Shinji Mikami refuses to give up the ghost (Tokyo)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Tango Gameworks was met with much hype upon conception, primarily because of Shinjy miasdnaf, but didn't live up to expectations. mid/low tier games. Evil Within far from being the Resident Evil of peoples dreams, in reality an incoherent mess that was very, very boring with practically 0 scares. Outdated.

Evil Within 2 was better received, but at that point no one cared. Thus, flop.

KAMUY will be his knew home. He hasn't left the industry.

Do we still have faith in Shinji Mikami? Or like Keiji Inafune has he been found as nothing more than a big hack fraud? Hideo Kojima without the success?

Resident Evil director Shinji Mikami founds new company

Following Tango Gameworks departure last year.

Shinji Mikami, the legendary developer behind Resident Evil and a string of other classics, has founded a new company.

Titled as KAMUY Inc., the new company was spotted in a biography for Mikami listed on the official Shadows of the Damned: Hella Remastered website (thanks, Gematsu). Mikami worked as creative producer on the original Shadows of the Damned game, though is not thought to be directly involved in its upcoming remake.

Mikami announced he was quitting his studio Tango Gameworks in February 2023, after 12 years as its CEO. At the time, it was unclear what Mikami would end up doing next.

But in October last year, Mikami suggested he was returning to game development, following the end of a non-compete clause. "Now that I've broken the spell of non-competition on myself, I guess I should get to work," Mikami wrote in aposton social media platform X.

Mikami served as director on numerous Resident Evil games during his long tenure at Capcom, and also helped on some of the publisher's more experimental fare such as PN03, Viewtiful Joe and Killer7.

After setting up Tango Gameworks, Mikami directed The Evil Within and served as executive producer on its sequel, and also oversaw Ghostwire: Tokyo and Hi-Fi Rush.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Cool. Dude probably has more to give.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I liked both the Evil Within games.

Still, there's no saying when big name game designers go off on their own whether their success will follow them. More often it doesn't work out.

Platinum might be the best example of such a thing happening in the post-Clover Studios debacle, initially. The creative leads didn't just go, so did a huge chunk of Capcom staff. It's the synergy of teams that make a good studio. Is he taking a bunch of his Tango staff with him? We'll see.

Plus, he might have a nice chunk of change if he got compensated well during the MS-Zenimax acquisition, that could help him go a long way to getting situated.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

He hasn't made a single decent game in way over a decade.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@lamprey263: Yeah, we tend to give a lot of credence to the heads/directors/CEOs, and they are important, but they wont get anywhere without a team of talented people to work with.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

Evil Within and Hifi Rush are great. Hopefully this studio puts out more good stuff.

Haven't played Ghost Wire ... but I need to.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Tried to get into Evil Within 3 times. Wasn't happening.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6041 Posts

Never heard of him until now, will forget his name by the time I exit this thread 🤣

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I do enjoy the games that he’s worked on. Really enjoyed The Evil Within 1 and 2. Will definitely keep an eye on whatever he works on next.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

Maybe Kamiya will join him!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts

Shinji Mikami needs to make a new Vanquish! That's what he needs to do. While he's known for survival horror, his best games are third-person shooters: RE4 and Vanquish. He should move on from survival horror and instead go back to TPS.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts
@Jag85 said:

Shinji Mikami needs to make a new Vanquish! That's what he needs to do. While he's known for survival horror, his best games are third-person shooters: RE4 and Vanquish. He should move on from survival horror and instead go back to TPS.

This! But did he design Vanquish or was he a producer there?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#13 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts
@pc_rocks said:
@Jag85 said:

This! But did he design Vanquish or was he a producer there?

He was the director of Vanquish.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

A fraud? Dude is literally the father of survival horror, made a new standard not only once but twice (original RE and later on with RE4) made Vanquish wich is still better than 99% of TPS games out there. The Evil Within was good despite flawed and Ghostwire is better than most people give it credit for. Dude is no Inafune. Respect Mikami deserves