(Shot down assumption.)

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts

Processing Power.

The Xbox 360 has a processing power of one teraflop (10 ghz) and the PS3 has processing power of Two teraflops. Only a handful of quad cores have that sort of power, and the amount that the processors in either system have to compute must be gigantic. Using the euphoria engine each individual has their own AI it has to deal with. In GTA 4, each individual must react to every punch, shove, car jacking, shot, explosion, and everything else around them. If you played GTA 4 then you would also notice that the police officers may chase down random crimes committed by these NPC's. Take all that into account and every building, person, and car, it will take an extremely powerful machine to even run it on minimum. This is not the same as last generation when you saw consoles that were clocked under 1 GHz. Right now consoles have more processing power then most PCs, and since it's a closed system, it will be all that harder to put the game on a PC that is also running stuff like MSN, Xfire, AntiVirus, and various apps in the back ground.

My two cents on this anyways.

P.S: I think you will see GTA 4 come to the PC but at a much more later date.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I always buy them on PC a few years down the road when the PC version hits the bargian bin. Great games to replay through and the mod community always goes all out on GTA.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
this is so stupid that I am not going to answer your weak flamebait...
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

A console game that PC's can't handle? Let me think about that one... Okay, I'm done. No.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I expect GTAIV to be released Q1 or Q2 2009 on PC
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 insanejedi
It's a completely ligidiment reason. If you see it this year, it's going to be Assasins Creeded. Meaning that your requirements are going to be super, super high.

wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
It's a completely ligidiment reason. If you see it this year, it's going to be Assasins Creeded. Meaning that your requirements are going to be super, super high.

insanejedi

What? I could run it with a mid-range dual core and a HD3850.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
He's right, that's a very ligidiment reason.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 insanejedi
Dual Core of what? It's not the graphical power that's holding it back, thats the area where PC specs are naturally higher than the consoles, that and ram. But in this generation, processing power is much higher then most other PC's.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Oh my god. Do you know ANYTHING? ANYTHING AT ALL about processing power between consoles and PCs? You proved that you don't. Worst thread I have ever read in System Wars.
Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
No way man, I completely disagree. First off, the specs you listed for the consoles are wrong. I don't even play PC games at all, I'm a console guy, and even I know that GTA 4 can be run on PCs. The engine just needs to be optimized and that's it. The requirements would be high, but not Crysis high.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

360 has 10 gigs of ram!?

does it really?

Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts

Dual Core of what? It's not the graphical power that's holding it back, thats the area where PC specs are naturally higher than the consoles, that and ram. But in this generation, processing power is much higher then most other PC's. insanejedi

O ok, now I see what you're getting at, but like I said, with some tweaking, it's still very well possible.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 insanejedi
Would people like to prove to me that my console specs are wrong rather then just say "YOUR WRONG U DUMB!" and then leaving?

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

TerraFLOP?

WTF are you smoking?

The 360 hardly even break 300 GigaFLOPS, let alone a TerraFLOP....

And the PS3 barely breaks half a TFLOP and that is with a dated GPU architecture that isn't nearly as efficient as the newer architectures in the 8800 and the Xenos.

Infact, a SINGLE 8800 GT has as many FLOPS than the entire power of both consoles...

Get facts straight and don't make stuff up.

Just to show you...

360:

Xenos - 240 GFLOPS

Xenon - 115.2 GFLOPS

PS3:

RSX - 364 GFLOPS

Cell - 179.2 GLOPS (25.6 GFLOPS for the PPE and then 25.6 GLOPS for each of the 6 SPE's)

A SINGLE 8800 GT - 504.0 GLOPS.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 insanejedi

360 has 10 gigs of ram!?

does it really?

Koalakommander

Ghz is for Processing power/CPU. gigs is for space.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts
I was going to throw in a sarcastic "PC can't handle it", then I read the OP and realized I can't compete :o
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
Oh god, forget about PC specifications, you need to go play with a dictionary.
stephant_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 stephant_6
Member since 2005 • 1758 Posts

Horrible flaimbait. And if you're actually being serious (god help you)...Crysis.

/thread

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts
I was going to throw in a sarcastic "PC can't handle it", then I read the OP and realized I can't compete :of50p90

pc processors= out of order = better

360 and ps3= in order= worst..

360 and ps3 running at 3.2ghz(in order) is like having a p4 at 1.7ghz(out of order)
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 insanejedi

TerraFLOP?

WTF are you smoking?

And the PS3 barely breaks half a TFLOP and that is with a dated GPU architecture that isn't nearly as efficient as the newer architectures in the 8800 and the Xenos.

Infact, a SINGLE 8800 GT has as many FLOPS than the entire power of both consoles...

Just to show you...

360:

Xenos - 240 GFLOPS

Xenon - 115.2 GFLOPS

PS3:

RSX - 364 GFLOPS

Cell - 179.2 GLOPS (25.6 GFLOPS for the PPE and then 25.6 GLOPS for each of the 6 SPE's)

horrowhip

CPU, NOT GPU! I'm hella surprised that you know all of that but cannot correlate Processing Power=CPU

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts

teh cell>>>>>xenos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any PC CPU

behold teh cow logic

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nagidar
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

TerraFLOP?

WTF are you smoking?

Just to show you...

360:

Xenos - 240 GFLOPS

Xenon - 115.2 GFLOPS

PS3:

RSX - 364 GFLOPS

insanejedi

CPU, NOT GPU! I'm hella surprised that you know all of that but cannot correlate Processing Power=CPU

Here s bit of info for you:

Out of Order CPU > In-Order CPU.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 insanejedi

Horrible flaimbait. And if you're actually being serious (god help you)...Crysis.

/thread

stephant_6

Crysis was a GPU intensive game. I imagine that GTA 4 is a CPU intensive game. Hence why i dont think the Crysis will come to consoles because consoles GPU is not as good as most high end computers GPU.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horrowhip
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

TerraFLOP?

WTF are you smoking?

Just to show you...

360:

Xenos - 240 GFLOPS

Xenon - 115.2 GFLOPS

PS3:

RSX - 364 GFLOPS

insanejedi

oh... well... in that case you look even worse because FLOPS has nothing to do with what a CPU does to begin with...

And just an FYI, the Intel Core 2 Duo line is better than both the Xenon and the Cell.

And don't pull the GHz or number of cores because it has more to do with architecture than anything.

By default, out-of-order execution is much better than in-order execution.

There is no accurate way to really compare processors because it has so much to do with architecture. And the current Intel Core 2 architecture walks circles around the basic IBM processors in the consoles...

Mad_Rhetoric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mad_Rhetoric
Member since 2005 • 3642 Posts
[QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="horrowhip"]

TerraFLOP?

WTF are you smoking?

Just to show you...

360:

Xenos - 240 GFLOPS

Xenon - 115.2 GFLOPS

PS3:

RSX - 364 GFLOPS

Nagidar

Here s bit of info for you:

Out of Order CPU > In-Order CPU.

I think thats beyond his understanding
Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Riki101
omg i just bought a 260 dollar q6600 when i could get a ps3 for only 40 dolalrs more, NOOO i got ripped off on my processor.. wait how can sony afford such amazing hardware at low cost?.hmmmm maybe the hardware isnt so amazing?
stephant_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 stephant_6
Member since 2005 • 1758 Posts
[QUOTE="stephant_6"]

/thread

insanejedi

Crysis was a GPU intensive game. I imagine that GTA 4 is a CPU intensive game. Hence why i dont think the Crysis will come to consoles because consoles GPU is not as good as most high end computers GPU.

Try running Crysis on a single-core processor,or even a low end-dual core.

Crysis renders huge detailed levels. Obviously it's more GPU than CPU intesnive,but as I said,you can't play it on a single core processor.

If your PC can run Crysis on medium-high,you could max out GTA4.

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riki101
also game performance is only 20% on floating point performance...
Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riki101
i cant believe this guy actually thinks the physics in gta 4 is advanced, so much so that a Qx9xxx cant handle it one bit...
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 killerfist

omg i just bought a 260 dollar q6600 when i could get a ps3 for only 40 dolalrs more, NOOO i got ripped off on my processor.. wait how can sony afford such amazing hardware at low cost?.hmmmm maybe the hardware isnt so amazing?Riki101
nooooo...

THa CELL>>>you

behold

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riki101
OMG i can finally see the power, the POWAH!
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horrowhip

GTA4 isn't as CPU intensive as Crysis, I can guarrantee that.

I mean, it is probably sort of CPU intensive but not THAT CPU intensive. At least no more so than Crysis. Keep in mind, Crysis has way better AI than GTA4, more physics calculations, longer view distances, and more CPU intensive processes(the water simulation takes up a lot of CPU.)

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nagidar

Processing Power.

The Xbox 360 has a processing power of one teraflop Wrong, the Xenon peaks at 115 GFLOPs.

(10 ghz) First off, its an IO Processor and processor ratings do not work like that, you can't just add them up.

and the PS3 has processing power of Two teraflops. Wrong again, the Cell peaks at 218 GFLOPs.

Only a handful of quad cores have that sort of power, and the amount that the processors in either system have to compute must be gigantic. Again, both the Xenon and Cell are IO Processors, they are heavily stripped down compared to desktop processors.

Using the euphoria engine each individual has their own AI it has to deal with. In GTA 4, each individual must react to every punch, shove, car jacking, shot, explosion, and everything else around them. If you played GTA 4 then you would also notice that the police officers may chase down random crimes committed by these NPC's. Take all that into account and every building, person, and car, it will take an extremely powerful machine to even run it on minimum. Again, OoO Processors do things like A.I. and Branch Prediction alot better and easier than an IO processor.

This is not the same as last generation when you saw consoles that were clocked under 1 GHz. Right now consoles have more processing power then most PCs, and since it's a closed system, it will be all that harder to put the game on a PC that is also running stuff like MSN, Xfire, AntiVirus, and various apps in the back ground. Clock Frequency != Power, hell, a Athlon 4400+ x64 Dual Core runs at 2.3Ghz but is rated at 6.6Ghz.

My two cents on this anyways. If I gave you a penny for your thoughts, I'd have change coming back.

P.S: I think you will see GTA 4 come to the PC but at a much more later date.

insanejedi
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 insanejedi

i cant believe this guy actually thinks the physics in gta 4 is advanced, so much so that a Qx9xxx cant handle it one bit...Riki101

It's not physics, it's AI which makes me think that you wont see it on PC. And the Intel Core 2 arguement may or may not be correct as i have not thought of that. However since they are so hard to compare then me saying this is not as farfetched as you may think. It's just a hypothisis of why i think GTA 4 wont be comming to PC for quite some time.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killerfist

OMG i can finally see the power, the POWAH!Riki101

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 insanejedi

I mean, it is probably sort of CPU intensive but not THAT CPU intensive. At least no more so than Crysis. Keep in mind, Crysis has way better AI than GTA4, more physics calculations, longer view distances, and more CPU intensive processes(the water simulation takes up a lot of CPU.)

horrowhip

GTA 4 has a lot more people on screen reacting to almost everything in their enviroment. Mind you guys that i'm willing to be proven wrong on this, i'm just assuming this off of simple number of ghz.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
this has to be a joke post right...I mean....nobody can be this naive right?
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nagidar
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

insanejedi

GTA 4 has a lot more people on screen reacting to almost everything in their enviroment. Mind you guys that i'm willing to be proven wrong on this, i'm just assuming this off of simple number of ghz.

I already proved you wrong but you choose to ignore my posts.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cobrax75
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

insanejedi

GTA4 has basic AI....every entity has a script is just repeats over and over again...

its not like STALKER where the AI is truly dynamic.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 insanejedi

If someone can prove me that the processing power of a reasonable PC motherboard compared to that of the Cell and Xenon is higher. I will put this to rest.

By reasonable i mean like something that is already in peoples computers at there home. High end or not.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nagidar

If someone can prove me that the processing power of a reasonable PC motherboard compared to that of the Cell and Xenon. I will put this to rest.

By reasonable i mean like something that is already in peoples computers at there home. High end or not.

insanejedi

Do you just choose to ignore posts? Both the Xenon and Cell are In-Order CPU's, that barely match the processing power of an Athlon 3600.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 insanejedi
[QUOTE="insanejedi"]

If someone can prove me that the processing power of a reasonable PC motherboard compared to that of the Cell and Xenon. I will put this to rest.

Nagidar

Do you just choose to ignore posts? Both the Xenon and Cell are In-Order CPU's, the barely match the processing power of an Athlon 3600.

specs?

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

insanejedi

K, here's the thing: you lack the basic knowledge of this stuff to be able to argue anything like this in a comprehendable manner to the people who do.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nagidar
[QUOTE="Nagidar"][QUOTE="insanejedi"]

insanejedi

Do you just choose to ignore posts? Both the Xenon and Cell are In-Order CPU's, the barely match the processing power of an Athlon 3600.

specs?

Of what? Was that post that hard to understand?

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cobrax75
[QUOTE="Nagidar"][QUOTE="insanejedi"]

insanejedi

specs?

if you actually had any clue as to what you were talking about you would know that clock speed is meaningless when comparing to different series of processors.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 insanejedi
[QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="Nagidar"][QUOTE="insanejedi"]

Nagidar

specs?

Like i want comparasons, not words. Like how many calculations can this PC processer make opossed to this Console.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nagidar
[QUOTE="Nagidar"][QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="Nagidar"][QUOTE="insanejedi"]

insanejedi

specs?

Like i want comparasons, not words. Like how many calculations can this PC processer make opossed to this Console.

Read this: Link

And this: Link

EDIT: If you can even understand any of it....

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 killerfist
[QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="Nagidar"][QUOTE="insanejedi"]

cobrax75

specs?

if you actually had any clue as to what you were talking about you would know that clock speed is meaningless when comparing to different series of processors.

example: Intel celeron @ 3.6Ghz is comparable with AMD (lower clockspeed)

that's pretty much all I know lol. has something to do with design and cache memory right?