Sony closing down PS division?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lewisite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lewisite
Member since 2008 • 511 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5123292/sony-to-close-major-divisions-next-month

Thoughts/Speculation?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Hell no. As much as you may think not, Sony makes money off of that division.

Maybe their sad computer line will be done with.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
alot of bad news for the gaming industry lately
Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#5 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts
Almost certainly not...
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
When I thought that Kotaku couldn't have less credibility...
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Maybe Sony is finally going to let the "Walkman" franchise go.
RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts

Wasdie

That would be a negative since Sony has lost 5.3 billion from Q2 2006 through Q2 2008 from that division.

siefier25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 siefier25
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts
wouldn't that be a blow to all of us that own a PS3 or bd player if they shut down those divisions??? Oh well...time to get a dvd upconversion player and another 360!
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
I seriously doubt it. I think and hope they're abysmal Vaio branch is getting canned.
LordXelNaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LordXelNaga
Member since 2005 • 1161 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

RonnieLottinSF

That would be a negative since Sony has lost 5.3 billion from Q2 2006 through Q2 2008 from that division.

Well for the past fifteen years or so, the PlayStation has been Sony's biggest part bringing in an intense stream revenue not so much from hardware, but from software publishing and licencing. To think that Sony would throw that away after just a couple of years which did not meet expectations is absolute lunacy. Did Apple throw in the towel during the 90's when they continually played second fiddle to Microsoft despite being the market leader during the 80's? No, they reinvented themselves and took a new approach to consumer computers starting with the iMac in 1998, iPod and development of OSX. Now if Sony were to come back next generation and meet the same issues, then yes maybe a case could be held supporting the closure of Sony's hardware manufacturing branch. Till then, Lemmings and Sheep need to stop circling like vultures
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Wasdie
Aww, you beat me. :(
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
Despite the amount of money sony may be losing from their gaming division, the Games Industry is still the industry that pulls in the most profit. Because of this (based on long term expectations) Sony won't drop the gaming division. They may however consolidate studios within the company. They own several game developers, it is entirely possible that they will break down 80% of their games division labor and pile them all into a larger single developer. Other than that, nothing will happen to the Playstation brand this gen atleast.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
i hope not. i still want one down the road
Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

i hope not. i still want one down the roaddarkspineslayer

THIS....H$LL Im getting one with some of my incometax very soon.

TheTrystero024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheTrystero024
Member since 2006 • 567 Posts
I certainly hope not. I just bought my PS3 7 months ago. It very unlikely that Sony will suddenly pull the plug on their gaming division. I know it's been tough for them right now, but the PS3 is only 2 yrs old.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
wouldn't that be a blow to all of us that own a PS3 or bd player if they shut down those divisions??? Oh well...time to get a dvd upconversion player and another 360!siefier25
What, at all, would that have to do with someone who bought a blu-ray player?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#18 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
When I thought that Kotaku couldn't have less credibility...DealRogers
What in that article wasn't credible? The never said they we letting go of the PS division.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
There was news about MS laying off people too, what's the chances Kotaku or any other fanboys are going to speculate about MS possibly closing down Xbox? Sony closing the PS division is so ridiculous I can't even believe anyone would think that's even remotely possible.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
The PS division will shut down just a little bit before Sony does as a whole, and not before that.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EmperorSupreme
I certainly hope not. I just bought my PS3 7 months ago. It very unlikely that Sony will suddenly pull the plug on their gaming division. I know it's been tough for them right now, but the PS3 is only 2 yrs old.TheTrystero024
It's been just as tough on MS with Xbox. The only difference is people had PS2 like sales expectations for PS3, but the fact is X360 and PS3 are running neck and neck for sales for the year with Wii destroying both of them combined.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
The PS division will shut down just a little bit before Sony does as a whole, and not before that.Shafftehr
what?
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
No, they won't. They make some money, or will be makign money soon, the only concern of theirs for that devision is how fast they can shoot out a price cut. The longer they can't afford to do so, the more the sales suffer. But they aren't beat yet. Granted, theres no coming back from last place this generation, so they need to start looking to the next generation. I suspect they will close one of their other divisions of hardware, that is not selling well. Won't be TV's or the gaming division though.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Yeah right.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
[QUOTE="Shafftehr"]The PS division will shut down just a little bit before Sony does as a whole, and not before that.Giancar
what?

It ain't that hard. The PS family has been one of Sony's most lucrative divisions, is home of their single biggest brand name, and arguably has the most potential to do well in the future. The day that Sony shuts down their PS division is the day before Sony goes bankrupt - one bad console isn't going to make Sony forget what PS has meant to them, and could mean again.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Shafftehr"]The PS division will shut down just a little bit before Sony does as a whole, and not before that.Shafftehr
what?

It ain't that hard. The PS family has been one of Sony's most lucrative divisions, is home of their single biggest brand name, and arguably has the most potential to do well in the future. The day that Sony shuts down their PS division is the day before Sony goes bankrupt.

yeah sorry I misread your post my bad :P
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 alexmurray
Member since 2005 • 2665 Posts
no I dont think sony will shut down, even though they have lost and lost badly this gen they still have a big card in their hand. The name "Playstation" sure it dosent mean as much anymore (thanks to the wii and nintendo) but the name alone drives sales. But I would agree that sony is the most vunrable and the most likely to not survive next gen.
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
Man... after movies and songs, video games are the biggest market in the entertainement industry... I personally think for Sony movies/songs or video game sector, are the last thing to "close"
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
Shut down video the PS division, that would never happen. Can you imagine a world without playstation. As much as i hated the PS3 at first I never wanted sony to be in a mess like this, but for them too have too close down the PS division, thats like apple taking over the computer industry. Sony would much rather let there VAIO and CYBERSHOT brands die before killing of the best selling console brand. But I will admit though looking at how people are dealing with this reccession I am happy my family and I can live average lives, man things like this make me happy that I am not rich. To see money like that just burn into flames without burning is a bad feeling. I hope they can get the PS3 to start making them some money, all I have too say now is good luck sony.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Lol, seriously.......... like that would ever happen
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

There was news about MS laying off people too, what's the chances Kotaku or any other fanboys are going to speculate about MS possibly closing down Xbox? Sony closing the PS division is so ridiculous I can't even believe anyone would think that's even remotely possible.EmperorSupreme

Kotaku isn't the one speculating about this. This rumor comes by way of Reuters.

Are you going to tell me they're comprised of fanboys now?

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EmperorSupreme

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]There was news about MS laying off people too, what's the chances Kotaku or any other fanboys are going to speculate about MS possibly closing down Xbox? Sony closing the PS division is so ridiculous I can't even believe anyone would think that's even remotely possible.The_Game21x

Kotaku isn't the one speculating about this. This rumor comes by way of Reuters.

Reuters says nothing about Playstation they are talking general operations and the business as a whole. Kotaku is a gaming site so they should only report if it effects Playstation specifically As further evidence I don't see Kotaku reporting on the potential MS layoffs
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"]There was news about MS laying off people too, what's the chances Kotaku or any other fanboys are going to speculate about MS possibly closing down Xbox? Sony closing the PS division is so ridiculous I can't even believe anyone would think that's even remotely possible.EmperorSupreme

Reuters says nothing about Playstation they are talking general operations and the business as a whole. Kotaku is a gaming site so they should only report if it effects Playstation specifically As further evidence I don't see Kotaku reporting on the potential MS layoffs

Pretty sure the imply the PlayStation, when they said mounting inventories... RIGHT after the mention the console.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Shafftehr"][QUOTE="Giancar"] what?

It ain't that hard. The PS family has been one of Sony's most lucrative divisions, is home of their single biggest brand name, and arguably has the most potential to do well in the future. The day that Sony shuts down their PS division is the day before Sony goes bankrupt.

shafftehr's post makes sense to me, they invested Hundreds of Millions on the Ps3, Blu ray, Cell etc.They cant give up the fight now, all that huge investment would be lost in vain.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EmperorSupreme
[QUOTE="EmperorSupreme"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

dotWithShoes

Pretty sure the imply the PlayStation, when they said mounting inventories... RIGHT after the mention the console.

Sony is a hardware company mounting inventories could be anything and everything from speakers, to TVs, Blu-ray players, PC's, stereos, Tape Media, DVD Media, etc.... And PS3 sales are up something like 60% over last year so I don't think they would have "mounting Inventory" of that.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#36 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
I believe they'll close the division that made them lose the most profit or the division that they made profit the least.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

RonnieLottinSF

Seeing the history of that division, they aren't just going to drop it.
mlisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mlisen
Member since 2007 • 3287 Posts
Maybe Sony Ericson? Or their cameras?
obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts
That means team ICO games are no more ? That is sad news
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="AgentA-Mi6"][QUOTE="Giancar"][QUOTE="Shafftehr"] It ain't that hard. The PS family has been one of Sony's most lucrative divisions, is home of their single biggest brand name, and arguably has the most potential to do well in the future. The day that Sony shuts down their PS division is the day before Sony goes bankrupt.

shafftehr's post makes sense to me, they invested Hundreds of Millions on the Ps3, Blu ray, Cell etc.They cant give up the fight now, all that huge investment would be lost in vain.

I think the problem is going to be with the shareholders, ps3 is just a money sink right now, with alot of potential, it might pick up, but shareholders might not see it that way, it was already a gamble and sony has been loosing with it for the past 2 years and except for pushing more blue ray but the shareholders might not see the possibilities as a valid option.
Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts
im going to say the walkman division.
edo-tensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 edo-tensei
Member since 2007 • 4581 Posts
no people be smart, sony has games in development for the ps3 and are investing more money to make the ps3 more cost effective. Why would they al the suden quit like that? It doesn't make sense does it.
SupremeLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SupremeLegacy
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts
Why is everyone freaking out about this. It's not going to happen. K?
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 joshrocks2245
Member since 2003 • 11248 Posts

wouldn't that be a blow to all of us that own a PS3 or bd player if they shut down those divisions??? Oh well...time to get a dvd upconversion player and another 360!siefier25

They won't shut down the PS division.
I wouldn't get a 360 by the way, I don't buy things that will break.

Most of Microsofts products break.

cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
Maybe Sony is finally going to let the "Walkman" franchise go.Jynxzor
Id prefer they let the Sony Erricson go, even though it's only half theres. Worst. Phones. Ever. This is literally the 4th Erricson ive had, they break so much.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Already denied. At this point, if they do do it, I will be both uber pissed and uber shocked.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]Maybe Sony is finally going to let the "Walkman" franchise go.cuddlesofwar
Id prefer they let the Sony Erricson go, even though it's only half theres. Worst. Phones. Ever. This is literally the 4th Erricson ive had, they break so much.

Ha, you've never had Virgin Mobile, then :cry:.
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="cuddlesofwar"][QUOTE="Jynxzor"]Maybe Sony is finally going to let the "Walkman" franchise go.GodofBigMacs

Ha, you've never had Virgin Mobile, then :cry:.

Lol i have, but that's a network, do they make phones themselves?
bs0ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bs0ng
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts
The PS division will probably be the last thing they ever close. It'll probably be the walkman or ericson divisions.