SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45113 Posts

Thoughts, SW? Good news? Relic Entertainment seemed like an odd choice for Sega, but hopefully they can succeed as an independent developer. Maybe MS will buy them? As for Gearbox, seems like a good fit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58968 Posts

Relic are a great dev who were stuck with a shitty publisher. I wish them great things.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Relic are a great dev who were stuck with a shitty publisher. I wish them great things.

I dunno about Relic. They made some crackers in the past but haven't really released anything great since DOW2. Hopefully they can turn it around though.

As for Gearbox....is Homeworld ok? That's the main thing.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Be ready for BL4 to be an MTX store.🤗

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@osan0 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I dunno about Relic. They made some crackers in the past but haven't really released anything great since DOW2. Hopefully they can turn it around though.

AoE4 was made by Relic, no?

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

I don't think I've played anything by Gearbox that I've enjoyed. I can't speak for every employee, but they just seem like grifters.

Relic at least had some games I liked.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Embracer bought Gearbox for 1.3 billion and had to turn around and sell them for 460 million. What a shitshow!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@silentchief said:

Embracer bought Gearbox for 1.3 billion and had to turn around and sell them for 460 million. What a shitshow!

They bought Gearbox for $363 million and sold them for $460 million. The extra billion was if they hit certain performance targets within the first 6 years. They sold them three years later. So, they actually made money on the deal.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Indeed. Hope to see them turn these lemons into lemonade (though it's debatable if this is really a "lemons" type of situation).

@osan0 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I think Homeworld 3 is more or less finished at this point, it's just in testing. Comes out this year, ya? Can't wait :D

@dimebag667 said:

I don't think I've played anything by Gearbox that I've enjoyed. I can't speak for every employee, but they just seem like grifters.

Yeah can't remember the last Gearbox game I enjoyed.

Borderlands series isn't necessarily bad but they're so generic and imo lame I can't stand them.

Their track record sans Borderlands is also pretty bad:

• Battleborn: commercial failure, shut down
  • Colonial Marines: arguably one of the worst major titles in recent years. I mean, really: how do you screw up Aliens?
  • Duke Nukem Forever is just legendary in its failure.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

@BassMan said:
@silentchief said:

They bought Gearbox for $363 million and sold them for $460 million. The extra billion was if they hit certain performance targets within the first 6 years. They sold them three years later. So, they actually made money on the deal.

Embracer and making money don't go along.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@osan0 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

AoE4 was made by Relic, no?

Oh wow! AOE 4 is a thing. Another one for the wishlist.

And yes it was indeed made by Relic. Also seems to have reviewed well in fairness. I wonder if MS will step in?

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

@mrbojangles25: No doubt. Plus they did the PC version of Halo CE, which the MCC version of CE used as it's framework. Just imagine the state of modern CE if they would've done a proper job from the get go. To me , that's basically unforgivable.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8221 Posts

Used to love Relic. But CH3 and DoW3 were let downs. AoE was good tho.

Hope they can turn it around.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Indeed. Hope to see them turn these lemons into lemonade (though it's debatable if this is really a "lemons" type of situation).

@osan0 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I think Homeworld 3 is more or less finished at this point, it's just in testing. Comes out this year, ya? Can't wait :D

@dimebag667 said:

Yeah can't remember the last Gearbox game I enjoyed.

Borderlands series isn't necessarily bad but they're so generic and imo lame I can't stand them.

Their track record sans Borderlands is also pretty bad:

• Battleborn: commercial failure, shut down
  • Colonial Marines: arguably one of the worst major titles in recent years. I mean, really: how do you screw up Aliens?
  • Duke Nukem Forever is just legendary in its failure.

last 2 spin off borderland games .... seem not to have sold well.