Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

@Pedro said:
@osan0 said:

For the bit highlighted in bold: It should though.

Console games have indeed had performance issues. Those are usually examples of poorly made console games (i was playing the old TNMT nes game recently and....yikes konami :S).

But if a game is being made for a console then the developer really should be tuning it so it hits the devs target framerate at all times. Of course that can mean that some effects are paired back or some other compromise is made. If that's what needs to be done then so be it.

Just like there are plenty of badly performing console games, there are also many examples of console games running at their target framerate just fine, no matter how weak the console is.

Same with ports. If a port is performing poorly on it's target hardware then it's a poor port. It's not the consoles fault. Either the port house screwed up or (more likely) the publisher just wanted a quick and cheap port.

A more powerful Switch will, make existing ports run better (assuming Nintendo don't have some weird "Switch Mode" where the Switch 2 basically becomes a switch 1 for switch 1 games). But then poor ports targeting the Switch 2 will still have inconsistent framerates. Hardware won't solve that problem.

Going back to the BG3 debacle around Co-Op on the XSS. Everyone blamed the console for it's specs. But it's not the console: the fault there lies with Larian. They knew they were bringing the game to Xbox. They knew it was a requirement that all Xbox games be able to run on the XSS and XSX. They also knew that feature parity was a requirement. But, for whatever reason, they only found out late in development that the Co-Op feature wouldn't work on the XSS. Not the consoles fault. Not MSs fault. Larian made a mistake.

Super Mario Brothers has performance issues when too many enemies were onscreen. Would you say that is a poorly made game?😏

There is a lot of wrong in your comment. You are grossly (I cannot stress more) understating the difficulty in developing and optimizing games. Some optimizations as low hanging fruit. Others are more complex and the worse is inconsistent performance issues which is frustratingly hard to resolve due to it not being predictable. And then there are other constraints, financial, deadline, resources etc. The more gameplay focus a game is, the greater the chances of performance issues. By your own definition, games like Tears of the Kingdom are poorly made because it has framerate issues.😮

Better hardware improves the chances of games being better performing as a whole.

"This is why I am hoping with the advancement in tech that their next system would be more consistent with framerates."

If a developer designs a game with specific constraints, porting the game to a system with different constraints, especially performance is going to be a hurdle. That is like blaming the designer for their original design for a specific client not working as well with another client.

I don't know the development process or hurdles Larian faced, so I am reserving judgement until I have sufficient information.

This could get a bit ranty and is a bit off topic so my brief reply to the bit in bold.

Yes it's the designers fault (the designer of whoever is moving the game to the new system to be clear). Every system has constraints. These constraints are known on consoles because the spec is fixed. If a designer says they can make their design work on a different system (and the fact the game is released says they did) and it ends up running like crap then it's the designers fault. Blaming the console spec is like blaming the wind for a bridge collapsing.

This is not to say consoles cannot be criticised by devs. Of course they can. Every console, handheld and PC has it's issues and things to improve on for the next version. But those issues are not going to go away for the current console. It is what it is. Devs have to work to that.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

The price point for this thing will be very interesting.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

It specifically says PS4 games that are on PC so perhaps it's some sort of PlayStation branded handheld PC. That makes a lot more sense to me considering it could work with future PlayStation Studio releases.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6718 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

@TheEroica: Notice how you avoid how not every game runs on the Steamdeck even if that game was bought on Steam, and fanboy the handheld itself by making unsubstantiated claims?

But, but, it's popular, buy can't prove it with factual numbers sold. Why would Gaben hide the numbers if it was popular?

Now watch how you avoid the question and go off on some fanciful tangent.

The things you are fixated on tickle me.... It's very obvious who the people are who have actually experienced steam deck and those who have opinions and no real world experience. God speed on your mission brother... My steam deck library of playable games is larger than this entire generation of games put together, but by all means keep fixating on the few games that don't.

I'm not fixated on the Steamdeck, you are. I made a comment, a legit one and you replied to me. I don't need to experience the Deck to know that not all games work on it, and I don't need to own one to know that Gaben after 2yrs refuses to release sold numbers, and we all know what that means including you, even though (and I called it) you wouldn't touch on how you came to the conclusion that its popular, a claim you've made in multiple threads without proof, just your emotions taking over.

Now I don't want to get into a conversation over this again, I made my post, maybe you should keep your emotions in check and don't hit reply and we don't have to go over it again.

Have a nice day 👍

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@osan0 said:

This could get a bit ranty and is a bit off topic so my brief reply to the bit in bold.

Yes it's the designers fault (the designer of whoever is moving the game to the new system to be clear). Every system has constraints. These constraints are known on consoles because the spec is fixed. If a designer says they can make their design work on a different system (and the fact the game is released says they did) and it ends up running like crap then it's the designers fault. Blaming the console spec is like blaming the wind for a bridge collapsing.

This is not to say consoles cannot be criticised by devs. Of course they can. Every console, handheld and PC has it's issues and things to improve on for the next version. But those issues are not going to go away for the current console. It is what it is. Devs have to work to that.

That analogy makes no sense in context. A more accurate analogy would be a bridge with a certain weight limit collapsing when burden with more weight than it is capable of supporting. This analogy can be applied to both the console and the game design.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 osan0

@Pedro said:
@osan0 said:

That analogy makes no sense in context. A more accurate analogy would be a bridge with a certain weight limit collapsing when burden with more weight than it is capable of supporting. This analogy can be applied to both the console and the game design.

Your analogy doesn't work either. Who gets the blame for the bridge collapsing because there was too much weight put on it? It's not the drivers going over the bridge. It's not the manufacturers of the vehicles. It's not the distance over the river that's at fault. Either the bridge was poorly designed or it was poorly constructed. Either way the fault lies with the bridge and those who made it.

Like the wind in a given area or the distance to cover over the crossing point, the console spec is the spec. That's the environment the dev is working in. It's not going to change. Developers can't just ignore it, push on with the game then blame the console spec when the game runs poorly.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 693 Posts

In a world where you have the Steam Deck and their competitors that can play current games on the go why would you need a portable that would play a new library of games?

Wouldn't it better for Sony to optimise their first party library so their games can run well on these devices and grab the software money rather than a costly production cycle?

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 568 Posts

Sony's recent hardware endeavours have been failures and this being last gen only would be yet another.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3116 Posts

Would it being a phone work? I was saying the Vita should've been a phone before it released. They even had a slider prototype, and that was before phones are as big as they are now. If mobile gaming 🤮🤮🤮 is 50% of the market, and Sony only seems to be going for the money makers, this seems like something they should check out. Does the steam deck have access to the Google play and the Apple store? Is this what Microsoft is doing with their mobile store and handheld?

PSP failed because the games were so easy to pirate, right? And Vita failed because they charged so much for their proprietary sd cards. What reason will kill the system this time?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3258 Posts

If that system is a cross hybrid like the Switch is where you can play both in handheld and on T.V, and has unique exclusive games on it and a reasonable price. Then I might be interested for it but I doubt that is what it is going to be.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4274 Posts

They can’t compete with Nintendo handhelds though. Easy flop.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: "Why would they release a handheld that could only run PS4 games though? "

I can see them adding PS1/PS2/PSP downloads while streaming PS3/5/6 games.

But that's still not good enough for me though. I think it needs its own games.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 873 Posts

Please let this be a reality. I would give anything to play PS4 games on a train on my way to work. I love my Switch, but a portable PS4 would be crazy awesome.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

@PSP107: I'd even go one farther and say it's own games AND pc launcher compatibility. If it doesn't have those selling points I feel as though it will have a hard time competing with things like Steam Deck, Lenovo Legion, and ROG Ally which can all already play the vast majority of bigger PlayStation games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

Investing an entire production line, marketing campaign, and more into a current-gen handheld that only plays last-gen games seems misguided at best.

It also seems very, very lazy and low-effort. It's like they did the Portal thing and it sold well and Sony is like "Hmmm maybe there's something we can do with this, but we don't want to work very hard. How can we exploit our customer base?" and, voila...outdated-out-the-gate portable gaming console.

@WitIsWisdom said:

Why would they release a handheld that could only run PS4 games though? There are plenty of handheld options these days that can run just about anything... that wouldn't make much sense at all.

Right? Very curious.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Didn't cows just buy Phony's fake handheld and worthless PVR2?

And now mooaar hardware with a BS Jive Bro to buy but no new games?

Cows on suicide watch confirmed. lol :P

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Are you suggesting that Sony is trying to weather their lack of compelling content with Unsupported gimmicky hardware because they believe their fanbase will buy it no matter what?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@SecretPolice said:

Are you suggesting that Sony is trying to weather their lack of compelling content with Unsupported gimmicky hardware because they believe their fanbase will buy it no matter what?

No, no, not at all but now that you say it that way me thinks you're on to something. ;o

lolol :P

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts

A curious rumor, for certain. Wasn't their last handheld a flop? But I guess keep throwing things until something sticks?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Pedro

@osan0 said:

Your analogy doesn't work either. Who gets the blame for the bridge collapsing because there was too much weight put on it? It's not the drivers going over the bridge. It's not the manufacturers of the vehicles. It's not the distance over the river that's at fault. Either the bridge was poorly designed or it was poorly constructed. Either way the fault lies with the bridge and those who made it.

Like the wind in a given area or the distance to cover over the crossing point, the console spec is the spec. That's the environment the dev is working in. It's not going to change. Developers can't just ignore it, push on with the game then blame the console spec when the game runs poorly.

If there is too much weight on a bridge and that weight causes it to collapse, whomever placed the bridge under pressure it was not designed for is to blame. This is not complicated. This applies to many devices, buildings and other things we interact with in life. Thus the existence of specification and the notion of correct use. If a person use something out of specification and something awful happens the fault lies on the user.

If a game runs poorly on a system, the system can be blamed for the poor performance. Stating that a developer cannot blame the hardware when the hardware is the cause for the poor performance is ludicrous. I will re-iterate, if a game is design for a certain specification/hardware and it is then ported to weaker less capable hardware, the performance of the game on weaker hardware is going to be due to it being on weaker hardware. It doesn't mean the developer can't potentially find ways to navigate the limitations of the weaker hardware but the weaker hardware being the cause cannot be ignored by default. Game development is complicated and you are grossly simplifying the process.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PSP107

@WitIsWisdom: "I feel as though it will have a hard time competing with things like Steam Deck, Lenovo Legion, and ROG Ally"

Wouldn't it compete more with Switch 2 than those PC handhelds?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#72 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

If true, this might be the only PlayStation hardware worth buying.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#73 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

No thank you. After the abysmal support for the Vita, PSVR and PSVR2, I am thinking I will not be buying anymore handheld or peripherals Sony makes.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@PSP107: In generations of the past I would say yes, but when those handhelds play PS, Xbox, and Nintendo (for those in the know or who don't care) games as well as PC games for a comparable price it just doesn't make sense.

My ROG Ally has Gamepass, Playstation games linked to my account through steam, emulators, trophy and achievement support, the ability to dock and hook up to my TV, big picture mode, game pad support for nearly any game, interfaces and front menus that are getting more and more streamlined, automatic updates, all the free games I've collected off various different websites and launchers, Prime, the list goes on and on.

I feel as though consoles and PCs are maybe a generation away from being combined almost in their entirety. MS is already pushing streaming and such functionality, and with AI continuously pushing the boundaries of what's possible technology is moving very fast right now and prices will continue to stabilize and drop as dev times decrease and quality improves. It's only a matter of time before one of them creates an all in one device to compete away from the general console marketplace.

I see MS making the change first and Playstation right on their heels. PS has already seen a huge boon from putting their games on PC. It is natural progression to create an all in one device that plays all games without the hassle of upgrades, forced updating that isn't automatic, etc. They will want to market a device that has compatibility with nearly everything while having the convenience and out of the box functionality of a console.

My guess is that the next PS and Xbox consoles will be at least 600 dollars and the extreme ally is only 700. With an ever changing market and people expecting more and more the overall winner or first to strike it big will be the company who says "ok, we will make deals to have pretty much all games in one place, while streamlining the experience for console gamers".

I can see a 6 or 7 hundred dollar handheld hybrid released by both MS and SONY and also a console from each for around the same price... perhaps even 2 or 3 skus day 1 with the most expensive pushing closer to 1k. Perhaps even a lower powered handheld that can't be docked as well for a lower 300 to 500 price tag. Playstation has had great success with the portal and they will almost undoubtedly see that success and expand upon it in the future as the industry keeps changing.

I even see Nintendo eventually giving in and joining them as well... they already started releasing mobile games. Mobile, PC, and console will all be melded into one in the very near future. Hell mobile and PC are pretty much getting there already, especially with Epic.. then you add in the fact devs and the big three won't want to leave millions sitting on the table, and its only natural progression. Certain exclusives or features will still set them apart. We will see wars much more akin to pc launchers where it will be indies and AA games only being released for certain consoles in order to keep some competition within the industry.

Of course this is all educated speculation, but the writing is on the wall and the industry is clearly moving in that direction.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

@Willy105 said:

If true, this might be the only PlayStation hardware worth buying.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 osan0

@Pedro said:
@osan0 said:

If there is too much weight on a bridge and that weight causes it to collapse, whomever placed the bridge under pressure it was not designed for is to blame. This is not complicated. This applies to many devices, buildings and other things we interact with in life. Thus the existence of specification and the notion of correct use. If a person use something out of specification and something awful happens the fault lies on the user.

If a game runs poorly on a system, the system can be blamed for the poor performance. Stating that a developer cannot blame the hardware when the hardware is the cause for the poor performance is ludicrous. I will re-iterate, if a game is design for a certain specification/hardware and it is then ported to weaker less capable hardware, the performance of the game on weaker hardware is going to be due to it being on weaker hardware. It doesn't mean the developer can't potentially find ways to navigate the limitations of the weaker hardware but the weaker hardware being the cause cannot be ignored by default. Game development is complicated and you are grossly simplifying the process.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree because this will go round in circles.

So the way you are seeing this analogy: who is the user? I see the user (those crossing the bridge) as the player. The developer is the bridge builder and designer. The environment is the console. So if the wind brings the bridge down then the bridge was badly made. If the bridge collapsed due to it's length and too many cars were on it then it was still a poorly made bridge. The environment is what it is. Drivers crossing the bridge is a perfectly reasonable use of a bridge. Maybe I'll cut out the analogy :P.

But the way I see things anyway. In the console space: blaming hardware and arguing that more powerful hardware is the answer to performance issues is just applying PC thinking to a console problem. Once a console is out: its out. It wont change. The spec is fixed. So blaming the CPU or memory bandwidth or whatever is fruitless. The Spec is the Spec. It will not change. Yes the game may be CPU bottlenecked (for example) but a faster CPU is not going to arrive. So if a game is released on any console and it performs poorly due to the CPU then someone in the games production messed up. The CPU was a known quantity going in.

For as long as publishers/developers decide to release poorly performing games on consoles, there will always be poorly performing games on consoles. More powerful hardware won't fix that problem. The Switch 2 won't fix this problem. No console ever will.

I mean do you blame the Specs of the Switch for the state Arkham Knight was released in?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro

@osan0: You are missing what I am stating and saying things that are not being said whilst missing the half that aligns. Ah well.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By PSP107

@WitIsWisdom: "I can see a 6 or 7 hundred dollar handheld hybrid released by both MS and SONY and also a console from each for around the same price... perhaps even 2 or 3 skus day 1 with the most expensive pushing closer to 1k."

$600-$1000 PS/Xbox devices? 🤔

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@PSP107: Yep, they will likely have multiple skus and since the handhelds are selling extremely well in the 600-1000 range I would imagine they will want to get in on that action. They just recently upped the price of games from 60 to 70 dollars, so a hop from 500 to 600 for the baseline and 700 or 800 plus for a higher end option is probably pretty realistic at this point. Of course I could be wrong since it's just a guess based on the market and trending hardware.

If they offer consoles that can run about anything on the market people will pay more for the added functionality. I have a lot of online friends that would love to get a PC but don't want the hassle. It's a perfect middle ground in my opinion. Then again I'm not saying it will happen, just saying it makes a whole hell of a lot of sense. Devs and companies want to charge more, so why not make it worth thr difference? Then again... it makes too much sense so it probably won't happen.. lol