So I gave FFXIII a fair shake.... better late than never?

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I was wrong... this game is...... quite good. One of the better Jrpg's I've played this gen. The only one I've enjoyed as much was Lost Odyssey. After 15 hours, the game really started to pick up, I dont mind the linearity of it, cuz well most JRPG's are extremely linear anyway.

I'm playin on the 360... ya ya i know.... but I sold my PS3, so that wasn't an option. Besides I wouldnt be able to enjoy the robust MP in it, if I had a PS3... haha, j/k... (pause for effect).... I know PSN is down.... :P

I think FFXIII would be my 3rd or 4th fav.FF... behind FFX, FFVII & FFVI

The game is far from perfect... but imo, you could do much MUCH worse in the genre. ie: Star Ocean 4

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#2 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
I just completed FFXIII a few days ago. Loved (pretty much) every second of it. Some of the bosses were a bit cheap, but I can live with that.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I thought it was good from the middle onwards. They shouldn't have made it so linear. Once you get out in the world map it's like a different game.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

After 15 hours, the game really started to pick up,

moistsandwich
That made me laugh for some reason. Most games are over twice by then. I can understand when people don't want to wait for 15 hours until a game picks up. I've yet to try it. It's on the top of my backlog though next to Heavy Rain and Lords of Shadow.
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

I hope FF XIII-2 will catch up what was missed, everyone can be happy :)

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
I loved ff13 as well. My biggest issue wasn't so much the linear nature of the game, but the way it didn't let you fight with 3 party members for a very very long time. Fighting with just 1 or 2 is pretty unexciting.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

I was wrong... this game is...... quite good. One of the better Jrpg's I've played this gen. The only one I've enjoyed as much was Lost Odyssey. After 15 hours, the game really started to pick up, I dont mind the linearity of it, cuz well most JRPG's are extremely linear anyway.

I'm playin on the 360... ya ya i know.... but I sold my PS3, so that wasn't an option. Besides I wouldnt be able to enjoy the robust MP in it, if I had a PS3... haha, j/k... (pause for effect).... I know PSN is down.... :P

The game is far from perfect... but imo, you could do much MUCH worse in the genre. ie: Star Ocean 4

moistsandwich
What? I'm confused at how other OPEN WORLD jrpg's are linear.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

ShadowriverUB
This is my hope. I liked a lot of stuff in XIII, it was still basically an on-rails RPG though. Hopefully now that they have an idea (they started FFXIII really late in development cycle due to conflicts) and an engine (since the rest of the time they spent working on FFXIII was building the engine), they can make a more traditional type of FF game.
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Combat doesn't make any sense, characters are lifeless. Graphics are good though.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#10 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Combat doesn't make any sense, characters are lifeless. Graphics are good though.

2-10-08
The combat worked perfectly, what are you talking about?
Avatar image for Deadman_est1982
Deadman_est1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Deadman_est1982
Member since 2004 • 1188 Posts

If it didn't have the Final Fantasy named attached to it, I suppose it would've been decent but this game is at the bottom of the Final Fantasy barrel for me. The graphics were great. The combat was okay but for some reason I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters. The story was meh. Bland characters and an uninteresting story makes for a bad game in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

I finished the game about a year ago, never did a final fantasy took me this long to finish. I couldn't play the game more then two hours each time or i would get bored to death. I even spent 3 weeks without playing it at one point. For a game of my favourite franchise it's kinda bad

this game just didn't do it for me. I hated all the characters except sazh, the story had potential but was excuted so poorly that you had to read the database for it to make more sense ( but still didn't). There was a lot and i mean a lot of pointless cutscenes

The combat was limited, only one character can be controled. very cheap death. the combat wasn't all that bad but it was too restricted.

I didn't like the linearity in FFX and I sure didn't like it in that game. At least FFX had a lot of content in the game.

the only things i liked about the game was the music, graphics and art direction other then that I wish I never played it

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I thought most of the characters were really good, the story was interesting (storytelling a bit poor though), & the world was great, except some environments were a bit strange.. Especially the monster-pen in that forest. It seemed really unrealistic & out of place. Enemy design was a bit poor in general (floating cubes etc) but there were some cool enemies also. Vanille was a bit annoying & Hopes outfit was atrocious.

But other than that, thumbs up.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I thought most of the characters were really good, the story was interesting (storytelling a bit poor though), & the world was great, except some environments were a bit strange.. Especially the monster-pen in that forest. It seemed really unrealistic & out of place. Enemy design was a bit poor in general (floating cubes etc) but there were some cool enemies also. Vanille was a bit annoying & Hopes outfit was atrocious.

Twin-Blade
Yeah I thought the story was going in interesting ways, and I enjoyed the ending. There was just a bit too much "l'cie" "fal'cie" every 3 seconds before you're even told what they are. :P
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
After my friend explained how linear it is im still in the position of "Should or should i not"... I've been spoiled with JRPG's and TRPG's with my DS.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
ye it was good but i didnt like it as much as ffx
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
the games was good just not great. And overall it was pretty easy to beat. Going for the platinum was a grind though
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I was also thinking of picking it up and giving it a fair try. I never bought it or even played it (thought it was a day one :() because of all the bad I hear. My friend said it was bad as well, but lately him and I have been dissagreeing :P.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The problem is the garbage first 12 hours or so that bog the game down before you get to the actual good stuff. If they had fixed the pacing of the game it could have been great.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
I have to laugh, a employee at the local GS talked a person out of buying the game. They said you want to know what the levels are like, and he help up a power cord and straightened it out. The customer put the game back. :lol:
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I have to laugh, a employee at the local GS talked a person out of buying the game. They said you want to know what the levels are like, and he help up a power cord and straightened it out. The customer put the game back. :lol:Heil68

Thats pretty funny actually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-594be627b82ba
[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]After my friend explained how linear it is im still in the position of "Should or should i not"... I've been spoiled with JRPG's and TRPG's with my DS.

do yourself a favour and avoid that game at all cost
Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts
Game gets too much hate, the story is solid(if you did some additional reading within the game) and the game is generally entertaining from start to finish, the final hour is excellent. It lacks the class of 6, 8 or 10 but I blame that on the lack of scale to the game because it's so linear - You never really felt like you were part of a larger world. The battle system is fun, but also seemed to lack some freedom. Game deserved it's reviews - AA.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I really don't think the datalog was ever meant to be read or included in the first place. The redundant nature of the datalog makes me think it's just a collection of all the summaries that appear on the "now loading" screens when you restart your game.

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

I really don't think the datalog was ever meant to be read or included in the first place. The redundant nature of the datalog makes me think it's just a collection of all the summaries that appear on the "now loading" screens when you restart your game.

hakanakumono
...but without it you only had the weak story telling from the cutscenes.
Metaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metaw
Member since 2010 • 387 Posts

I've expressed my love for the game before but the only thing I didn't like was some of the locations, I wanted it to be more green, more cozy that way.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts
It was terrible. Don't know how I had the stomach to finish the game. You couldn't pay me to playthrough that again. That and Gears 2 are my biggest let downs this gen.
DarkStraberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkStraberry
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
The first 50 hours were slow then the game picks up. But seriously, Trails in the Sky is a good example of a game that starts slow but is not boring. It's due to good combat and excellent dialogues.FFXIII's combat can get boring becuse it is not hands-on as much and the dialogues consist of petty one-liners (looking at you Snow). But it is a Final Fantasy game so yo have to play it.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Kan0nF0dder

...but without it you only had the weak story telling from the cutscenes.

For the most part, it should be easy to figure out what's going on. Later in the game it becomes a problem because certain events make no sense. But for the most part, you're supposed to just listen to what they're saying and piece together what's going on as you go. It's not a traditional storytelling format, but it's still a valid one.

The game is for the most part poorly told, however.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

I'm also on my first playtrough, i think is a very good game, not the best JRPG so far, but it is a good game, i'm like 7 hours into the game, the liniarity is a good/bad situation for me, sometimes it is pretty boring, sometimes is good because it take you right to the action, the story is kind of a mess, however, the battle system is amazing, i'm really enjoying this part of the game, is so deep and rewarding, besides the music and graphics are pretty good too, so yeah, i'm agree with you, the game is far from perfect but not the awful game some people were claiming.

Hopefully XIII-2 will improve this formula.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i'm sure for the 15 or so bucks you can get it for now it's more than worth it. i will definitely get it sometime.
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dibdibdobdobo
[QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]After my friend explained how linear it is im still in the position of "Should or should i not"... I've been spoiled with JRPG's and TRPG's with my DS.

Its avoided now. The notion of me buying a main FF franchise again has gone.
35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

This game is terrible. It had a bad story, the characters were terrible, it was so damn boring at times and the combat was like a cornish pasty filled with maggot-infested human meat. How I completed this game is beyond me.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Ill admit I probably didnt give the game an all around fair playthrough myself. Kinda droned through the game at one point, but I do remember I very much enjoyed it. Lately Ive REALLY been meaning to get back to it as Ive been watching my sister play it. Seems like Ill be able to appreciate it more with another playthrough.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

If it didn't have the Final Fantasy named attached to it, I suppose it would've been decent but this game is at the bottom of the Final Fantasy barrel for me. The graphics were great. The combat was okay but for some reason I just couldn't get attached to any of the characters. The story was meh. Bland characters and an uninteresting story makes for a bad game in my opinion.

Deadman_est1982
This absolutely hits the nail on the head for me. The graphics are incredible IMO; they're the best i've seen in a game i've owned, so they were really impressive. The characters were less impressive, the only character with substance was Sazh and even he wasn't an incredible character. The story was pahhh. And yeah, i agree, bland characters and a meh story is never a good sign for a JRPG. It wasn't a bad game by any means, it just wasn't that good, the FF 'charm' was never there.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#36 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII is one of my favorite RPGs and one of my top five games from last year. It takes a few hours to get going, but after the fifth hour I started to get intrigued and it just got better the further I got into it. I didn't think I'd get so addicted to a game's battle system that I'd intentionally decide to go after as many Cie'th Stone missions and try to level up my characters to their max. Still not finished with that since it's quite time-consuming, but I've never gone so crazy for post-game content in an RPG before. :P

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono

The battle system is really fun.

As for the linearity, less would be better ... but I think I care less about linearity and more about the graphical design of the locations. A game can have an absolute maze, but I'm probably not going to care much unless I find it somehow interesting. Even if FFXIII was linear, I found a lot of the locations interesting enough that it didn't matter to me. And besides, the linearity has been exaggerated.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I came into FF 13 really not expecting much and came out really pleasantly surprised. I loved the FF series until 10 and then it was all terrible. Personally think FF13 is the best JRPG this gen but this is actually not me saying it's that great of a game it's me saying JRPGs suck now days.

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

i loved the game also, i enjoyed every second of it. form start to finish, yes, the first 15-17 hours are lineal, but i seriously dont mind, the combat was awesome, the graphics were awesome, the caracters were actually good , a step up from XII at least, my only 2 complaints: No Uematsu music , and lack of endgame stuff, i think they rushed the sidequests a bit... i mean u fight the same giant bird 4 times, but no omega weapon? :( anyway, the game is impecable on every other apsect.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"]

110million

This is my hope. I liked a lot of stuff in XIII, it was still basically an on-rails RPG though. Hopefully now that they have an idea (they started FFXIII really late in development cycle due to conflicts) and an engine (since the rest of the time they spent working on FFXIII was building the engine), they can make a more traditional type of FF game.

Yea like you said since basicly the engine for the game is complete they can improve in other areas like being less linear. I really liked the combat but I wouldint mind improments.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Final Fantasy XIII to me will remain a very mixed bag: doing some things wonderfully, failing hard in others. The story itself was interesting, possibly among the best premises that can setup a very large, rich mythological world of deities, monsters and humans. The execution and storytelling was very poor, however, so I was left feeling disconnected through the majority of the game. The battle system is quite possibly the best FF battle system I have witnessed to date (FFXII was my second favourite battle system). This aspect alone allowed me to enjoy the latter half of the game extensively (Once you've been given more freedom). While you may control only 1 character at a time, once you begin hunting down fiends in the monster quest segment of the game, trying to get 5-star ratings, it quickly becomes a very strategic, dynamic and freeflowing system that requires equal amounts of clever thinking, swift adaptation to changing environmental combat factors and fast reflexes. Music was pretty good coming from the people who brought you FFX's soundtrack: it was neither weak nor very memorable unlike Nobuo Uematsu's music legacy and contribution to the FF brand. All in all, a solid 8.5 in my book (which is what GS awarded it).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-594be627b82ba
[QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"][QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"]After my friend explained how linear it is im still in the position of "Should or should i not"... I've been spoiled with JRPG's and TRPG's with my DS.

well for FF XV, you never know it might be good, but never will i buy game just because it has the final fantasy name on it Its avoided now. The notion of me buying a main FF franchise again has gone.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dibdibdobdobo
[QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"][QUOTE="da_illest101"] do yourself a favour and avoid that game at all cost

well for FF XV, you never know it might be good, but never will i buy game just because it has the final fantasy name on it Its avoided now. The notion of me buying a main FF franchise again has gone.

Well if it has the words FINAL FANTASY and TACTICS combined i will buy it. I brought a DS for A2... Loved every moment.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

moistsandwich

Yeah i love the game aswell, finished it on the 360 (crystarium maxed out on every character and ultimate weapons on the all). But i recently picked up the PS3 version and i'm going through it again, still loving it.

I can understand the dissapointment some people felt with it though, as it had the potential to be much better.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

2-10-08
What about the combat made no sense? It's turn based >.>
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Twin-Blade"]

110million

Yeah I thought the story was going in interesting ways, and I enjoyed the ending. There was just a bit too much "l'cie" "fal'cie" every 3 seconds before you're even told what they are. :P

The story is alot better the second time you play through it, purely because you know exactly what they're talking about and alot that hasnt been revealed yet. A bit like watching Sixth Sense for the second time, knowing the twist can help the experience.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

[QUOTE="2-10-08"]

The combat worked perfectly, what are you talking about?

Say whaaaaaaat? An enemy keys in on or simply one shots a single member of the party and its game over. What on earth makes that perfect? More like "Let's see how good a shuriken I can make a videogame controller through a window" frustrating.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
FFXIII is really good, just not nearly as good as the others.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The formula for combat was mind bogglingly simple and also insulting to my intelligence. Gring for hours and hours on end to max out your characters ability tables to mitigate the likelihood of chance tht the enemy goes into Hax mode and makes you re-do frustratingly long portions of the game and or fights.

I guess someone thought they were clever for putting a limit on your ability tree per chapter until right at the end.. It didn't even feel like a Final Fantasy until Pulse.. and even that claim is tenuous since OMG, the only town in the planet is freaking dead.. This game was garbage and an insult to the Final Fantasy name.