SF4 on Xbox360 - Is it playable?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
So I know the xbox 360 controller is horrible for fighters so Im trying to figure out which system to buy it for. Id rather play it on xbox360 since it seems to be the superior version and i figure theres more people to play on XBL. Anyone who owns the sf4 360 version, what controller do u use?
MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts
superior version? how? anyway, its pretty much a must, you get an arcade stick or fighter pad if you want to play the 360 version.
Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts
I use a Hori Pad. Both the PS3 and 360 controllers are horrible and neither are supposed to be played on a a game like this. If you don't have a pad I suggest you go buy the Custom SF Controller.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10602 Posts
the 360 d-pad is a no no but the analogue stick works well enough
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29835 Posts
So I know the xbox 360 controller is horrible for fighters so Im trying to figure out which system to buy it for. Id rather play it on xbox360 since it seems to be the superior version and i figure theres more people to play on XBL. Anyone who owns the sf4 360 version, what controller do u use?h575309
if you can at all afford it, i really suggest an arcade stick. they also make a SF4 pad that works pretty well, i hear.
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

the 360 d-pad is a no no but the analogue stick works well enoughMacutchi

yea i like the stick too

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
It's playable but I'm still waiting to find the Fight pad. I really want my 6 button layout.
SmashingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 SmashingX
Member since 2007 • 625 Posts
this reminds me of those reviews for soul calibur IV that said go with the ps3 controller that the 360 controller was horrendous, the ps3 controller is too in it's own way, i found it impossible to keep a grip on it often on that game, if you're serious about putting alot of time into SFIV get a hori
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 h575309
[QUOTE="h575309"]So I know the xbox 360 controller is horrible for fighters so Im trying to figure out which system to buy it for. Id rather play it on xbox360 since it seems to be the superior version and i figure theres more people to play on XBL. Anyone who owns the sf4 360 version, what controller do u use?clone01
if you can at all afford it, i really suggest an arcade stick. they also make a SF4 pad that works pretty well, i hear.

the arcade stick is ridiculously expensive.... like 130 usd or something no? thats way too much to pay just to play one game
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
Get a Fightpad or something. The 360 controller is playable for fighters, but that's about the nicest praise you can give for it when talking about that genre. It really isn't all that great.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
Yes.. just use the analog.
TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
The PS3 D3 is pretty horrible itself. atleast I get better load times.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
The Fightpad is ok. I have Ryu, even if I'm a Ken fan ;)
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Yes, it is playable. No, the controller is not as precise. Yes, I still have a lot of fun. Yes, I wish I had a fightstick. All in all it doesn't really matter unless you're going to be playing in tournies in which case you'll most likely get a fightstick anyways.
KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts
I have a fightpad and it works great. Good luck finding one now though they are hard to come by. Looks like they are going for $100 plus on Ebay.
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Yes, D-pad sucks but over exaggerated.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]The PS3 D3 is pretty horrible itself. atleast I get better load times.

I
Yes, D-pad sucks but over exaggerated.Master-Thief-09
Yeah its playable but im sure fight pads are definitely a whole ton better. I played in a tourny at my gamestop ( we used the 360 controller) and came in 3rd either though I use the Dualshock 3. It's playable but i find it a tad bit harder. But it's really a prefrence, and why is the 360 version superior (not to you TC)
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
ARCADE STICK FTW :D Still waiting for my arcade stick to ship in...stupid amazon :evil:
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I use the 360 controller. Works well, better than it did on HD Remix -- I can pull of mostly everyones moves EXCEPT for Guile and Vega's weird specials.
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

If you don't have a fight stick, get the PS3 version. If you DO have a fight stick or you plan to buy one, get the version that your friends are getting.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 h575309
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"]The PS3 D3 is pretty horrible itself. atleast I get better load times.

I
Yes, D-pad sucks but over exaggerated.Master-Thief-09
Yeah its playable but im sure fight pads are definitely a whole ton better. I played in a tourny at my gamestop ( we used the 360 controller) and came in 3rd either though I use the Dualshock 3. It's playable but i find it a tad bit harder. But it's really a prefrence, and why is the 360 version superior (not to you TC)

well i keep reading the 360 version has better textures or something.... i dont know it could be bs..... plus its just hard for me to spend 60 bucks on a new fighting game and another 40 on a controller when i probably wont be playing the game for all that long.... considering re5, killzone 2, halo wars, and madworld are coming out in the next 30 days. This is like the best february and march for gaming i can ever remember.
Fab92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fab92
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts
Yes,it is.I play with the stick.It works really well.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
I have a 100 wins online using the 360 controller, so yes it is defiantly playable on the 360.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="TheOwnerOner"] I [QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]Yes, D-pad sucks but over exaggerated.h575309

well i keep reading the 360 version has better textures or something.... i dont know it could be bs..... plus its just hard for me to spend 60 bucks on a new fighting game and another 40 on a controller when i probably wont be playing the game for all that long.... considering re5, killzone 2, halo wars, and madworld are coming out in the next 30 days. This is like the best february and march for gaming i can ever remember.

I played them both, I own the PS3 version and played the 360 version at the tourny their the same what people do is extremely nitpick and if you stand 4 ft away from the screen you can't tell the difference, and I agree it is a hard few months on our wallets ! But I've never advised somebody to due this but maybe rent it and try, if alot of your friends own it get it the system they have it on (that is of course if you dont care) I enjoy it but when KZ2 and RE5 come out im gonna be off SFIV for a while.

EDIT also if you dont see the replay value there for yourself wait till it goes down in price then pick it up, at least then cheaper arcade sticks and pads will be available once they extreme hype dies down

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#26 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
Unless you plan to get another controller, get it for the ps3. It is pretty much unplayable on the horrible dpad.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
An arcade stick is like a racing wheel. You "should" play the game with one but you don't need to. Gamepads have never been good for fighters or racers, especially when there are peripherals that make them leagues better.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29835 Posts
The Fightpad is ok. I have Ryu, even if I'm a Ken fan ;)musicalmac
NOOOOO! no more Ken's. Ryu is okay, though ;)
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#29 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
You'll be fine using the analog stick for either controllers.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I use a standard 360 controller. I can't play the game on the D-Pad cuz it feels funny to me. I could never pull of a Dragon Punch on it so once analog sticks came out, thats what I use for 2D fighters. The game plays just fine with that. Even when I try out the D-Pad, its responsive and does the move i'm trying to do.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#31 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]The Fightpad is ok. I have Ryu, even if I'm a Ken fan ;)clone01
NOOOOO! no more Ken's. Ryu is okay, though ;)

I'm no annoying Ken. I'm in it for a good fight. No worries.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
The standard controller is a nightmare to work with.
Avatar image for VideoGameRosado
VideoGameRosado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VideoGameRosado
Member since 2003 • 1264 Posts

Console controllers > Arcade stick

Seriously, this arcade stick is HIGHLY overrated, and controllers have a much greater advatage. Fact. I can pull off moves faster than you can, and overall, react faster. The ONLY reason arcade sticks are used is because it's tradition to play a SF game with an arcade stick. It's the norm, and most people prefer NOT to break that tradition. People make such a huge deal over this arcade stick it's ridiculous. To the OP, you'll be fine with a regular controller. Just pick it up for which ever you feel more comfortable playing with. IMO go with the ps3 version, but again, which ever you feel more comfortable.

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shafftehr

Seriously, this arcade stick is HIGHLY overrated, and controllers have a much greater advatage. Fact. I can pull off moves faster than you can, and overall, react faster. The ONLY reason arcade sticks are used is because it's tradition to play a SF game with an arcade stick. It's the norm, and most people prefer NOT to break that tradition. People make such a huge deal over this arcade stick it's ridiculous. To the OP, you'll be fine with a regular controller. Just pick it up for which ever you feel more comfortable playing with. IMO go with the ps3 version, but again, which ever you feel more comfortable.

VideoGameRosado
You're going to be eaten for breakfast by the real fighting game nuts :D
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

VideoGameRosado
THe controller can be really imprecise, especially when dealing with ultras and characters like fuerte and fei long. I mean it is extremely cumbersome to try and go double forward rotates left bumper. It is really uncomfortable and hurts your hands.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
So I know the xbox 360 controller is horrible for fighters so Im trying to figure out which system to buy it for. Id rather play it on xbox360 since it seems to be the superior version and i figure theres more people to play on XBL. Anyone who owns the sf4 360 version, what controller do u use?h575309
The d-pad is definitely better on the PS3 controller also I prefer blu-ray discs over DVD, but if you have friends with SFIV on X360 that might make it worth it and vice versa if your PSN friends have it. As far as amount of people online nobody really knows, but I'm sure it's selling very well on both systems.
Rai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rai
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
Unless you plan to get another controller, get it for the ps3. It is pretty much unplayable on the horrible dpad.BuryMe
This.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#38 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
It's very playable, anyone who says it isn't is full of it
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shafftehr
It's very playable, anyone who says it isn't is full of itToriko42
That'd be me. By far the worst fighting controller I've ever used, and I've been avidly playing fighting games since the initial release of SFII. Playable? Yes. But, less so than RTS's on consoles by a fair margin I'd say. The 360 controller *really* sucks for fighters. But then again, sucks is relative... It sucks compared to the dual shock, arcade controllers, the Madcatz Fightpad, true... But it is superior to, say, playing a fighting game with missing fingers, arms, or trying to slam buttons with your forehead.
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]the 360 d-pad is a no no but the analogue stick works well enoughjohnnyblazed88

yea i like the stick too

I'm with you guys, the stick works like a charm

KingNabster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KingNabster
Member since 2006 • 420 Posts

Well I originally got it for my 360, than traded it for a PS3 disc. And I gotta say, the PS3 controller is better, although playing it on the 360 was okay. Pulling of special moves and such are very easy on the stick, however, simple gameplay mechanics are not precise with the stick so you are at a disadvantage to any player on a pad in this respect. The ps3 dpad is quite good, however.

Igrappledwith the same issues you are for so long, the 360 version does look a little crisper, but you can almost never tell, there are points such as guiles stage where jaggies are present on the screen, but unless you play ultra close to the screen like anarcadeyou won't be able to tell. I played both a fair amount, but I could never get comfortable using the 360 controller, but I am very content with the PS3 controller now.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Pretty big Fighting Game fan over here..

The 360 analog is actually pretty good for this game.. You'll get an occasional slip when trying to perform an Ultra move but for the most part it's pretty responsive. I'm actually very surprised at how good it works considering the pad is abysmal for games like VF 5 or SF HD. I won't give advise on what version to go with but I will say that SFVI works well enough with the sticks to forego purchasing that expensive Hori controller.

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

The 360 D-pad sucks. I tried to play SF2 HD remix with it, and git really annoyed.

Any arcade stick player own the ps3 version of Street Fighter 4? I want to see how I match up using the the Dual Shock 3 against an arcade stick user. PSN ID: KillerWolf_7

HappyAppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HappyAppe
Member since 2003 • 1543 Posts
I plan on getting it with the Madcatz fightpad, as soon as they are back in stock. Does anyone have this? What are your thoughts?
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I plan on getting it with the Madcatz fightpad, as soon as they are back in stock. Does anyone have this? What are your thoughts?HappyAppe
I'm about to give up and wait a month to see if I can get one then. Those things are sold out everywhere. And I'm not going to order them online and wait for weeks until I get em. Just checked and they are going for around 100 bones right now. How did this happen?
KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts

I plan on getting it with the Madcatz fightpad, as soon as they are back in stock. Does anyone have this? What are your thoughts?HappyAppe

I have it and was suprised how good it works. The fightpad is actually a floating D-pad which feels kind of like a combination of the d-pad and analog stick. I have no problems pulling off special moves with it. The six button configuration is a lot better also and feels much better than the xbox controller or the sixaxis ( I have SFIV on both systems and fightpads for both ). Good luck finding the fightpads though, they are sold out everywhere and they are going for 100 bucks on ebay.

HappyAppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HappyAppe
Member since 2003 • 1543 Posts

[QUOTE="HappyAppe"]I plan on getting it with the Madcatz fightpad, as soon as they are back in stock. Does anyone have this? What are your thoughts?robflores370

I have it and was suprised how good it works. The fightpad is actuall a floating D-pad which feels kind of like a combination of the d-pad and analog stick. I have no problems pulling off special moves with it. The six button configuration is a lot better also and feels much better than the xbox controller or the sixaxis ( I have SFIV on both systems and fightpads for both ). Good luck finding the fightpads though, they are sold out everywhere and they are going for 100 bucks on ebay.

Nice...yeah I'm definitely going to wait for the fightpads. Madcatz said they'd be shipping more out in March/April.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
i use the D-Pad on the 360 for SF4 i honestly don't see the big deal..i kick ass with it :?
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]the 360 d-pad is a no no but the analogue stick works well enoughjohnnyblazed88

yea i like the stick too

Exactly what I was thinking.