RUMOR: 3ds redesign with focus on 2d arriving next year!

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Wow, I love Nintendo but this is just crazy, the rumor has a lot of credibility behind it.

It's not letting me post a link, so ill copy past

"By most accounts, the 3DS hasn't quite been the runaway success that Nintendo was banking on. The company attempted to address the lukewarm response with a significant price dropand an accompanying public apology. Now it seems that even more drastic measures may be in the works. French site01net, which has hit past gaming rumors squarely on the head, is reporting that Nintendo is working on a $10 analog joystick add-on that will snap onto the portable console. That revelation poses all kinds of questions, like how the system will be able to close with the controller in place and whether 3DS users will really take to such a thing. Even more interesting is the rumor that the company is working on a redesigned system for 2012, which, among other things, will pull some of the focus away from the 3D functionality that was so central to Nintendo's pitch when the device first launched. According to the rumor, that distancing from the 3D functionality may also be reflected in the name of the new model."

Rumor model changes:

• Significant 3d reduction and focus on 2d (perhaps this will also give the system a graphical boost)
  • Longer Battery
  • Two Analog Nubs, an add on will be sold for 10 dollars to old 3ds users to have two analog's as well
  • Select group of developers are working on the system
  • Supposed to come out next year
  • Nintendo is holding a conference around TGS that might unveil the redesign.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Is anyone surprised by this? Nintendo's handheld business revolves around selling gimped 1st gen versions of hardware and over-priced software.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

I also heard the next redesign will feature a cupholder. Can't wait:D

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Are they going to rebrand the 3ds to ds2?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Link, please?

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mexicangordo

Link, please?

jimkabrhel

I posted several links but silly GS is not letting them work, just google it, it was announced 10 minutes ago.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

wow guess 3DS floped that hard huh

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

If any of these rumors prove true, this is a major win for traditional gaming. Nintendo is learning the hard way that gimmicks only get you so far.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Doesn't matter if true, most developers wouldn't have bothered with 3D later on.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mexicangordo

If any of these rumors prove true, this is a major win for traditional gaming. Nintendo is learning the hard way that gimmicks only get you so far.

Wasdie

I don't see the 3ds as a gimick, what I do see is a system that was very poorly marketed, poorly distributed, and poorly supported by solid games and backbone of security.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

mexicangordo

I don't see the 3ds as a gimick, what I do see is a system that was very poorly marketed, poorly distributed, and poorly supported by solid games and backbone of security.

If the rumor is that Nintendo is stripping the 3D out of the 3DS, that's a sign that 3D may just be a little gimmick. Also if they have to add in a second analog joystick.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

2DS lol....

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

If the rumor is that Nintendo is stripping the 3D out of the 3DS, that's a sign that 3D may just be a little gimmick. Also if they have to add in a second analog joystick.

Uhh Nintendo said somewhat the same thing in terms of toning down the main aspect to the original DS and Wii. By what your saying, you believe those are gimicks too?

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I find this news upsetting. I just got one after the drop, and the main reason I got it was for the 3D. So yeah... I may just trade it in eventually. Oh well.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Wasdie

The problem I have with the 3D is that it doesn't pop-out like shutter glasses do. It creates depth, but backwards, not forwards like people expect. I love it at the same time, as it gives the idea of more "room" so the screen doesn't feel that small, if that makes any sense.

This is more than likely because they used basically the first glasses-less 3D screen of it's kind. If anything, the redesign, if there is one, should include an even BETTER screen for 3D. Sharp has more than likely improved the model vastly since it was developed 2 years ago.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Fortunately i didn't buy the 3DS.............i will wait for the next 3DS model.....i mean the next DS model.The 3D on the 3DS is just a gimmick.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#17 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Wasdie

Pretty much what he said people. I wouldn't mind this change at all.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Wow, doubt it is true But if it is...wow One of the lamest moves ever, lot's of people will be angry
PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

Honestly, these rumors just sounds totally false to me. "Focus on 2D"? What does that even mean? And how can the name of the system pull away from 3D? It's called the 3DS. Short of renaming the entire system, there's not a whole lot they could do.

And the 3DS doesn't need a second analog, much less a crappy add-on device. I'm calling bull on this entire rumor.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChubbyGuy40

i will wait for the next 3DS model.....i mean the next DS model.The 3D on the 3DS is just a gimmick.AtariKidX

Unfortunately for you there will be no new DS models. Ds is dead, 3DS is it's successor.

And what's wrong with gimmicks? You say it as if that's a bad thing :|

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChubbyGuy40

I find this news upsetting. I just got one after the drop, and the main reason I got it was for the 3D. So yeah... I may just trade it in eventually. Oh well.donalbane

I know I was planning to trade it in the moment they announced a 3DS XL, if they ever do.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Is anyone surprised by this? Nintendo's handheld business revolves around selling gimped 1st gen versions of hardware and over-priced software.MFDOOM1983
Doubt it's true, this will be a mega slap on consumers OT: your sig owns...it's awesome :lol:
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
That's odd, I wonder how the add on will work and the 3D reduction isn't appealing since the 3D is one of the main draws of the handheld to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I just can't believe it. I doubt that a company like Nintendo would draw back so quickly from the main selling point of a console or handheld.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

seems pretty stupid to me.

It would be a better move to improve the 3d screen, not take it out all together.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

ChubbyGuy40

The problem I have with the 3D is that it doesn't pop-out like shutter glasses do. It creates depth, but backwards, not forwards like people expect. I love it at the same time, as it gives the idea of more "room" so the screen doesn't feel that small, if that makes any sense.

This is more than likely because they used basically the first glasses-less 3D screen of it's kind. If anything, the redesign, if there is one, should include an even BETTER screen for 3D. Sharp has more than likely improved the model vastly since it was developed 2 years ago.

I know exactly what you mean, though the 3ds is capable of pop out dimensions as well (face raiders and 3ds pictures for proof) I just don't think developers are taking the time to fully utilize it in that aspect.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Nintendo can go die in a fire if they ditch 3D.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Not true.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mexicangordo

Honestly, these rumors just sounds totally false to me. "Focus on 2D"? What does that even mean? And how can the name of the system pull away from 3D? It's called the 3DS. Short of renaming the entire system, there's not a whole lot they could do.

And the 3DS doesn't need a second analog, much less a crappy add-on device. I'm calling bull on this entire rumor.

PoindeJ

The rumor's have heavy evidence behind it. The text i posted was only a snipit, lots of other websites claim the same thing because the person who revealed the rumor has a record have hitting things on the nail every time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow, I love Nintendo but this is just crazy, the rumor has a lot of credibility behind it.

It's not letting me post a link, so ill copy past

"By most accounts, the 3DS hasn't quite been the runaway success that Nintendo was banking on. The company attempted to address the lukewarm response with a significant price dropand an accompanying public apology. Now it seems that even more drastic measures may be in the works. French site01net, which has hit past gaming rumors squarely on the head, is reporting that Nintendo is working on a $10 analog joystick add-on that will snap onto the portable console. That revelation poses all kinds of questions, like how the system will be able to close with the controller in place and whether 3DS users will really take to such a thing. Even more interesting is the rumor that the company is working on a redesigned system for 2012, which, among other things, will pull some of the focus away from the 3D functionality that was so central to Nintendo's pitch when the device first launched. According to the rumor, that distancing from the 3D functionality may also be reflected in the name of the new model."

Rumor model changes:

• Significant 3d reduction and focus on 2d (perhaps this will also give the system a graphical boost)
  • Longer Battery
  • Two Analog Nubs, an add on will be sold for 10 dollars to old 3ds users to have two analog's as well
  • Select group of developers are working on the system
  • Supposed to come out next year
  • Nintendo is holding a conference around TGS that might unveil the redesign.

mexicangordo

Wow, that's funny I've been posting almost this exact thing, in regards to system name/redesign for quite awhile...

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
This rumor is silly. Do people really think even if the 3DS is a complete failure in Nintendos eyes (which it isn't), and they expect it to be the next virtual boy they will add an extra analogue stick and basically have a gimped Vita and expect to gain massive sales? Nintendo has done extensive research before the 3DS was launched and there is no way they would suddenly think pretty much as soon as it launched "wait a minute we need two analogue sticks if we want 100+ million sales!"... The 3DS was originally priced too high and Nintendo have now sorted that out, once the games start rolling out I'm sure everything will be fine.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mexicangordo

PoindeJ

We don't know what the "focus on 2d" means. I personally believe that it's just another way of saying stripping down the 3D aspect and focus more on graphic fidelity. But it will still have 3D features, its not like its removed completely.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
If they aren't changing WiiU's final controller, i have a feeling this will happen to it.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

How could they do this if it is a graphical boost and the original 3DS cant play the new games then there announcing a whole new system practically. Which frustrates me so much.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mexicangordo

This rumor is silly. Do people really think even if the 3DS is a complete failure in Nintendos eyes (which it isn't), and they expect it to be the next virtual boy they will add an extra analogue stick and basically have a gimped Vita and expect to gain massive sales? Nintendo has done extensive research before the 3DS was launched and there is no way they would suddenly think pretty much as soon as it launched "wait a minute we need two analogue sticks if we want 100+ million sales!"... The 3DS was originally priced too high and Nintendo have now sorted that out, once the games start rolling out I'm sure everything will be fine.APiranhaAteMyVa
Yea I agree to some extent. I do believe that the redesign aspect is true however, I seriously doubt it will come out next year.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#36 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
I think this rumor is full or *bleep*. This would be monumental fail on Nintendo's part. It's one thing to release new models with non-gaming improvements, but giving them added gaming functions is going to serious piss off early adopters, and not get much support either, worst of both worlds.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I find this hard to believe. Nintendo is basically admitting that the 3DS is a giant waste of money and they are basically coming out with a brand new model.

Not surprised though. 3D is a giant gimmick that is destined to fail. Nintendo just assumed casuals would eat any of their garbage up. I am expecting the WII U be in a similar situation. Never count on casuals. It is a gamble that is destined to screw you over.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
ill have to hold off with my purchase until next year then
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Demonjoe93

Pretty much what he said people. I wouldn't mind this change at all.

Yeah but did you two buy the system for 250$ or 170$ to know how frustrating this is?
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wolfetan

I find this hard to believe. Nintendo is basically admitting that the 3DS is a giant waste of money and they are basically coming out with a brand new model.

Fizzman
Exactly.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Hell, there's a reason why the original psp never got a second analog stick despite the cries for one.

It would've ended up alienating a large portion of their user base.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts
I'm calling Bull**** on this. They are already selling the 3DS at a loss, it would be suicide to release another 3DS now.
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
the technology is just not there and i personally do not care for gimmicks like kinect, wii motion, ps move, 3d and so on. just give me my controller and rpgs and shooters and sports games
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]This rumor is silly. Do people really think even if the 3DS is a complete failure in Nintendos eyes (which it isn't), and they expect it to be the next virtual boy they will add an extra analogue stick and basically have a gimped Vita and expect to gain massive sales? Nintendo has done extensive research before the 3DS was launched and there is no way they would suddenly think pretty much as soon as it launched "wait a minute we need two analogue sticks if we want 100+ million sales!"... The 3DS was originally priced too high and Nintendo have now sorted that out, once the games start rolling out I'm sure everything will be fine.mexicangordo

Yea I agree to some extent. I do believe that the redesign aspect is true however, I seriously doubt it will come out next year.

yeah I fully expect a redesign, but unlike the DS which was pretty dreadful, the 3DS is a well designed handheld, not far off the DS lite in quality in terms of design and build. I think a DS XL or similar will come but I just can't see the extreme changes this rumor proposes, as games will have to be designed with the original 3DS in mind, so it will have to work on both the touch screen and with the second analogue, which I doubt will be well supported.

Just look at the motion plus and wii fit, once you start splitting your audience potential sales of a game decrease and devs just aren't willing to do that anymore. The same reason I doubt we will ever see a major blockbuster game use the Kinect exclusively, when there are 100+ million gamers on the PC, PS3 and 360.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#45 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Two analog nubs according to this rumor? Looks like my criticism of the 3DS' lack of dual analogs was spot on. Mmm, delicious.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I don't mind a redesign, but don't take away my 3D. Rename it if you want, but I like the 3D on my 3DS. If you remove it, I just hope this doesn't mean 3D won't no longer be supported, or that the 3DS is not going to be viable anymore. I didn't buy this system just for the 3D, but I am one who really enjoys using the 3D on it.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

Hell, there's a reason why the original psp never got a second analog stick despite the cries for one.

It would've ended up alienating a large portion of their user base.

Shinobishyguy
Yeah, I don't see how you can add another analog stick into the system without making those who own the first generation 3DS viable to play. I still think the touch screen is just fine for camera movement. I wish games would learn that more often. I don't need buttons, just let me swivel my finger around to aim/move the camera.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

at this point this stuff is just considered rumors and I'm not sure if anything will happen but who knows?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Focus on 2D? That sounds weird. That's like saying it's going to focus on fitting in your hands.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Odds of selling my 3DS rising... at this point, whatever consumer confidence I had in the device is shaking significantly.