Resistance.Halo.Gears.Half-Life. Which is the better universe?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Before I begin, let me make it clear that this isnt a popularity contest about which main character you like best, and this certainly isnt a discussion about which game you think is the best (because we all know Half-Life would win :D). What I want to know is, which alien infested game universe you find the most appealing. And let me get something else out of the way, I didnt put Killzone in the mix, because the Helghast are human, and thus dont actually count as aliens and before you get on my case about Resistance, I know the origin of the Chimera is still up for grabs but for now, we'll just consider them aliens :P So which do you like?

Personally, I like the Resistance universe. I think the Chimera are the most aggressive and effective alien force in the video game world at the moment. Despite the name "Resistance" would lead you to believe, there really isnt much Resistance going on. Sure the humans are trying to cope, but the Chimera have basically taken over the entire world and most of the US. Think about it, in Resistance 1 they appeared in Russia, and then 3months later the whole of Europe was gone, with Brittain being the last human outpost. Now fast foward 2 years later, and practically the entire world apart from the US is gone! Now thats what I call relentless! What I like about the Chimeran invasion is that in this game, you actually feel as if humanity is overwhelmed. Its not like Halo where one guy can single handedly put a major dent in the alien forces. In Resistance even Nathan Hales great efforts seems quickly overshadowed by the next major Chimeran onslaught that completely obliterates humanity. Now thats interesting! A universe were humanity isnt just fighting a losing battle, they are fighting a long lost battle!

To all you Half-Life lovers, all I have to say is, while the actualy story is very interesting, the Univers it actually takes place in is rather dull. Its like we just jumped back to 1984 :? Now that wouldnt be a bad, if the whole Dystopia theme hadnt been done to death. :P

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

HL>Gears>Halo>Resistence

HL is very deep, Gears is just getting started but already has a very interesting world and story going for it, as well as characters. Halos is very evolved and deep now, comics, books, all sorts and all types of things going on.

Resistences sucks out right, some nobody main character, even Master Chief had a back story and interesting things about him, this Nathan whatshisstupidname is boring to look at and has nothing to him, theres very little to the world it's ju st set in world war 2 with some rip off locusts, rubbish. 

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

You know what's going to happen in this thread, right? All the PS3 fans will say Resistance and all the 360 fans will say Halo or Gears.

But anyway, I'd say Half-Life and Halo both have more interesting atmospheres than Resistance and Gears. Half-Life has this interesting Orwellian type of thing going on and Halo has a colorful/lush kind of look going on that instantly sets its universe apart visually.

To be honest, I find Resistance and Gears both quite generic looking, which automatically makes their respective universes uninteresting to me.

With video games, the universe has to be visually appealing for me to dig it.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
I would say Half-Life for me. Out of all of those, it's the one that I think really puts you in the shoes of the character. You're not some super soldier, you're just a human scientist. Other characters around you even add to the story, showing you the desparate state of the world, and out of those games that I've played (Can't comment on Resistance though) it's the only one where there are actually civilians around that can help you, and that aren't in just one portion of the game. So, for me, It goes Half-Life, Halo, then Gears and Resistance tie because I have't played Resistance enough to know the full story.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
half life I like the aliens in Resistance adn the world in Gears but everything else is a joke. Halo is just dumb
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
Warhammer 40k beats the crap out of any and all of them.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Half-Life is the only shooter that has ever had an in depth story. I couldint get into halo story cause it was boring. Resistance and gears stories are just meh. I know your talking about universe,but whats the point of caring about a universe when the story around it sucks.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tragic_Kingdom7

half life I like the aliens in Resistance adn the world in Gears but everything else is a joke. Halo is just dumbMarloStanfield

The storyline in Halo is dumb as hell, but I like how the universe actually looks. It has color and lushness to it.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 II_Seraphim_II

You know what's going to happen in this thread, right? All the PS3 fans will say Resistance and all the 360 fans will say Halo or Gears.

But anyway, I'd say Half-Life and Halo both have more interesting atmospheres than Resistance and Gears. Half-Life has this interesting Orwellian type of thing going on and Halo has a colorful/lush kind of look going on that instantly sets it apart visually.

To be honest, I find Resistance and Gears both quite generic looking.

Tragic_Kingdom7
Well, Resistance 2 is very colorful in sunny California and swampy Louisiana. But I wasnt all talking visually. Halo is a treat to look at but I dont like how it sort of comes out like a cheap B-rated movies at times, such as when the small covenant units are used for comic relief and the cheap 1 liners MC throws out every once in a while. :?

HL>Gears>Halo>Resistence

HL is very deep, Gears is just getting started but already has a very interesting world and story going for it, as well as characters. Halos is very evolved and deep now, comics, books, all sorts and all types of things going on.

Resistences sucks out right, some nobody main character, even Master Chief had a back story and interesting things about him, this Nathan whatshisstupidname is boring to look at and has nothing to him, theres very little to the world it's ju st set in world war 2 with some rip off locusts, rubbish. 

CreepyBacon
I like the Half Life story, but the general setting is just sorta boring. Its like they took 1984 and changed a few tibits. I wish they had done a bit more.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts

The storyline in Halo is dumb as hell, but I like how the universe actually looks. It has color and lushness to it.

Tragic_Kingdom7
If you're talking about the jungles in Halo 3 I agree. But he's such a stupid character and the aliens are so derivative
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tragic_Kingdom7

Well, Resistance 2 is very colorful in sunny California and swampy Louisiana. But I wasnt all talking visually. Halo is a treat to look at but I dont like how it sort of comes out like a cheap B-rated movies at times, such as when the small covenant units are used for comic relief and the cheap 1 liners MC throws out every once in a while.?II_Seraphim_II

Well, to be fair to Resistance, I am basing my opinion on the first game, which I find intensely borring visually.

I really don't get how you can discount visuals when talking about the universe of a video game. The visuals are a primary building block of a game's universe.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Halo definately has the best universe. I also like how it looks.
zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Half Life has the best setting for me . Resistance copies a lot of Half Life, gears' story is a joke and Halo HAD a story in part 1, but it ended when those end credits rolled .

However, the resistance universe scores lowest when compared with the other three . It just doesn't work for me . Half life has a scary universe , Halo has a cool universe and Gears floats somewhere in between .

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94

If I had to put in order it would be

Half-life then resistance. Even though Resistance 1 felt another WW setting the second one had great settings and beatiful visuals. I also love the chimara design. Just wish the character devlopment was better. This is just my opinion of course.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Halo...sorry but the novels and all the stuff that has gone into expanding this universe is just beyond the other 3 IMO.... Half Life Gears of War Resistance Half Life isn't so much about its great lore...as its lived more off the great story telling and how immersive the games are.......Gears of Wars universe has alot of potential...the story telling just isn't up to snuff. Resistance universe....well meh...whatever to that one... I expect alot of Halo Ignorance in this thread....so don't dissapoint :)
Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts
I like the Halo universe, but I've also read the books.  Half-Life is probably better if we're strictly talking games
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
The Half Life universe is my favorite.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]Well, Resistance 2 is very colorful in sunny California and swampy Louisiana. But I wasnt all talking visually. Halo is a treat to look at but I dont like how it sort of comes out like a cheap B-rated movies at times, such as when the small covenant units are used for comic relief and the cheap 1 liners MC throws out every once in a while.?Tragic_Kingdom7

Well, to be fair to Resistance, I am basing my opinion on the first game, which I find intensely borring visually.

I really don't get how you can discount visuals when talking about the universe of a video game. The visuals are a primary building block of a game's universe.

You are right about visuals being very important, I misspoke :P I meant to say visuals arent the only factor. Halo is probably the best looking visually, but the characters that inhabit the world, the alien race, the people of earth and so forth arent exactly all that great. Half-Life has great characters but the world is so drab and boring. Half-Life world is what Resistance 1 world was, dull and boring, it just happens to have a good story which Resistance doesnt.
I would say Half-Life for me. Out of all of those, it's the one that I think really puts you in the shoes of the character. You're not some super soldier, you're just a human scientist. Other characters around you even add to the story, showing you the desparate state of the world, and out of those games that I've played (Can't comment on Resistance though) it's the only one where there are actually civilians around that can help you, and that aren't in just one portion of the game. So, for me, It goes Half-Life, Halo, then Gears and Resistance tie because I have't played Resistance enough to know the full story.Legendaryscmt
About Half-Life I think it has more of the super soldier element than Resistance. Here me out. I understand that Nathan Hale is part of the sentinels and is a "super soldier, but what I like about Resistance is that it doesnt have a Messiah complex. In Half-Life Gordon Freeman is seen as being the savior who will make everything all better. Same goes for Halo and Master Chief, where everything is on him. And one can say the same about Resistance except that Resistance has one major difference, it only gives you the illusion of being the Messiah. In one of the intel documents Dr.Malikov talks about how the fate of Humanity now rests with Nathan Hale, and that would lead one to believe he is just another "Master Chief" but the events of the story tell another story all together. You see, while Nathan does some amazing things through the course of Resistance, his actions are ultimately fruitless. Even after his great work In Brittain, it still fell to the Chimeran Forces. There is 1 great part in Resistance 2 that captures this. Nathan has a huge mission that he accomplishes and nearly gets killed in the process. Anyways, he gets knocked out, and when he wakes up, he hears that despite his efforts, the Chimera have moved in and obliterated 18million people. 18 million people! It just goes to show that despite the illusion of N.H. being the messiah, he is fighting an enemy far more powerful than he could ever imagine and all his actions are fruitless. And after the conclusion of Resistance 2...I think the story can only get better :D
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 finalfantasy94

Halo...sorry but the novels and all the stuff that has gone into expanding this universe is just beyond the other 3 IMO.... Half Life Gears of War Resistance Half Life isn't so much about its great lore...as its lived more off the great story telling and how immersive the games are.......Gears of Wars universe has alot of potential...the story telling just isn't up to snuff. Resistance universe....well meh...whatever to that one... I expect alot of Halo Ignorance in this thread....so don't dissapoint :)jg4xchamp

Umm gears and Resistance are also getting comics and novels to.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Halo...sorry but the novels and all the stuff that has gone into expanding this universe is just beyond the other 3 IMO.... Half Life Gears of War Resistance Half Life isn't so much about its great lore...as its lived more off the great story telling and how immersive the games are.......Gears of Wars universe has alot of potential...the story telling just isn't up to snuff. Resistance universe....well meh...whatever to that one... I expect alot of Halo Ignorance in this thread....so don't dissapoint :)finalfantasy94

Umm gears and Resistance are also getting comics and novels to.

I know that.....i am saying what the novels and comics have given is what puts it over the top...As far as the universe is concerned.....
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tragic_Kingdom7

You are right about visuals being very important, I misspoke :P I meant to say visuals arent the only factor. Halo is probably the best looking visually, but the characters that inhabit the world, the alien race, the people of earth and so forth arent exactly all that great. Half-Life has great characters but the world is so drab and boring. Half-Life world is what Resistance 1 world was, dull and boring, it just happens to have a good story which Resistance doesnt.II_Seraphim_II

Well, IMO, Half-Life is not so much drab and boring as it's "sterile" looking. I thought the sterile look was artistically effectiv. With Resistance 1, I felt the game simply didn't really have a sense of style. I feel vindicated in thinking that simply for the fact that Insomniac attempted to give the world of Resistance more style and more of a sense of individuality in the sequel.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

Half Life, one of the most well realised game universes there's ever been.  Halo has a well expanded universe, but not exactly an interesting one, the other two haven't had enough material to be considered "universes" yet.

speedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 speedsix
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts
Resistance shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Half Life and Halo.
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

The human world in HL under a Fascist Alien government is quite interesting I think.

Who doesn't like a government killing its opposition by sending capsules of headcrabs on their villages?  

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts
half life or resistance. i like the gritty reality of them, resistance had some really cool settings, but half-life dose the universe more justice, if half-life had resistance imagery it would be perfect
ScoopyMcScoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ScoopyMcScoop
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts
Half Life is overrated garbage. Look at me, I'm Gordon Freeman, everyone has a bone over me, I unrealistically don't talk at ALL either, and the ENTIRE game is from my BORING non-talking perspective. That's what they used to call lazy storytelling back in the day... now it's called innovative and fresh... puleeeze.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Personally, I like the Resistance universe. I think the Chimera are the most aggressive and effective alien force in the video game world at the moment. Despite the name "Resistance" would lead you to believe, there really isnt much Resistance going on. Sure the humans are trying to cope, but the Chimera have basically taken over the entire world and most of the US. Think about it, in Resistance 1 they appeared in Russia, and then 3months later the whole of Europe was gone, with Brittain being the last human outpost. Now fast foward 2 years later, and practically the entire world apart from the US is gone! Now thats what I call relentless!

II_Seraphim_II

In the HL universe, the Combine conquered Earth in 7 hours.

Owned:P

ScoopyMcScoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ScoopyMcScoop
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts
When did this become a "this alien force took this over in this amount of time" thread? What is wrong with people...
bobby_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobby_king
Member since 2003 • 2122 Posts
The only series big enough to even be called an "universe" is Halo. So there you have it.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Unquestionably Half Life

There is so much to the universe we are yet to learn, and things like the combine make it much more interesting, and add loads of scope.

Though I do like GeOWs universe quite a bit... it has grown on me, purley because its the humans who really seem like the agressors and 'bad guys'... The Locust really are the natives of the planet - the humans have been waging war, and drilling for imullsion...

As others have said Halo has better lore, however I think Half Lifes universe is the best realised by a huge margin.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skrat_01
Half Life is overrated garbage. Look at me, I'm Gordon Freeman, everyone has a bone over me, I unrealistically don't talk at ALL either, and the ENTIRE game is from my BORING non-talking perspective. That's what they used to call lazy storytelling back in the day... now it's called innovative and fresh... puleeeze.ScoopyMcScoop
1. He is not supposed to talk. His character is transparent. Its more about design than character. The players actions speak louder than words. 2. Its story telling is innovative. Its because of Half Life we have story telling in shooters, let alone the modern shooter that we see today.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Halo universe (though I didn't like Halo 3 much)
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
half life, halo, gears and then resistance.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

This may come as a shock to many but I'm going to say:

Halo ! :P :lol:

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

This may come as a shock to many but I'm going to say:

Halo ! :P :lol:

SecretPolice
wut? no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... i thought u woulda said unreal tournment!
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Its not like Halo where one guy can single handedly put a major dent in the alien forces. II_Seraphim_II
To be fair, it's the exact same case in Halo. Humanity gets its ass royally kicked.
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

Before I begin, let me make it clear that this isnt a popularity contest about which main character you like best, and this certainly isnt a discussion about which game you think is the best (because we all know Half-Life would win :D). What I want to know is, which alien infested game universe you find the most appealing. And let me get something else out of the way, I didnt put Killzone in the mix, because the Helghast are human, and thus dont actually count as aliens and before you get on my case about Resistance, I know the origin of the Chimera is still up for grabs but for now, we'll just consider them aliens :P So which do you like?

Personally, I like the Resistance universe. I think the Chimera are the most aggressive and effective alien force in the video game world at the moment. Despite the name "Resistance" would lead you to believe, there really isnt much Resistance going on. Sure the humans are trying to cope, but the Chimera have basically taken over the entire world and most of the US. Think about it, in Resistance 1 they appeared in Russia, and then 3months later the whole of Europe was gone, with Brittain being the last human outpost. Now fast foward 2 years later, and practically the entire world apart from the US is gone! Now thats what I call relentless! What I like about the Chimeran invasion is that in this game, you actually feel as if humanity is overwhelmed. Its not like Halo where one guy can single handedly put a major dent in the alien forces. In Resistance even Nathan Hales great efforts seems quickly overshadowed by the next major Chimeran onslaught that completely obliterates humanity. Now thats interesting! A universe were humanity isnt just fighting a losing battle, they are fighting a long lost battle!

To all you Half-Life lovers, all I have to say is, while the actualy story is very interesting, the Univers it actually takes place in is rather dull. Its like we just jumped back to 1984 :? Now that wouldnt be a bad, if the whole Dystopia theme hadnt been done to death. :P

You think the Chimera are bad? In Gears 2, Jacinto is virtually the only city LEFT! The locust are actually sinking entire cities at a time, now. I personally think the Chimera could learn a thing or two from them. :D However, I am not going to choose between the universes of any of those, I think I will just choose to enjoy them all!
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skrat_01

O don't gimme this bs. It's not BECAUSE of Half Life we have storytelling in shooters. That's the BIGGEST crock of fanboy crap I've ever heard. Are you sleeping with an executive at the company or something? Take your pills today. "He is not supposed to talk he is transparent." That doesn't give near good enough reason for why he never says anything and unrealistically makes me feel like I'm a cardboard cutout. People like you need to read a good book or something because it makes me sick to think that Half Life's storytelling is considered good in this entertainment medium because it's character is, as you say, "transparent," aka, in the real world, COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC and IMPOSSIBLE to connect to. The word transparent should be replaced with shallow is more like it. Half Life is overrated, PERIOD. Give me a flawed character that TRIES over a character that is supposed to say as much as the turkey I ate on Thanksgiving in order to preserve a "never-was-there-in-the-first-place" immersion factor. Get over yourselves and off your high horses Half Life lovers. The games were good. Not genre OR life defining... some people would seriously sleep with Gordon Freeman if he were real I swear it's sick how much you people appreciate this poor excuse for characterization and storytelling... LAZY is what it is.ScoopyMcScoop
:|

Why bother replying to this, there is enough information out there that covers my response.
Writing a proper response to you, isn't going to do you any favours, and doing so is a complete waste of time.

Keep clinging to your opinion.

There is a big difference between being a fanboy and being correct, other than that your ignorance on the matter shines.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
HL and its not even close. Resistence is a good series and all but storyline is not one of its strong points
Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xalaten
Member since 2006 • 965 Posts

Half Life 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and the reason is simple.  The first time I played it I was in awe of the world I was presented with.  No other game had ever captured, for me, the claustrophobic feeling of the entire world being under alien control.

The first time I stepped out of the main City 17 building into the square my jaw dropped.  Through most of the game I truly felt like I was one of the only people on earth fighting the good fight and every step was tense and exciting.

...but the thing that pushed the lore over the top was the zombies.  I mean, not only did you have these creatures from outerspace but you also had your own people coming back to life and trying to kill you because of the head crabs.  Let us not forget that perhaps the greatest fps level in history is Ravenholme.

So I'm going with Half Life 2.

Xalaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xalaten
Member since 2006 • 965 Posts

I've gotta say this.  I'm sorry but the Halo books aren't exactly high art and good prose.  I couldn't even get through the first one I tried to read.

Then again I'm used to George Martin.

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
:|

Why bother replying to this, there is enough information out there that covers my response.
Writing a proper response to you, isn't going to do you any favours, and doing so is a complete waste of time.

There is a big difference between being a fanboy and being correct, other than that your ignorance on the matter shines.

skrat_01
You know, I've got to say, I don't entirely agree with the severity of his points, but a combination of condescending talk, a Wikipedia article likely written by *huge* Half-Life fans, and awards from an obscure gamings site that gives honourable mentions to The Sims and Jade Empire for storytelling awards isn't likely to convince him that a character who says nothing is deep and transparent rather than just shallow. At the point where your argument is essentially "See, someone agrees with me!" you're not debating the point, just turning it into a popularity contest - which is what any FPS peeing match turns into, if the `Who would win in a fight?' threads are any indicator.
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shafftehr

I've gotta say this.  I'm sorry but the Halo books aren't exactly high art and good prose.  I couldn't even get through the first one I tried to read.

Then again I'm used to George Martin.

Xalaten
George R.R. Martin isn't exactly high art and great prose either - the guy is a vastly better story maker than he is a writer. Those who live in grass huts and all that...
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Half life universe for sure
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]:|

Shafftehr

You know, I've got to say, I don't entirely agree with the severity of his points, but a combination of condescending talk, a Wikipedia article likely written by *huge* Half-Life fans, and awards from an obscure gamings site that gives honourable mentions to The Sims and Jade Empire for storytelling awards isn't likely to convince him that a character who says nothing is deep and transparent rather than just shallow. At the point where your argument is essentially "See, someone agrees with me!" you're not debating the point, just turning it into a popularity contest - which is what any FPS peeing match turns into, if the `Who would win in a fight?' threads are any indicator.

Well when somebody flames you, you arent exactly going to go to alot of trouble for a response. As for obscure sites? What? GamaSutra?..... its THE best gaming site out there.... and has massive ties to the industry...It probably the most respected gaming source out there (its features are fantastic)

I can argue Gordon's character is transparent, fact is his character is - he originally was not even supposed to have a visual representation - his character is purley game design for storytelling, and couple of these articles it runs over it, the rest run over the story telling techniques and how influential they are (whereas as the former poster claims them not to be so).

Sure my reply is arrogant as hell, what do you expect when you are replying to such a post? A sincere reply?

edit*

Ok I wont be a dick - after rummaging through book marks I found this article
Now even though its a GamesRadar article, its very very good, and pretty much runs over Gordons character, and what i am rambling on about, which saves me the job recycling it with my own words. Its a good read too.

This line pretty much summarises it: "Gordon Freeman will remain the ultimate example of "Less is more" in character design."

Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shafftehr
Well when somebody flames you, you arent exactly going to go to alot of trouble for a response. As for obscure sites? What? GamaSutra?..... its THE best gaming site out there.... and has massive ties to the industry...It probably the most respected gaming source out there (its features are fantastic)

I can argue Gordon's character is transparent, fact is his character is - he originally was not even supposed to have a visual representation - his character is purley game design for storytelling, and couple of these articles it runs over it, the rest run over the story telling techniques and how influential they are (whereas as the former poster claims them not to be so).

Sure my reply is arrogant as hell, what do you expect when you are replying to such a post? A sincere reply?

skrat_01

Duh... What? Perhaps you'd care to tell me about at which point in my decade + of following gaming journalism I missed the memo telling me that GamaSutra was THE best gaming site out there and was the most respected gaming site out there? Well, thanks, I'm glad you got me up to speed on what I manged to *completely miss* keeping an eye on various gaming sites and forums for ten or so years now.

Yes, his character is transparent, but that's a far cry from making him anything but shallow. Does this transparency give him any depth? I don't see it. Half-Life is a well told story, but the aim of that story isn't to make Gordon Freeman a fleshed out character in any sense of the term. I think a lot of Half-Life fans get their general enthusiastic love of the series cloud Valve's intent and end result with the character... There's next to nothing to him. They never intended for there to be anything to him. The poster you responded to actually had a reasonable metaphor - he's like the Thanksgiving turkey that brings the family together for a great time. It's an ugly brown lump in the middle of the table that doesn't do much or have much to it on its own, but it's a great excuse for a good time with lots of friends. Gordon Freeman IS that turkey.

If you can't do anything but respond with arrogance and snide comments to him, explain to me why our speechless protagonist Gordon Freeman with no backstory other than that he's an MIT grad, who gives no reactions whatsoever to the animated world around him other than to shoot things, isn't a shallow character.  And do try and remember - Half-Life being a game with a well told story doesn`t come close to equating with having a well fleshed out character.  One of the definining European novels of the last century, The Man Without Qualities, goes a long way to proving that.  Actually, come to think about it, Ulrich reminds me a bit of Gordon Freeman...

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01

Duh... What? Perhaps you'd care to tell me about at which point in my decade + of following gaming journalism I missed the memo telling me that GamaSutra was THE best gaming site out there and was the most respected gaming site out there? Well, thanks, I'm glad you got me up to speed on what I manged to *completely miss* keeping an eye on various gaming sites and forums for ten or so years now.

Yes, his character is transparent, but that's a far cry from making him anything but shallow. Does this transparency give him any depth? I don't see it. Half-Life is a well told story, but the aim of that story isn't to make Gordon Freeman a fleshed out character in any sense of the term. I think a lot of Half-Life fans get their general enthusiastic love of the series cloud Valve's intent and end result with the character... There's next to nothing to him. They never intended for there to be anything to him. The poster you responded to actually had a reasonable metaphor - he's like the Thanksgiving turkey that brings the family together for a great time. It's an ugly brown lump in the middle of the table that doesn't do much or have much to it on its own, but it's a great excuse for a good time with lots of friends. Gordon Freeman IS that turkey.

If you can't do anything but respond with arrogance and snide comments to him, explain to me why our speechless protagonist Gordon Freeman with no backstory other than that he's an MIT grad, who gives no reactions whatsoever to the animated world around him other than to shoot things, isn't a shallow character.  And do try and remember - Half-Life being a game with a well told story doesn`t come close to equating with having a well fleshed out character.  One of the definining European novels of the last century, The Man Without Qualities, goes a long way to proving that.  Actually, come to think about it, Ulrich reminds me a bit of Gordon Freeman...

Shafftehr

Well when you call GamaSutra 'obscure' honestly, how am I going to reply? Its far from obscure...... You dont need to get angry over it, GamaSutra is what I have said it to be...

Again, Half Life both the first and the second are full of flaws and off quirks - I can point them out left right and center, and again ill repost my edit - that i reposted before you replied:

"

Ok I wont be a dick - after rummaging through book marks I found this article
Now even though its a GamesRadar article, its very very good, and pretty much runs over Gordons character, and what i am rambling on about, which saves me the job recycling it with my own words. Its a good read too.

This line pretty much summarises it: "Gordon Freeman will remain the ultimate example of "Less is more" in character design."

"

Gordon is supposed to be a clean slate, his bare bones background is reason for him being in Black Mesa; its the player who causes the catastrophe in the first,  and engages in the saga from start to finish. The player is there as gordon; Gordon has no voice, as it would not be the players, the players own actions define who Gordons character is, and effects on the game world, and story. Gordon is completely transparent in Half Life. He is not even a proper game character. He is there purely as a piece of game design, and Valve completely reinvented the 'silent protagonist', and the way games are presented and stories told.  

Now its not obvious, and lots of people hate it - and much rather alternative ways of storytelling, and a character that can represent them, and they can relate too but that's how 'Gordon' is.

It sure as hell is not bad, if it was Half Life would not have got the praise for being as innovative in storytelling as it is, however its sure as hell is not going to appeal to everyone...... 

Now honestly, i'm not acting like a gushing zealot fanboy, nor am i making things up, or giving undeserving praise. It just so happens that Gordon Freeman's character is 'transparent' and the storytelling in half life is innovative........

Now is what I have said a "bs", a " crock of fanboy crap" and a result of me "sleeping with an executive", or did I take my "pills today".
Again, originally, HOW am i going to respond to getting flamed like that? :|  I type the above because your reply or attitude is not THAT.

inertk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 inertk
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
Obviously Half Life. The other 3 aren't worth caring about.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
half life easily is the best. maybe the novels make halo better, but i am not really going to read halo novels when there so many better novels out there