
The thing is that Sony made BC as a selling point for the PS3, but within a year, they took it out. So yes I agree with the topic title. I think more people would be more mad if they can't add BC by firmware and they introduce a new sku with full BC. Just like rumble, full BC should've been there from the start and still should be there.
Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

BC is bad

Dude, the worst part though is the blu ray drive. Having to dowload games seems easy, but after a while I would much rather want to swap discs. Dowloading is annoying and unecessary for me and my hard drive

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

Try craigslist

Anyway, I'm glad I got my 60gig and I got it for a little under $400.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Wanted to increase PS2's longevity and sales...
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts
[QUOTE="Dilrod"]I have a 60 gig so it doesnt bother me. I can see why they did it though as they plan on re-releasing ps2 games as downloads in the future.guitarsrock4eva
yes but the future is now. Sony seem to like people waiting. first they launch the console and everyone has to wait ages for the good games and now this

I rarely use my bc. And I played good games the day I got it. Resistance just to name one of them. The argument of no good games was a lazy one by lemmings.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts
You said it yourself: to reduce costs. I'm actually glad they did so, because if not,I would have to pay 600$ for a console. buy a PS2, it's too cheap now.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I totally agree that taking out PS2 BC from PS3 was a boneheaded mistake on Sony's part. I'd like to think they may correct this in future models, but they probably won't. I'm just glad I was lucky enough to score a 20 GB PS3 when they were still available. A 60 GB would have been nicer, but at least I have backward compatibility and 4 USB ports. Most poor folks won't be that lucky though, unfortunately. I've really got to wonder-- Sony seems to have been terrified that people were buying the PS3 and just using it to play PS2 games, but is that really so bad? Sony makes money from the games either way, and eventually the people who buy the system WILL buy PS3 games. Did purging out the semi-commited customers really help at all, if it means that Sony is potentially selling less hardware because of it?
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 guitarsrock4eva
I totally agree that taking out PS2 BC from PS3 was a boneheaded mistake on Sony's part. I'd like to think they may correct this in future models, but they probably won't. I'm just glad I was lucky enough to score a 20 GB PS3 when they were still available. A 60 GB would have been nicer, but at least I have backward compatibility and 4 USB ports. Most poor folks won't be that lucky though, unfortunately. I've really got to wonder-- Sony seems to have been terrified that people were buying the PS3 and just using it to play PS2 games, but is that really so bad? Sony makes money from the games either way, and eventually the people who buy the system WILL buy PS3 games. Did purging out the semi-commited customers really help at all, if it means that Sony is potentially selling less hardware because of it?Timstuff
over here we could only get 60gb. and with the price no one bought it and buy the time they reduced prices everyone wanted the 60gb model for BC. its like my friend who bought a 40gb PS3 only had 1 PS3 game and a blu ray movie. he thought "oh well, i can just play my PS2 games until i get more PS3 games". but of course he couldn't. and he was actually mislead into thinking it had BC because it could play PS1 games but i agree with your statement
Avatar image for muffintheduffin
muffintheduffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 muffintheduffin
Member since 2008 • 1004 Posts

i agree, one of my cousins recently got a ps3 and he thought that all current ps3 had B/C. he was dissapointed after actually buying the darn thing and now wants to buy the 360.
bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bearbones
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
I know I could buy a new PS2 but I don't want to risk having another break on me.guitarsrock4eva
You're existing Xbox 360 is probably far more likely to break down than a new PS2.
Recca168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Recca168
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

guitarsrock4eva

Sony could support a BC model but they won't. Bottom line is that another model means that changes need to be made at the maufacuting plants which will cost sony money. Even if they did i suspect most people will pick the non-BC model if they can save $100. BC really isn't that big a deal anymore anyway. I have a stack of old ps2 games that are unopened that i'm planning to play someday... just don't know when. Find and 60 gig and you'll be fine.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

well your in the minority that got shafted when they removed it....

sony care more about the masses.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

i agree, one of my cousins recently got a ps3 and he thought that all current ps3 had B/C. he was dissapointed after actually buying the darn thing and now wants to buy the 360.muffintheduffin

The 360 is not gonna play PS2 games either, and the 360 does not have great BC as you cant play every orignal Xbox game ever made. He is gonna end up buying new 360 games most of which are multiplat with the PS3.

PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PoppaGamer
Member since 2009 • 1629 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]*hugs 60 Gig PS3*

While its a loss, I doubt that the vast majority of the gaming public cares about the loss of BC.

Indeed. Most don't spend $400 plus to mainly play older games. I for one have NEVER placed a PS2 game in my PS3, ever. Never felt the need to. I'm not in love with any single game to do so. Usually there's something out now that is the same or better than whatever older game I might want to play. And I think most (talking about all consumers out there) are the same way.