SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45133 Posts

https://www.pcgamer.com/like-a-dragon-infinite-wealth-is-making-the-utterly-bizarre-decision-to-lock-new-game-behind-a-dollar15-upgrade/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

When it comes to trying to experience everything a sprawling hundred-hour RPG has to offer, New Game+ can often be an essential tool for running through a game a second or third time without causing too much psychological damage. Some games, like the Persona series, even require a NG+ run if you want the full completionist adventure.

It makes it all the more baffling, then, that Sega's upcoming Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is locking its New Game+ mode behind its Deluxe and Ultimate editions, which cost an extra $15 and $40 on top of the base game respectively. This is a series which, traditionally, has had its own features locked behind a NG+ run such as the legendary difficulty mode.

Specifically, NG+ is being folded into the 'Master Vacation Bundle' which isn't included with the game's base version. According to the game's official websitethe bundle also includes a bonus dungeon, special sujimon (from a Pokémon-like mode), resort guests, outfits "and more."

Frustratingly, none of these specifics are included on the game's Steam page. It lists out each edition and what bundles you get for them, but fails to detail what's included in each one. That means if you're just going by the Steam page it's perfectly reasonable to assume that a series which has traditionally included NG+ for no extra price would, in fact, have it in its standard edition.

Wow, that is crazy! Hopefully this doesn't become a trend. Thoughts, SW? Makes me not want to support the game at launch.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69530 Posts

I hope this becomes the norm like $70 games. Gamers have a preference to abusive practices.😂

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Dumb. But it's Yakuza. One playthrough is more than enough.

Not that I'm getting this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58996 Posts

You'll still buy it. And normalize it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46325 Posts

Oh oh spaghettio

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8420 Posts

@Pedro said:

I hope this becomes the norm like $70 games. Gamers have a preference to abusive practices.😂

You know how we like it. 😏

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

SEGA is like a dead man walking. It should be put to sleep. 💤

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Well was thinking of buying it, now I definitely won’t bother!

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

I think this would not help in growing the audience for this series and may even turn some curious people off. On PC it probably could get modded out so easily. I wonder how they arrived at this decision.

Someone could probably make an obvious joke on the "Infinite Wealth" subtitle. Probably Kotaku.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14806 Posts

It seems that they were heading in that direction with what I've seen from playing their more recent games. I got the complete editions for pretty cheap and with it, you can cheese through certain sections, essentially cheats. This doesn't surprise me. I still got three more games to go through until it's time for Infinite Wealth. Hopefully it will be on sale by then and not shit.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44570 Posts

This has NG+? It looks like an endless experience of mini-games.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3640 Posts

Will definitely wait for Christmas for Infinite Wealth to go on sale. I never gotten into the series though have Yakuza Like A Dragon to keep me busy and the rest of the games in the franchise.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44210 Posts

Well that’s pretty lame.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38890 Posts

This is Ubisoft level of scam, but at the same time, what game has a good NG+? They don't exist. First playthrough on the highest difficulty and going as thorough as possible is the way to play video games, and if you disagree, you're wrong, and should get a life.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

@hardwenzen: the good NG+ of Star Field buddy why you hate this game it give you so much new todo when you start again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38890 Posts

@thatforumuser said:

@hardwenzen: the good NG+ of Star Field buddy why you hate this game it give you so much new todo when you start again.

Nice bait, but i ain't biting. There isn't a single thing in the whole game that is done properly in Starfield. This is why 98.8% of its playerbase left within 2 weeks.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

doesn't matter...I think its absolutely fine for sega to try and get more money out of the gamers, this is just the free market. Personally I don't buy games day 1, so it has no bearing on me, and the yakuza games tend to get discounted heavily after a few months anyways. If I ever do decide to buy it, the price will probably be $20 for the deluxe ultimate edition or something along those lines. Sega and normal gamers are happy, the day 1 gamers are mad, but who cares.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58331 Posts

God DAMN that is some bullshit.

First, we have Ubisoft saying "Hey gamers, go **** yerselves" but if that's not enough, SEGA comes in 'hold my beer' fashion and is like "Hey, if you want to experience the game again but with slightly tweaked settings that were literally no inconvenience for us to add into the game, you have to pay more!"

They'll probably give the typical Japanese response of "We are just protecting our IP."

The thing is, I can see developers just rebelling against this wholesale. Like "Man, this is nonsense!" But the suits....ahhhhhhh, the suits....they're the ones that call the shots, and they're going to see this, and they're going to see people buying it, and they're going to apply this to all their games.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

Yeah, it's fucked.

It's a really bad move for a series that has been generated a ton of goodwill over the years. I mean, the game will probably be amazing, but everyone will remember it for this.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

**** Sega. Thought they were the good guys. I wonder whats next, a paywall to unlock the last chapter? You heard it first here

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34618 Posts

Yup. Putting paywalls on stuff that should be free or unlocked through gameplay is the norm and has been for while. That game companies tries to do even more of that is not shocking at all, and I see no reason why this is more outrageous than what games currently are doing and have been doing for years. Just how we pay full price for half a game now, we will soon pay full price for 20% of the game. This is the bed we made.

I bet plenty of you morons will buy this game too, TC included. "Look how shit this game I'm rewarding with money is".