so the Wii was supposed to be a fad huh?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I saw people partying cause the xbox 360 surpassed the ps3 in sales this month, when Nintendo just destroyed all the competition. Now this isn't fad, this is status quo. I guess it's just time to take our hats off to

Nov. NPD

PlayStation 2 203.1K
PlayStation 3 710.4K
PSP 293.9K
Xbox 360 819.5K
Wii 1.26M
Nintendo DS 1.70M

*ps2 + ps3 + psp don't even make Wii sales

HermitQ6600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HermitQ6600
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts

I don't see the appeal. The system is just cheap garbage to me.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Yes we get it. Wii, unexpectingly became market leader.

ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

Not a fad. Just appeals to a larger audience.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

I'm the kind of guy who can roll with the punches for a while, and I was certainly willing to play along when everyone was surprised that the Wii was a runaway hit, but really...there's NO WAY anyone is surprised by this anymore. So I guess I don't see why people are still acting so surprised.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aia89

HermitQ6600
yeah everyone says that.. but the real world seems to think otherwise. Nintendo isn't even bothering releasing many high profile games.. they just found the key to success. we've gotta admit it, whether they produce garbage or not. I do not own a Wii, but I remember that EVERYONE laughed at the Wii when it was officially presented.. no one thought it'd be that successful. But they managed to deliver just what the majority of people wanted to. - fun - and the "it's a childish with crappy graphics console" argument just doesn't cut it. we all know that children are a big slice of the gaming market. so, what are we talking about? the other two colossuses just didn't understand it and Nintendo just took off.
wirey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wirey87
Member since 2009 • 337 Posts

the funniest thing is cows and lems fighting for second place :lol:

Sickology101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sickology101
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts

I own a Wii, nothing so great about it.

It's a little kid console so of course its gonna sell.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

I prefer quality, and for the people I know who own a Wii, it's nothing more than a dust collector for them. I really see no appeal of the Wii, and I had a Gamecube last gen (which was amazing).

Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts

Sickology101
Just when I was about to reply to this stupid comment, I noticed your level and number of posts.
wirey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wirey87
Member since 2009 • 337 Posts

I prefer quality, and for the people I know who own a Wii, it's nothing more than a dust collector for them. I really see no appeal of the Wii, and I had a Gamecube last gen (which was amazing).

taj7575
quality... did you take a look at the Wii's lineup in 2010? or wait, are you one of these "quality=shoot and kill" guys?
Sickology101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sickology101

[QUOTE="Sickology101"]

Arbiterisl33t69

Just when I was about to reply to this stupid comment, I noticed your level and number of posts.

What makes it a stupid comment, may i ask?

I was just in Best Buy 3 hours ago and nothing but little kid flocking the Wii section. I wasnt hating on the Wii.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
[QUOTE="Sickology101"]

Arbiterisl33t69

I DON'T own a Wii, nothing so great about it. It's a little kid console so of course it's gonna sell.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
[QUOTE="taj7575"]

wirey87
quality... did you take a look at the Wii's lineup in 2010? or wait, are you one of these "quality=shoot and kill" guys?

Personally, I'm an RPG gamer. Which is why I'm getting a PS3.
Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

[QUOTE="Arbiterisl33t69"][QUOTE="Sickology101"]

Sickology101

What makes it a stupid comment, may i ask?

I was just in Best Buy 3 hours ago and nothing but little kid flocking the Wii section. I wasnt hating on the Wii.

Man I was at GameStop today and a bunch of little kids were there flocking to the Xbox 360 section, I guess its a kiddy console too.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 taj7575

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

wirey87

No. I actually prefer good games..Look at the two I am playing right now. Neither of them are on the wii.

The only Wii game I would ever want is TP, which is the only zelda Ive never played, consoles and handheld included.

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jamisonia

I was only stating one example of how it's a kid console, don't be a doushe.

Sickology101

Excuse you. You're the one that concluded the Wii was a kiddy console based on your Best Buy experience. Why can't I do that with my Gamestop experience?

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

[QUOTE="HermitQ6600"]

aia89

yeah everyone says that.. but the real world seems to think otherwise. Nintendo isn't even bothering releasing many high profile games.. they just found the key to success. we've gotta admit it, whether they produce garbage or not. I do not own a Wii, but I remember that EVERYONE laughed at the Wii when it was officially presented.. no one thought it'd be that successful. But they managed to deliver just what the majority of people wanted to. - fun - and the "it's a childish with crappy graphics console" argument just doesn't cut it. we all know that children are a big slice of the gaming market. so, what are we talking about? the other two colossuses just didn't understand it and Nintendo just took off.

Actually the real world does think it's crap.

Just because it sells alot doesn't mean it's awesome. I'm curious to see how many of these Wiis that get sold get turned on more than once a month, because i seriously doubt it would be higher than 360.A couple of my aunts have it, and I know i'm the only one that plays it.

It sells so well because casuals think it would be cool to play bowling and tennis, or casuls think Wii Fit will help them lose weight. Actually if not for Wii Sports or Wii Fit I wonder if Wii would've ever been nearly as succesful as it is.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aia89
[QUOTE="wirey87"][QUOTE="taj7575"]

Greyfeld

Personally, I'm an RPG gamer. Which is why I'm getting a PS3.

how exactly is the ps3 excelling on the rpg department?
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aia89

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="HermitQ6600"]

RAGINGxPONY

Just because it sells alot doesn't mean it's awesome. I'm curious to see how many of these Wiis that get sold get turned on more than once a month, because i seriously doubt it would be higher than 360.A couple of my aunts have it, and I know i'm the only one that plays it.

It sells so well because casuals think it would be cool to play bowling and tennis, or casuls think Wii Fit will help them lose weight. Actually if not for Wii Sports or Wii Fit I wonder if Wii would've ever been nearly as succesful as it is.

so you're saying people are stupid. like they buy things and don't use them?
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Nintendo wasn't interested in winning our praise this gen. They wanted to make profit. That's the purpose in business. We are gamers, and like to take this a bit more seriously than the general population, but it's business. That's why MS doesn't care if games are on PC and 360, and they still call them exclusive. That's why Sony was in no hurry out of the gate with games, instead winning a format war. They don't care about us, our opinions, or SW definitions. It's business, and that's about profit. Nintendo wins, this gen.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 taj7575

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

[QUOTE="aia89"] yeah everyone says that.. but the real world seems to think otherwise. Nintendo isn't even bothering releasing many high profile games.. they just found the key to success. we've gotta admit it, whether they produce garbage or not. I do not own a Wii, but I remember that EVERYONE laughed at the Wii when it was officially presented.. no one thought it'd be that successful. But they managed to deliver just what the majority of people wanted to. - fun - and the "it's a childish with crappy graphics console" argument just doesn't cut it. we all know that children are a big slice of the gaming market. so, what are we talking about? the other two colossuses just didn't understand it and Nintendo just took off. aia89

You'd be surpried how many people do that, with any product really.

Sickology101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sickology101

[QUOTE="Sickology101"]

I was only stating one example of how it's a kid console, don't be a doushe.

Jamisonia

Excuse you. You're the one that concluded the Wii was a kiddy console based on your Best Buy experience. Why can't I do that with my Gamestop experience?

How was i saying it was kiddy console by my one trip to Best Buy when i clearly stated there reasons behind it, i just simply stated one example. I understand your defending a console you like and hell i like it for bowling games, but seriously dont get all upset over it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cainetao11
I guess I don't live in "the real world" because I don't think the Wii is crap. I enjoy the games I play on it.
RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RAGINGxPONY

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

[QUOTE="aia89"] yeah everyone says that.. but the real world seems to think otherwise. Nintendo isn't even bothering releasing many high profile games.. they just found the key to success. we've gotta admit it, whether they produce garbage or not. I do not own a Wii, but I remember that EVERYONE laughed at the Wii when it was officially presented.. no one thought it'd be that successful. But they managed to deliver just what the majority of people wanted to. - fun - and the "it's a childish with crappy graphics console" argument just doesn't cut it. we all know that children are a big slice of the gaming market. so, what are we talking about? the other two colossuses just didn't understand it and Nintendo just took off. aia89

Exactly what I am saying....

I'm going to guess %75 of Wiis get turned on less than once a month. That's from my experience anyways.

However PS3s and 360s are bought by actual gamers not Grandmas, so I would say the majority of people that buy the 360 and PS3 use them.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 taj7575

I guess I don't live in "the real world" because I don't think the Wii is crap. I enjoy the games I play on it. cainetao11

Theres no problem at all with you enjoying it. I'm just saying I'm not interested in it.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Personally, I'm an RPG gamer. Which is why I'm getting a PS3.Greyfeld

:lol: You should be getting a Nintendo DS and even if you had a Nintendo DS your best option would be another Nintendo DS.

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jamisonia

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

RAGINGxPONY

I'm going to guess %75 of Wiis get turned on less than once a month. That's from my experience anyways.

However PS3s and 360s are bought by actual gamers not Grandmas, so I would say the majority of people that buy the 360 and PS3 use them.

75% of statistics are made up on the spot

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

RAGINGxPONY

What orifice did you pull those statistics out of?

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RAGINGxPONY

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

Burning-Sludge

When did I say it was a fact?

I clearly said I'm going to GUESS. Do you know what guess means or do you need an explanation?

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

I'm the kind of guy who can roll with the punches for a while, and I was certainly willing to play along when everyone was surprised that the Wii was a runaway hit, but really...there's NO WAY anyone is surprised by this anymore. So I guess I don't see why people are still acting so surprised.

jalexbrown
omg i love your avitar XD i love Higurashi
Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jamisonia

[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

RAGINGxPONY

I clearly said I'm going to GUESS. Do you know what guess means or do you need an explanation?

75% seems unreasonably high though.

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RAGINGxPONY

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

[QUOTE="Burning-Sludge"]

Jamisonia

Maybe it is, butfrom my experiences, most peoplethat bought a Wii rarely uses it unless they have a party at their house.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cainetao11

[QUOTE="cainetao11"]I guess I don't live in "the real world" because I don't think the Wii is crap. I enjoy the games I play on it. taj7575

Theres no problem at all with you enjoying it. I'm just saying I'm not interested in it.

Cool. I was referring to a post that stated the real world thinks the Wii is crap. Nobody knows what the world thinks of anything. We only know our opinion, and some info from the people we know. Even if I knew 1 million people, this console has sold near 60 million. It is just ridiculous, ego stroke, Wii bashing. Now this console does not get the playing time my Elite or PS3 gets, but it has given me some cool experiences.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shadow_hosi

[QUOTE="Jamisonia"]

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

RAGINGxPONY

Maybe it is, butfrom my experiences, most peoplethat bought a Wii rarely uses it unless they have a party at their house.

true as that may be, it gets turned on alot more than my ps3 and x360
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

I'm not necessarily saying the Wii is a fad but I don't think that just because the Wii has sold a lot of units and still sells 3 years in disqualifies it from being a fad...

40 million Furby's were sold... 70 million Tamagochis... and I still consider those as "fads."

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 taj7575

[QUOTE="taj7575"]

[QUOTE="cainetao11"]I guess I don't live in "the real world" because I don't think the Wii is crap. I enjoy the games I play on it. cainetao11

Cool. I was referring to a post that stated the real world thinks the Wii is crap. Nobody knows what the world thinks of anything. We only know our opinion, and some info from the people we know. Even if I knew 1 million people, this console has sold near 60 million. It is just ridiculous, ego stroke, Wii bashing. Now this console does not get the playing time my Elite or PS3 gets, but it has given me some cool experiences.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. The Wii definitely has a good amount of games to offer, but that just doesnt appeal to me, except for a few exceptions.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

shadow_hosi

It really is a great anime, a bit bizarre but a very interesting ride nonetheless. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to spend the money to buy the box set on Amazon.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shadow_hosi
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"]

jalexbrown

It really is a great anime, a bit bizarre but a very interesting ride nonetheless. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to spend the money to buy the box set on Amazon.

mmmm get that and elfen lied :P
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

OP needs to use SW logic. PS3 is in first place and Wii has died off and soon Nintendo will be making Mario games for Sony/Microsoft!

suntaice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 suntaice
Member since 2006 • 786 Posts

OP needs to use SW logic. PS3 is in first place and Wii has died off and soon Nintendo will be making Mario games for Sony/Microsoft!

Pixel-Pirate

There is no logic in system wars. Everything is backwards.

Thewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Thewbacca
Member since 2006 • 3197 Posts
[QUOTE="taj7575"]

wirey87

An expansion pack sequel, a sequel for a series that was only good because it was new, and a sequel to an overhyped and underdelivering FPS. Yes, thats a really compelling argument. I'm gonna be over here with the sequel to one of the greatest games of all time, a new IP from Rockstar and a new game from Team Ico, the biggest leap in interactive storytelling in years, and the Dreamcast library.
bragac200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bragac200
Member since 2003 • 1161 Posts

it is...

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

It sure isnt a fad to me cause in order for it to be a fad it would have had to appeal to me atleast once. I can only hope that next gen Nintendo releases a console that isnt directed soley at casual's so i can actually get a chance to play Metroid Prime, Mario, and Zelda.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

It was in Japan and still is in America.

It's not a fad in Japan anymore though; the sales are linked back up to game releases now instead of just selling like crazy when no games are even being released.

As long as people are buying the wii like it's a really expensive excercize video in America, it's a fad.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

RAGINGxPONY

Dude...

you have the Leafs logo nest to the Stanley Cup...HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO TAKE ANYTHING YOU SAY SERIOUSLY!?!?!?

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

It was in Japan and still is in America.

It's not a fad in Japan anymore though; the sales are linked back up to game releases now instead of just selling like crazy when no games are even being released.

As long as people are buying the wii like it's a really expensive excercize video in America, it's a fad.

hakanakumono

So the fact that it's outsold the other two consoles by a ridiculous margin isn't enough to convince you?