So... Who thinks WoW is one of the most overrated games ever?

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 heytheredarlin
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

Let's face it, this game is just a boring grind. It's a grind from 1-80, then it's a gear grind after that. Why is this game praised so much? I enjoyed Age of Conan more than I enjoyed this crap. Now before anyone says I didn't give it a try, I actually did reach level 80 and actually did raid for a bit and the game is still boring. Are people just giving this game high scores because It says Warcraft or Blizzard on the box? Seems like it.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Yeah, there are plenty of superior MMORPG's out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
..........It just seems like you do not enjoy MMORPG's at all.. One of its hallmarks is that mechanic, and Blizzard has been doing a great job in spicing it up especially when it comes to Cataclysm changes so far.. This is not coming from a WoW fanboy too, I honestly felt like I had more fun with Warhammer Online (though its flaws are what killed it for me in playing it for as long as WoW).. Everquest 2 I also had a lot of fun with the pve.. But it too had flaws including a sadely small population.. A gluttony of skills that made the game feel more like a smash fest then anything strategic.. WoW to this date imo is the most complete MMORPG (for fantasy type, I still need to try Eve Online someday) to date with having immense amounts of content, competitive pvp, unique character and talent tree... So really each character has at least 3 styles or types.. Not to mention its the one MMO that I see updated the most at this time, with the possible exception of Eve Online.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
If it was so overrated it wouldn't be played by 1000 quadrillion users. It's the most polished and user friendly MMO so it obviously deserves its praise. That's why other MMOs try to copy as much as they can. With that being said, I'm looking forward to Cataclysm. I won't need to buy another game for months to come.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

how can i trust your opinion when you have a mortal kombat thing in your sig?

Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

I know because mortal online was so...yeah it was bad

And darkfall it will be the ultima...yeah it sucked too

but what about that aion 1.5...it was small and ok i guess

And FF 14 man that game...that was just downright bad

And war will replace DAoC and be the greatest pvp...no it sucked, still sucked, will alway suck because current mythic and andy the spin guy cant do anything

Yep so many good mmo's that destroy wow. It is obviously a conspiracy and not becuase most mmo's like mortal online, the cheap item shot grinders, and so on are meh at best.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

CAPSROGUE

Please, tell us which one you're talking about. Oh Mr ConsoleFanboy?

Lord of the Rings Online, EVE Online, Lineage 2.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

CAPSROGUE

Painters gonna Paint.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#12 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Never played it, but everyone I know who has been addicted to it says they liked it because it was so fun. The numbers don't lie for this MMO, and it's not just hype. Millions of people love playing this game over and over and over again.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

Guild Wars, EVE Online, Lineage 2.

CAPSROGUE

Hahahahaha.

That kind of response(which I think can get you modded) leads me to believe you haven't played those games.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I think you sig really says everything that needs to be said about your tastes: You enjoy pointless juvenile violence. Its pretty much the only high point of Age of Conan. Now if it could only add in actual fun...

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I don't know about overrated. I mean if it compelled you to go level 80, it must be doing SOMETHING right.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

i have renewed my subscription to be ready for cataclysm. logged in last night for the first time in over a year and it just came flooding back how much i love the game and just forgot how nice it looks. if you don't like it just don't play it. its easy. imo no its not overrated at all.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 waltefmoney

I think you sig really says everything that needs to be said about your tastes: You enjoy pointless juvenile violence. Its pretty much the only high point of Age of Conan. Now if it could only add in actual fun...

XaosII

Age of Conan's PvP is incredibly fun.

CAPSROGUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CAPSROGUE
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

[QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

Hahahahaha.

That kind of response(which I think can get you modded) leads me to believe you haven't played those games.

Sure, removed. I doubt you've played any of those games.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I disagree, I think WoW is an incredible game (at least used too be, quit liked 3 years ago)
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dog_dirt

[QUOTE="CAPSROGUE"]

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

Please, tell us which one you're talking about. Oh Mr ConsoleFanboy?

Guild wars is not an MMO
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
The changes they have made makes it way better leveling now. Feels like a proper game for once.
DarkStraberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkStraberry
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
Travian!
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

I'm sure it's good to some, but it was so mindnumbingly boring I installed and deleted the free trial on the same day.

I enjoyed City of Heroes more, but after the novelty of these MMO's wears off it becomes apparent that the gameplay just leaves so much to be desired.After hearing such good things about DC:Universe, I'm very excited for it though.

What would be amazing if one of the console creaters would create a single player game that let's the character choose their superpowers, and then let them loose in a sandbox (with co-op support :) ) Like a godly love child of Infamous, City of Heroes and Crackdown.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 waltefmoney

Guild wars is not an MMOdog_dirt

According to the gaming press(including websites that focus only on MMO's), it is.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

WoW is a great game. If only they had'nt made it so accesable..... the community suffered greatly from that.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
not a big fan of wow, I enjoyed city of heroes and guild wars much more
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
It's not overrated, just cause you don't like something doesn't make it overrated.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]Guild wars is not an MMOwaltefmoney

According to the gaming press(including websites that focus only on MMO's), it is.

"According to" the game mechanics, it's not. What some guys say on it is irrelevant in the wake of hard facts.

Even developers themselves have said it's not an MMO.

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 heytheredarlin

XaosII

Wrong. Believe it or not people actually enjoy more than one game genre. Shocking I know. Now, care to come at me with a real argument this time?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XaosII

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]Guild wars is not an MMON30F3N1X

"According to" the game mechanics, it's not. What some guys say on it is irrelevant in the wake of hard facts.

Im not sure the classification matters. Its an issue of semantics. Whether or not its an MMO matters little for or against the argument because its peripheral to the argument posted.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

You can try playing it for a change. It is 5 dollars to buy the first one and you get the month for free. I sincerely say that in it's current state the game is fantastic, there are tons of fun quests. Considering the genre, it is the best game of it.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]Guild wars is not an MMON30F3N1X

Heh. But fair enough, a lot of people don't see Guild Wars as an MMO, so I guess I should edit the list.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
I do not think it's overrated.
Avatar image for ULTIMATEZWARRIO
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
Member since 2004 • 6026 Posts
Lol if you call WoW a big fat grind, then your really don't know MMORPGs then.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

You can try playing it for a change. It is 5 dollars to buy the first one and you get the month for free. I sincerely say that in it's current state the game is fantastic, there are tons of fun quests. Considering the genre, it is the best game of it.

Masculus

Indeed, many people make the mistake of treating it like a single player game. The real fun only really starts with temwork amongst friends or at least "friends". partying with self-serving randoms does not guarantee a good impression ;)

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N30F3N1X

Heh. But fair enough, a lot of people don't see Guild Wars as an MMO, so I guess I should edit the list.

waltefmoney

There's nothing to "Heh" about. If you dispute the validity of that statement, you're disputing your whole previous post.

Besides, developers know a thing or two more about a game THEY developed rather than some gaming illiterate game on the net (talking about the reviewers, don't take it personally).

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

N30F3N1X

There's nothing to "Heh" about. If you dispute the validity of that statement, you're disputing your whole previous post.

Besides, developers know a thing or two more about a game THEY developed rather than some gaming illiterate game on the net.

The guy can "Heh" all he wants. Seriously who cares if it's called an MMO or not?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N30F3N1X

The guy can "Heh" all he wants. Seriously who cares if it's called an MMO or not?

heytheredarlin

If you don't care, why are you bothering posting this in the first place and don't simply accept things as they've been stated?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XaosII

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

heytheredarlin

Wrong. Believe it or not people actually enjoy more than one game genre. Shocking I know. Now, care to come at me with a real argument this time?

What? Your sig is of a fighting game. AoC is an MMORPG. Clearly, those are already two different genres of games. But considering you chose to highlight the pointless violence of the upcoming MK game (an historically poor fighting series since after the SNES days) makes the correlation of AoC - another game with tons of pointless violence - fairly clear.

But fine, you want a more concrete argument: Show me a bigger grind in WoW than faction grinding or rare trophies in AoC.

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heytheredarlin

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

XaosII

What? Your sig is of a fighting game. AoC is an MMORPG. Clearly, those are already two different genres of games. But considering you chose to highlight the pointless violence of the upcoming MK game (an historically poor fighting series since after the SNES days) makes the correlation of AoC - another game with tons of pointless violence - fairly clear.

But fine, you want a more concrete argument: Show me a bigger grind in WoW than faction grinding from AoC.

Didn't make it that far in AoC. Don't know if that makes WoW sound better or worse.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

XaosII

But fine, you want a more concrete argument: Show me a bigger grind in WoW than faction grinding from AoC.

haha not that I agree with the TC but that was such a silly point to argue. Why wouldn't he highlight the violence of Mortal Kombat? It's freakin Mortal Kombat. That doesn't automatically define his taste as enjoying juvenile violence over everything else.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XaosII

Didn't make it that far in AoC. Don't know if that makes WoW sound better or worse.

heytheredarlin

That explains alot. You're were still in the "honeymoon" phase of AoC.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

A crap game is a crap game.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dog_dirt

A crap game is a crap game.

Mr_BillGates
opinion is opinion
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

No it isn't overrated... it takes a lot of your time unfortunatly to raid properly but if you make a good group of friends it is one of the best gaming experiences you can have, its all down to who you play it with at the end of the day however.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

When it was first released it was far from overrated. People only say it is overrated because it has been around for long.

Eggimannd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Eggimannd
Member since 2009 • 1734 Posts

Let's see a few of the things that make WoW such an amazing MMO:

• Without a doubt, by far the MMO with the most content on the market. I don't think any other MMO comes even close to the amount of Quests, PVP, Raiding, Professions, Monsters that WoW has.
  • A massively huge world with beautiful artwork that doesn't require a strong computer to work. Easily accessible specs for anyone.
  • Very user friendly. No other MMO is as easy to get into as WoW is. Even the noobest of players can easily manage to get through the game.
  • Gameplay. I have played a couple of MMOs and none has gameplay as intuitive as WoW does. The interface is indredibly well made and easy to use, the spells/actions work marvelously, it doesn't feel clunky like a lot of other MMOs do.

I played WoW for a total of about 120-150 days. It's addicting as hell (which is why it is so succesful and always makes people want to play some more) and when an MMO has 11 million subscribers, you know they must have done something dang right to get there.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#48 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Whether or not the game itself is overrated I don't know. I have never played it, and I probably never will because I hate MMOs with a passion. However, its social impact alone makes it one of the defining games of last genre, and seeing as millions of people still enjoy the game on a daily basis, it must be doing something right.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

• Without a doubt, by far the MMO with the most content on the market. I don't think any other MMO comes even close to the amount of Quests, PVP, Raiding, Professions, Monsters that WoW has.
  • A massively huge world with beautiful artwork that doesn't require a strong computer to work. Easily accessible specs for anyone.
  • Very user friendly. No other MMO is as easy to get into as WoW is. Even the noobest of players can easily manage to get through the game.
  • Gameplay. I have played a couple of MMOs and none has gameplay as intuitive as WoW does. The interface is indredibly well made and easy to use, the spells/actions work marvelously, it doesn't feel clunky like a lot of other MMOs do.

I played WoW for a total of about 120-150 days. It's addicting as hell (which is why it is so succesful and always makes people want to play some more) and when an MMO has 11 million subscribers, you know they must have done something dang right to get there.

Eggimannd

And like any other MMOs, WoW:

- is a big grindfest; you grind for levels and items, which is why it is too time consuming for normal people to play this game.

- is not story driven. - has the same stupid fantasy contents, such as Elves, Dwarfs, and magics.

- is based on Medieval theme and the aforementioned fantasy settings

- is not innovative because they are using the same gameplay---Grow skills, click 'n' kill, PVP,, etc.

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dog_dirt

[QUOTE="Eggimannd"]

Mr_BillGates

And like any other MMOs, WoW:

- is a big grindfest; you grind for levels and items, which is why it is too time consuming for normal people to play this game.

- is not story driven. - has the same stupid fantasy contents, such as Elves, Dwarfs, and magics.

- is based on Medieval theme and the aforementioned fantasy settings

- is not innovative because they are using the same gameplay---Grow skills, click 'n' kill, PVP,, etc.

you can distil any game down into its core gameplay. as long as that core gameplay if fun then that all that matters. and it seems the is a lot of people that find the WoW gameplay fun.