deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Ahhh, I was wondering when Rockstar would take a turn for the worse.

In what might be one of the most spectacularly shitty moves a company has made (remember, this is the industry with EA, Activision, and Ubisoft), Rockstar has essentially told its customer service personnel to hang up on callers or place them on indefinite hold- an issue, when people are getting their Rockstar accounts hacked, and their ability to play the game compromised.

Our most recent investigative consumer report set forth a goal to evaluate Rockstar Games' customer service phone and email support. The company has been under fire lately resultant of hacked GTA V social accounts, whereupon users have lost access to their GTA accounts (a $60 purchase) – and their ability to play the game – and have been placed on indefinite hold for a resolution. In the case of one reader who reached-out to us, we were informed that Rockstar customer support “hung up” on the reader, an action that we viewed as inexcusable if true.

After taking days to officially comment, Rockstar told Kotaku in a statement that its service had not been compromised. The company indicated that hacked accounts may have been exposed through lists previously obtained elsewhere; if some other site were hacked and the same account information had been used, that'd be the source of it, Rockstar said. Rockstar then urged its users to change passwords regardless.

Most instances of account theft begin with an email: “The email address for your account has been updated,” it reads, noting that emails will now be sent to the new address instead. Rockstar seeks no confirmation to initialize an email or account holder information update, allowing hackers to effortlessly obtain indefinite access to compromised accounts. Further, we've encountered what we believe to be session bugs; that is, it would appear that sessions remain active after account detail updates, making it difficult to truly evict a hacker. Some Rockstar user reports even indicate that hackers get involved in the support tickets, making claims of account sale or similar actions.

Speaking with a few of our readers, it was determined that some users have been waiting for account resolution for several days, with their Social logins hacked near the game's launch. Thousands of Google results are returned for “Rockstar account hacked” or “GTA V account hacked,” with dozens of first-page thread replies highlighting long wait times and uncertain courses of action. Following the immediate opening of support tickets, further correspondence proved limited to the rare email or, after begging on forums, a moderator's reply promising case escalation.

This leaves the phone line for support. Unfortunately, as we eventually learned, it is a path that unfailingly leads to the prompt and abrupt disconnection of the call. Most of us would call it “being hung up on.”

In calls made by GN staff to the Rockstar support team using real ticket identifiers for real hacked accounts, we ran the gamut through which any consumer would be forced. Listen to the above video for the full effect, but we'll recap it here.

On our first call, we provided the support ticket ID and only spoke when prompted with questions from Rockstar's somewhat incoherent staff member. After the account information was accessed, the representative stated what would become a familiar line:

“Your case has been logged for further review. Our understanding is that there is no further help that we can provide at this time and we will now end this call.”

I'd interrupted the representative, rapidly interjecting with a jumbled “wait, hang-on. Hang on. Don't hang up on me. Could you repeat --” and he was gone.

Call two: For parity and a sanity-check, because this may just have been one bad agent, I'd decided to emulate my approach. I read the ticket ID and only spoke when necessary, not taking my usual disarm-them-with-conversation approach employed elsewhere.

The same thing, though with less confidence: “Your case has been logged,” the agent stammered as I stifled a stressed laugh, “we will now end this call.” I interrupted him, attempting to ask something, and settled with “so you're going to hang up on me, too?”

Click. Gone.

Rockstar's customer service policy is to disconnect calls in any form that we explored, and as we eventually found out, it appears that this phone service exists purely as an “escalator:” Calls get pushed to email-only departments via “escalation,” then presumably resolved off the phone. Any request to speak with a supervisor is met with quick, unstoppable disconnects.

At one point, I called without the consumer guise and ticket IDs, explaining my editorial intentions. I asked to be connected with PR or a supervisor, to which the agent replied that she had to check. I was put on hold as she, quite obviously, checked with a supervisor. She told me that agents can't transfer calls to other agents and disconnected the call.

Ignoring Rockstar's unwillingness to act with haste on these urgent matters, the treatment of customers through direct communication channels – channels put in place by Rockstar – is inexcusable and insulting. Even EA Games, one of the most provocative names mentionable in the industry, is able to retrieve stolen accounts on a moment's notice using its Origin call center; I'd know, as I've had to retrieve stolen press and personal accounts using the phone systems. It took minutes and I was never once hung-up on.

The entire article may be read here on GamersNexus.

This is shockingly shitty and contemptuously insulting of the customer. I expected better from you, Rockstar.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

That really sucks. It's quite normal that customer sevices does this, though.

If I was interested in GTA5, i'd be pissed..

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Unfortunately this is why people pirate games.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Thanks to the power of the internet and the many gaming forums problems and treatment of customers wont go unnoticed for very long and through word of mouth R* will have bigger problems to deal with once this spreads.

I agree customers should be treated fairly and politely especially when they've spent money, thankfully this does not affect me since i dont play the game online but i do feel for those affected and treated badly.

R* you would be wise not to upset the many fans you have, you will ultimately be the loser not the consumer and this is from a lifetime fan.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Good thing I didn't buy GTA 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@CountBleck12: I need to understand why your sig is what it is.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

How rude of you Rockstar O_O

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CountBleck12
@charizard1605 said:

What's wrong with it? Is it how bad the Golden season was or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@CountBleck12 said:
@charizard1605 said:

What's wrong with it? Is it how bad the Golden season was or something?

Oh no. I was just trying to figure out why it's so random :P

Also I didn't know you were into Persona

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CountBleck12

@charizard1605 said:

Oh no. I was just trying to figure out why it's so random :P

Also I didn't know you were into Persona

Well yeah it is lol. Dojima's my favorite character in the series.

I finally got Persona 4 recently on the PS3 and I got hooked on it, I actually watched the original anime first so that's what made me want to purchase the game. I should have played this game wayyyy earlier, it's great and I'm 15 hours in. =P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

That's what you get for hiring Lady Gaga, Rockstar.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

That's what you get for hiring Lady Gaga, Rockstar.

Rockstar hired Lady gaga? for what?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Rockstar don't care and they shouldn't care. There's millions more people who will gladly pay for their stuff. They just need to add a 'as is' clause and a 'not liable' clause in their user agreement and they can tell everyone to sort it themselves.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Wow that is pretty shitty of them considering they should easily have the resources to sort any of these out.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Wow... Way to act like dicks R*.

So not only do they not offer solutoons for the hacked accounts, they don't even deal with them at all. Wow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@bunchanumbers: What a shitty way to think about customer relations.

The Internet can and will turn this into a PR nightmare, which won't end positively for Rockstar in any way. If I wasn't already not a fan of GTAV, I would refuse to buy another rockstar game just on principle.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Rockstars all about dat milk money now

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchanumbers

@darkspineslayer: But you are a fan. Many people will say the same thing as you and will still line up and buy it. Its been proven by the million copies of GTA on PC sold. Even if you are outraged its still not stopping you from buying it. And if R* releases some sort of statement to appease these outraged people, they will line up and buy it again.

So if you're going to buy it anyway, just like everyone else, then what does Rockstar have to worry about? Nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@bunchanumbers: Whatever gave you the idea I was a fan? I said I wasn't a fan of GTAV. first, and now last, rockstar game was the PS3 version. Terribly boring game. Before this, I might have given them the benefit of the doubt and bought another game they were involved with. Now I'm not touching anything they come within 100 feet of.

Your circular reasoning dosn't really defeat the fact that it's a shitty view of customer relations, and honestly I think you're underestimating how fickle customers can be.

Drops in ocean can easily become waves. treat your customers with such giggling contempt as seen in this thread, you'll start losing more and more.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bunchanumbers

@darkspineslayer said:

@bunchanumbers: Whatever gave you the idea I was a fan? I said I wasn't a fan of GTAV. first, and now last, rockstar game was the PS3 version. Terribly boring game. Before this, I might have given them the benefit of the doubt and bought another game they were involved with. Now I'm not touching anything they come within 100 feet of.

Your circular reasoning dosn't really defeat the fact that it's a shitty view of customer relations, and honestly I think you're underestimating how fickle customers can be.

Drops in ocean can easily become waves. treat your customers with such giggling contempt as seen in this thread, you'll start losing more and more.

I'm not so sure. All Rockstar has to do is announce a new game and just like that people will be on board. You'll hear things like "Well their customer service hasn't affected ME' and "It sucks for those guys affected by this. But I will still buy this"

People will act all riled up out of some sort of sense of sympathy or obligation, but if they are not affected by the issue, they won't really be up in arms about it. All it will take for someone to forget this is some big announcement or some other big disastrous announcement. This news will be back page and forgotten about before E3 and I'm sure that Rockstar knows this. Its just how things are these days.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@darkspineslayer said:

I'm not so sure. All Rockstar has to do is announce a new game and just like that people will be on board. You'll hear things like "Well their customer service hasn't affected ME' and "It sucks for those guys affected by this. But I will still buy this"

People will act all riled up out of some sort of sense of sympathy or obligation, but if they are not affected by the issue, they won't really be up in arms about it. All it will take for someone to forget this is some big announcement or some other big disastrous announcement. This news will be back page and forgotten about before E3 and I'm sure that Rockstar knows this. Its just how things are these days.

I think you underestimate the power of the internet and the numerous forums out there, sure there will be a number of folk that will forget this by tomorrow but there are ALOT more that wont and negative press doesnt easily die down especially when folk have money invested in whatever it is.

As i said before R* would be very wise not to cross their fans and bite the hand that feeds them.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 inb4uall

@darkspineslayer said:

@bunchanumbers: What a shitty way to think about customer relations.

The Internet can and will turn this into a PR nightmare, which won't end positively for Rockstar in any way. If I wasn't already not a fan of GTAV, I would refuse to buy another rockstar game just on principle.

Heh principles. That's funny. :P

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@l34052 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@darkspineslayer said:

I think you underestimate the power of the internet and the numerous forums out there, sure there will be a number of folk that will forget this by tomorrow but there are ALOT more that wont and negative press doesnt easily die down especially when folk have money invested in whatever it is.

As i said before R* would be very wise not to cross their fans and bite the hand that feeds them.

A very large portion of their customers won't even know that this is occurring. If I didn't come on this forum I would have never heard mention of it. Also, gamers for the most part swallow whatever these companies give them, regardless of if they **** them over.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bunchanumbers

@soulitane said:

@l34052 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@darkspineslayer said:

A very large portion of their customers won't even know that this is occurring. If I didn't come on this forum I would have never heard mention of it. Also, gamers for the most part swallow whatever these companies give them, regardless of if they **** them over.

Exactly. I never heard of this before this forum post. And I doubt I ever would have heard of it otherwise. There are millions and millions more people who haven't heard of it and will most likely never hear of it.

Internet rage is great and all, but GTA and Rockstar have been a cultural phenomenon for a while now and don't need the endorsement of internet people. They are above it all and have been since GTA3. This will most likely not affect their bottom dollar. Some lip service statement saying they are working to fix their customer service and they can go back to business as usual and go back to hanging up on people.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#25  Edited By 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Rockstar has got a bit too successful for their own good at this point, the way I see it. They make amazing games, sure, but I don't know... You'd think a company with this much money would be able to pay people who are actually able to speak to handle their customer services. This is really, really embarrassing, the way I see it.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

The customer service thing is really not unique to Rockstar. Who really expects to call a video game developer these days and have them walk you through customer service problems on the phone? Video game developers probably shouldn't even bother have telephone service. It should all be handled through email/helpdesk type forum where you get a ticket to track your issue.

Now if they are indigent about the actual problem, and there are hordes of people out of their $60 that is messed up.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#27 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Really Rockstar? Last I checked, you're usually better than ActiEAUbi and you have as much influence in the industry as all of them (well, EA has a lot more). What were you thinking?

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Very shady. I don't understand how behavior like this is acceptable by a major corporation. You have to be held accountable for what you sell.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I honestly don't understand the hype for this company.

And I'm not just talking about this incident.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

all that money they got from pc gamers then they shut down all support for the game a week after launch where there piggy bank was full

pc gamers should be ashamed of this disgusting company, if you have problem with the game you call support wait 30 mins then they hang up on you during the process when you try to get a refund or whatever

amazing just amazing

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

If I had GamerNexus on the line I'd probably hang up too.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#32 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

That's a shitty move right there. But then again, they may have been working on a solution and must be receiving a lot of calls asking for the exact same thing.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I could understand if the person on the line was being a dick (happens pretty often), but if they're respectful they should not be hung up on at all.

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

Rockstar, come on! You are better than this!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well now they'll have to make RDR2 so we all forgive them...or just give people millions in virtual money

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Probably with the influx of those PC gamers.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Wow Rockstar is almost as bad as Comcast.

Gamer_Durandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38  Edited By Gamer_Durandal
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

It seems someone noticed... Rockstar contacted GamersNexus and there has been some developments since the original story was put out there.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@inb4uall: Hmm. No it isn't. People pirate games because that means they don't have to pay for them.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DocSanchez

@nini200: They make great, generation defining games that people in their millions love?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@nini200: They make great, generation defining games that people in their millions love?

GTA, RDR, uh what else?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DocSanchez

@nini200: GTA, wildly popular, wildly brilliant, best at what it does, funny, rich, made with a lot of TLC. RDR, beautiful, rich, well written, well made, stunning.

You seem to be confused. This is what Rockstar does, it's what people praise them for. You're confused why people hype them so much. That. That's why they hype them so much. They make GTA and RDR, comfortably two of my favourite last gen games. It's these types of games I buy my console for in the first place.

They are also responsible for minor hits like Max Paine, Midnight Club and the excellent LA Noire.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Wait a minute.

People think GTA is well written? lol.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inb4uall

@DocSanchez said:

@inb4uall: Hmm. No it isn't. People pirate games because that means they don't have to pay for them.

If you make it harder to do it right then do it wrong then people will do it wrong.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Descend from the throne.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Just curious, how does the Rockstar social account being hacked make people lose their game if they're buying the games on digital services like Steam or whatever it's releasing on?

Anyhow, is there any really any legitimate purpose of these social clubs?

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CountBleck12

@Seabas989 said:

Wait a minute.

People think GTA is well written? lol.

Yes.