So why buy a PS3?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_Fabrick_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 _Fabrick_
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Um FF13/vs13, but they come out in 2009. So i guess theres no need to buy a ps3 until 09, hopefully a fairly big price-cut as well by then.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#52 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

MGS is ok but not a system seller. Plus its been multi- platform last gen so why not again? Most likely it will have to be for Konami to make any money at all.

So why exactly buy a PS3?

Magical_Zebra

Ask yourself this. Im not a MGS or FF fan. So honestly, what purpose does a PS3 serve me? Multiplats are almost always better on the 360 AND I have a high end PC. Any and every game I want is on PC and 360. I would be wasting my time even considering purchasing a PS3...... :shock:

If you're not an FF or MGS fan, perhaps you're a God of War fan. Or a Socom fan. Or a Shadow of the Colossus fan. Or an Ico fan. Or a Gran Turismo fan. Or a Wipeout fan. Or a Yakuza fan.

Or perhaps you'd like to try some of Sony's original IP's, like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Echochrome, or Little Big Planet.

Or maybe you're a fan of Japanese titles, of which Sony will have plenty.

There are lots of reasons to own a PS3, even if you're not an FF or an MGS fan.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

Uncharted, Little Big Planet, mGS4, GT5, FF13, UT3 (+mods), Burnout5 (best version so they say), Killzone2 (COME ON!!!), Heavenly sword (great game), God of War3, and many coming...

are you a gamer or a fundamentalistic microsoft fan?

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

I like it when people say MGS isn't a system seller. It makes me laugh.ImaPirate0202

MGS is definately not a system seller. The best any MGS gamehas sold is 5.56 million copies from a supposed total user base of 115 million PS2 owners. That's slightly over "4%" of the total PS2 user base.

MGS is a niche gaming series for playstation owners, and at best moves a few systems for the Playstion. But "system seller", Bahahahaha!!! That's a good one, keep the laughs up!!!

Sorry dude, Halo and Mario moves systems, GTA and Gran Turismo moves system. Hell, even Gears of War moves systems. MGS is an above average game that only sells to a specific demographic, and that group is not mainstream, and definately is not classified as a "System Seller".

But keep trying though, I'm sure somewhere lurking in that grey matter, my post all sounds like Bullwinkle mumbo jumbo and fanboy ignorance will ignite those synapses.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]I like it when people say MGS isn't a system seller. It makes me laugh.AgentVX

MGS is definately not a system seller. The best any MGS gamehas sold is 5.56 million copies from a supposed total user base of 115 million PS2 owners. That's slightly over "4%" of the total PS2 user base.

MGS is a niche gaming series for playstation owners, and at best moves a few systems for the Playstion. But "system seller", Bahahahaha!!! That's a good one, keep the laughs up!!!

Sorry dude, Halo and Mario moves systems, GTA and Gran Turismo moves system. Hell, even Gears of War moves systems. MGS is an above average game that only sells to a specific demographic, and that group is not mainstream, and definately is not classified as a "System Seller".

But keep trying though, I'm sure somewhere lurking in that grey matter, my post all sounds like Bullwinkle mumbo jumbo and fanboy ignorance will ignite those synapses.

See? Things like that, they make me laugh. MGS2 sold roughly 7 million copies. Stop trying to argue it, it is a system seller.

elite_ferns1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 elite_ferns1
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

Blu-ray

CELL

SIXAXIS-DS3

Gran Turismo

Final Fantasy

Metal Gear

Little Big Planet

Killzone 2

no RROD

Reason enough

DarthaPerkinjan

not really

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
[QUOTE="DarthaPerkinjan"]

Blu-ray

CELL

SIXAXIS-DS3

Gran Turismo

Final Fantasy

Metal Gear

Little Big Planet

Killzone 2

no RROD

Reason enough

elite_ferns1

not really

maybe not for a lemming, but for a gamer, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, mGS4, GT5, FF13, UT3 (+mods), Burnout5 (best version so they say), Killzone2 (COME ON!!!), Heavenly sword (great game), God of War3, etc. is more than enough

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts
[QUOTE="AgentVX"]

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]I like it when people say MGS isn't a system seller. It makes me laugh.ImaPirate0202

See? Things like that, they make me laugh. MGS2 sold roughly 7 million copies. Stop trying to argue it, it is a system seller.

You do know, that just because you type it on the internet, it doesn't make it fact. And "NO", it didn't sell 7 million copies. Unless your "Roughly" equates to take 1.5 million.

MSG will always move a few consoles, it just fails to be a system seller like Mario, Halo and GTA. Don't fret though sport, cheering for the underdogs always has its benifits.

im_different

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 im_different
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
mgs2 was on xbox so make sure you dont include sales from that
loky3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 loky3000
Member since 2004 • 256 Posts
Buying a PS3 at the moment over a 360/Wii is just silly, unless you like playing 3 games over and over again. Maybe in the future when the PS3 actually gets a game that moves some consoles, and im not talking about a crappy MGS game.
ByFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ByFly
Member since 2006 • 1917 Posts
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

MGS is ok but not a system seller. Plus its been multi- platform last gen so why not again? Most likely it will have to be for Konami to make any money at all.

TriangleHard

JRPGs are the big reason to get PS3.

No biggest reason to get PS3 is Pro evo 2008.. if it really turns out to be the better one..

Eurobacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Eurobacca
Member since 2007 • 619 Posts
To throw away a bunch of money is a good reason
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
Uncharted and heavy rain
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
When did MGS become a crappy franchise anyways?
I thought MGS was part of these great franchises everybody admits to being great like Halo and Mario or whatever.
Great_Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Great_Ragnarok
Member since 2007 • 3069 Posts
I wouldn't buy it coz the price is still too much!
joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts

The Getaway 3 (it surprises me that i almost never heard of this game here in SW. It's one of the best action series i played. Does it even come out in the USA?).

MSG4. Like most people want to finish the fight, i want to to end this saga. It's like, Olga's daughter? The Boss? Raiden's a machine? Hairless monkeys? WTF?

Ratchet & Clank. No need to justify.

FF XIII. No, it doesn't bother me that it's the 13th game of the series.

Uncharted. Naughty dog. No need to justify.

And for the multi plats, Assassins creed, GTA IV, UT3, and so on.

So, for me those are enough reasons.

But what the heck, i may be insane after all.

Ryusuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Ryusuken
Member since 2003 • 467 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]I like it when people say MGS isn't a system seller. It makes me laugh.AgentVX

fuzzysquash created a topicproving you wrong about MGS in so many ways it hurts your fanboyish statement, so go look for it, its in first pages of SW.

As of topic:

PS brand rellies in the variety. Many are saying that X360 has more variety than PS3, and its true. It was launched a year prior than PS3 for God's sake. People tend to forget that oh so simply reasoning.

Next year the battle will be really interesting, for it will be a true battle: the prices will be lower and closer. The systems willhave achieved a more mature level (in its life cicle, that is) and the best games (new ips and older franchises) will be out.

See, how a non fanboy look at the time line in this gen is way more interesting than stupid and blind fanboyism?

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

First, MGS2 has sold over 7 million copies. Look it up. That other thread has one link confirming it.

And by your logic, no game on the PS2 was a system seller because if you compare any games' sales with the total userbase of the PS2, the percentage is pathetic. That would mean that the bestselling game on the system (Vice City or maybe San Andreas) has only been purchased by around 10% of the user base.

Lol, nobody is going to deny that MGS is a niche game. However, casuals are still attracted to the game when they see it, because it has what casual players want...good graphics and a bad ass running around with a gun. However, some casual players are turned off by the game after playing it because of the complex story, the amount of cutscenes, and previously, the lack of a multiplayer component.

And the MGS series is "above average". Look at the GS scores, they are the only thing that matters here in SW. MGS 2 = 9.6 and Subsistence had a 9.0

and now I proclaim

FISSION MAILED

mgs2 was on xbox so make sure you dont include sales from that im_different

lol, MGS2 did terrible on the xbox, despite the fact that the original xbox had a piss poor selection of games.

Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
[QUOTE="Magical_Zebra"][QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

fuzzysquash

Ask yourself this. Im not a MGS or FF fan. So honestly, what purpose does a PS3 serve me? Multiplats are almost always better on the 360 AND I have a high end PC. Any and every game I want is on PC and 360. I would be wasting my time even considering purchasing a PS3...... :shock:

If you're not an FF or MGS fan, perhaps you're a God of War fan. Or a Socom fan. Or a Shadow of the Colossus fan. Or an Ico fan. Or a Gran Turismo fan. Or a Wipeout fan. Or a Yakuza fan.

Or perhaps you'd like to try some of Sony's original IP's, like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Echochrome, or Little Big Planet.

Or maybe you're a fan of Japanese titles, of which Sony will have plenty.

There are lots of reasons to own a PS3, even if you're not an FF or an MGS fan.

Out of that entire list only Socom and Gran Turismo would i want to play. the other games you listed I either never played or Im not interested...
misterzeno225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 misterzeno225
Member since 2004 • 2135 Posts
Why not buy a ps3.....its only money.
Avatar image for kingtahktahkhuk
kingtahktahkhuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 kingtahktahkhuk
Member since 2004 • 2142 Posts
gran turismo 5!
Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
MGS4 didnt go multiplat last gen. one time and that was MGS2 subsistence and it sucked on xbox cause the controls are defiently broken. and it sold like 30 copies xD! Plus kojima is a ps3 fanboy and go read the his blog. He knows MGS4 will decide like 30% of the console war cause everyone knows if it went multiplat people will still not buy it.(360 peeps)... it has 1 million pre orders (go run around the room wooooo). CONFIRMATIVE BY TEH RYAN PATNOR.
L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 L1qu1dSword
Member since 2006 • 2835 Posts
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"]

MGS is ok but not a system seller.

fuzzysquash

Everytime I read that I want to bang my head against a wall.

Hey as far as genres go I just don't see tactical stealth having the type of universal appeal that Halo or Mario has. A lot of people find that to be too slow or deep. I allways found the MGS stories getting cheesey towards the end because they get SO convoluted. Plus the gameplay gets really old at least halfway through.

I think having an aging geezer Solid Snake is more apropriate then Kojima thought it would be...

Besides that the bottom line when it comes to the FF series or MGS is that they are very exspensive games to make and everyone expected Sony to be doing a lot better right nowwhen they made their budgets. Sure Konami and SE may have some loyaltyto Sony but the bottom line is that they want to make money and gamespot allready hinted atcross-platform FF13.Even if it does not though I would much more look forward to Lost Odyssey if Iowned both systems. I won't deny that MGS looks cool but I don't think it is something that merits buying a PS3 when it clearly has barely any other games.

Sony allready tried fooling the cows by paying off Ubisoft to make Assassain's creed appear exclusive when it really was not. Who else has Sony paid off and how much longer before you learn your anticipated title is on the 360 too? I guarantee Devil May Cry 4 will not be the last. Remember these third party developers want to make money.

Ninja Gaiden2 is definitely going to sell some 360's and I really doubt Sony will ever have a decent answer to Halo3 this generation.Did you guys see videos for Mass Effect? Damn forget it. Everyone keeps mentioning GT but Forza is superior in many ways and the new Project Gotham is coming soon. By the time GT comes out 360 will probably have even more so I don't see how that one racing game stands against all the others.

Half you guys arguing for the PS3 are struggling to justify your waste of money. Still others are trying to duplicate nostalgic memmories of previous generations. Many are being stubborn and because of their pride can't go back on system war boasts. After you get past all of that I would imagine only a very select few of you are actually in it for the games. Ha. Hey it's your money. Your the ones missing out.

Last gen I owned all three because PS2 had the most games, Xbox had the best graphics, and Gamecube had great first party games. This time though it is a total no-brainer.

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

dont buy one if ever its a lackluster poor excuse for a console.

hardly any of the games are worth getting excited about and you named MGS already so yea you see my point there

the god awful controller which is pretty much unchanged since the ps1...no rumble..its not confortable..its like the sony people couldnt be bothered to update the design and just thought "hey its bound to sell well why bother updating it"

the console is huge and ugly

way to expensive - you can now get a core 360 for the price of a wii which is great why get a ps3 which games are mainly pathetic and get a 360 and a wii as well as there games are alot better and both have loads of games to get excited about

many games get delayed while the 360 version comes out on time

sony exclusives are making there way to 360/wii and if the current sales of ps3 continue the trend will no doubt continue

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 L1qu1dSword
Damn the cow pwnage is just amazing. I think Ill have a steak tonight.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Put simply, there is no point in buying one now unless:

You are a diehard Ratchet and Clank fan.

You think $600 is worth Resistance and Warhawk

You need that blu-ray player.

Otherwise I will sit contently with my ps2 and PC ( i have a 360 but i dont play it), and wait till 2008 and a price drop which would make the PS3 the best purchase a gamer could make.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 L1qu1dSword

Otherwise I will sit contently with my ps2 and PC ( i have a 360 but i dont play it), and wait till 2008 and a price drop which would make the PS3 the best purchase a gamer could make.

Koalakommander

Well what if you want great games THIS holiday season. 360 sure as hell has them. By next year they will have more. I can't wait for Ninja Gaiden 2.

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 bstarter29
Member since 2006 • 2339 Posts

Why would I buy a PS3?

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Uncharted
  • Unreal Tournament III
  • GTA IV
  • MGS4
  • MGO
  • MLB: The Show
  • GT5
  • GT 5 Prologue
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Call of Duty 4
  • White Knight Story
  • God of War III(it's inevitable)
  • Kingdom Hearts III(it'll most likely be on PS3)
  • Echochrome
  • Little Big Planet
  • Killzone 2
  • Ninja Gaiden: Sigma(I've still yet to play a 3D Ninja Gaiden)
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Free online

Other than that, I have NO reason to buy a PS3!

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Koalakommander
[QUOTE="Koalakommander"]

L1qu1dSword

Well what if you want great games THIS holiday season. 360 sure as hell has them. By next year they will have more. I can't wait for Ninja Gaiden 2.

There are people out there who don't like Halo 0_o.

UT3 anyone? This holiday season looks pretty bland save for the Wii. But I don't have one.

CFFAguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 CFFAguy
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts

Just having the sadisfaction of knowing that your system isnt going to crap out on you right before a big game comes out like halo is reason enough.

I mean really,I bet every lemming is **** bricks worried about RROD before helo 3.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 L1qu1dSword

Why would I buy a PS3?

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Uncharted
  • Unreal Tournament III also on 360. plus lets not forget Gears by the same dev.
  • GTA IV also on 360 only with downloadable content
  • MGS4 meh
  • MGO ??
  • MLB: The Show baseball games are not any better on PS3
  • GT5 by the time this is out 360 already had forza and two gotham games plus many more
  • GT 5 Prologue meh
  • Assassin's Creed also on 360
  • Call of Duty 4 also on 360
  • White Knight Story
  • God of War III(it's inevitable..... that Ninja Gaiden 2 will own it)
  • Kingdom Hearts III(it'll most likely be on PS3) that game is for kindergartners
  • Echochrome ???
  • Little Big Planet looks ok
  • Killzone 2 another "halo killer" lol
  • Ninja Gaiden: Sigma(I've still yet to play a 3D Ninja Gaiden) yeah why play an xbox 1 game on a next gen system. i allready mentiond ninja gaiden 2...
  • Resistance: Fall of Man please....
  • Resident Evil 5 also on 360
  • Free online

bstarter29

wow compelling case....

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Koalakommander
[QUOTE="bstarter29"]

Why would I buy a PS3?

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Uncharted
  • Unreal Tournament III also on 360. plus lets not forget Gears by the same dev.
  • MGS4 meh
  • MGO ??
  • GT5 by the time this is out 360 already had forza and two gotham games plus many more
  • GT 5 Prologue meh
  • White Knight Story
  • Kingdom Hearts III(it'll most likely be on PS3) that game is for kindergartners
  • Echochrome ???
  • Ninja Gaiden: Sigma(I've still yet to play a 3D Ninja Gaiden) yeah why play an xbox 1 game on a next gen system. i allready mentiond ninja gaiden 2...
  • Free online

L1qu1dSword

wow compelling case....

yes i suppose you destroyed his entire argument because you don't care for those games versus the millions who do :roll:

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 bstarter29
[QUOTE="bstarter29"]

Why would I buy a PS3?

• Ratchet and Clank
  • Uncharted
  • MGS4 meh
  • MGO ??
  • GT 5 Prologue meh
  • White Knight Story
  • Echochrome ???
  • Free online

L1qu1dSword

wow compelling case....

I know some of them are multiplats, but I still think that's a pretty damn good list. I listed a lot of exclusives too. Are you telling me you can't find one good exclusive on that list?

Wow.

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 bstarter29

Oh, I see you edited it while I was posting.

Oh, and Ninja Gaiden II owning God of War III? That won't be happening.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 L1qu1dSword

bstarter29

We'll see. i understand god of war is a cool IP, but it really did not blow me away like the recently unveiled screen shots of Ninja Gaiden 2 did. That game looks like the best action game ever. Besides that GOW won't be nearly as good without Jaffe you have to admit that.

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 bstarter29
[QUOTE="bstarter29"]

L1qu1dSword

We'll see. i understand god of war is a cool IP, but it really did not blow me away like the recently unveiled screen shots of Ninja Gaiden 2 did. That game looks like the best action game ever. Besides that GOW won't be nearly as good without Jaffe you have to admit that.

Actually, no I don't. I mean, Jaffe was awesome, and God of War 1 kicked ass. But I thought God of War II was better, and Jaffe wasn't the lead developer behind that. Cory Barlog was.

And Ninja Gaiden is awesome, and I love what I've seen from NG II, but I just like God of War more.

L1qu1dSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 L1qu1dSword
[QUOTE="L1qu1dSword"][QUOTE="bstarter29"]

bstarter29

Actually, no I don't. I mean, Jaffe was awesome, and God of War 1 kicked ass. But I thought God of War II was better, and Jaffe wasn't the lead developer behind that. Cory Barlog was.

And Ninja Gaiden is awesome, and I love what I've seen from NG II, but I just like God of War more.

fair enough. time will decide.