Smash Bros Reveal, and it's not Shulk!!! (Spoilers) 56K y?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:
@Basinboy said:

Kinda disappointed TBH. A bit heavy on the FE characters. Wario, Paper Mario, or other Pokemon would have been preferred. Or Zero (from MM)? Or Leon Kennedy? Or Wolf?

You gotta understand: Fire Emblem: Awakening is apparently considered the best Fire Emblem game in years (possibly of all time), one of the 3DS's best games, and single-handedly raised the popularity of the Fire Emblem series in the west. Plus, Sakurai is a huge Fire Emblem fan.

Wario will be announced later. Paper Mario seems like a gimmick; I think Toon Link is pushing it as is. Zero? He's already in Mahvel. Leon would be a terrible choice for Smash. Wolf is a veteran I expect to be a secret unlockable, since he's very unique compared to Fox and Falco (and three Star Fox reps is a good number).

Big or not, that's still a lot of FE and a lot of similar fighters. Link, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, plus the Mii duelist variant, then there's the possibility of Xenoblade characters being added. That class is starting to feel overloaded.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I was looking forward to Snake...*Sad Face*

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Basinboy said:

@princeofshapeir said:
@Basinboy said:

Kinda disappointed TBH. A bit heavy on the FE characters. Wario, Paper Mario, or other Pokemon would have been preferred. Or Zero (from MM)? Or Leon Kennedy? Or Wolf?

You gotta understand: Fire Emblem: Awakening is apparently considered the best Fire Emblem game in years (possibly of all time), one of the 3DS's best games, and single-handedly raised the popularity of the Fire Emblem series in the west. Plus, Sakurai is a huge Fire Emblem fan.

Wario will be announced later. Paper Mario seems like a gimmick; I think Toon Link is pushing it as is. Zero? He's already in Mahvel. Leon would be a terrible choice for Smash. Wolf is a veteran I expect to be a secret unlockable, since he's very unique compared to Fox and Falco (and three Star Fox reps is a good number).

Big or not, that's still a lot of FE and a lot of similar fighters. Link, Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, plus the Mii duelist variant, then there's the possibility of Xenoblade characters being added. That class is starting to feel overloaded.

"Class?" The only thing all those characters have in common are swords. All of the characters you listed, with the exception of Marth and Lucina, have completely unique movesets with different attributes and playstyles.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#54 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@Basinboy said:

@princeofshapeir said:
@Basinboy said:

"Class?" The only thing all those characters have in common are swords. All of the characters you listed, with the exception of Marth and Lucina, have completely unique movesets with different attributes and playstyles.

You don't build a roster of - what are we at now? - 36 characters and entirely avoid overlapping design between similar stylizations - doing so is inevitable.

But that's not the crux of my concern - it's the presence of 5 Fire Emblem characters all similar in approach (which is pointless to openly debate because we have limited information regarding their movesets and how they contrast). It's simply a matter of overrepresentation. Once the full cast is revealed and certain members left off the roster (which, again, is gonna happen), the characters you'll look at as superfluous will be among the FE group. Outside of Mario and maybe Pokemon, other franchises should be capped at 3. I've no problem if Nintendo wants to add more characters from each franchise via DLC down the road based on fan input, but 5 stock FE characters? Tad much.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55  Edited By Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Eh I rather see Lucina as just a alt costume/female version of marth instead of wasting a character space. Robin and Capt are fine through. Still waiting for Wolf.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#56 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Basinboy: The trailer showed enough to make the conclusion that Robin fills one niche other FE characters fails to, projectile camp. That alone more than justifies a roster spot.

Pokemon already has four spots on Smash Bros. Zelda, four since Zelda and Sheik are now separate characters. It only means one thing, Smash bros character roster is expanding because Sakurai has a much bigger team to work with who understands balance like no other.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18255 Posts

I will main Lucina...also...i'm really worried for the Ice Climbers...i don't think they will be in the game :(

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58  Edited By ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Aww yis. Really excited for Smash Bros now. Still gonna main Ike though.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@madsnakehhh: Don't worry. There was an interview last year around E3 in which Sakurai said he was having trouble getting the AI of partner characters to work properly on the 3DS, and he used Ice Climbers as an example. Later that year: he revealed Rosalina, a puppet character that works on 3DS/Wii U. Ice Climbers are all but officially confirmed.

@Basinboy said:

But that's not the crux of my concern - it's the presence of 5 Fire Emblem characters all similar in approach (which is pointless to openly debate because we have limited information regarding their movesets and how they contrast). It's simply a matter of overrepresentation. Once the full cast is revealed and certain members left off the roster (which, again, is gonna happen), the characters you'll look at as superfluous will be among the FE group. Outside of Mario and maybe Pokemon, other franchises should be capped at 3. I've no problem if Nintendo wants to add more characters from each franchise via DLC down the road based on fan input, but 5 stock FE characters? Tad much.

It's confirmed to be four for Fire Emblem so far; Chrom isn't playable. I'm willing to bet Marth and Robin will be stock, and Ike and Lucina are unlockable, but who knows. Just gonna ignore the FE popularity argument (I think that's been said enough, everyone knows the series is really big in Japan and Awakening was a phenomenal success) and talk about the fact that this doesn't disconfirm any other characters from other franchises. In fact, Lucina being a Marth clone may actually mean we're getting more unique characters from other games--and a potentially massive roster.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm guessing Lucina will be a semiclone to Marth, and she will be similar to him in the same way Falco is to Fox, or Lucas to ness, Toon Link to Link, etc. They'll share many similarities but are still overall different.

AFAIK we haven't even seen her entire moveset, but just some very shirt clips during the reveal.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#62 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur: Semi-confirmed, I guess?

Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth.