Retro thread: L.A. Noire vs Heavy Rain - which was better?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Retro thread: L.A. Noire vs Heavy Rain - which was better? (47 votes)

L.A. Noire 68%
Heavy Rain 32%

I definitely would take L.A. Noire over Heavy Rain. I just don't like David Cage's dialogue at all. L.A. Noire really had the writing down and the presentation was also better. But Heavy Rain did have it's moments though. How about you, SW?

• 
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I enjoyed both, but L.A Noire was amazing.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I haven't beaten either of these games, but from what I've played I enjoyed L.A. Noire much more. The setting, atmosphere, dialogue, and voice acting combine to really immerse you in post-war Los Angeles.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

That one scene in Heavy Rain..... if you have played it then you know what I'm talking about.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I haven't played either.

Just not my type of games.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Heavy Rain for me and I am not even a huge fan of the game. I did not think LA Noire was good at all.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Never beat LA Noire and only watched my brother finishing Heavy Rain(it felt like a movie lol) but the former is definitely more my kind of game.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I enjoyed both but Heavy Rain was special.

My wife watched me play the entire game and she never does that. There are moments from that game that are still with me.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

both were pretty lame but heavy rain was the worse of the two.

as shitty as the gameplay was in l.a. noir even it was not so shitty as to include a 12 button and d-stick combo to use an asthma inhaler.

and then when i messed it up on purpose to see what it did, nothing happened.

the guy just leaned against the wall and panted.

when you include un-fail-able gameplay is it even a game anymore?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I finished LA Noire. Couldn't finish Heavy Rain.

I might get back to Heavy Rain. Pressing R2, Square, Circle, R1 at the same time, isn't exactly appealing to me.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clyde46

@chikenfriedrice said:

My wife watched me play the entire game and she never does that. There are moments from that game that are still with me.

That part with the finger.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

LA Noire is probably the better game.

Heavy Rain is way more memorable and I liked it more.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I enjoyed both quite a bit, but LA Noire is more of a "game" than Heavy Rain in the traditional sense. Between the two, I felt more involved in the storytelling with Heavy Rain and I would say that it's "more different" than LA Noire was. LA Noire was cool, but it was basically a point and click adventure game disguised as a GTA clone. Instead of clicking on everything you see on the screen, you walk around and pick up every little trinket. The interrogation bit was kind of neat, but it was too uneven and some of the dialog choices really didn't fit the story. Also, the extremely linear story was a bit offputting in a game where you play as a detective. Heavy Rain moved you from setpiece to setpiece with little control, but your actions in those setpieces really had an impact on the story and outcome. Half the fun of the game was talking to other people to see just how incredibly different the story could play out.

In the end, LA Noire was neat but it didn't really do that much new. Heavy Rain (while not for everyone) felt significantly different from anything that had come before it (except maybe for Indigo Prophecy).

-Byshop

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

neither. both are equally garbage

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

neither. both are equally garbage

This. I prefer my games to have gameplay.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

HR is shite.

L.A. Noire is boring but with impressive facial performances

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Neither game was better.

They were both grade A doo-doo butter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Retro? lolwut? The games dont even have 5 years...

anyways, L.A. Noire definitely. Great atmosphere. Too bad it becomes boring after Homicide but until then it was just marvellous and a breath of fresh air. Very underrated game

HR is meh. Definitely had more "gameplay" than The Walking Dead (what an overrated POS, why people praise this and bash on HR and Beyond when its just as average as these two I just cant understand) but I just cant stand QTE games...

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Jason? JASON?!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The only thing L.A. Noire had down was the period piece.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

APPLES & ORANGES.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@clyde46 said:

That one scene in Heavy Rain..... if you have played it then you know what I'm talking about.

in the motel?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

**** all of you. Heavy Rain was a great game, despite some goofy voice acting. I just loved how if you screw up, the characters can die. That's excellent.

I enjoyed LA Noire as well, but after the Homicide Desk, that game goes downhill very very fast.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Heavy Rain was great, but so was L.A. Noire.

Heavy Rain was probably better for one playthrough, but L.A. Noir offered more if you didn't find it boring to rack up all the side-quests/crimes and collectibles. My only knock against Heavy Rain, was it had almost a total lack of replayability after you messed with the different outcomes.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Vatusus said:

anyways, L.A. Noire definitely. Great atmosphere. Too bad it becomes boring after Homicide but until then it was just marvellous and a breath of fresh air. Very underrated game

HR is meh. Definitely had more "gameplay" than The Walking Dead (what an overrated POS, why people praise this and bash on HR and Beyond when its just as average as these two I just cant understand) but I just cant stand QTE games...

Walking Dead is overrated only in the sense that some considered it an actual "game of the year", it's still a rather traditional point and click style game - so I would have a hard time giving it "Game of the Year" level of praise. Still, it was pretty damn great for a point and click game. Heavy Rain was even better, because while it had all sorts of QTE's, it's pacing and control was far more sophisticated than any "point and click". Both of these games really move the needle for narrative and cinematic pacing in video games IMO.

"Gameplay" is overrated if people are bashing these types of games, and then turning around and playing rubbish like Halo or Call of Duty, which has the same old copy/paste gameplay, and truly horrendous plots presented in the form of incongruous cut-scenes. .

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46

@blamix99 said:

@clyde46 said:

in the motel?

No.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@blamix99 said:

@clyde46 said:

in the motel?

No.

i thought you meant the one where you bang that HOT chick

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Heavy Rain wins for me, the story gripped me and it was really well done, even if the gameplay sometimes took a back seat.

L.A Noire I got bored with in about an hour and couldn't bring myself to play anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I didn't enjoy any of them.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

I enjoyed LA Noire more, one of my favorite games of last gen.

Heavy Rain had an amazing story, and I did really like it, but LA Noire just managed to nail the 40's atmosphere and characters. Really interesting story and I have to give credit to Team Bondi because it mustn't be easy making a detective game.

TB are working on Whore of the Orient now right?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Didn't like both of them . Heavy Rain is way too much "movie like", while LA Noire bored me to death with its repetitive mission design . I rather play a decent point and click adventure .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@2Chalupas said:

@Vatusus said:

Walking Dead is overrated only in the sense that some considered it an actual "game of the year", it's still a rather traditional point and click style game - so I would have a hard time giving it "Game of the Year" level of praise. Still, it was pretty damn great for a point and click game. Heavy Rain was even better, because while it had all sorts of QTE's, it's pacing and control was far more sophisticated than any "point and click". Both of these games really move the needle for narrative and cinematic pacing in video games IMO.

"Gameplay" is overrated if people are bashing these types of games, and then turning around and playing rubbish like Halo or Call of Duty, which has the same old copy/paste gameplay, and truly horrendous plots presented in the form of incongruous cut-scenes. .

The Walking Dead is not a good "point and click game" . It has no puzzles . You just click to trigger a cutscene . After playing lot of games , I play these games to take a break and experience storyline and really enjoy them for short period, but can't play them for more than 1-2 hours .

After 2 hours it bores me to death , because it makes you wait until lengthy conversation ends and then you click to trigger a new lengthy cutscene . I don't mind cinematic games but at least there should be some kind of challenge.

I'm not saying that it should be like BattleToads but there should be some time to control your character,go to different areas, experiment with different items you picked along the way etc . AT LEAST , something like Broken Age . Much better if its like Broken Sword or Monkey Island .

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

LA noire was really fantastic, for what it was. It did get repetitive, and long, but I still enjoyed it. You need a certain level of tenacity and prolonged interest to actually beat LA Noire.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I hate the protagonists character in LA Noire...he's just an over serious jerk. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain while Noire started to feel repetitive very quickly. Ask, search, shoot, chase, rinse and repeat. However it had a ton of potential and I like going from case to case like that. I have mixed feelings about the tempo of the gameplay however.

That said I do hope Rockstar makes a sequel, preferably with a better protagonist. Obviously a Heavy Rain sequel will never happen just as Omikron 2 never did. That company is just like that I guess but then again Rockstar has never been much into sequels outside of milking GTA.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

That part with the finger.

Bingo

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Won't this thread Die already !

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

LA Noire was crap. The story was crap, the writing in the story was crap, and the gameplay mechanics were mediocre. I'm probably the only person in this thread that was at LA Noire's midnight launch :p

Heavy Rain is pretty crappy, but it has tons of awesome cheese moments, and it was always entertaining (unlike LA Noire), so it wins for me.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

they were both boring as hell and sucked just as hard

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#39 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I perferred Heavy Rain

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I was impressed with the Mall and nightclub scenes in Heavy Rain, rendering such crowded areas and having to push your way through them. Not many games do that, many feel rather lifeless by comparison.