So what happened to Crysis 2 sales Crytek?

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

Crytek was aiming at 10 million by the end of the year instead they end up selling less than the original Crysis but in 3 platforms, lost their core fanbase and their fame as a legendary studio that creates cutting edge video games. Who is to blame now the pirates again? I don't think so. Any other pc gamers happy because of this outcome?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Crytek was aiming at 10 million by the end of the year instead they end up selling less than the original Crysis but in 3 platforms, lost their core fanbase and their fame as a legendary studio that creates cutting edge video games. Who is to blame now the pirates again? I don't think so. Any other pc gamers happy because of this outcome?

SamiRDuran
Since when was Crytek a legendary studio? Two good games a legendary studio does not make.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

It was never going to sell 10 million to start with.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

SamiRDuran

Is there a link for this information?

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Should have just made a great PC exclusive game instead of a mediocre multiplat game.

Game sold like crap because It was crap. Crysis 1 is 100x better then Crysis 2 on every level.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SamiRDuran
[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]

DarkLink77
Since when was Crytek a legendary studio? Two good games a legendary studio does not make.

They created a game that 4 years after is still miles ahead in terms of graphics. That fact alone makes them legendary. It's also the most dicussed game in history of sw.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
I'm pretty sure on all 3 platforms it sold more than Crysis 1 on PC alone. But it got nowhere near the BLOPS level sales that Crytek expected.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]

SamiRDuran

They created a game that 4 years after is still miles ahead in terms of graphics. That fact alone makes them legendary. It's also the most dicussed game in history of sw.

No, it doesn't.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
They were never aiming for 10 million. And the original Crysis took 3 years to get to 3 million.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
I'm pretty sure on all 3 platforms it sold more than Crysis 1 on PC alone. But it got nowhere near the BLOPS level sales that Crytek expected.ferret-gamer
first one sold about 3 mil last I heard. the second one I am not sure but I don't think it performed that well. You gotta realize that Crysis 1 had a 22 mil budget, so in the end Crytek made some good profits, same can not be said about Crysis 2. Watch them blame pirates lol.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#11 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

WTF? When was Crytek a legendary studio? :lol:

This is what you get when people are fanboys. They think one or two good games makes a developer legendary and then they bag on them when they go multiplat.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

It sold more than Crysis but not BlOps level

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

The console owners are happy though lol.

The game started off slow for me but by the end i was having a blast with it.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drakekratos
Member since 2011 • 2311 Posts
crysis is too cliche for my liking.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

SamiRDuran

crysis has been graphics king for so long because no one else is trying. epic, id and many others could easily outdo crytek

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Since when was Crytek a legendary studio? Two good games a legendary studio does not make.DarkLink77

No, it doesn't.

yes, it does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]I'm pretty sure on all 3 platforms it sold more than Crysis 1 on PC alone. But it got nowhere near the BLOPS level sales that Crytek expected.muscleserge
first one sold about 3 mil last I heard. the second one I am not sure but I don't think it performed that well. You gotta realize that Crysis 1 had a 22 mil budget, so in the end Crytek made some good profits, same can not be said about Crysis 2. Watch them blame pirates lol.

Crysis 2 has been out since 2007?

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

SamiRDuran

Camarillo told in a podcast that they were aiming towards 7 million units, not 10, but so far will be hard to the game reach 3 millions, I think.

And what happened is that Crysis 2 isn't as good as his prepursor, neither in visuals, gameplay, story or multiplayer, so they lost ground in the PC hardcore community and at the same time didn't gain enought momentum in the console scene to build a huge success.

Is important also to take in consideration how important is a popular mp in the fps world: now that Crysis 2 is on consoles if you don't like the mp the campaign is a thing that you can simply run on a rental weekend, which hurts sales.

This is in fact one of the dangers that MW3 must confront: if the multiplayer fails to compete against Battlefield 3 I can see some millions of units sold turned into just weekend rentals...

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
I hope Crysis 2 doesn't reflect the quality of Crysis 1, Crysis 2 bored to death, I turned it in a day early it was so bad.
SirDigby84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SirDigby84
Member since 2011 • 293 Posts
Crysis 2 is a great game by console fps standards, but the original is so much better. The open map and multiple way to clear each stage was kinda going back to old school fps with huge maps rather than the corridor explosion filled ones we have today.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

They did make Farcry, Crysis and Warhead. That makes them legendary to me.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

alexandros1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alexandros1313
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts

Crytek made the game on a vastly higher budget compared to the original (they said so themselves). They released the game on three platofroms, spent a ton of money on marketing and advertising and they barely managed two thirds of the sales of the original so far. The game doesn't have any legs whatsoever because it now has a terrible reputation in the PC community. It's a pity, because I've heard that it's quite a fun game. I hope that Crytek learn from their mistakes and design their next game with the PC as the lead platform.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#23 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
has anyone here got some actual sales data for crysis 2? and I dont even remember crytek saying they were aiming for 10 millions with crysis 2...this thread fails and its filled with unchecked info

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

has anyone here got some actual sales data for crysis 2? and I dont even remember crytek saying they were aiming for 10 millions with crysis 2...this thread fails and its filled with unchecked infolightleggy
We have vgchartz and EA saying they shipped 2 million units.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SamiRDuran

Crytek made the game on a vastly higher budget compared to the original (they said so themselves). They released the game on three platofroms, spent a ton of money on marketing and advertising and they barely managed two thirds of the sales of the original so far. The game doesn't have any legs whatsoever because it now has a terrible reputation in the PC community. It's a pity, because I've heard that it's quite a fun game. I hope that Crytek learn from their mistakes and design their next game with the PC as the lead platform.

alexandros1313

my thoughts exactly, developers shouldn't expect their game to sell tons more because it's on consoles. they look at cod but cod is a freak of nature. Same thing happened with WoW and developers storming to grab some of its marketshare but all of them failed miserably. Crysis 2 could have been a masterpiece that people would be talking for years. Instead it's just another mediocre fps that is overshadowed by it's predecessor that no one will remember.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cranler

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]has anyone here got some actual sales data for crysis 2? and I dont even remember crytek saying they were aiming for 10 millions with crysis 2...this thread fails and its filled with unchecked infoferret-gamer

retail is always about the number shipped. i guess this doesnt iclude digital sales which makeup at least half of the pc version sales.

s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
Any other pc gamers happy because of this outcome?SamiRDuran
I am happy, Crytek is smart & I'm sure is working on some sort of an expansion that tells the story of Nomad & Psycho. Or may be they're dumb enough to make Crysis 3 already. btw, a tech demo for CryEngine3 is being developed by City Interactive. It's called "Sniper : Ghost Warrior 2" lmao. Demo video available on IGN.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11815 Posts

They were never aiming for 10 million. And the original Crysis took 3 years to get to 3 million. AAllxxjjnn

Don't forget the 3 years of hardware advancement to run it casually ;)

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Oh, they were aiming for 10 million sales? That sounds ridiculously optimistic on their part, but since you posted that it must be true.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cranler

[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"]They were never aiming for 10 million. And the original Crysis took 3 years to get to 3 million. NoodleFighter

Don't forget the 3 years of hardware advancement to run it casually ;)

dont forget the pc version of crysis 2 launched at $10 higher and sold far more digitally. digital is almost 3X more profitable than retail.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm not happy it wasn't successful... I'm just happy they get to chew on that arrogant smugness now.
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Can we get some official numbers on the sales of crysis 1 vs crysis 2? If crysis 1 sold better than crysis 2 ( the 3 platforms combined) then i would LOL!
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
I'm not happy it wasn't successful... I'm just happy they get to chew on that arrogant smugness now.foxhound_fox
This. I'd prefer to see all good devs make money so they can keep making games. But it is nice that they have something to think about now, instead of just assuming that gamers are gonna eat up whatever they put out.
dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

cloak engaged?

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
They deserve it. They abandoned me. And you. And them. just for another $... One that they never even got.. BUUURRRNNNN
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

SamiRDuran

I hope not. It honestly seems more destructive to the industry than anything to be happy that any developer has failed.

I didn't even think the first Crysis was that gripping, but whatever. I think it's strange that people are so ready to attack Crytek because of one game. Apparently Warband: Of Fire and Sword has some questionable design decisions too, and let's not for IL-2 Sturmovike: Cliffs Of Dover scoring a 4.0 here. I don't see the difference between the latter two developers making a subpar sequel, and the Crytek situation other than the former being multiplat and the other two being exclusives. It seems Crytek is only under fire because it's so easy to target them for "consolization"

If Crytek should be called out for changing so much and underdelivering, then every developer, regardless of PC/Console exclusivity should also be called out for the same thing.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

The game still looks intresting and I intend to pick it up.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11815 Posts

Oh, they were aiming for 10 million sales? That sounds ridiculously optimistic on their part, but since you posted that it must be true.

Pug-Nasty

I remember near the date of when Crysis was launched Cevat Yerli was complaining about how it only sold 1 mil and that if the game were on consoles it would have sold 5 to 6 timesmore copies. I Guess GSC world and CD projekt were laughing hard at them and Ubisoft since Stalker shadow of Cherynobyl sold 2 million it's first year and The Witcher sold 1.5 million copes and it was their first game XD

I bet if Crysis were released around this time it would of sold better since the hardware back then was basically its **** Even game reviewers had to play the game on lower settings like medium. The main hype about Crysis was graphics am I the only one who remembers all that in-game footage at Max settings barely anyone got to play.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Can we get some official numbers on the sales of crysis 1 vs crysis 2? If crysis 1 sold better than crysis 2 ( the 3 platforms combined) then i would LOL!Solid_Tango
Already asked for a link. No link was provided.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SamiRDuran

[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"]Can we get some official numbers on the sales of crysis 1 vs crysis 2? If crysis 1 sold better than crysis 2 ( the 3 platforms combined) then i would LOL!Hexagon_777

google is your friend :)
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Since when was Crytek a legendary studio? Two good games a legendary studio does not make.DarkLink77

No, it doesn't.

I agree...It doesn't at all.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
They're evidently not happy, we haven't heard their PR glowing post release. I'm not happy either though. Crysis 2 is a good game, even if it's a step back from Crysis in so many ways. It's a shame really on multiple levels.
roscoedash23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 roscoedash23
Member since 2010 • 115 Posts

if this was a new IP or not a direct sequel it would have done better ... hermit game reviewers hated on the game so much for no reason.

It was great for consoles.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"]Can we get some official numbers on the sales of crysis 1 vs crysis 2? If crysis 1 sold better than crysis 2 ( the 3 platforms combined) then i would LOL!SamiRDuran

How could a website be my friend? How could i even establish a human-website relationship, is that even real? And if google could indeed be my friend, can i get Yahoo to be my fiance?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Already asked for a link. No link was provided.

Solid_Tango

How could a website be my friend? How could i even establish a human-website relationship, is that even real? And if google could indeed be my friend, can i get Yahoo to be my fiance?

Google is guitar right now. Some musicians think of their instruments as people.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I don't know. How much did Crysis sell in it's lifetime, and how much has Crysis 2 sold in 3 months?

SamiRDuran

No. I am not impressed by that, they created a game with future hardware in mind only a very small number of people could run it on highest settings when it came out.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]has anyone here got some actual sales data for crysis 2? and I dont even remember crytek saying they were aiming for 10 millions with crysis 2...this thread fails and its filled with unchecked infoferret-gamer

vg chartz? then we aint got crap :lol: and still digital downloads are like half of the sales. also, despise what anyone else says, crysis 2 is actually a great game
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
One thing this thread is missing: Numbers. Where are the amount of copies sold for each game?
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Solid_Tango"]Can we get some official numbers on the sales of crysis 1 vs crysis 2? If crysis 1 sold better than crysis 2 ( the 3 platforms combined) then i would LOL!SamiRDuran

I googled it, all I found was this: Crysis 2 Huge Success

Next time, just put a link in the starting post instead of being lazy. You're the TC, if you're starting a thread based on news/event/info then back up your argument with a link, it's not that hard.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lightleggy

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Already asked for a link. No link was provided.

metroidfood

I googled it, all I found was this: Crysis 2 Huge Success

Next time, just put a link in the starting post instead of being lazy. You're the TC, if you're starting a thread based on news/event/info then back up your argument with a link, it's not that hard.

ok, we all got it now, Crysis 2 was a great success and tc was just a hater, we can move on now