Should Sony release a Vita successor soon?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45269 Posts

Wouldn't that make the most sense? Come up with a Vita 2 (or probably change the name) right when the PS4 starts selling like bonkers. Then they can upgrade the hardware and improve functionality between the two systems while also giving the people real console graphics on the go? Last time we had a thread about whether Sony would make another handheld and most of SW said no. But doesn't the market still need a challenger to Nintendo? I for one think so. Nintendo relies way too much on first party and their online functionality is meh. There is clearly a need for a proper 'hardcore' handheld. I think the Vita 2 would be awesome considering the kind of graphics you can get on today's tablets and smartphones. And this would finally give the people what they want. Am i rite, SW?

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think Sony should either support the Vita or never release another handheld ever again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

new Vita model with 4G once i can remote play over the internet. it will rely on PS Now and remote play completely, with compatibility on Vita and downloaded PSP games.

Probably the best we could expect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think Sony should either support the Vita or never release another handheld ever again.

this... what is the point? it will cost more... again... people won't buy it.

Maybe a version that is better suited as a companion device (maybe like a Wii-U gamepad .... but for PS4) but other than that... other than graphics? why?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

lol vita 2

They're not even supporting the handheld they already have

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

There's not really any sense in building a successor to the Vita that still maintains all the same aspects that the Vita has.

Sony needs to change their philosophy on handheld design.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

No, that sounds completely unnecessary to me. The Vita's problem is software, not hardware. All another system would do is set the software back even more.

"More power" is not what sells handhelds. It never has been. Appealing to children helps, but Sony's image is simply not as family friendly as Nintendo's. Nintendo's systems are cheaper, and low price is important in the handheld world. The 3ds library is superior, but regardless of that, most parents would pick the Nintendo handheld for their children. Most teens and adults want PS4s. Smartphones and tablets cover the rest of the casual market.

The functionality between the PS4 and Vita is already very very strong. Heck, the Vita can already play every PS4 game.

All Sony really needs is for the Vita to do decently in Japan so they don't lose the predominantly handheld Japanese audience. And it's the second best selling system over there. Again, releasing another system would just kill their momentum over there, set back Japanese software development, lower profitability and raise costs.

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

They should not.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Uhm.... Why ?

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I dont think there is a big enough market for a system like the Vita. I dont see sony making another handheld any time soon.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I don't think it would be a good idea for them to release a new handheld while their current handheld is less than 3 years old and isn't even being supported. That would piss off all of the current Vita owners. They need to support the handheld that they already have for at least 2 more years.

As for there being a need for a proper 'hardcore' handheld as you put it, I would be interested in seeing what Microsoft could do if they entered the handheld market. My biggest problem with handhelds has always been how uncomfortable they are to hold and since Microsoft has designed the most comfortable controller of all time, I have confidence that they could potentially design the first comfortable handheld. Plus, you know the online functionality would be top notch and they could probably get western developers to finally start developing for handhelds like they got them to start developing for consoles when they entered the console market.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

If they want to lose money. Sure

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Not at all. The Vita's hardware is good enough to keep pace with not just the 3DS, but any 3DS successor we can reasonably expect Nintendo to release on the market in the future. That aside, Sony also actually needs to support the handheld they do have on the market (of which they have thus far done a piss poor job) before they even think about putting out a new one. Too many people have been burned by Vita to even consider buying a successor, meaning it'll bomb even harder than Vita did.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Yes. Throw a better CPU, a better GPU, 16 Gigabytes of RAM at it, make it 1200 dollars and that should fix everything. Same thing with the Wii U and the Xbox One. System wars! **** yeeeeah!

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

No, they should support the handheld they already have to make it worth buying.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sony's done with handhelds, obviously. The Vita hasn't been out that long and they've already thrown in the towel and stopped supporting it as a stand alone game player.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

The vita is probably their last hand held

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

The Vita is most certainly their last handheld device.

Mobiles do what handhelds do AND more so it would be a waste.

PSP was successful because smartphones still weren't a thing yet. The allure of gaming,movies,music,photos and browsing the web were so attractive in 2006.

Now everyone with a High end smartphone can do all that and way more.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Vita's hardware has nothing to do with its struggles. A "Vita 2" would solve nothing.

I'd honestly be somewhat surprised if Sony makes a third handheld. If handhelds remained very strong in Japan I could see it, because Sony would want a device for that market. But mobile is causing a contraction in handhelds there as well. How big that contraction is we'll know soon enough.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

With what money? Sony needs to build there money back up not spend more, it's shocking they even got the PS4 out there. Now with them being sued for more then $5 million, lets be reasonable lol. And honestly, Sony should give up the handheld market, while "competition" is good, Nintendo will ALWAYS be the handheld market. And there is no competition if the other company in that market disappears lol. Sony needs to focus on staying alive and rebuilding their money up, we will have to see if Sony can even accomplish that before they do any new hardware.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I say yes even though I just bought a vita slim. Sony gained by giving the ps4 high raw specs and people bought into it, and now the console is selling millions with no games. Sony shouldn't skimp out on the power this time around.

Here is what it should have:

• 5.5 1080p OLED display (Touch screen)
  • 520 PPI
  • 1GB RAM
  • Up to 6 hours of battery life when gaming (more with music and other features)
  • matte finish
  • Snapdragon 805 or Higher
  • Analog sticks that click
  • built in mic
  • 14 MP camera
  • Backwards compatibility with the previous vita (digital only, sorry for those who only buy retail such as myself)
  • rear touch pad to maintain backwards compatibility
  • Micro sd upgradable (up to 64 GB)
  • 16GB and 32GB versions
  • Improved remote play capabilities with the ps4
  • PS now at the ready for the inevitable post launch drought.

Prices should be $299 and $369 respectively, release should be Q1 or Q2 of 2017. There will be losses, but with psn+ and other accessories like head sets, car chargers and customizable skins.. maybe they can start making money on it by the middle of 2018 as parts get cheaper.

Most importantly, Sony should have exclusives lined up for launch and the year after from their in house devs as well as very close third party devs.

Launch titles from Sony's end should include:

• Grand turismo (it shouldn't be a port of GT7 it should have it's own features but connectivity with GT7 for extras.)
  • A Last of us spin off (with a different protagonist in a different state) MADE by Naughty Dog
  • A japan studios strategy rpg with water color cel shaded art, with a good plot.
  • A ps All star sequel with good roster of characters with their old Iconic looks, more content, more polish, and the kill system revamped.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

A successor to a commercial failure? lol

Common sense says that Sony is DONE in that market.

SeriousGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 SeriousGaming
Member since 2014 • 91 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

But doesn't the market still need a challenger to Nintendo?

No, not really. The market doesn't have enough room for anyone besides Nintendo, and even they'll be lucky if it still exists by the end of the generation.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Sony needs to learn how to handle their current handheld correctly before attempting another one.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

No, I do not think they should.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

i think any future handheld ambitions sony have will be rolled into their xperia line (i know playstation mobile is gone but a proper gaming phone would be a good way for sony to set themselves apart in the mobile market. sony are best positioned to do this.). they wont make a dedicated gaming handheld again.

as for competition for nintendo......they have their own problems. nintendo need to seriously consider how they are going to claim pocket space or they could find their handheld business to be in serious trouble. yes the 3DS is doing well but thats not a green light for more of the same.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@osan0 said:

i think any future handheld ambitions sony have will be rolled into their xperia line (i know playstation mobile is gone but a proper gaming phone would be a good way for sony to set themselves apart in the mobile market. sony are best positioned to do this.). they wont make a dedicated gaming handheld again.

as for competition for nintendo......they have their own problems. nintendo need to seriously consider how they are going to claim pocket space or they could find their handheld business to be in serious trouble. yes the 3DS is doing well but thats not a green light for more of the same.

who da eff wants to do serious gaming on their phone or tablet? touch screen controls suck balls. also, they already tried a gaming phone and their current phones are meh

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Ghost120x said:

I say yes even though I just bought a vita slim. Sony gained by giving the ps4 high raw specs and people bought into it, and now the console is selling millions with no games. Sony shouldn't skimp out on the power this time around.

Here is what it should have:

• 5.5 1080p OLED display (Touch screen)
  • 520 PPI
  • 1GB RAM
  • Up to 6 hours of battery life when gaming (more with music and other features)
  • matte finish
  • Snapdragon 805 or Higher
  • Analog sticks that click
  • built in mic
  • 14 MP camera
  • Backwards compatibility with the previous vita (digital only, sorry for those who only buy retail such as myself)
  • rear touch pad to maintain backwards compatibility
  • Micro sd upgradable (up to 64 GB)
  • 16GB and 32GB versions
  • Improved remote play capabilities with the ps4
  • PS now at the ready for the inevitable post launch drought.

Prices should be $299 and $369 respectively, release should be Q1 or Q2 of 2017. There will be losses, but with psn+ and other accessories like head sets, car chargers and customizable skins.. maybe they can start making money on it by the middle of 2018 as parts get cheaper.

Most importantly, Sony should have exclusives lined up for launch and the year after from their in house devs as well as very close third party devs.

Launch titles from Sony's end should include:

• Grand turismo (it shouldn't be a port of GT7 it should have it's own features but connectivity with GT7 for extras.)
  • A Last of us spin off (with a different protagonist in a different state) MADE by Naughty Dog
  • A japan studios strategy rpg with water color cel shaded art, with a good plot.
  • A ps All star sequel with good roster of characters with their old Iconic looks, more content, more polish, and the kill system revamped.

you know exactly what I'm talking about!

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

flop

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well said. I don't like they way they treated the fans with that. Sony gave it N64 level support. Nintendo did their best on the N64, what is Sony's excuse. I'm sorry but someone would have to be a little foolish to buy any new Sony handheld at launch expense.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Mehehehe.... just release an android handheld with the tegra k1.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Nope.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

There's really no reason to. Technologically, the graphics on Vita are fine and they need to architect the successor to the Vita to match the road map to the PS5. It's far far too early to be thinking of a Vita successor. They should focus on dropping the price of the Vita, instead, so it more easily rides in the wake of the PS4 as a companion device.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: i know they tried with the xperia play but that had a few serious issues like

1) it relied on android games and Ps1 only. android games are crap and PS1 games, though great, are not a system seller anymore (did they ever really improve the PS1 lineup on PS mobile?)

2) execution could be better.

3) Crap screen (very bad brightness apparently)

as a concept though it had buckets of potential. if a new one was priced as a mid range phone and priced to only break even on the hardware (similar to the console model) at launch AND it was backed up by loads of new exclusive games + android games (which could also use the controller if they supported controllers) and its design was just generally improved then it could be a very interesting offering. a proper gaming phone and/or tablet. that currently doesnt exist on the market yet.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You're serious? The Vita has sold around 4 million units. The PSP sold about 80 million. Not only should Sony probably kill the Vita at this point (since it's only costing them money to keep it around) but they should never consider entering the handheld market again. Mobile gaming (unfortunately) destroyed whatever chance Sony had at remaining successful. Even their PlayStation for Android service bombed horribly.

People don't want handheld gaming machines anymore, they want the shitty, take-an-hour-to-make/take-10-minutes-to-get-bored free apps that flood the app markets on phones.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Sony just needs to start supporting the Vita they already make. There is a strong platform there, and it is mostly going to waste.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic  Online

@foxhound_fox said:

You're serious? The Vita has sold around 4 million units. The PSP sold about 80 million. Not only should Sony probably kill the Vita at this point (since it's only costing them money to keep it around) but they should never consider entering the handheld market again. Mobile gaming (unfortunately) destroyed whatever chance Sony had at remaining successful. Even their PlayStation for Android service bombed horribly.

People don't want handheld gaming machines anymore, they want the shitty, take-an-hour-to-make/take-10-minutes-to-get-bored free apps that flood the app markets on phones.

where do you get 4 million units? it's at least double that..

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#39 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

While I agree, why do you keep posting 4 million lol

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@foxhound_fox said:

While I agree, why do you keep posting 4 million lol

wiki has it at 4million

vgchartz lol....probably that.

anyway.....vita needs western 3rd party developers totally behind it like the playstation. but just like nintendo and 3rd parties.... it aint gonna happen.

sony should just quit handheld gamming like atari and sega did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

This figure is hilariously incorrect (not to mention terribly outdated), lifetime sales of the Vita currently stand at around 10 million units, by Sony's own newest figures.

Not only that, but the Vita does not cost Sony money- it is a profit making venture for them, since the hardware is profitable, the accessories are ridiculously marked up, the system has a stupidly high attach ratio (over ten per system), and the majority of these sales are digital, meaning Sony doesn't have to split costs... no, the Vita is good business for Sony, and killing it is absolutely stupid. Even if retailers drop it, Sony can continue to sell it directly, and just cultivate the highly engaged install base that they already do have.

That said, the thing is still a hilarious bomb that Sony themselves stopped supporting, and it won't have any successor.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: The PS4 is already selling like bonkers. Sony shouldn't bother with another handheld. I was a hardcore PlayStation gamer that bought every PlayStation with the expectation that there would be plenty of games I would enjoy. PSV is the first PlayStation to not deliver and it's mostly due to Sony not supporting it.

They lost a customer for any future handhelds of theirs.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

They aren't really doing a whole hell of a lot to really push the system now, let alone go and spend hundreds of millions if not a billion to develop and market a new one. The bottom line is, as of right now a high end mobile gaming device is just not worth it to the consumer nor the manufacturer. The mobile market, whether it is strictly for gaming or an all around device, is completely flooded and stagnate right now. To even bother making a new one, is ridiculous and something that they aren't going to do. Hell, they are bundling them in with the PS4 just to get rid of them.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Hell no! Rhey need to back he Vita heavily, with both AAA and indie... The Vita is a step up from the PSP, but it's just not garnering support.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Hell no! Rhey need to back he Vita heavily, with both AAA and indie... The Vita is a step up from the PSP, but it's just not garnering support.

Unfortunately, Sony has already said nope on the AAA front

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

I know. Such an idiotic move. I know indie is huge right now, but so is AAA. They need to strike that balance.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Agreed. If they wont spend the money to support the Vita, why would or should they spend money on a new handheld?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

I know. Such an idiotic move. I know indie is huge right now, but so is AAA. They need to strike that balance.

They don't need either. They need to understand that there is a difference between console and handheld markets. A hit on a handheld does not need to be big budget or indie.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lundy86_4

@Heirren said:

They don't need either. They need to understand that there is a difference between console and handheld markets. A hit on a handheld does not need to be big budget or indie.

They don't need the AAA/indie handheld market? Well, isn't that just killing your handheld.

What does it need to be? Just an FYI, a single hit will not save a handheld, which is what your post suggests.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@Heirren said:

They don't need the AAA/indie handheld market? Well, isn't that just killing your handheld.

What does it need to be? Just an FYI, a single hit will not save a handheld, which is what your post suggests.

Na didn't suggest that at all, even if it could be true.