SC: Conviction is not a stealth / good game (list of reasons why)

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts

These claims of "redefining" the stealth genre is just bull crap. If this is what stealth games are going to be in the future, I am NEVER buying one again. It's pathetic... and here is my list.

1. Regenerating health for the first time in a SC game
  2. Can't hide bodies
  3. No sound meter
  4. No light meter
  5. Because no light meter, dynamic shadow cover is gone, so it's either they see you, or they don't.
  6. Whistling has been removed
  7. Silhouette shows your last known location, basically showing you where you shouldn't be
  8. You only have on suppressed gun (if you didn't order the Gamestop pre-order)
  9. No more stalking animations
  10. On that note, no more sneaking animations at all
  11. No more knife
  12. Only one speed of moving while crouching - briskly
  13. No more interrogating of random characters, but only of "key" characters to progress story
  14. No more "codec" convos with your support team
  15. Which means... Team Banter is gone.
  16. Encourages shooting and killing everything (Mark and Execute is the most obvious example)
  17. No more whitty humor from Sam
  18. 5 hour single campaign
  19. One entire mission from the campaign is a flashback to Iraq, meaning no stealth at all
  20. Spy vs Merc is gone

What kind of games are we promoting these days? SC was one of my favorite franchises, and this happens? Tell me what you think.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I think people should accept the changes and move on. If you can not accept them then do not buy the game. I am upset with the removal of a few things, but it seems to be a solid game from what I am hearing.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Im gonna go ahead and counter everything you said with one sentence.

You havent played the game yet.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
In reality it sounds like Splinter Cell has just received what I would like to now dub the. "Resident Evil Treatment" IE: Changing the entire game, stripping those so called features the games were lauded for and aim to remake them as better games using popular mechanics from more action oriented games.
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zero_snake99

Fizzman
Regardless of me not playing the game yet, essential things for a stealth game is gone. Any concept or previous mechanic for sound/light is gone. What type of game is this now? It's an action game. Hell, even MGS4 wasn't this bad. Yeah, MGS4 you can shoot anyone with rockets if you really wanted, but to eventually hide, you had to legitimately hide. Shadows don't hide you in MGS4, and the game doesn't tell you "hey, they know you are here." So even in its most "stealth" form, SCC isn't a stealth game.
zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zero_snake99
I think people should accept the changes and move on. If you can not accept them then do not buy the game. I am upset with the removal of a few things, but it seems to be a solid game from what I am hearing.millerlight89
It may be a solid game, but its not a stealth game.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

And yet, it still almost as stealth as MGS4. Both terrible games, one however won't be terribly overrated.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 millerlight89

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

zero_snake99

Regardless of me not playing the game yet, essential things for a stealth game is gone. Any concept or previous mechanic for sound/light is gone. What type of game is this now? It's an action game. Hell, even MGS4 wasn't this bad. Yeah, MGS4 you can shoot anyone with rockets if you really wanted, but to eventually hide, you had to legitimately hide. Shadows don't hide you in MGS4, and the game doesn't tell you "hey, they know you are here." So even in its most "stealth" form, SCC isn't a stealth game.

Except MGS4 gameplay/gunplay is really not that great.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#9 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

becuase you already have a copy of the game amirite?

the only valid sensible and unidiotic claim on that list is number 20.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 millerlight89

And yet, it still almost as stealth as MGS4. Both terrible games, one however won't be terribly overrated.

-Snooze-
Glad to see you have played and came up with a conclusion.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
I'm still gonna buy it. : ) I play good games, not only games that are the exact same as their predecessors.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
If it does things differently, it does not mean the game will be bad. It's still jampacked with content, and presentation is top-notch.
Poison_1vy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Poison_1vy
Member since 2009 • 265 Posts
I think people should accept the changes and move on. If you can not accept them then do not buy the game. I am upset with the removal of a few things, but it seems to be a solid game from what I am hearing.millerlight89
off topic: how the hell did you put 654 hours into fear 2? i don't think i even clocked that many gaming hours in my entire life.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Snooze-

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

millerlight89

Fair enough. One is a terrible game terribly overrated. The other is a game with a terrible demo.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zero_snake99

becuase you already have a copy of the game amirite?

the only valid sensible and unidiotic claim on that list is number 20.

Dead-Memories
How are any of the rest any less valid statements? Tell me. How is a game stealth without any concept of dynamic lighting or sound? With this logic you hold manhunt is a stealth game, when it isn't. Manhunt, you can hide in the shadows, and they not see you. You can run in the shadows, and them not hear you. Why!? Why did they do that!? How is any of this stealth? For pete's sake, Fisher shimmys across ledges as fast as some people jog/run!
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
You should learn to accept changes. Otherwise, every game would "feel" the same
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

-Snooze-

Fair enough. One is a terrible game terribly overrated. The other is a game with a terrible demo.

There you go :). I have heard so many different opinions on the demo, some say it is crap and some say they have never played a demo so many times. I can't decide if the demo is good or not due to not getting a freaking PC demo :(.
Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

To say MGS4 is crap just blows my mind. That game is SO GOOD. One of the best experiences I've had this generation (by the way, MGS4 doesn't advertise as a stealth game. The stealth is just an added bonus)

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zero_snake99
[QUOTE="93soccer"]You should learn to accept changes. Otherwise, every game would "feel" the same

The ironic thing about your statement is that they are changing the game to make it like every other game out there. A mindless shooter. SC was one of a kind. Excluding Thief, the SC series was the epitome of "stealth" in gaming. What is it now? It's a shooter. In the most difficult setting, I can guarantee you that you will lose easier in any other SC than you will in Conviction.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 millerlight89

To say MGS4 is crap just blows my mind. That game is SO GOOD. One of the best experiences I've had this generation (by the way, MGS4 doesn't advertise as a stealth game. The stealth is just an added bonus)

Infinite_Access
Well the game is not terrible at all, I enjoyed everyone of the MGS games. Though I have to admit it is lacking in the gameplay department for me.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Snooze-

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

[QUOTE="millerlight89"] Glad to see you have played and came up with a conclusion.millerlight89

There you go :). I have heard so many different opinions on the demo, some say it is crap and some say they have never played a demo so many times. I can't decide if the demo is good or not due to not getting a freaking PC demo :(.

Don't take my opinion on it. I exagerrate a lot. Plus im a hardcore Splinter Cell fanboy. Any deviation from the norm makes me cry.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

These claims of "redefining" the stealth genre is just bull crap. If this is what stealth games are going to be in the future, I am NEVER buying one again. It's pathetic... and here is my list.

1. Regenerating health for the first time in a SC game Double Agent
  2. Can't hide bodies Doesn't fit with new gameplay tbh
  3. No sound meter Not necessary, silent crouch
  4. No light meter Black and white system
  5. Because no light meter, dynamic shadow cover is gone, so it's either they see you, or they don't. Fair point, I don't like this.
  6. Whistling has been removed Sticky cam music, whistling wasn't ever realistic
  7. Silhouette shows your last known location, basically showing you where you shouldn't be It's to help newbs who get detected
  8. You only have on suppressed gun (if you didn't order the Gamestop pre-order) Shotgun is not only supressed gun.
  9. No more stalking animations Yes there is, go right behind an enemy and Sam will change his stance.
  10. On that note, no more sneaking animations at all ^
  11. No more knife Not necessary, it's superflous with the awesome Krav Maga takedowns.
  12. Only one speed of moving while crouching - briskly yep
  13. No more interrogating of random characters, but only of "key" characters to progress story yep, but it's much more cinematic and fun.
  14. No more "codec" convos with your support team This isn't MGS, what are you talking about?
  15. Which means... Team Banter is gone. Huh?
  16. Encourages shooting and killing everything (Mark and Execute is the most obvious example) Yep, sam is pissed he doesn't care.
  17. No more whitty humor from Sam Just not true.
  18. 5 hour single campaign Hmm, when did you play?
  19. One entire mission from the campaign is a flashback to Iraq, meaning no stealth at all Diversity.
  20. Spy vs Merc is gone Never played it, but fair enough.

What kind of games are we promoting these days? SC was one of my favorite franchises, and this happens? Tell me what you think.

zero_snake99

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

-Snooze-

Don't take my opinion on it. I exagerrate a lot. Plus im a hardcore Splinter Cell fanboy. Any deviation from the norm makes me cry.

I take everyone's opinions into consideration. So no worries there. I can understand how really hardcore fanbooys are upset, I started out with the first back in the day. I am mad at some of the things removed, Mercs vs Spys being removed is the biggest blow for me. Though After the changes that happened to my beloved Resident Evil series nothing phases me anymore, they just crushed my love for the series.
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

LOL wut? :lol:

I stopped reading at the first reason because it's obvious that you don't know much about the SC games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2174cc8f575
deactivated-5f2174cc8f575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f2174cc8f575
Member since 2005 • 805 Posts

I finished the game today and I can safely say that it's the worst game in the series without question. Everything has been simplified beyond belief. If they wanted to change the formula so drastically, they should have just made a new IP. This just isn't Splinter Cell anymore. :(

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

The short singleplayer stopped me from pre-ordering it.

I was hoping for AC2 in modern times. :(

CMPunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CMPunk13
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts

1. Regenerating health for the first time in a SC game
  2. Can't hide bodies
  3. No sound meter
  4. No light meter
  5. Because no light meter, dynamic shadow cover is gone, so it's either they see you, or they don't.
  6. Whistling has been removed
  7. Silhouette shows your last known location, basically showing you where you shouldn't be
  8. You only have on suppressed gun (if you didn't order the Gamestop pre-order)
  9. No more stalking animations
  10. On that note, no more sneaking animations at all
  11. No more knife
  12. Only one speed of moving while crouching - briskly
  13. No more interrogating of random characters, but only of "key" characters to progress story
  14. No more "codec" convos with your support team
  15. Which means... Team Banter is gone.
  16. Encourages shooting and killing everything (Mark and Execute is the most obvious example)
  17. No more whitty humor from Sam
  18. 5 hour single campaign
  19. One entire mission from the campaign is a flashback to Iraq, meaning no stealth at all
  20. Spy vs Merc is gone

zero_snake99

The game "encourages" shooting and killing everything, yet you can still go through being stealthy.

Why would Sam crack one liners when he's pissed off about his daughters death? If someone is in a cheery mood after their daughter dies, something isn't wired right upstairs.

The single campaign is more than five hours. I'm getting tired of people using Hilary saying that, on his third damn playthrough, it took him five hours. Most people can get through a game rather quickly on their third playthrough when you know where to go and what to do. You don't believe me that others have gotten to at least eight hours before finally getting towards the end, just check the forum on Ubisoft's site or a forum like NeoGaf.

I don't really have a problem with the Iraq mission. It helps tell part of the story, I can forgive one mission with NO option for stealth if it helps progress the story.

All of this is just an opinion on why YOU don't think it will be a good game.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SgtKevali

UnknownSniper65

An open world light social stealth action adventure? We've known it's not that for quite some time, lol. O_o

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jynxzor

I finished the game today and I can safely say that it's the worst game in the series without question. Everything has been simplified beyond belief. If they wanted to change the formula so drastically, they should have just made a new IP. This just isn't Splinter Cell anymore. :(

Sserv
I once again Reiterate my point, this is what Resident Evil fans "Myself included" said they should have done instead of bastardizing a game into something that it's not. I think Stealth is going the way of Survival Horror...and thats extinct.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

UbiSoft should of stuck to the original concept they had for SC: C IMO.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

SgtKevali

An open world light social stealth action adventure? We've known it's not that for quite some time, lol. O_o

I didn't really pay too much attention to it...just a couple of videos I saw.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 millerlight89

jasonharris48
Didn't the first concept revolve even less around stealth? If so, that would only mean more complaining lol.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

I think people should accept the changes and move on.millerlight89

When you say move on. Theres nothing to move on to. Everything has been toned down into an action title for the casuals that want their 5 hour adrenaline rush fix.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

millerlight89

Didn't the first concept revolve even less around stealth? If so, that would only mean more complaining lol.

It was social stealth with no L&S.

CMPunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CMPunk13
Member since 2006 • 1770 Posts

jasonharris48

So we could have "hardcore" fans (who have been around for one or two games) complaining about hobo Sam and everything being in broad daylight? I remember back when it looked like that is what they were going to do, just about everyone was saying WTF. Even had me, who is extremely excited for Conviction and more than willing to except change, wondering what they were doing with the series.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

So basically you are saying that because it isn't like every other Splinter Cell game it's bad. That's nonsense. You cannot say "These things are what make a game a stealth game" and define that absolutely as a stealth game. Hell, if you did that then MGS isn't a stealth series.

Both MGS 4 and Splinter Cell have ALWAYS been action games with stealth mechanics. Splinter Cell has been more stealth based than MGS (IMO) but as the producers have said MULTIPLE times, Sam Fisher no longer works for Third Echelon and his tactics have changed.

Time for you to get over it.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

SgtKevali

It was social stealth with no L&S.

Ahhh yes, now I remember. Blending in with the crowd. Yea that was pretty awesome. Was a really cool concept.
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KarateeeChop

So basically you are saying that because it isn't like every other Splinter Cell game it's bad. That's nonsense. You cannot say "These things are what make a game a stealth game" and define that absolutely as a stealth game. Hell, if you did that then MGS isn't a stealth series.

Both MGS 4 and Splinter Cell have ALWAYS been action games with stealth mechanics. Splinter Cell has been more stealth based than MGS (IMO) but as the producers have said MULTIPLE times, Sam Fisher no longer works for Third Echelon and his tactics have changed.

heretrix

not only that, but both ign and gs have said that SCC is a stealth game

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
It's the age of the shooter. You fix any game that has shooting elements by greatly reducing the non-shooter stuff and highly increasing the shooter stuff. Resident Evil and Mass Effect would like to welcome you to the club. Shooter fans outnumber everyone else so they'll trumpet it as, "this is the best survival horror/stealth/rpg game I've ever played!!!" and say that anyone thinking otherwise is caught up in the minutia of the genre and can't see the light.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

KarateeeChop

It sure as hell seemed like stealth to me when I played the demo.It's faster paced but I went through the entire demo taking out everyone without firing a shot.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jynxzor
I really liked the social blending idea of the old SS concept, also Hobo Fisher was a much better character than he is now. It was like taking the Assassins creed blending to the next level.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 heretrix

I really liked the social blending idea of the old SS concept, also Hobo Fisher was a much better character than he is now. It was like taking the Assassins creed blending to the next level.Jynxzor
The only problem with that is that's an Assassin's Creed tactic. I'm glad they decided not to use it in both games.

'

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Snooze-

It took a dude 5 hours to complete on this third playthrough? I don't see the problem.

How long was UC1? UC2? GOW3? Not long games ... All aside from UC2 have less replayablity then SC

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KarateeeChop

[QUOTE="KarateeeChop"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

It sure as hell seemed like stealth to me when I played the demo.It's faster paced but I went through the entire demo taking out everyone without firing a shot.

yep, that's the best way to play the demo

rickatick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rickatick
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts
2 reasons why people should ignore this topic you haven't played the game your a cow
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 millerlight89
[QUOTE="rickatick"]2 reasons why people should ignore this topic you haven't played the game your a cow

Well to be fair he has a few good points, but he takes it a bit over the top.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

CMPunk13

So we could have "hardcore" fans (who have been around for one or two games) complaining about hobo Sam and everything being in broad daylight? I remember back when it looked like that is what they were going to do, just about everyone was saying WTF. Even had me, who is extremely excited for Conviction and more than willing to except change, wondering what they were doing with the series.

The whole sleath in day light social stealth (even though it id remind me of AC)seemed like a more interesting concept to me.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Snooze-

I like the idea of the new stealth system, i'm just not happy that some things from the old one didn't survive the change.

Stealth isn't just about creeping about. A Tiger is stealthy, and yet when it wants to, much like Sam it can tear people apart.

Previously SC games used stealth as THE main element, the only way to succeed. The new SC used stealth as an additional element to action game.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="zero_snake99"]

1. Regenerating health for the first time in a SC game Double Agent
  2. Can't hide bodies Doesn't fit with new gameplay tbh
  3. No sound meter Not necessary, silent crouch
  4. No light meter Black and white system
  5. Because no light meter, dynamic shadow cover is gone, so it's either they see you, or they don't. Fair point, I don't like this.
  6. Whistling has been removed Sticky cam music, whistling wasn't ever realistic
  7. Silhouette shows your last known location, basically showing you where you shouldn't be It's to help newbs who get detected
  8. You only have on suppressed gun (if you didn't order the Gamestop pre-order) Shotgun is not only supressed gun.
  9. No more stalking animations Yes there is, go right behind an enemy and Sam will change his stance.
  10. On that note, no more sneaking animations at all ^
  11. No more knife Not necessary, it's superflous with the awesome Krav Maga takedowns.
  12. Only one speed of moving while crouching - briskly yep
  13. No more interrogating of random characters, but only of "key" characters to progress story yep, but it's much more cinematic and fun.
  14. No more "codec" convos with your support team This isn't MGS, what are you talking about?
  15. Which means... Team Banter is gone. Huh?
  16. Encourages shooting and killing everything (Mark and Execute is the most obvious example) Yep, sam is pissed he doesn't care.
  17. No more whitty humor from Sam Just not true.
  18. 5 hour single campaign Hmm, when did you play?
  19. One entire mission from the campaign is a flashback to Iraq, meaning no stealth at all Diversity.
  20. Spy vs Merc is gone Never played it, but fair enough.

SgtKevali

Your counter points are incredibly lame and shallow, the fact he crouches when hes behind someone does not magically change the fact that you don't normally have a stalking animation. Saying things were changed to help newbs, doesn't justify dumb additions.
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#50 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

Why does everyone think that if something changes or evolves, it has to be for the worst. Sure a lot of gameplay elements you're used to have been tossed out, but that's not to say plenty of new mechanics have been added in their place, or that the absence of the old mechanics somehow makes the game worse. So what if you can't hide bodies, is that really what made Splinter Cell fun for you? Do you really want stealth games to be Chaos Theory for the rest of time? Probably not. That would get old after a while. The SC series (and perhaps the stealth game genre as a whole) is evolving, and while I can't speak for the quality of Conviction, the evolution of the series as a whole doesn't make Conviction inherently bad.

No Spies vs. Mercs sucks big time, though.