Retailers desperate to get rid of 360 stock???

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

Looks as though the Xbox 360 isn't blowing away the other 2 next-gen consoles in sales. Retailers like Best Buy have not only started to give away a free game with the purchase of an Xbox 360, you also get a 20 dollar gift card along with it! I can understand them giving away an older game with an Xbox 360 to get rid of stock of certain older games but why do they feel the need to also throw in a 20 dollar gift card? What's next? A free HD DVD player? Could happen in the next couple of months if Blu-ray wins the next-gen format war. All in all, retailers like Best Buy seem pretty desperate to get rid of excess 360 stock to me. Lemmings, flame me for telling the possible truth! I yearn for it!

Btw, I'm sure at least some of you will claim to be masters of marketing and will also tell me that they're giving away free games and a 20 dollar gift card because the 360 is selling so well that they want customers to purchase a 360 at their store instead of another. LoL!

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts
Don't buy the ones that give you a free game. I tried to return my 360 after seeing a better deal from a different place, and we went through so much trouble with it. Took about 4 days to get Circuit City to own up and refund my money.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaddyDC650
Don't buy the ones that give you a free game. I tried to return my 360 after seeing a better deal from a different place, and we went through so much trouble with it. Took about 4 days to get Circuit City to own up and refund my money.nyoroism
That does blow. I'm sure they tried everything to make you keep the system correct? Sad.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
My Costco and Sams Club are trying to sale me games and controllers bundled with the PS3. Oh no! The PS3 must not be selling.
vistamanV5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vistamanV5
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts
Someone doesnt understand how retailers work, when a products is selling well the bundle something free with so you come to there store and buy it. Xbox 360 is readily available to keep people buying it from there store they give you something free...
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BioShockOwnz
Also I got Ratchet & Clank free and a $10 Gift Certificate at Best Buy free with my slimline silver PS2. I guess they weren't selling!?:P
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts

Looks as though the Xbox 360 isn't selling as well as the other 2 next-gen consoles. Retailers like Best Buy have not only started to give away a free game with the purchase of an Xbox 360, you also get a 20 dollar gift card along with it! I can understand them giving away an older game with an Xbox 360 to get rid of stock of certain older games but why do they feel the need to also throw in a 20 dollar gift card? What's next? A free HD DVD player? Could happen in the next couple of months if Blu-ray wins the next-gen format war. All in all, retailers like Best Buy seem pretty desperate to get rid of excess 360 stock to me. Lemmings, flame me for telling the possible truth! I yearn for it!

Btw, I'm sure at least some of you will claim to be masters of marketing and will also tell me that they're giving away free games and a 20 dollar gift card because the 360 is selling so well that they want customers to purchase a 360 at their store instead of another. LoL!

DaddyDC650
You do Realise that the ps3 isnt as selling as well as 360 in Na?
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaddyDC650
My Costco and Sams Club are trying to sale me games and controllers bundled with the PS3. Oh no! The PS3 must not be selling.BioShockOwnz
They do that with every system that they've sold. You also have to pay above retail for those bundles so you're not really getting the extra games for free. Just at a discount. Nice try but no.
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
And as a side note if you do follow the news you would know that ALL 3 systems are selling decently in NA at this point considering we are in the 1st quarter of the year when it is slower and consumers spend less. If they weren't they would have posted sales of less than 100,000 units within the 5 week time frame sales were recorded.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts
Someone doesnt understand how retailers work, when a products is selling well the bundle something free with so you come to there store and buy it. Xbox 360 is readily available to keep people buying it from there store they give you something free... vistamanV5

Adding a game gives you incentive to purchase the game from THAT store. This is not some new phenomenon.
air0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 air0123
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts
you realise that when you see a system on the store floor, MS has already made there money, becasue the store it is selling at has already bought the system.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Consoles sold this month

Wiis sold = 450k

360s sold = 300k

PS3s sold = 250k

The 360 is up quite a bit from last year.

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nyoroism

[QUOTE="nyoroism"]Don't buy the ones that give you a free game. I tried to return my 360 after seeing a better deal from a different place, and we went through so much trouble with it. Took about 4 days to get Circuit City to own up and refund my money.DaddyDC650
That does blow. I'm sure they tried everything to make you keep the system correct?

Other way around. I bought an XBOX 360 for 399.99 with a free (note: the advertisement said 400 dollar XBOX and FREE game) copy of Burnout Revenge. They ring up the XBOX 360 as 370.00 and Burnout Revenge as 29.99. It seemed like a standard procedure at the time. Roll in to a few days later, Toys R' Us has an XBOX 360 with free 100 dollar Gift Card. I take my XBOX back up to Circuit City to return the XBOX. I showed 'em the receipt and the Toys R' Us advertisement, and they said "Oh, you'll need to return the game, too". Fine by me, I go back to get the game.

I come back to Circuit City later that day after purchasing the XBOX 360 from Toys R' Us. The very same person I spoke to earlier told me "We don't match Gift Cards". ****ing great. So now I can return the XBOX 360, surely. Oh yes, they'll do that, but they won't accept the game because it's already open, and they'll only give me 370 dollars for the XBOX 360. I can only trade in the game for another game of the same name. So basically I was in the black 70 bucks, but they should have given me a refund because they told me before I went and got the game they would do it. I showed 'em the damned advertisement and they said "ok".

da_real_deal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 da_real_deal
Member since 2006 • 2182 Posts
maybe the companies are just looking to beat their respective dealers by offering more??...and selling unwanted stock doesnt hurt lol
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
Yes, we all know retailers bundling a free game with a system means it's desperate to get rid of them. :roll:
DJjoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJjoey
Member since 2004 • 1160 Posts

Looks as though the Xbox 360 isn't selling as well as the other 2 next-gen consoles. Retailers like Best Buy have not only started to give away a free game with the purchase of an Xbox 360, you also get a 20 dollar gift card along with it! I can understand them giving away an older game with an Xbox 360 to get rid of stock of certain older games but why do they feel the need to also throw in a 20 dollar gift card? What's next? A free HD DVD player? Could happen in the next couple of months if Blu-ray wins the next-gen format war. All in all, retailers like Best Buy seem pretty desperate to get rid of excess 360 stock to me. Lemmings, flame me for telling the possible truth! I yearn for it!

DaddyDC650
Or MAYBE, just maybe, its because the 360 has been out a year longer! and now they have created bundles instead of drastically lowering the price, to get even MORE 360 users who can buy games from them.
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

Don't buy the ones that give you a free game. I tried to return my 360 after seeing a better deal from a different place, and we went through so much trouble with it. Took about 4 days to get Circuit City to own up and refund my money.nyoroism

Official sales numbers show that they're selling fine.

Voryn_Dagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Voryn_Dagoth
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
The 360 is selling more than the PS3 in NA /Thread.
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theboxmike
The 360 is selling more than the PS3 in NA /Thread.Voryn_Dagoth
bahaaaa yepp you sure owned us with /Thread and no facts what so ever:lol:
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]

DJjoey
Or MAYBE, just maybe, its because the 360 has been out a year longer! and now they have created bundles instead of drastically lowering the price, to get even MORE 360 users who can buy games from them.

Well, if the 360 is selling so well and flying off the shelves like some fanboys claim, why do they feel the need to include not only a free game, but a 20 dollar gift card along with it? Are they trying to get rid of their 20 dollar gift card stock? LoL! C'mon, obviously they have tons of 360's in stock and they want to get rid of some of it. Why are some people so blind? I'm not trying to say that the 360 isn't selling well at all. I'm just trying to let fanboys know that the 360 isn't exactly flying off of shelves and blowing the Wii and PS3 away in sales.
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cjnwo4life
That has nothing to do with MS or the 360. Those offers are determined by the retailer and returns are also decided the same way. Just so you guys know retailers never give anything away for free, they always discount 1 or more products to give you the appearance of it being free, but in reality it isn't. And most retailers do not except open games unless the game is defective, in which case they will exchange it for the same game.
nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nyoroism

[QUOTE="nyoroism"]Don't buy the ones that give you a free game. I tried to return my 360 after seeing a better deal from a different place, and we went through so much trouble with it. Took about 4 days to get Circuit City to own up and refund my money.nnavidson

Official sales numbers show that they're selling fine.

I never said they weren't selling well, I was just saying that it's a hassle to return those kind of deals.
thehiddendoubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thehiddendoubt
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts

[QUOTE="Voryn_Dagoth"]The 360 is selling more than the PS3 in NA /Thread.theboxmike

Isn't what he said a fact?

He never said, "I think", "imo", "or from my point of view"

Self Owned

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaddyDC650
That has nothing to do with MS or the 360. Those offers are determined by the retailer and returns are also decided the same way. Just so you guys know retailers never give anything away for free, they always discount 1 or more products to give you the appearance of it being free, but in reality it isn't. And most retailers do not except open games unless the game is defective, in which case they will exchange it for the same game. cjnwo4life
If a customer is buying a 360 for retail price and receives a game and a 20 dollar gift card at no extra charge, I'm pretty sure they're considered to be free. The retailers might discount the item like you stated but they're still taking a loss.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

Looks as though the Xbox 360 isn't blowing away the other 2 next-gen consoles in sales. Retailers like Best Buy have not only started to give away a free game with the purchase of an Xbox 360, you also get a 20 dollar gift card along with it! I can understand them giving away an older game with an Xbox 360 to get rid of stock of certain older games but why do they feel the need to also throw in a 20 dollar gift card? What's next? A free HD DVD player? Could happen in the next couple of months if Blu-ray wins the next-gen format war. All in all, retailers like Best Buy seem pretty desperate to get rid of excess 360 stock to me. Lemmings, flame me for telling the possible truth! I yearn for it!

DaddyDC650

Dude... didn't you make this argument in a previous post already and everyone told you it was a stupid argument?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25393015

Why don't you just go review that thread so we don't all have to repeat ourselves.

And I believe YOU were the one claiming to be a master of marketting throughout that entire thread.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]My Costco and Sams Club are trying to sale me games and controllers bundled with the PS3. Oh no! The PS3 must not be selling.DaddyDC650
They do that with every system that they've sold. You also have to pay above retail for those bundles so you're not really getting the extra games for free. Just at a discount. Nice try but no.

Nope you are wrong. I recieved Resistance and a SIXAXIS controller free with the 60GB at Costco a while back. They had a ton, so they weren't selling.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]

Bgrngod
Dude... didn't you make this argument in a previous post already and everyone told you it was a stupid argument? http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25393015 Why don't you just go review that thread so we don't all have to repeat ourselves.

Well that thread was about how customers receive free games with a purchase of an Xbox 360. This thread is about how retailers have started to include even more free items to get rid of excess 360 stock. I would have bumped my old thread but I chose not to seeings as I would have had to edit the original post and because I simply did not feel like it. If you think this is a stupid thread, don't bother bumping it! There's some info for ya.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"]

DaddyDC650
Dude... didn't you make this argument in a previous post already and everyone told you it was a stupid argument? http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25393015 Why don't you just go review that thread so we don't all have to repeat ourselves.

Well that thread was about how customers receive free games with a purchase of an Xbox 360. This thread is about how retailers have started to include even more free items to get rid of excess 360 stock. I would have bumped my old thread but I chose not to seeings as I would have had to edit the original post and because I simply did not feel like it. If you think this is a stupid thread, don't bother bumping it! There's some info for ya.

It's the same argument either way it goes, and you are wrong. If retailers are trying to get rid of "excess" 360 stock, then why are they buying more systems from MS to "stock up" on? They want to get people in stores so they make incentives like this. If someone comes to their store to buy a 360+game+giftcard, then that person might also buy another game too.
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theboxmike

[QUOTE="theboxmike"][QUOTE="Voryn_Dagoth"]The 360 is selling more than the PS3 in NA /Thread.thehiddendoubt

Self Owned

Dude.......he said ps3 is selling more than 360 /Thread?

Doesnt that make you angry when he doesnt back it up with anything?:|

I guess you're right but that's just stupid.......

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="thehiddendoubt"]

[QUOTE="theboxmike"][QUOTE="Voryn_Dagoth"]The 360 is selling more than the PS3 in NA /Thread.theboxmike

Self Owned

Other way around bud.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
Yeah Futureshop was giving away GUn for free with the 360 . DO they wanna get rid of the xbox or the game?Notice they only give craptastic or old games away.
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 theboxmike
[QUOTE="theboxmike"][QUOTE="thehiddendoubt"]

[QUOTE="theboxmike"][QUOTE="Voryn_Dagoth"]The 360 is selling more than the PS3 in NA /Thread.Bgrngod

Self Owned

Other way around bud.

*crys in corner of shame* omgf hahaha:lol:sorry guys my bad:cry:
NY_Yankees_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NY_Yankees_FTW
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts
Yes, we all know retailers bundling a free game with a system means it's desperate to get rid of them. :roll:The_Game21x
i must admit this is such a pointless thread :roll:
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cjnwo4life

And better yet they might also look into getting a new TV, maybe a surround system. These incentives like you said are to get customer into the store with the hopes they will buy more than what they came for.

As for the thread starter, you might want to do some research on how retail works. Take some retail management classes to better inform yourself because you are missing some basic business knowledge here. 

gtx-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gtx-1
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
Oh yes! Bundles mean 360 CANNOT sell! Gears of War must be a non-seller, because Gamestop has a 360-GeoW-12 Months of Gold offer. Oh please, give me a break. :roll:
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bgrngod

And better yet they might also look into getting a new TV, maybe a surround system. These incentives like you said are to get customer into the store with the hopes they will buy more than what they came for.

As for the thread starter, you might want to do some research on how retail works. Take some retail management classes to better inform yourself because you are missing some basic business knowledge here. 

cjnwo4life
But wait, he already is taking a Marketting class. We should just let the master explain it to us and believe every word he says. I bet that retail job his pappy gave him makes him that much more of a pro.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="cjnwo4life"]

Bgrngod
But wait, he already is taking a Marketting class. We should just let the master explain it to us and believe every word he says. I bet that retail job his pappy gave him makes him that much more of a pro.

I already graduated from school so I'm not currently taking a marketing class. Btw, I'm sure cjnwo4life is the master of marketing since he's schooling me! (sarcasm).
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="cjnwo4life"]

DaddyDC650

I already graduated from school so I'm not currently taking a marketing class. Btw, I'm sure cjnwo4life is the master of marketing since he's schooling me! (sarcasm).

It wouldn't take a Masters in marketting to school you my friend, only common sense is needed.
cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
Aren't retailers desperate to get rid of all their stock? I mean, that's what retailers do after all :|
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaddyDC650
[QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="cjnwo4life"]

Bgrngod

It wouldn't take a Masters in marketting to school you my friend, only common sense is needed.

The only thing that makes sense to you is whatever comes out of your mouth. Just because I mention the 360 you have to defend it and whatever I say is wrong and whatever you say is right. Am I right? LoL!
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="DaddyDC650"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="cjnwo4life"]

DaddyDC650

The only thing that makes sense to you is whatever comes out of your mouth. (sarcasm)

Keyboard actually. (sarcasm!!!1!ZOMG)

And I am still waiting for you to make a better argument then "you're just a blind fanboy".

DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaddyDC650
I've made my argument a bunch of times. You should take time to read my older posts. Then again, you're obviously right and I'm wrong on this subject. For all I know, you own a major retail store yourself!
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bgrngod
I've made my argument a bunch of times. You should take time to read my older posts. Then again, you're obviously right and I'm wrong on this subject. For all I know, you own a major retail store yourself!DaddyDC650
I did read your older posts. You make the same argument 15 times. This does not make it correct.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
Retailers are trying to sell their stock! Who'd have thought?! :o
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Good news, better 360 deals.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts
If a customer is buying a 360 for retail price and receives a game and a 20 dollar gift card at no extra charge, I'm pretty sure they're considered to be free. The retailers might discount the item like you stated but they're still taking a loss. DaddyDC650

Gift cards are the best way to make it seem like you're giving something away for free, because of a couple of things:

1.- A lot of Gift Cards will never be redeemed, especially if they have an expiration date.
2.- A gift card forces you to purchase again at the same store... and let me assure you, it's very unlikely that you'll go to the register with $20 worth of goods once you get a gift card.

Heck, if I were a retailer, all of my promotions would involve gift cards.
thehiddendoubt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thehiddendoubt
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts

maybe the companies are just looking to beat their respective dealers by offering more??...and selling unwanted stock doesnt hurt lolda_real_deal

TC, this single post is makes much more sense than your "You're a blind fanboy" (not your exact words) arguments.

If you truly passed a marketing class, you would realize the above fact, but your unconvincing arguments are telling me that youare the fanboy, not us.

Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
Btw, I'm sure at least some of you will claim to be masters of marketing and will also tell me that they're giving away free games and a 20 dollar gift card because the 360 is selling so well that they want customers to purchase a 360 at their store instead of another. LoL!DaddyDC650
Self owned.
What retailers do or have in stock is no indication of how well a system is doing.  Look at the figures.  360 is sitting at the top, for now.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaddyDC650
I never claimed to be a master of marketing, LoL! This was just my personal opinion. I also stated that some people will claim to be masters of marketing themselves which is true. Not once did I claim my opinion to be a fact or to be a master of marketing. Pwned?