So, does anyone here own Vista? and if so, is it honestly worth it?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unknown8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 unknown8
Member since 2003 • 5600 Posts
We've all heard the hate on Vista, about it's errors, about how it ripped off it's interface from Mac and Linux pretty much completely, etc. But I personally really can't hate on it, cus I don't own it. So can anyone tell me if it's ruly worth it?
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
I haven't purchased the retail version yet, but I had Beta B running on one of my partitions for like the last 7 months.  Personally, I don't think Vista was ready for primetime & MS isn't going to stop supporting XP any time soon so I'd say wait until at least 2008 before buying Vista.  The funny thing is, a buddy of mine purchased it & said that he already had to DL a monster service pack, that's never a good sign that soon after an OS ships out. 
purplemidgets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 purplemidgets
Member since 2002 • 3103 Posts
My mom bought a new PC with Vista on it, and I honestly don't think it's anything special. Just XP with some superficial features
Eggsandwich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Eggsandwich06
Member since 2006 • 535 Posts
its nothing special, especially since you have to pay extra money to get the 64-bit version
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

My mom bought a new PC with Vista on it, and I honestly don't think it's anything special. Just XP with some superficial featurespurplemidgets

Maybe you need to dig a little deeper.  It's more than just a superficial update to XP to be sure.  It's more secure & it's a godsend if you're into database management, but it's just got some issues right now.

t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
I have it on a new laptop (might as well take it with something new). I haven't really tried a whole lot on it but currently I wouldn't say people need to upgrade to it just yet.
mike2136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mike2136
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts
Hell no some programs dont work with vista
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
I like it, but even though I have an OEM copy of Vista Business, I'm still using XP--graphics drivers just aren't quite ready yet.
Halo2_Norad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Halo2_Norad
Member since 2002 • 3802 Posts
right now, it's not worth it. But when games start requiring it, then get it.
danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts
From a forum I post in:

Got this on email today thought everyone should be aware

I've been talking to one of my Tech friends - he works for Dell Tech
Support. He says new Vista installation is a NIGHTMARE.

Pando is NOT compatible btw nor is iTunes. or incredimail

Vista is also a RAM hog - won't run on less than 1 gig (and wants more) it
also MUST "phone home" every day or it will declare itself an illegal copy
and stop working entirely. Since it "phones home" it ALSO reports every
file on your hard drive making it essentially a HUGE piece of spyware -
leaving you open to RIAA intrusions. I'm sure there will be some lawsuits
over that last and they will have to change it, but he says to stick with
your current OS until they get the MANY bugs worked out.

All of it is true and then some except the phone home can go longer than that without deactivating the OS. It gets even worse. If a driver vendor doesn't pay M$ its licensing fee and you have just spent let's say a few hundred pounds on a gfx card to prepare for Vista, the driver will be invalidated within the OS, making the card useless to anyone who has bought it. The same can happen to components Vista thinks are malfunctioning. I have a feeling many game controllers and cheap power supplies will need to be changed just to keep Vista running. It will refuse these pieces of hardware once invalidated, for the most part. ok so you upgraded your hardware. You're all good right? New motherboard or a new graphics card, even a new sound card. Take your pick. Wrong!! The hardware Id of these components were phoned into M$ and now your copy of Vista will be invalidated. You will have to buy a new copy of Vista for your new hardware! Vista features full support for hardware based DRM, Some of you may already have the start of it in your motherboard. If you have a high end Intel chipset made after 1 May 2006, you most likely have a DRM chip. This is proposed to expand to graphic cards and even sound cards. In this case, the device can determine via phoning home whether you have the right to display or hear the content and can shut it down at a hardware level, not just an OS or software level. If you say I'll look for devices that don't support such nonsense, remember that M$ can determine whether a device is able to work with Vista and could disable old devices as they are determined obsolete. An unsigned drivers patch appears to work around this one, but is it worth it? I don't think so,

If you still want to upgrade, knock yourself out, but don't say I didn't warn you.

For those who still want Vista, even my post is the tip of the iceberg. Read this until you don't want Vista anymore. It's really a fascinating read even if you don't want Bill infecting your pc. I just read the whole thing and even found out a few things I wasn't aware of but make perfect sense.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Wall of text but worth the read. Credit not given to the original posters because they would want it that way
Imallvol7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Imallvol7
Member since 2003 • 7566 Posts
its xp with a facelift, my room mates payed 400$ for ultimate and i still laugh at him for it
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha  link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

[QUOTE="purplemidgets"]My mom bought a new PC with Vista on it, and I honestly don't think it's anything special. Just XP with some superficial featuresColoradoKindBud

Maybe you need to dig a little deeper. It's more than just a superficial update to XP to be sure. It's more secure & it's a godsend if you're into database management, but it's just got some issues right now.

And it fixes all of the little annoyances that remained in XP...
merek16_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 merek16_basic
Member since 2003 • 5018 Posts
Vista? phhhh im waiting for OSX Leapord :P

also im still waiting on my Windows Vista to come in the mail from HP when i bought my laptop on black friday
gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts
Yea it is nice to be a student. Got Windows XP Pro for $25 in 2001 and Now I get Vista Business for free through MSDN. If I want Ultimate I can get the upgrade for $140. You get a lot of free software for being an MSDN member. MSDN has a lot of programming software too but I hate programming so I don't even bother with it.
giantsfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 giantsfan91
Member since 2004 • 199 Posts
I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha  link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).XaosII
Read the user agreement on the Vista homepage. I'm not sure about all of that, but I do know that upgrading hardware is now not aloud without purchasing Vista again. If you've ever upgraded a motherboard or added a new gfx card to you're computer with XP you'd have noticed it requires you to reactivate your copy of XP. Well they worded the user agreement wrong and were forced to allow everyone to activate their copy's. They've now fixed the user agreement, so a new motherboard is now considered a new computer and requires you to purchase Vista again.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
We've all heard the hate on Vista, about it's errors, about how it ripped off it's interface from Mac and Linux pretty much completely, etc. But I personally really can't hate on it, cus I don't own it. So can anyone tell me if it's ruly worth it?
unknown8
I have the Ultimate version of Vista and no, it's not worth it just yet. If you own an Nvidia graphics card and a Creative sound card, you'll be dissapointed in their drivers. The Creative drivers for example do not even support surround sound while gaming... it's great for non-gaming usage though. Better than XP.
shooks20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shooks20
Member since 2005 • 1943 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).giantsfan91
Read the user agreement on the Vista homepage. I'm not sure about all of that, but I do know that upgrading hardware is now not aloud without purchasing Vista again. If you've ever upgraded a motherboard or added a new gfx card to you're computer with XP you'd have noticed it requires you to reactivate your copy of XP. Well they worded the user agreement wrong and were forced to allow everyone to activate their copy's. They've now fixed the user agreement, so a new motherboard is now considered a new computer and requires you to purchase Vista again.

Yeah, not true as I have already done it. You only have to buy another copy of the OS if you have purchased an OEM version. If you have a retail copy all you have to do is call and reactivate which took me about 30 minutes ( most of which I was on hold)
danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danabo
[QUOTE="giantsfan91"][QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).shooks20

Yeah, not true as I have already done it. You only have to buy another copy of the OS if you have purchased an OEM version. If you have a retail copy all you have to do is call and reactivate which took me about 30 minutes ( most of which I was on hold)

If you don't want to read my post have a glance at this: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
muscrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 muscrat_01
Member since 2005 • 3592 Posts
Vista isnt great for games......

Seriously.

That and Driver problems, and application / utility inconsistancy - I`d rather stick with Xp until some good DX10 games come out, and I get a new Vid card.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 XaosII

[QUOTE="shooks20"][QUOTE="giantsfan91"][QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).danabo

If you don't want to read my post have a glance at this: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html 

I did...its still a load of BS.

It only affects people trying to play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray content on their machines. How many people you know have one of those drives in their PC? And it was obviously only implemented due to pressure from companies to implement stricter DRM rules. I would not be surprised to see similar restrictions on other operating systems. Thats not exactly MS's fault for that.

DMWhiteDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DMWhiteDragon
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts

I use Vista Home Premium, i need to make sure all my apps are compatible and i need to get used to the OS anyways... i have had no issues with games however all i got installed is NWN2, FEAR and WoW... heh

@ danabo

"Vista is also a RAM hog - won't run on less than 1 gig" (and wants more)"
On boot, 443mb is used of my 1gb of RAM

"it also MUST "phone home" every day or it will declare itself an illegal copy
and stop working entirely."
I have been off air for 2 days while its been installed... hmm its still activated? wow... but maybe im just lucky?

"Since it "phones home" it ALSO reports every file on your hard drive making it essentially a HUGE piece of spyware"
Anyone who believes this a complete fool

"ok so you upgraded your hardware. You're all good right? New motherboard or a new graphics card, even a new sound card. Take your pick. Wrong!! The hardware Id of these components were phoned into M$ and now your copy of Vista will be invalidated."
Do you have any idea what an OEM copy is? *thats* the copy that you are not ALLOWED to install on multiple machines or use on a new one, so yes duh... this however does not apply to retail and retail upgrade versions. OEM has been around for so many years its not funny and Windows XP OEM installs *also* upload a Machine Config ID to verfy you weren't installing your OEM copy of XP on a new machine.

Thats just a taste of the bull**** you have posted... how in your right mind can you just believe krap people say to you? *use* the software.... figure it out for yourself, be a man not a sheep

Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ichiroisawsome
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts
I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).XaosII

Actually it's true. Vista constantly reports to MS and it is in the licensing agreement.

"Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft."

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1641&Itemid=135
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XaosII

[QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).Ichiroisawsome

Actually it's true. Vista constantly reports to MS and it is in the licensing agreement.

"Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft."

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1641&Itemid=135[/QUOTE]

Thats right. And? Its in the agreement but its not really used. They are just covering their own behinds in the event they need to. Loosen up the tin foil hats people.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Vista isnt great for games......

Seriously.

That and Driver problems, and application / utility inconsistancy - I`d rather stick with Xp until some good DX10 games come out, and I get a new Vid card.
muscrat_01
Once the driver issues are worked out, Vista will run DX9 games much better than XP. (DirectX 9L)
DMWhiteDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DMWhiteDragon
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts

"Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge."

If they only checked once... it could be circumvented... once and any future update to check if its a valid copy of windows would not be legal... so yes it must check at regular intervals. This doesn't mean it uploads your entire HDD list nor block you from using your OS if after a day you can't access the internet...

" During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft."

This is needed in the agreement to cover OEM installations... duh

Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ichiroisawsome

[QUOTE="Ichiroisawsome"][QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).XaosII

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1641&Itemid=135[/QUOTE]

Thats right. And? Its in the agreement but its not really used. They are just covering their own behinds in the event they need to. Loosen up the tin foil hats people.

Really?  Well maybe you didn't do a clean install with Vista Ultimate because it most certainly does report your hardware info to MS to validate Vista.  I don't know about the other versions because Ultimate is the only one I have installed. MS has done some dirty things in the past and they will most certainly do the things that is in their licensing agreement.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XaosII
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Ichiroisawsome"][QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).Ichiroisawsome

Really?  Well maybe you didn't do a clean install with Vista Ultimate because it most certainly does report your hardware info to MS to validate Vista.  I don't know about the other versions because Ultimate is the only one I have installed. MS has done some dirty things in the past and they will most certainly do the things that is in their licensing agreement.

XP did hardware validation too. I didnt see everyone run away XP. You changed your hardware X number of times with the same CD key adn you had to call them up to reset it. The system was lenient enough to have rarely been an issue with most people.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danabo

I use Vista Home Premium, i need to make sure all my apps are compatible and i need to get used to the OS anyways... i have had no issues with games however all i got installed is NWN2, FEAR and WoW... heh

@ danabo

"Vista is also a RAM hog - won't run on less than 1 gig" (and wants more)"
On boot, 443mb is used of my 1gb of RAM

"it also MUST "phone home" every day or it will declare itself an illegal copy
and stop working entirely."
I have been off air for 2 days while its been installed... hmm its still activated? wow... but maybe im just lucky?

"Since it "phones home" it ALSO reports every file on your hard drive making it essentially a HUGE piece of spyware"
Anyone who believes this a complete fool

"ok so you upgraded your hardware. You're all good right? New motherboard or a new graphics card, even a new sound card. Take your pick. Wrong!! The hardware Id of these components were phoned into M$ and now your copy of Vista will be invalidated."
Do you have any idea what an OEM copy is? *thats* the copy that you are not ALLOWED to install on multiple machines or use on a new one, so yes duh... this however does not apply to retail and retail upgrade versions. OEM has been around for so many years its not funny and Windows XP OEM installs *also* upload a Machine Config ID to verfy you weren't installing your OEM copy of XP on a new machine.

Thats just a taste of the bull**** you have posted... how in your right mind can you just believe krap people say to you? *use* the software.... figure it out for yourself, be a man not a sheep

DMWhiteDragon
:| Did you actually read my post? :| "Credit not given to the original posters because they would want it that way ;)" There are many links about Vista using too much of your resources and more about the DRM issues. Google. Sometimes the sheep are right.
Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ichiroisawsome

"Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge."

If they only checked once... it could be circumvented... once and any future update to check if its a valid copy of windows would not be legal... so yes it must check at regular intervals. This doesn't mean it uploads your entire HDD list nor block you from using your OS if after a day you can't access the internet...

" During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft."

DMWhiteDragon

It's in the retail copy as well. duh. I've done two clean installs and they both had to be validated by reporting the hardware. This is the Ultimate version by the way. Also if you have two computers you have to have two separate copies  (just like XP but more strict) of Vista. That is if you want both installs to be validated.
giantsfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 giantsfan91

Wrong. It was in the XP Licensing agreement but there was something wrong with the wording so it couldn't be enforced. They've now corrected the wording of it and will now be enforcing it.
shooks20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shooks20
[QUOTE="danabo"] There are many links about Vista using too much of your resources and more about the DRM issues. Google. Sometimes the sheep are right.

SuperFetch That's why it uses more RAM, it's a good thing man.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XaosII

:| Did you actually read my post? :| "Credit not given to the original posters because they would want it that way ;)" There are many links about Vista using too much of your resources and more about the DRM issues. Google. Sometimes the sheep are right.danabo

Did you actually read anything on Vista? Maybe you should've before posting someone else's fallacious tripe.

Heres exactly why Vista "uses too much of your resources." Read it and realize why its a good thing Vista almost always takes up so much of your memory.

And much like this misinforation you are spreading about Vista's resource usages, the calims of DRM are exactly the same - misinformation.

I'd recommend Google. Not some blind fanboy's rant in a forum.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XaosII

giantsfan91

Wrong. It was in the XP Licensing agreement but there was something wrong with the wording so it couldn't be enforced. They've now corrected the wording of it and will now be enforcing it.

Thats nice. Im sure MS is just out to get you. No one else, just you. I'm assuming you've already have horror stories of MS sending FBI agents to someone's house for putting in a USB back-up hard drive?

Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ichiroisawsome
[QUOTE="Ichiroisawsome"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Ichiroisawsome"][QUOTE="XaosII"]I read that post. Not a single bit of it is true. I'd like anyone to back that claim up witha link discussing what he said about in Vista (retail).XaosII

shooks20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shooks20

Ichiroisawsome

If you don't plan on pirating Vista why would you care?

giantsfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 giantsfan91

During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft."

So as long as people purchase a retail copy they can install it on as many computers as they see fit? That makes sense seeing as your not actually purchasing the software, you're purchasing a license to use the software.

Since you only purchased one license you can only use it on one computer....duh.

Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts
I haven't purchased the retail version yet, but I had Beta B running on one of my partitions for like the last 7 months.  Personally, I don't think Vista was ready for primetime & MS isn't going to stop supporting XP any time soon so I'd say wait until at least 2008 before buying Vista.  The funny thing is, a buddy of mine purchased it & said that he already had to DL a monster service pack, that's never a good sign that soon after an OS ships out.  ColoradoKindBud
Thats weird I didn't have to. but the best thing about it, is the security features. MS did there homework this time. But it's still in it's infancy, if you guys want a cheap one, get from ebay. You van get the full oem package of ultimate for at the most $260. But I also like the new Ready Boost feature, thats pretty cool.
Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ichiroisawsome

[QUOTE="danabo"] :| Did you actually read my post? :| "Credit not given to the original posters because they would want it that way ;)" There are many links about Vista using too much of your resources and more about the DRM issues. Google. Sometimes the sheep are right.XaosII

Did you actually read anything on Vista? Maybe you should've before posting someone else's fallacious tripe.

Heres exactly why Vista "uses too much of your resources." Read it and realize why its a good thing Vista almost always takes up so much of your memory.

And much like this misinforation you are spreading about Vista's resource usages, the calims of DRM are exactly the same - misinformation.

That article is horrible.  It's nice for general applications but ram intensive applications such as games, photo editing, watching movies, etc. your comp is going to run slow because it will have to constantly feed off the much slower hard drive if there is no ram to cache to.  Basically Vista is trying to anticipate what you are going to use your comp for.  Lame.....
giantsfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 giantsfan91

Thats nice. Im sure MS is just out to get you. No one else, just you. I'm assuming you've already have horror stories of MS sending FBI agents to someone's house for putting in a USB back-up hard drive?

What are you talking about? I never claimed they did anything to me. The problem is, if you decide to upgrade your computer you will now have to purchase another license for the software. Quit being such a M$ fanboy.

shooks20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shooks20
That article is horrible. It's nice for general applications but ram intensive applications such as games, photo editing, watching movies, etc. your comp is going to run slow because it will have to constantly feed off the much slower hard drive if there is no ram to cache to. Basically Vista is trying to anticipate what you are going to use your comp for. Lame.....
Ichiroisawsome
No, try again. When you load a RAM intensive app it can have all the RAM it wants, it's the unused RAM that is used for SuperFetch SuperFetch understands which applications you use most, and preloads these applications into memory, so your system is more responsive. SuperFetch uses an intelligent prioritization scheme that understands which applications you use most often, and can even differentiate which applications you are likely to use at different times (for example, on the weekend versus during the week), so that your computer is ready to do what you want it to do. Windows Vista can also prioritize your applications over background tasks, so that when you return to your machine after leaving it idle, it's still responsive.
muscrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 muscrat_01
Member since 2005 • 3592 Posts
[QUOTE="muscrat_01"]Vista isnt great for games......

Seriously.

-GeordiLaForge-
Once the driver issues are worked out, Vista will run DX9 games much better than XP. (DirectX 9L)

Ya when the new drivers come out, i`ll get vista :P

Oh yea dosent Vista not support proper 5.1 surround sound - instead emulating it?

I dunno I read it somewhere....
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XaosII
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="danabo"] :| Did you actually read my post? :| "Credit not given to the original posters because they would want it that way ;)" There are many links about Vista using too much of your resources and more about the DRM issues. Google. Sometimes the sheep are right.Ichiroisawsome

That article is horrible.  It's nice for general applications but ram intensive applications such as games, photo editing, watching movies, etc. your comp is going to run slow because it will have to constantly feed off the much slower hard drive if there is no ram to cache to.  Basically Vista is trying to anticipate what you are going to use your comp for.  Lame.....

Yeah...that includes games. It ends up releasing those cached resources when a program asks for it. Its not going to take 80% of your RAM and leave 20% for other programs. It'll reduce it and free up what it needs for the new program.

If within those 80% is a program you very, very frequently use - then your program or even game - loads up very fast. Make sense? Dynamic load balancing and pre-emptive caching. The best of both worlds.

The article put it best: Its not "Why does Vista use up all my resources?" it should be "Why were previous Windows so bad as using my resources?"

Did you really think a company dedicated to OS development couldnt figure out a system like that?

joe_g_patton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 joe_g_patton
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

I own a desktop & a laptop.  Right now, I don't plan on upgrading either to Vista.  I just don't see the reason to drop $160 for nothing that I would consider an improvement.

Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ichiroisawsome
[QUOTE="Ichiroisawsome"]That article is horrible. It's nice for general applications but ram intensive applications such as games, photo editing, watching movies, etc. your comp is going to run slow because it will have to constantly feed off the much slower hard drive if there is no ram to cache to. Basically Vista is trying to anticipate what you are going to use your comp for. Lame.....
shooks20
No, try again. When you load a RAM intensive app it can have all the RAM it wants, it's the unused RAM that is used for SuperFetch SuperFetch understands which applications you use most, and preloads these applications into memory, so your system is more responsive. SuperFetch uses an intelligent prioritization scheme that understands which applications you use most often, and can even differentiate which applications you are likely to use at different times (for example, on the weekend versus during the week), so that your computer is ready to do what you want it to do. Windows Vista can also prioritize your applications over background tasks, so that when you return to your machine after leaving it idle, it's still responsive.

Except it doesn't work that well.  Vista runs about 10% slower on my friend's comp and we have done everything to optimize it.  We had to drop video quality on two games in order to get them to run as smoothly as they ran on XP.  The other games run fine but they are older games.  He also had to move his printing software to another comp because Vista slowed to a crawl while running it.  While under XP only 60 percent of the ram was used up by both the OS and the software, under Vista it was 100% and running off the hard drive.  Vista never compensated.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XaosII

giantsfan91

What are you talking about? I never claimed they did anything to me. The problem is, if you decide to upgrade your computer you will now have to purchase another license for the software. Quit being such a M$ fanboy.

Its almost the exact same system that XP uses like this article mentions. Just like you said, you just call up MS, and they'll let you reactivate it. Just like how you can upgrade a lot of components with XP before running into activation issues, it'll be the same exact thing with Vista.

A while ago MS decided to tie the OEM license with the motherboard, but even that has been removed. Its just like XP, and i cant recall anyone ever having an issue with how it worked. I'm tired of people spreading fud around things they dont fully know.

Ichiroisawsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ichiroisawsome
[QUOTE="Ichiroisawsome"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="danabo"] :| Did you actually read my post? :| "Credit not given to the original posters because they would want it that way ;)" There are many links about Vista using too much of your resources and more about the DRM issues. Google. Sometimes the sheep are right.XaosII

That article is horrible. It's nice for general applications but ram intensive applications such as games, photo editing, watching movies, etc. your comp is going to run slow because it will have to constantly feed off the much slower hard drive if there is no ram to cache to. Basically Vista is trying to anticipate what you are going to use your comp for. Lame.....

Yeah...that includes games. It ends up releasing those cached resources when a program asks for it. Its not going to take 80% of your RAM and leave 20% for other programs. It'll reduce it and free up what it needs for the new program.

If within those 80% is a program you very, very frequently use - then your program or even game - loads up very fast. Make sense? Dynamic load balancing and pre-emptive caching. The best of both worlds.

The article put it best: Its not "Why does Vista use up all my resources?" it should be "Why were previous Windows so bad as using my resources?"

Did you really think a company dedicated to OS development couldnt figure out a system like that?

Even the author of the article eluded to such a problem and my friend and I have had such issues with some games and printing software.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XaosII

Except it doesn't work that well.  Vista runs about 10% slower on my friend's comp and we have done everything to optimize it.  We had to drop video quality on two games in order to get them to run as smoothly as they ran on XP.  The other games run fine but they are older games.  He also had to move his printing software to another comp because Vista slowed to a crawl while running it.  While under XP only 60 percent of the ram was used up by both the OS and the software, under Vista it was 100% and running off the hard drive.  Vista never compensated.
Ichiroisawsome

Because its an issue with the Vista OS...and not with early drivers, right? The 40% extra ram being used by Vista and with early drivers yielded only a 10% loss in performance? Meaning instead of 60 frames per second he was getting 54? That sounds like an absolute nightmare.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 danabo

My source isn't some blind fanboy ranting on a forum. It was two very reliable coders on a private site.

^A screen from the site which is why I'm not directly citing my source.

Been playing around with Vista for a while now ;) I actually quite like it, but to deny it's obvious flaws is madness.