Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9571 Posts

@ahrequenomori said:

Whoever thinks that reviewers get paid to give high scores is freaking dumb. No offence. It's always the easy way out so as not to admit that a game is actually good.

Do sites related to Xbox, PS or Nintendo tend to score their respective console's games higher than the average? Definitely. Does it really affect the aggregation? No. Game is great, but probably not a 10. Lems are still trying to damage control this by talking about price and paid reviews. That's pretty much it.

I see what you're saying about damage control, but there's a thing about the bolded:

Some 'journalists' actually do get paid to make better reviews, or at the very least pressured to. Without firsthand evidence, you can logically conclude so. It's not very difficult to conceive of this being in the interests of major corporations, especially ones like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. If they can conceive of it, they *will* do it. Just look at the fake comments internet service providers paid for against net neutrality for example. Or look at how Nvidia treated certain reviewers who concluded that RX 6000 Radeon GPUs are better at rasterization than the new 30 series GPUs from their own tests.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8480 Posts

@ahrequenomori said:

Whoever thinks that reviewers get paid to give high scores is freaking dumb. No offence. It's always the easy way out so as not to admit that a game is actually good.

Do sites related to Xbox, PS or Nintendo tend to score their respective console's games higher than the average? Definitely. Does it really affect the aggregation? No. Game is great, but probably not a 10. Lems are still trying to damage control this by talking about price and paid reviews. That's pretty much it.

Reviewers don't get paid in the sense of bribery for good reviews, but critics do get paid because it is their job as journalists. I'm a little surprised if people did not know this one already.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#53  Edited By AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@jaydan said:
@ahrequenomori said:

Reviewers don't get paid in the sense of bribery for good reviews, but critics do get paid because it is their job as journalists. I'm a little surprised if people did not know this one already.

Getting paid to give a high score and getting paid to just review a game however you see fit are not the same. Maybe I should have said "bribed"? I think I was clear.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By AhReQueNoMori
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@ahrequenomori said:

I see what you're saying about damage control, but there's a thing about the bolded:

Some 'journalists' actually do get paid to make better reviews, or at the very least pressured to. Without firsthand evidence, you can logically conclude so. It's not very difficult to conceive of this being in the interests of major corporations, especially ones like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. If they can conceive of it, they *will* do it. Just look at the fake comments internet service providers paid for against net neutrality for example. Or look at how Nvidia treated certain reviewers who concluded that RX 6000 Radeon GPUs are better at rasterization than the new 30 series GPUs from their own tests.

Sure, and I'm also sure that at some point someone out there tried to bribe a reviewer and we never found out about it, but people on these forums are actually claiming that some games have a high metacritic score because reviewerS - not just one - are bribed and that it somehow changes the score significantly. Not only it wouldn't and it would look extremely suspicious, but also something like this would eventually come to light and the repercussions would be severe, especially in the case of big publishers like Sony or MS. But hey, "lems".

No one would risk their whole image and integrity in such a way just to get an extra 0.5 in a single game, and it would be very easy for the competition to sink whoever did this. Lems are truly a special breed, although I would say that people would do the same if MS games got high scores. That rarely happens though, hence the hate.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

returnal is nearly as popular as ‘the medium’ on SW

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34797 Posts

Sony fans have sadly rejected all their good shit in the past, so it's nice to see that Housemarque gets the sales they deserve.

Very not nice that games sell well with a pricetag of 70 bucks. **** that price.

@ahrequenomori said:

Not really. Back in the day, GameSpot wrote good reviews reflecting the games they played very well. Then one game came along, heavily advertised on this site. I think the game got a 6/10 here, so GameSpot fired the reviewer as the ad money they received from the publisher was threatened.

Who in the living **** can trust reviews after that? That's proof right there how things work in the world of game journalism.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9840 Posts

@Litchie: Housemarque are not getting the sales their games deserve. Resogun was one of my favourite PS4 games, and Returnal looks equally good. By all accounts though sales have been very disappointing - tumbling down to 15th place after one week with an 84% drop in sales. Deserves better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
deactivated-60cb3701bc83b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 deactivated-60cb3701bc83b
Member since 2018 • 501 Posts

Wait, people here don't believe that reviewers get paid for higher scores?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X

@ahrequenomori: it quite obviously didn't happen with Returnal, and pretty much everyone here complaining is just butthurt, but it does happen. That's my point.

It's not about risking image. They're fairly obvious moves when they happen.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By AhReQueNoMori

@joebones5000: @Litchie: @iamdavey:

PLEASE, what happened to Jeff while he was working at gamespot has been talked to death. If this happened with every game on every site then we would hear MANY stories like this one, and yet don't. Like I said, I'm sure something similar happened in the past in some other website and we never found out about it, but to think this is a daily thing and no one talks about it is completely idiotic. You don't have to be so salty and try to damage control all the time. Sony games get good scores because they are good, and when they are not as good they don't get a good score. Days Gone, Knack and The Order come to mind.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Poo TC...

Lol :P

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jaydan

@ahrequenomori: People bring up Jeff because that's evidence that bribery has happened and MAY happen.

But you know, that whole thing that happened with Jeff and this infamous chapter in Gamespot's timeline, happened a long ass time ago now, over a decade+ ago at least. I'm pretty certain that shook up Gamespot for its time with the backlash this site received, and I'm pretty sure since then Gamespot has updated their integrity policies and standards for editorial and reviews since that happened.

That's the thing about these editorial platforms: they CHANGE and adapt to the face of their own scandals. It's no different than when a reviewer at IGN gets caught plagiarizing (something they've been caught doing). IGN as a company is not just going to sit there and allow their journalists and editorial staff to just plagiarize from other sources. IGN is going to update their own policies and integrity standards to make sure events like that don't happen again. It does not mean scandals can't ever happen again, but companies do further raise their safeguards during these events to best prevent them from happening.

There was another user shortly before you that inclined that they didn't believe actual critics are getting paid, so that's kinda where I was coming from being "a bit surprised" if people didn't realize it by now that critics do reviews because it's their paid job. You kinda came in right at that moment, association by how close in time another user didn't seem to realize yes they're paid critics.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56530 Posts

@Litchie said:

Sony fans have sadly rejected all their good shit in the past, so it's nice to see that Housemarque gets the sales they deserve.

Very not nice that games sell well with a pricetag of 70 bucks. **** that price.

@ahrequenomori said:

Not really. Back in the day, GameSpot wrote good reviews reflecting the games they played very well. Then one game came along, heavily advertised on this site. I think the game got a 6/10 here, so GameSpot fired the reviewer as the ad money they received from the publisher was threatened.

Who in the living **** can trust reviews after that? That's proof right there how things work in the world of game journalism.

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how little money actually changes hands on the review circuit, *especially* after the Gamespot/Kane & Lynch review fiasco.

This is exactly the same as it always has been. Popular games have a lot of fans, and the venn diagram of those fans versus those who do reviews has decent overlap. As such, a lot of the reviews are going to be positive. (and it's their opinion, lets remember) It's those favorable reviews that are then featured on the game box and advertisements. This also might come as a shock to you but there are people who really like the CoD games. If a reviewer happens to like that game a lot, they give it a good score. Reviewers don't take your own personal opinion into factor, never have/will.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8927 Posts

@jaydan said:

And @NathanDrakeSwag: has two Returnal threads on the first page here. I feel like somebody needs to tone it down a bit.

Like I said to you yesterday, you only ever regurgitate the same nonsense over and over again.

If you come up with original content, you might come off less like a spammer.

He still hasn't responded to my request to provide the links that say Returnal is "selling like hotcakes".

And yes, the little guy is flooding SW with Returnal posts.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jaydan

@dabear said:
@jaydan said:

And @NathanDrakeSwag: has two Returnal threads on the first page here. I feel like somebody needs to tone it down a bit.

Like I said to you yesterday, you only ever regurgitate the same nonsense over and over again.

If you come up with original content, you might come off less like a spammer.

He still hasn't responded to my request to provide the links that say Returnal is "selling like hotcakes".

And yes, the little guy is flooding SW with Returnal posts.

NathanDrakeShill goes further and he spams in threads the same regurgitated crap he only ever posts. He's incapable of original thoughts and incapable of engaging in proper debate. That's why he never followed up on your request, he simply does not have that kind of skill to followup on people that question his shitposting habits.

I see this clown hopping in threads that have absolutely nothing to do with Xbox, for example, and no matter what arguments people will be having, NathanDrakeShill does this:

The guy is truly obsessed with talking about Xbox, so much that he brings the Xbox discussion into every thread.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
Loading Video...

What a huge success this game is. Housemarque must be overwhelmed with happiness right now.

LMFAO

Accolades trailer is about as corny as when a faceless announcer tells me Grown Ups 3 is the "Funniest movie in America."

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@mtron32 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
Loading Video...

What a huge success this game is. Housemarque must be overwhelmed with happiness right now.

LMFAO

Accolades trailer is about as corny as when a faceless announcer tells me Grown Ups 3 is the "Funniest movie in America."

Wow your obtuse accolades trailers are my favorite NUKE EM WOOOHOOO #1 movie in america! Real people love accolade trailers. THere my favorite btw!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Reviewers say its AMAZING WITH EPIC MUSIC PLAYING why don't you like these trailers bro whats wrong with you? Its the number 1 product in america!

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4737 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Congratulations to Housemarque on their amazing talents and success. Hopefully helps sony to invest more on diversity of genres.

This. Very excited to see Sony investing in something this high quality while also being different from what you would expect from them. Now we could get them to bring back some Wild Arms, or some Legend of Dragoon, THAT would be something!

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It looks like I have a big fan in this thread 😊

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jaydan

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

You can at least tag the person you're referring to so people know who you're talking about. You can't spell COWARD without COW. 😉

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 X_CAPCOM_X

@jaydan said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

You can at least tag the person you're referring to so people know who you're talking about. You can't spell COWARD without COW. 😉

cringe

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44666 Posts

@jaydan: Brilliant meme and so very spot on. 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#75 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70598 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@jaydan: Brilliant meme and so very spot on. 😂

That is just a cowincidence. 😎

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jaydan

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@jaydan said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

cringe

Only possible reason why you could cringe over that is because you really do get offended when people are critical over plastic boxes and anti-consumer practices, and the comedy of watching anti-consumer shills jump through hoops, Mr. "Screw the haters" when others don't share your views.

For the rest of Gamespot, it's quite the gas.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 NathanDrakeSwag

Dude picked a fight with me, now he's going off on other users for calling his trolling cringe 🤣😂

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jaydan

@NathanDrakeSwag: Still can't tag the one in question, you afraid or something:(((

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Archangel3371

@Pedro: 🤣🤣🤣

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 NathanDrakeSwag

Cringe 😏

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 jaydan

@Pedro: @Archangel3371: I'm just not going to tag him anymore when I talk about him. I just hope he doesn't see this and respond.

Oh God that would be horrifying. Please guys, help me take cover.

All I was trying to say is you cringe when you have nothing left to deliver.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Pedro

@jaydan:If you do that he will start creating gifs dedicated to you. I don't like others stealing my attention. 😋

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Archangel3371

@jaydan: Too late! He’s right behind you! Run! 😱

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 jaydan

@Pedro: Is he reading this right now? God I hope not. I don't think he's capable of making a meme without Xbox, and since I'm not an Xbox gamer, I just don't know how he will process without it and I'm afraid I'm gonna get owned over falsehoods.

I'm afraid, Pedro, very afraid!

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jaydan

@Archangel3371 said:

@jaydan: Too late! He’s right behind you! Run! 😱

Oh my God, I'll be running for the mountains, I'm so owned at this rate!!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Archangel3371

@jaydan: 🤣🤣🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Pedro

Y'all are silly. 😂

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jaydan

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 NathanDrakeSwag

The NathanDrakeSwag fan club^

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Amazing game.......a masterpiece for the PS5.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39906 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

Incredible game indeed. For those who might've forgotten, its a 9/10 here, which is considered as SUPERB.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@AtariKidX said:

Incredible game indeed. For those who might've forgotten, its a 9/10 here, which is considered as SUPERB.

Agreed. Any game that Gamespot gives a 9/10 to is SUPERB. Would be foolish to argue otherwise.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hardwenzen  Online

@gym_lion said:
@hardwenzen said:
@AtariKidX said:

Agreed. Any game that Gamespot gives a 9/10 to is SUPERB. Would be foolish to argue otherwise.

AGREED... except one. The Medium 🤢. I heard GS was hacked that day, so this might've been the actual reason why it got anything over a 6.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@gym_lion said:
@hardwenzen said:
@AtariKidX said:

AGREED... except one. The Medium 🤢. I heard GS was hacked that day, so this might've been the actual reason why it got anything over a 6.

Although not having played either The Medium or Returnal neither of us can say for sure.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 hardwenzen  Online

@gym_lion said:
@hardwenzen said:
@gym_lion said:
@hardwenzen said:
@AtariKidX said:

Although not having played either The Medium or Returnal neither of us can say for sure.

We both saw The Medium gameplay. Its bad, real bad.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12393 Posts

My friends have really enjoyed it but, I don't think it's my cup of tea.

I might eventually bite once it goes down to like $30-40.