Sea Of Thieves Is Microsoft's Best-Selling New IP This Gen

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Keep in coming haters including false narrative reviewers. Those that really matter, the gamers, have spoken. lol :P

This bad boy will go for decades with tons of new free content along the way and be the True GOAT.

Thoughts?

The Story.

---

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sea-of-thieves-is-microsofts-best-selling-new-ip-t/1100-6457750/

Rare's pirate game is already off to a strong start.

It's been a little over a week since Sea of Thieves launched for Xbox One and PC. While it hasn't been completely smooth sailing for the ambitious pirate game so far due to some early server and performance issues, the title is already proving to be a success for Microsoft.

In addition to topping the UK sales chart in its first week on the market, developer Rare revealed that Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's fastest-selling new IP this generation. Moreover, the game has already achieved an impressive milestone, surpassing two million players only a few days after it managed to reach one million in its first 48 hours. That doesn't necessarily mean the game has sold two million copies, however, as it is also free to play for Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

"We've also been blown away by how the game has bought players together," Rare said in a thank-you message to fans. "More than half of a million new Xbox Live friendships have been forged to date and over 400,000 players have joined an Xbox Club to find pirates to share stories with.

"We know the response has led to some scale challenges and exposed some bugs we have addressed and will continue to address. Please know that the team at Rare is working hard to tackle any player-impacting issues and this is our number one priority."

Rare deployed Sea of Thieves' first update earlier this week, which primarily made performance improvements and addressed a long list of bugs. However, the game was briefly rendered unplayable on Xbox Game Pass following the update, although that issue has since been resolved.

Sea of Thieves is now available on Xbox One and PC. You can read more about the title in GameSpot's Sea of Thieves review. If you're looking to dive into the title, be sure to check out our beginner's guide and tips you should know before starting.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts

Hopefully they'll keep updating it for a long time.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

lol let's just put this in perspective shall we...

How many NEW IP has MS actually released this gen?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

@Litchie:

I'm with you my friend, I love the big blue world and from what's been said, that's the plan, they should see it through.... I hope. :P

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

Microsoft counting game pass free trials lmao.. sad. That's probably at least 70% of people playing

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Keep in coming haters including false narrative reviewers. Those that really matter, the gamers, have spoken. lol :P

This bad boy will go for decades with tons of new free content along the way and be the True GOAT.

Thoughts?

The Story.

---

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sea-of-thieves-is-microsofts-best-selling-new-ip-t/1100-6457750/

Rare's pirate game is already off to a strong start.

It's been a little over a week since Sea of Thieves launched for Xbox One and PC. While it hasn't been completely smooth sailing for the ambitious pirate game so far due to some early server and performance issues, the title is already proving to be a success for Microsoft.

In addition to topping the UK sales chart in its first week on the market, developer Rare revealed that Sea of Thieves is Microsoft's fastest-selling new IP this generation. Moreover, the game has already achieved an impressive milestone, surpassing two million players only a few days after it managed to reach one million in its first 48 hours. That doesn't necessarily mean the game has sold two million copies, however, as it is also free to play for Xbox Game Pass subscribers.

"We've also been blown away by how the game has bought players together," Rare said in a thank-you message to fans. "More than half of a million new Xbox Live friendships have been forged to date and over 400,000 players have joined an Xbox Club to find pirates to share stories with.

"We know the response has led to some scale challenges and exposed some bugs we have addressed and will continue to address. Please know that the team at Rare is working hard to tackle any player-impacting issues and this is our number one priority."

Rare deployed Sea of Thieves' first update earlier this week, which primarily made performance improvements and addressed a long list of bugs. However, the game was briefly rendered unplayable on Xbox Game Pass following the update, although that issue has since been resolved.

Sea of Thieves is now available on Xbox One and PC. You can read more about the title in GameSpot's Sea of Thieves review. If you're looking to dive into the title, be sure to check out our beginner's guide and tips you should know before starting.

Someone is in complete fantasy land.

Sea of Thieves has gotten mixed reviews at best and the XBox community has already shunned it. This totally reminds me of Ryse, a game that looked decent, but was an utter flop. In fact, if there isn't Halo, Gears of War or Forza in the title than it most likely won't do good. MS lost this generation and they have some serious decisions they need to make.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

So it outsold Quantum Break, Recore and what? Super Lucky's Tale? Wow!

also this:

@eyeboonseyebrow said:

Microsoft counting game pass free trials lmao.. sad. That's probably at least 70% of people playing

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Riding the wave of success, Rare is. 2 million players is insane, just shows play anywhere/game pass is a huge boost on top of physical sales(in which game pass wasn't included).

Haters going to need some aloe to cure the burn of this news.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Good to see, not easy for a new IP to make it in this ruthless, cut-throat industry. I'm still greatly enjoying it and to be honest I expected it to come out with limited content, I knew it because new IP/MMO launch, and they kept saying how they will be supporting it for a long time.

The fetch quests dont bother me as much because it seems in line with previous MMO, it's about getting there, the journey....but there definitely is room for lots of new content, I would like them to give more meaning to gold(but dont make it so that all people care about is the gold).

A lot of people are complaining about pricing, but they make it so easy to try it through game pass, the link is in the store. Anyways, looking forward to seeing it grow, also they should give a reward for beating the Kraken, (I dont know if there is one, but there should be incentive for beating him, but its tricky because then people will just want to farm him).

Its just nice to see the reaction of people I play with online, people seem to be really enjoying it, something new and different. As much as I want Rare to listen to player feedback, I'm also tempted to just tell them "dont listen to anyone, keep doing what you're doing and with your original vision". Its just cool to try something new, we have tons of games with levels and elaborate progression systems, I'm playing FC5 now and its nothing but map icons, level up perks, etc and that's great fun too, but SOT feels liberating, I dont have to think about any of that, very relaxing game.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

is it MS's ONLY new IP for xbox?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

In keeping with the pirate theme, they insist on setting up cannon fodder statements like "More than half of a million new Xbox Live friendships have been forged to date and over 400,000 players have joined an Xbox Club to find pirates to share stories with"

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

So basically it outsold Ryse and Quantum break? And thats probably because they gave the game away for free.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

well it seems like its successful enough for them to go forward with post-launch content updates which is what the game really needs

hope they manage to flesh the game out because it still has a ton of potential

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1615 Posts

One of three new IPs

@me2002 said:

So it outsold Quantum Break, Recore and what? Super Lucky's Tale? Wow!

also this:

@eyeboonseyebrow said:

Recore is Capcom.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@SecretPolice: Fastest selling and best selling are not the same thing. Talk about Idiocracy.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tgob89

@BigBadBully said:

Riding the wave of success, Rare is. 2 million players is insane, just shows play anywhere/game pass is a huge boost on top of physical sales(in which game pass wasn't included).

MS is probably really going to regret their XBL refund policy after this lol

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

1 million players launch, 2 million one week later, over 100 000 streamers broadcast it = 10 million hours watched, over half a million xbox live friends made, 400 000 players joined SoT clubs online.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

Nice to see such high interest in this game. I’m really hoping that they keep it going with lots of great content in the future. I think the game looks great and lots of fun to play.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

LOL. This is simply funny in more ways than one.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@loganx77 said:

So basically it outsold Ryse and Quantum break? And thats probably because they gave the game away for free.

I don't think Microsoft owns the Ryse IP.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@BigBadBully said:

I think it's like Steam refund policy, if you play more than two hours you don't get a refund.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Games are like movies... The amount of sales it makes doesn't bring it any closer to getting any awards and being loved and cherished for years to come. Sea of Thieves is just that, its a Adam Sandler movie.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

?? How many new IPs did MS release this gen and how many of them were successful? So it outsold Quantum Flop?

Also ? @ the desperation counting free Game Pass trial players as “more than half a million new friendships”. You know they put the game on Game Pass so that they could come up with spin like this. Next thing they’ll tell us about the number of chickens caught as some kind of success metric lol.

I’m waiting for NPD to see how it really sold, this MS spin and damage control is hilarious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

It must be really hard for the Sony fannies that MS floppy Sea of Thieves is garnering sales in the millions. I remember the days when PUBG was creating tears with its low framerate and 5+ million sales, now you have a game will little content selling in the millions. Poor poor Sony fannies. When will they get a break from their movie games?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

it has the foundation but they didn't finish the first floor. Hopefully they add to this

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro

@cainetao11 said:

it has the foundation but they didn't finish the first floor. Hopefully they add to this

Its a well seasoned bone. :)

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tgob89

@xhawk27 said:
@tgob89 said:
@BigBadBully said:

I think it's like Steam refund policy, if you play more than two hours you don't get a refund.

lol...exactly, with a game like Sea of Thieves it won't take that long.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@Pedro: Lol pubg...

Resident sleeper.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

Do Cuphead and Ori considered MS new IPs or not?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#30 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Pedro said:
@cainetao11 said:

Its a well seasoned bone. :)

LOL it has more than a bone with salt & pepper. But it needs not only work it needs idiots that made getting things done at Rare out of the way.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@drserigala said:

Ori was published by MS, Cuphead wasn't. Sunset Overdrive was a great new IP for the Xbox One. I hope that there is an announcement for SO 2 at E3. That game needs a sequel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

People compare it to NMS. Which is fair enough. But the NMS devs went into hiding after the launch and we've barely heard anything from them since, although I know they are working hard to make NMS the game they wanted it to be.

Rare have been posting regular updates on Twitter and update videos on YouTube since launch so I'm sure they haven't just shat this out and have a road map for SoT.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@boycie said:
@cainetao11 said:

People compare it to NMS. Which is fair enough. But the NMS devs went into hiding after the launch and we've barely heard anything from them since, although I know they are working hard to make NMS the game they wanted it to be.

Rare have been posting regular updates on Twitter and update videos on YouTube since launch so I'm sure they haven't just shat this out and have a road map for SoT.

NMS has had several updates so I wouldn't say they went into hiding. The comparison to NMS is unfounded though. Sea of Thieves had an open beta and what gamers experienced was EXACTLY what they got in the final game. There was no mystery or false promises with regards to Sea of Thieves. The game has been very transparent. Gamers was just hoping for more because they just couldn't believe that was all the game had to offer.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tgob89

@Pedro said:

It must be really hard for the Sony fannies that MS floppy Sea of Thieves is garnering sales in the millions. I remember the days...

Yeah, I remember the days when xbox fans were slamming Street Fighter V and No Mans Sky for lack of content and claiming they would never pay $60 for games that were so bare bones in content?

Now...that's ALL they have to play lol.

Fun times huh?

Poor poor xbox fannies when will they get a break from early access 12 fps glitch fests and unfinished downloadable XBL arcade level excuses for "AAA" games? :'(

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

1. You realize how M$ barely had any new ip's this gen

2. M$ is counting game pass users, as if it were sales - that's one of the saddest things i've ever seen in my life

3. Even with game pass sales PS exclusives outsell Sea of Piss.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@tgob89 said:
@Pedro said:

It must be really hard for the Sony fannies that MS floppy Sea of Thieves is garnering sales in the millions. I remember the days...

Yeah, I remember the days when xbox fans were slamming Street Fighter V and No Mans Sky for lack of content and claiming they would never pay $60 for games that were so bare bones in content?

Now...that's ALL they have to play lol.

Fun times huh?

Poor poor xbox fannies when will they get a break from early access 12 fps glitch fests and unfinished downloadable XBL arcade level excuses for "AAA" exclusives? :'(

As I have said, it must be really hard for you Sony fannies.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 me2002

@Pedro said:
@drserigala said:

Ori was published by MS, Cuphead wasn't. Sunset Overdrive was a great new IP for the Xbox One. I hope that there is an announcement for SO 2 at E3. That game needs a sequel.

Not sure if "published by MS" counts as Microsoft's IP, but actual ownership of the IP belongs to insomniac, it was part of the deal.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tgob89

@Pedro said:

As I have said, it must be really hard for you Sony fannies.

Eh, you got me Pedro.

It's pretty hard to have so many high quality options of games to choose from and making choices on the best games that I can only play on my system. :(

It would be much easier to be a Xbox fanboy with literally no quality games to play outside of multiplats that everyone else can also play. Makes life so much easier when your exclusive line-up is virtually non-existent or just laughable half games and desperate early access pass offs.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Why the hell would you count free trials on gamepass as sales? Most stupid thing ive ever seen from microsoft

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

For all the usual salty cows claiming that it's because of Game Pass, Aaron Greenberg from MS has confirmed it "does NOT include Game Pass" sales.

Link

So you can all move the goal posts again and spill your bullsh*t from a different angle.

@Pedro said:

It must be really hard for the Sony fannies that MS floppy Sea of Thieves is garnering sales in the millions. I remember the days when PUBG was creating tears with its low framerate and 5+ million sales, now you have a game will little content selling in the millions. Poor poor Sony fannies. When will they get a break from their movie games?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I like to see Battle Royal mode into Sea of Thieves if that's possible in the future.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 me2002

But how much did it sell? too embarrassed to reveal numbers MS? just like Xbone sales numbers and all the other MS exclusives?

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Why the hell would you count free trials on gamepass as sales? Most stupid thing ive ever seen from microsoft

No this has to be one of the stupidest posts I have seen in a while!

They didn't https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/979005629971931136

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Thats impressive for a 6/10

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Thats impressive for a 6/10

I think its the only MS new IP for this generation, making it rather easy

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

MS spinning numbers again, all they do this gen. And their fanbase is happy with this, the most pathetic crowd around.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12067 Posts

Xbox owners do love buying exclusives.

MSoft all about the games.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Best-selling new Microsoft IP of this generation. I that's nearly specific enough to be worthless as a metric. Also, compared to what? MS has had **** all for new IPs this generation.